Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Blocking a window advice please

Looking to block 2 windows, one in each upstairs bedroom. They are
identical, size approx 1.2m x 1.5m.

They are in a timber-frame extension that we added around 10 years ago,
so the council will have a copy of the drawings, showing that there are
meant to be windows there.
We are not planning to sell yet, but I am sure the buyers' solicitor
will request to have a look at the paperwork once we do.

Questions:

1. Do we require planning permission or any other paperwork for
that? Both bedrooms have 2 more windows each.
2. What would be a (very) rough estimate of the cost involved?
- remove double glazed windows
- Plasterboard internally + insulation
- Bricks on the outside
- Plaster inside + roughcast the outside.
- Access is easy, and may not even require scaffolding (most
can all be done from the inside and I will be happy to fill a
bucket with bricks/plaster/etc to be pulled to someone
standing on a ladder...).

3. Can I assume that the best man for the job would be a handyman-type
person, rather than having several people over for such a small job?

Many thanks in advance.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 4 March 2016 15:28:08 UTC, JoeJoe wrote:
Looking to block 2 windows, one in each upstairs bedroom. They are
identical, size approx 1.2m x 1.5m.

They are in a timber-frame extension that we added around 10 years ago,
so the council will have a copy of the drawings, showing that there are
meant to be windows there.
We are not planning to sell yet, but I am sure the buyers' solicitor
will request to have a look at the paperwork once we do.

Questions:

1. Do we require planning permission or any other paperwork for
that? Both bedrooms have 2 more windows each.

legally yes. Most people don't do it though. The buyer will likely ask for a valueless £200 insurance policy to cover it.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 4 March 2016 15:28:08 UTC, JoeJoe wrote:
Looking to block 2 windows, one in each upstairs bedroom. They are
identical, size approx 1.2m x 1.5m.
1. Do we require planning permission or any other paperwork for
that? Both bedrooms have 2 more windows each.

You may require planning; you will probably require Building Regulations approval to reduce the amount of daylight and ventilation in the rooms.

2. What would be a (very) rough estimate of the cost involved?

General builder - a thousand or two? You won't require full scaff but you will need an access tower or 2.

Ensure that your builder is aware you want the window removed carefully for subsequent ebaying.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
JoeJoe wrote:
[...]

Why not simply plasterboard over on the inside? You could easily make it
look like they ain't there. And if and when you sell, the new owner would
have the choice of leaving it as is, or reinstating. And no problems with
planning.

--
*A conscience is what hurts when all your other parts feel so good *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Haven't thought about that!

So just plasterboard and fill the void with insulation? What about
condensation?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

if the window's not fully airtight it'll get gradual ventilation. Use foil lined insulation (on the warm side!) to block water vapour.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 04/03/2016 16:51, JoeJoe wrote:

Haven't thought about that!

So just plasterboard and fill the void with insulation? What about
condensation?

A couple of our kitchen windows were plaster boarded over when we moved
in. We thought of reinstating them, but we preferred top have the extra
wall cupboards. Never been an issue about condensation. I guess the
plasterboard just soaks up any moisture, and it gets transmitted through
to the kitchen. It's all single glazed, btw.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
JoeJoe wrote:
Why not simply plasterboard over on the inside? You could easily make
it look like they ain't there. And if and when you sell, the new
owner would have the choice of leaving it as is, or reinstating. And
no problems with planning.

Good point.

Haven't thought about that!

So just plasterboard and fill the void with insulation? What about
condensation?

I'd first clean the window inside and paint it with black emulsion. Easy
enough to scrape off afterwards if needed. Don't think condensation will
be a problem - unless it was before. The plasterboard and insulation will
mean the window is about the same temperature on both sides.

The black paint will make it look good from the outside. Seeing insulation
etc through it decidedly naff. ;-)

--
*A plateau is a high form of flattery*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

I'd make some sort of shutters that could be almost permanently left closed.
On the outside or inside depending on the reason for blocking.
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

As said by Dave, black the windows from the inside.

Leave the window shutters open to allow an element of ventilation.

Ensure there is a small gap between window and insulation, use batons to
stand off the insulation.

Use foil backed plasterboard. There must be an efficient vapour barrier
to stop warm moist air from the room from escaping into the window cavity.

You shouldn't see any condensation.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 4 March 2016 17:17:24 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
JoeJoe wrote:
Why not simply plasterboard over on the inside? You could easily make
it look like they ain't there. And if and when you sell, the new
owner would have the choice of leaving it as is, or reinstating. And
no problems with planning.

Good point.

Haven't thought about that!

So just plasterboard and fill the void with insulation? What about
condensation?

I'd first clean the window inside and paint it with black emulsion. Easy

would look odd. A curtain might be better.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

That's a recipe for trapping moisture between window and plasterboard -
resulting in mildew and fungus build-up, which you can't get at to
remedy without removing the plasterboard. You'll know it's there when
the plasterboard turns black! I've seen one or two nasty examples of
that - admittedly with poorly sealed single glazing, but plasterboard
behind double glazing could well suffer the same fate.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
I'd first clean the window inside and paint it with black emulsion.

would look odd. A curtain might be better.

It doesn't. I know because I've done it. Especially on an upstairs window
where you'll not get close to it.

--
*What do little birdies see when they get knocked unconscious? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

JoeJoe wrote:
Why not simply plasterboard over on the inside? You could easily
make
it look like they ain't there. And if and when you sell, the new
owner would have the choice of leaving it as is, or reinstating. And
no problems with planning.

Good point.

Haven't thought about that!

So just plasterboard and fill the void with insulation? What about
condensation?

I'd first clean the window inside and paint it with black emulsion. Easy

would look odd. A curtain might be better.

Not sure its going to look great for too long tho.
Something that looks like an internal shutter
would probably look fine for much longer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:
I'd first clean the window inside and paint it with black emulsion.

would look odd. A curtain might be better.

Not sure its going to look great for too long tho.
Something that looks like an internal shutter
would probably look fine for much longer.

It might initially. But as with curtains or blinds might start to look
tatty or dirty in time as can the inside of the window. And you'd not be
able to clean it.

--
*Bigamy is having one wife too many - monogamy is the same

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/03/2016 11:15, Brian Gaff wrote:
The problem may be worse if you are in a conservation zone though.Might one
ask why these need to be blocked, Perhaps just something temporary could be
done on the inside which could be removed by any buyer later on.
Brian

Just to clarify:

we never really wanted those windows in the first place. The council
forced us to have two HUGE windows in each bedroom as a condition for
the PP being granted. That was the order of the day at the time by these
idiots - our neighbours on either side that had a similar extension done
3 years later were not required to do that... Then our architect made a
heroic effort and managed to persuade us, against our better judgement,
that the one extra window in each room was a must (his words). Needles
to say that neither of the extra windows HAVE EVER been opened, and in
fact the curtains have only ever being drawn to wipe the dust off the
windows sills every few months...

They do, however, seriously limit the layout options, so unless very
expensive, we would rather make do without them all together.

Mentioned the suggestion about partial blocking to The Boss, and she is
having non of it and wants it done properly (her words)...

So, back to my original questions please:

- Do I need any permission from the council, and;
- rough estimate of cost

Thanks again.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
JoeJoe wrote:
So, back to my original questions please:

- Do I need any permission from the council, and;

If the council insisted on them in the first place, they're unlikely to
allow them to be removed later, I'd say. But you can always ask them.

--
*Avoid clichés like the plague. (They're old hat.) *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Rod Speed wrote

I'd first clean the window inside and paint it with black emulsion.

would look odd. A curtain might be better.

Not sure its going to look great for too long tho.
Something that looks like an internal shutter
would probably look fine for much longer.

It might initially. But as with curtains or blinds
might start to look tatty or dirty in time as can
the inside of the window. And you'd not be
able to clean it.

That's what I meant.

But if it looked like the outside of an internal shutter,
it wouldn't ever look tatty tho it could look pretty bad
pretty quickly if you end up with mould on it etc.

Your approach of painting the glass black would do
much better but wouldn’t look anything like as good
initially. That would look rather odd IMO. It wouldn’t
be hard to paint the glass so it looks like an internal
shutter and since its on the inside of the glass, would
stay pristine except with the most obscene levels of
mould growing right thru the paint and it shouldn’t
be hard to avoid that by not letting it get that wet
and using an antimould paint like is used in boats
internally and bathrooms etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 05 Mar 2016 00:01:41 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:
I'd first clean the window inside and paint it with black emulsion.

would look odd. A curtain might be better.

It doesn't. I know because I've done it. Especially on an upstairs window
where you'll not get close to it.

I don't know if the top windows on this building were ever glazed or
always blind but very few people notice they are just painted if the
reaction of friends and colleagues when it was pointed out to them is
anything to go by.
https://goo.gl/maps/bzGPEsQ2RDE2

The fifth window along shows a bit of humour by a painter who did the
job a few decades ago and subsequent repaints have retained what he
did. A partially opened window with a painted paint tin and brush
on the sill.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"JoeJoe" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

Very likely if you were required to have them in the first place.

and;
- rough estimate of cost

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 5 Mar 2016 15:01:13 +0000, JoeJoe wrote:

- Do I need any permission from the council, and;

'Visit' the planning department with photographs and ask for an
informal opinion. You won't get an informed opinion here because none
of us know the context or why they were insisted upon in the first
place.
- rough estimate of cost

£1,000 - my guess

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
JoeJoe wrote:
Why not simply plasterboard over on the inside? You could easily make
it look like they ain't there. And if and when you sell, the new
owner would have the choice of leaving it as is, or reinstating. And
no problems with planning.

Good point.

Haven't thought about that!

So just plasterboard and fill the void with insulation? What about
condensation?

I'd first clean the window inside and paint it with black emulsion. Easy
enough to scrape off afterwards if needed. Don't think condensation will
be a problem - unless it was before. The plasterboard and insulation will
mean the window is about the same temperature on both sides.

The black paint will make it look good from the outside. Seeing insulation
etc through it decidedly naff. ;-)

So like this then?

https://goo.gl/maps/d7ZDELGcNL72

They are not windows.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

JoeJoe wrote:
[...]

Bit of a giveaway when they're all like that. But one or two among
ordinary windows - especially above ground level - are likely to go
unnoticed

--
*Why is the man who invests all your money called a broker? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes

Bit of a giveaway when they're all like that. But one or two among
ordinary windows - especially above ground level - are likely to go
unnoticed

Agreed. One of our windows is blocked off, and is not noticeable from
either inside or outside. Done long before we bought the house, so I
don't have construction details. Looking from outside, the inside of
the window is painted black (no colours any more), and just does not
stand out. From inside, you would never know there was a 'hidden'
window. The window is at the side of the house, but faces a road as we
are on a corner.
--
Graeme

UPVC Window advice John UK diy 10 January 1st 10 11:29 PM
Blocking in a basement window. dave Home Repair 7 August 25th 08 12:21 AM
Blocking a basement window big red Home Repair 5 November 15th 05 01:02 PM
Advice please-window company tarquinlinbin UK diy 30 May 27th 05 09:45 PM
Any advice on replacing a window? Grahammazy UK diy 0 January 14th 05 12:37 PM