Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Chromecast Audio

Just got a couple of Chromecast Audios, missed Worrie`s 14 quid sale earlier in week, ebay now has several vendors with them less than the 30 quid RRP.

Finally solved the first world problem of DAB radios in seperate rooms being out of sync,CA`s grouping option allows true synced multi-room audio. Cheap P.C. speakers and CA dongle all in for less than 50 quid a point.

If cast from an app, like iplayer radio, the box stays locked on to what it was tuned to, so can start radio and shut app down. Can also cast audio from web sources from cast tab in chrome browser.

Sonos is going to have re evaluate its model...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Adam
Aglionby writes
Just got a couple of Chromecast Audios, missed Worrie`s 14 quid sale
earlier in week, ebay now has several vendors with them less than the
30 quid RRP.

Finally solved the first world problem of DAB radios in seperate rooms
being out of sync,CA`s grouping option allows true synced multi-room
audio. Cheap P.C. speakers and CA dongle all in for less than 50 quid a
point.

If cast from an app, like iplayer radio, the box stays locked on to
what it was tuned to, so can start radio and shut app down. Can also
cast audio from web sources from cast tab in chrome browser.

Sonos is going to have re evaluate its model...

Yeah picked up a couple more from PCworld a couple of weeks ago for £15
each, we have 3 here now. Works so much better than bluetooth.

Though haven't played with the multiroom bit yet.

I've not worked out the best way to play back local content (say from
the server, via the phone), but then we stream spotify and iplayer
mostly.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adam Aglionby wrote:
Just got a couple of Chromecast Audios, missed Worrie`s 14 quid sale
earlier in week, ebay now has several vendors with them less than the 30
quid RRP.

Finally solved the first world problem of DAB radios in seperate rooms
being out of sync,CA`s grouping option allows true synced multi-room
audio.

Did all that some 30 odd years ago. A single telephone cable with 10
balanced pairs going to every room. 4 receivers feeding it - 4 channels
covers most of my listening needs. The 5th stereo circuit carries the
output of the main sound system in the lounge.

So all that's needed in any room is a selector switch, amp and speakers.
You can use cheap if not worried about the quality, or decent one where
needed.

--
*When the going gets tough, the tough take a coffee break *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Convenience in a 2" wireless box, have a few audio lines tied around but this makes anything with an aux in a wireless internet receiver.

Reminds me in principle of the long gone Kerbango internet radio that was tied to Real Player :-/

Multi room sync was selling point to me, set up couldn`t be simpler, few apps can integrate DLNA or serve from local drive, Bubble and Local Cast seem to be popular away from Plex and Kodi at full media server end.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adam Aglionby wrote:
Convenience in a 2" wireless box, have a few audio lines tied around but
this makes anything with an aux in a wireless internet receiver.

Reminds me in principle of the long gone Kerbango internet radio that
was tied to Real Player :-/

Multi room sync was selling point to me, set up couldn`t be simpler, few
apps can integrate DLNA or serve from local drive, Bubble and Local Cast
seem to be popular away from Plex and Kodi at full media server end.

Yes - but you seem to have had to wait for 30 years to get what I did
then. And wireless anything is never as good as cable.

--
*A fool and his money are soon partying *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, March 7, 2016 at 12:09:05 PM UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Adam Aglionby wrote:
Convenience in a 2" wireless box, have a few audio lines tied around but
this makes anything with an aux in a wireless internet receiver.

Reminds me in principle of the long gone Kerbango internet radio that
was tied to Real Player :-/

Multi room sync was selling point to me, set up couldn`t be simpler, few
apps can integrate DLNA or serve from local drive, Bubble and Local Cast
seem to be popular away from Plex and Kodi at full media server end.

Yes - but you seem to have had to wait for 30 years to get what I did
then. And wireless anything is never as good as cable.

--
*A fool and his money are soon partying *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Became an issue with DAB, analogue radios in seperate rooms are by nature in sync, when moved to DAB , 6Music is general background here, delays between different sources became irritating.

Freeview audio seemed to take precedence over couple of Pure DABs have about, which being different eras wouldn`t sync with each other even from cold start.

Phone or tablet as remote saves a stack on panel controls :-)

Tend to agree on wired generally being preferable.

Wireless allows matching sounds in the garden though and Wifi is far preferable to bluetooth :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adam Aglionby wrote:
Convenience in a 2" wireless box, have a few audio lines tied around
but this makes anything with an aux in a wireless internet receiver.

Reminds me in principle of the long gone Kerbango internet radio
that was tied to Real Player :-/

Multi room sync was selling point to me, set up couldn`t be simpler,
few apps can integrate DLNA or serve from local drive, Bubble and
Local Cast seem to be popular away from Plex and Kodi at full media
server end.

Yes - but you seem to have had to wait for 30 years to get what I did
then. And wireless anything is never as good as cable.

Became an issue with DAB, analogue radios in seperate rooms are by
nature in sync, when moved to DAB , 6Music is general background here,
delays between different sources became irritating.

Other problem with a radio in each room is providing a decent aerial
signal to it. The prime reason for my audio distribution system here as FM
reception in this part of London was poor. And I wanted the ability to
have the output from the main sound system in every room. So since the
major amount of work was installing the cables, might as well use a
multicore. Telephone cable is very cheap.

Freeview audio seemed to take precedence over couple of Pure DABs have
about, which being different eras wouldn`t sync with each other even
from cold start.

Yes. So if flitting between kitchen and living room when cooking, I use
the sound from the lounge TV. You'll not really see a sync difference you
can clearly hear.

Phone or tablet as remote saves a stack on panel controls :-)

Tend to agree on wired generally being preferable.

Wireless allows matching sounds in the garden though and Wifi is far
preferable to bluetooth :-)

If the sound in your garden is loud enough to hear any delay from that to
the house, glad I'm not a neighbour. ;-)

--
*Why isn't there a special name for the back of your knee?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Adam Aglionby wrote:
Convenience in a 2" wireless box, have a few audio lines tied around but
this makes anything with an aux in a wireless internet receiver.

Reminds me in principle of the long gone Kerbango internet radio that
was tied to Real Player :-/

Multi room sync was selling point to me, set up couldn`t be simpler, few
apps can integrate DLNA or serve from local drive, Bubble and Local Cast
seem to be popular away from Plex and Kodi at full media server end.

Yes - but you seem to have had to wait for 30 years to get what I did
then. And wireless anything is never as good as cable.

That's bull****. I used to play recorded FTA TV
on the laptop when bottling the beer, works fine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
Adam Aglionby wrote:
Convenience in a 2" wireless box, have a few audio lines tied around but
this makes anything with an aux in a wireless internet receiver.

Reminds me in principle of the long gone Kerbango internet radio that
was tied to Real Player :-/

Multi room sync was selling point to me, set up couldn`t be simpler, few
apps can integrate DLNA or serve from local drive, Bubble and Local Cast
seem to be popular away from Plex and Kodi at full media server end.

Yes - but you seem to have had to wait for 30 years to get what I did
then.

Well yeah, but this is now, not 30 years ago :-). I don't think dam is
claiming that multiroom audio is a knew thing just that the Chromecast
Audio is a pretty cheap and easy way of doing it.

It's somewhat easier (and cheaper assuming you already have the output
device) to plonk down a few quid, plug it set it up (dead easy) and be
playing whatever in a few minutes.

And wireless anything is never as good as cable.

Well horses for courses an all that. Whilst I do have cable to some bits
of the house ICNBA with the faff and disruption of getting it neatly to
all the places I might want it in this house (and I'd still want wifi
there anyway). WIfi is generally good enough now in this house (though
it did require 3 access points to get good coverage.

Not had any problems streaming audio with the Chromecasts over wifi
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Dave Plowman (News)
scribeth thus
In article ,
Adam Aglionby wrote:
Just got a couple of Chromecast Audios, missed Worrie`s 14 quid sale
earlier in week, ebay now has several vendors with them less than the 30
quid RRP.

Finally solved the first world problem of DAB radios in seperate rooms
being out of sync,CA`s grouping option allows true synced multi-room
audio.

Did all that some 30 odd years ago. A single telephone cable with 10
balanced pairs going to every room. 4 receivers feeding it - 4 channels
covers most of my listening needs. The 5th stereo circuit carries the
output of the main sound system in the lounge.

So all that's needed in any room is a selector switch, amp and speakers.
You can use cheap if not worried about the quality, or decent one where
needed.

The ring main concept of the GP desks lives on;!...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tony sayer wrote:
Did all that some 30 odd years ago. A single telephone cable with 10
balanced pairs going to every room. 4 receivers feeding it - 4 channels
covers most of my listening needs. The 5th stereo circuit carries the
output of the main sound system in the lounge.

So all that's needed in any room is a selector switch, amp and speakers.
You can use cheap if not worried about the quality, or decent one where
needed.

The ring main concept of the GP desks lives on;!...

Of course. I nicked the idea from the BBC. ;-)

--
*A hangover is the wrath of grapes.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adam Aglionby wrote:
Just got a couple of Chromecast Audios, missed Worrie`s 14 quid sale
earlier in week, ebay now has several vendors with them less than the
30 quid RRP.

Finally solved the first world problem of DAB radios in seperate rooms
being out of sync,CA`s grouping option allows true synced multi-room
audio.

Did all that some 30 odd years ago. A single telephone cable with 10
balanced pairs going to every room. 4 receivers feeding it - 4 channels
covers most of my listening needs. The 5th stereo circuit carries the
output of the main sound system in the lounge.

So all that's needed in any room is a selector switch, amp and speakers.
You can use cheap if not worried about the quality, or decent one where
needed.

The ring main concept of the GP desks lives on;!...

I should imagine not so much a "Ring Main" as a "Linear Bus" (same as
the 'Cheapernet'(tm) principle where both ends are terminated in the
cable's characteristic impedance loading where the sources are very low
impedance transmitters (or at least half that of the cable impedance) and
the receivers - 'listeners' - are high impedance 'monitoring' amplifier
inputs).

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Johnny B Good wrote:
The ring main concept of the GP desks lives on;!...

I should imagine not so much a "Ring Main" as a "Linear Bus" (same as
the 'Cheapernet'(tm) principle where both ends are terminated in the
cable's characteristic impedance loading where the sources are very low
impedance transmitters (or at least half that of the cable impedance)
and the receivers - 'listeners' - are high impedance 'monitoring'
amplifier inputs).

It's what it was called at the BBC.

Mine is as you say - actually just a radial circuit with terminations at
the end. Driven by SSM 2142 line drivers with an op amp before them to set
the gain. And SSM 2143 line receivers.

--
*Why is it that rain drops but snow falls?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Google Chromecast Audio (again) News UK diy 7 November 11th 15 06:41 PM
Google Chromecast News UK diy 6 November 5th 15 10:00 PM
Very Odd Audio Common Mode Condition Started Just Before Midnight 12/31--Audio Feedback Oscillation through Power Line? Mark & Mary Ann Weiss Electronics 1 January 2nd 08 04:56 AM
Marantz Audio Amplifier Model 1030 , Noise problem (audio inside) . [email protected][_2_] Electronics Repair 0 November 24th 07 11:33 AM