Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Google Chromecast

Yet another OT post.

Chromecast was` mentioned in a recent TV related discussion, which made
me wander off and read more, only to discover the audio version,
released September this year. Sounds perfect for playing mp3s from
almost anything.

So, assuming I have a desktop running W7 or a laptop running XP, both
with folders full of mp3 files and wireless connections, how does the
file actually play through the Chromecast? Does the Chromecast appear
as another drive, to which files are copied, or what? I'm far more
interested in playing mp3s from a PC than live streaming from a phone.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 05 Nov 2015 11:23:39 +0000, News wrote:

Yet another OT post.

Chromecast was` mentioned in a recent TV related discussion, which made
me wander off and read more, only to discover the audio version,
released September this year. Sounds perfect for playing mp3s from
almost anything.

So, assuming I have a desktop running W7 or a laptop running XP, both
with folders full of mp3 files and wireless connections, how does the
file actually play through the Chromecast? Does the Chromecast appear
as another drive, to which files are copied, or what? I'm far more
interested in playing mp3s from a PC than live streaming from a phone.

I'm currently listening to Hunky Dory streamed from a chromecast enabled
app (rocket player) on my phone. Couldn't find any linux apps that would
do the same a few weeks ago (don't have any windows machines). Sound
quality is very good and no issues as yet.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
writes
On Thu, 05 Nov 2015 11:23:39 +0000, News wrote:

I'm far more
interested in playing mp3s from a PC than live streaming from a phone.

I'm currently listening to Hunky Dory

You would be Wifey's best friend :-)

streamed from a chromecast enabled
app (rocket player) on my phone. Couldn't find any linux apps that would
do the same a few weeks ago (don't have any windows machines). Sound
quality is very good and no issues as yet.

OK, thanks. Given the price, I'm tempted to just suck it and see. If
all else fails, I could always copy mp3s from PC to my hand-me-down
Samsung S3 and use that as a player.

--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 05 Nov 2015 18:47:13 +0000, News wrote:

In message , John
writes
On Thu, 05 Nov 2015 11:23:39 +0000, News wrote:

I'm far more
interested in playing mp3s from a PC than live streaming from a phone.

I'm currently listening to Hunky Dory

You would be Wifey's best friend :-)

streamed from a chromecast enabled
app (rocket player) on my phone. Couldn't find any linux apps that would
do the same a few weeks ago (don't have any windows machines). Sound
quality is very good and no issues as yet.

OK, thanks. Given the price, I'm tempted to just suck it and see. If
all else fails, I could always copy mp3s from PC to my hand-me-down
Samsung S3 and use that as a player.

Reading Danny Colyler's reply has made me remember one annoyance; when I
tried to play (or cast, as it's termed) a file using google play I got a
" Unable to play the song. Can't play sideloaded song remotely" error.
It seems that google want you to store and play your music from "the cloud"
more detail he

http://cord-cutters.wonderhowto.com/...ecast-0150290/

So, I just ignored the google app and used another, problem solved.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/11/2015 11:23, News wrote:
Does the Chromecast appear
as another drive, to which files are copied, or what? I'm far more
interested in playing mp3s from a PC than live streaming from a phone.

When you initially set it up, you configure the Chromecast to connect to
your router via wifi. I used an Android app to do it, I presume there
are ways of doing it without a smartphone or tablet.

It then appears as a device on your network to connect to. You don't
store anything on it, you stream stuff through it.

--
Danny Colyer
"I'm riding a unicycle with my pants down. This should be every boy's

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Danny
Colyer writes

It then appears as a device on your network to connect to.

Excellent, thanks. Yes, that is what I assumed.

You don't store anything on it, you stream stuff through it.

Yes, I realise that. I wasn't sure how, from a Windows PC, but seems
interesting enough to play further.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11:23 5 Nov 2015, News wrote:

Yet another OT post.

Chromecast was` mentioned in a recent TV related discussion, which made
me wander off and read more, only to discover the audio version,
released September this year. Sounds perfect for playing mp3s from
almost anything.

So, assuming I have a desktop running W7 or a laptop running XP, both
with folders full of mp3 files and wireless connections, how does the
file actually play through the Chromecast? Does the Chromecast appear
as another drive, to which files are copied, or what? I'm far more
interested in playing mp3s from a PC than live streaming from a phone.

If you want to play audio from an app on your Smartphone then the app
needs to support Chromecast Audio but not all audio players do so you
may need to switch.

There are several other ways of doing this. See this article.

http://allaboutchromecast.com/chrome...arison-of-5-me
thods-for-streaming-local-media-files-to-chromecast/