Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gas Detector recs please

The first question my wife asked in the aftermath of the awful gas explosion
earlier was "Have we got a GD in the house?"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-35610607

We live in an old 2-up-2-down terrace. In the (extended) kitchen, there's a
Baxi combi boiler, installed 12 years ago to provide GCH.

The (Town) gas supply was routed thru the loft. A quick google shows that
town gas (rotten eggs) is lighter than air. In my case I will need a GD near
the kitchen ceiling and another one, high in the loft. Fitting a mains one
in the kitchen is fine but problem is, I have no electrics in the loft and
the one's I've spotted on an Ebay search, all need mains power :-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_fr..._ipg=200&rt=nc

Most of these are the portable one's use by Gas Board bods. Ideally I would
like one that you could permanently hang on the wall, similar to the smoke
alarms and powered by a 9v battery. I have lots of re-chargeable 9 volters'.
TIA

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bertie Doe wrote:

The first question my wife asked in the aftermath of the awful gas explosion
earlier was "Have we got a GD in the house?"

It's not exactly normal to have one fitted, though as you've found
they're available, probably more lives would be saved by fitting
dangerous dog detectors ...

The (Town) gas supply was routed thru the loft.

You have a pipeline from the 1970's into your house?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message

Bertie Doe wrote:

The (Town) gas supply was routed thru the loft.

You have a pipeline from the 1970's into your house?

Ah, looking at Dave's post, it maybe North Sea Gas. When we moved to
Cornwall 15 years ago, there was no gas. We used a Morso coal/wood heater,
brrr.

Gas arrived in the road 12 years ago. The local Gas Board dug up the front
path, took gas supply to front door and put a meter on side of front porch.

We got a plumber to install a GCH system. He ran the supply from the front
porch, up into the loft and dropped it down into the extended kitchen at
rear of property.

I guess the chance of having a gas leak in the loft is remote as he has
hidden the piping under the loft floor-boards. However, gas leaking from the
boiler at kitchen level, is likely to end up in loft?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bertie Doe wrote:
The (Town) gas supply was routed thru the loft. A quick google shows
that town gas (rotten eggs) is lighter than air.

Town gas? Where are you? Most of the UK converted to North Sea gas some 40
years ago.

--
*The man who fell into an upholstery machine is fully recovered*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bertie Doe" wrote in message ...
The (Town) gas supply was routed thru the loft. A quick google shows that

snip
the one's I've spotted on an Ebay search, all need mains power :-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_fr..._ipg=200&rt=nc

Interestingly, if you did the same Ebay search for "Gas detector" omitting
the word "combustible" you will see from items 9 and 11 onwards, that the
vast majority are for CO detectors.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_ip...ct or&_sop=12

Fair enough, CO is a gas but I wonder how many non d-i-y'ers believe they
have installed a combustible gas detector?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

You'd be astounded as to how much gas it would take to leak into a room before the concentration of gas in air gets anyway close to the lel (lower explosive limit). If you are really so scared it might happen to you try getting a competent person to carry out a soundness test on your installation.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

no doubt the vultures will be circling to sell methane detection equipment.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Don't know if Ed Sirrett is still dipping in here from time to time but the Corgi magazine used to report incidents and the follow up actions. There were always reports of removal from the register for unsafe work. I've been retired for some time and out of the loop but Ed might know if Gas Safe are as stringent. Things like leaving an uncapped pipe even though the supply was turned off was automatic removal. Kitchen ventilation was always a concern if a non flame fail protected hob was in use but it was understood a hob ring blowing out should smell but not reach explosive levels if ventilation was correct. (didn't stop the double glazers and kitchen fitter altering things sice the last gas checks)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Brown wrote:

The only time it might be sensible to have a combustible gas detector
is if the householder has absolutely no sense of smell.

Very few people are unable to smell mercaptans at the level they are
added to mains gas so I don't think it is worth worrying about.

I am unable to smell household gas, so it's not that uncommon.
Mix gas with rural or industrial smells and it's difficult.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"Capitol" wrote in message
o.uk...
Martin Brown wrote:

The only time it might be sensible to have a combustible gas detector is
if the householder has absolutely no sense of smell.

Very few people are unable to smell mercaptans at the level they are
added to mains gas so I don't think it is worth worrying about.

I am unable to smell household gas, so it's not that uncommon.

I do wonder whether the guy who sadly died in the Haxby explosion (I heard
the bang from about 10 miles away) may have had the same problem as you and
hence not realised that there was a gas leak... I imagine that the central
heating kicked in at 7:30 after gas had been building up all night to the
explosive gas/air concentration. Worrying that one of the comments on the
York Press web site story was from someone else in Haxby who had discovered
gas leaking from the underground pipes outside her new house when she first
moved in a year or so ago. Is there a problem in the area?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

NY wrote:
"Capitol" wrote in message
o.uk...
Martin Brown wrote:

[...]

Interesting, if her house was new it would have a plastic feed pipe
I believe. I wonder if it was connected to a plastic or iron gas main?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Capitol wrote:
Martin Brown wrote:

The only time it might be sensible to have a combustible gas detector
is if the householder has absolutely no sense of smell.

Very few people are unable to smell mercaptans at the level they are
added to mains gas so I don't think it is worth worrying about.

I am unable to smell household gas, so it's not that uncommon.

I suspect it is actually uncommon. It stinks to high heaven. Can you really
smell nothing?

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:
wrote:

Martin Brown wrote:

The only time it might be sensible to have a combustible gas detector
is if the householder has absolutely no sense of smell.

Very few people are unable to smell mercaptans at the level they are
added to mains gas so I don't think it is worth worrying about.

I am unable to smell household gas, so it's not that uncommon.

I suspect it is actually uncommon. It stinks to high heaven. Can you really
smell nothing?

Tim

Please re read the reply completely.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/02/2016 21:39, Tim+ wrote:
Capitol wrote:
Martin Brown wrote:

The only time it might be sensible to have a combustible gas detector
is if the householder has absolutely no sense of smell.

Very few people are unable to smell mercaptans at the level they are
added to mains gas so I don't think it is worth worrying about.

I am unable to smell household gas, so it's not that uncommon.

I suspect it is actually uncommon. It stinks to high heaven. Can you really
smell nothing?

Some people can't. My great aunt was nearly killed by a towns gas leak
as she had no sense of taste or smell at all. Everything tasted like
cardboard to her - she could only distinguish textures in food.

My dad could smell it and called the gas board. It was a serious leak.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Capitol" wrote in message
o.uk...

Martin Brown wrote:

The only time it might be sensible to have a combustible gas detector is
if the householder has absolutely no sense of smell.

Very few people are unable to smell mercaptans at the level they are
added to mains gas so I don't think it is worth worrying about.

I am unable to smell household gas, so it's not that uncommon. Mix
gas with rural or industrial smells and it's difficult.

Difficult to know how many (domestic) gas explosions there are pa. A lot of
elderly folk will set their GCH timers early, perhaps before getting out of
bed.

With the bedroom door closed and whilst asleep, they may not smell the gas.
I'm retired but I seriously think it's worth having one in kitchen another
in the loft, for peace of mind.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bertie Doe wrote:

Difficult to know how many (domestic) gas explosions there are pa.

HSE stats show between 1994 and 2004 show an average of about 35 gas
fires/explosions per year with fatalities tailing-off to a low of 2 in
2004. I can't find more a recent report

http://www.hse.gov.uk/gas/domestic/frontlinefinal.pdf

A lot of elderly folk will set their GCH timers early, perhaps before
getting out of bed.

Doesn't everyone?

With the bedroom door closed and whilst asleep, they may not smell the gas.
I'm retired but I seriously think it's worth having one in kitchen another
in the loft, for peace of mind.

Presumably you've already got CO detectors? It's several times more
likely to kill you ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 20 Feb 2016 14:39:05 -0000, "Bertie Doe"
wrote:

. Ideally I would
like one that you could permanently hang on the wall, similar to the smoke
alarms and powered by a 9v battery. I have lots of re-chargeable 9 volters'.
TIA

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Natural-Gas-.../dp/B00CGZWSIO

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mercury-350-.../dp/B003B1W3GE

http://www.carbonalarm.co.uk/gas-detectors/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

. Ideally I would
like one that you could permanently hang on the wall, similar to the smoke
alarms and powered by a 9v battery. I have lots of re-chargeable 9
volters'.
TIA

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Natural-Gas-.../dp/B00CGZWSIO

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mercury-350-.../dp/B003B1W3GE

http://www.carbonalarm.co.uk/gas-detectors/

Neither of us have particularly good senses of smell. Even less so, during
the wee hours. The 9v models (above) are the portable ones used by site
engineers.

I'm looking for something with a permanent fixing and say, an 85 Db alarm.
I've come to the conclusion that these types are mains powered. I will have
to bite the bullet and get mains installed in the loft, with alarm placed as
close to the ridge as possible. We'll sleep better. Also these 1840 houses
didn't have much loft ventilation.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bertie Doe wrote:

I will have to bite the bullet and get mains installed in the loft,
with alarm placed as close to the ridge as possible.

Rather than a new circuit, can you access the top floor lighting circuit
from the ceiling roses? Alarms are hardly going to be a high current item.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
o.uk...

Bertie Doe wrote:

I will have to bite the bullet and get mains installed in the loft,
with alarm placed as close to the ridge as possible.

Rather than a new circuit, can you access the top floor lighting circuit
from the ceiling roses? Alarms are hardly going to be a high current item.

Yes the rose is next to the hatch. The loft isn't fully boarded. It's just a
question of removing 2 screws and lifting a plank.

I guess the ceiling rose may also provide a 40w light which would be handy?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bertie Doe wrote:

the rose is next to the hatch. The loft isn't fully boarded. It's just a
question of removing 2 screws and lifting a plank.

I guess the ceiling rose may also provide a 40w light which would be handy?

Yes.

For the alarms, fit them to FCUs rather than 13A sockets, which will A)
prevent the alarms accidentally getting unplugged and B) prevent someone
using a 3kW heater on the lighting circuit. Label it accordingly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 20 February 2016 14:39:53 UTC, Bertie Doe wrote:
[...]

The bes thing you can do is to ensure that all places a gas pipe passes through are ventilated to prevent gas accumulations.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message
[...]

Makes a lot more sense to have mains powered gas sensors where the gas can
accumulate.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"hgww" wrote in message ...
"harry" wrote in message
On Saturday, 20 February 2016 14:39:53 UTC, Bertie Doe wrote:

Most of these are the portable one's use by Gas Board bods. Ideally I
would
like one that you could permanently hang on the wall, similar to the
smoke
alarms and powered by a 9v battery. I have lots of re-chargeable 9
volters'.

The bes thing you can do is to ensure that all places a gas pipe
passes through are ventilated to prevent gas accumulations.

Makes a lot more sense to have mains powered gas sensors where the gas can
accumulate.

We cook on electric and the Baxi is mounted in the (extended) kitchen. The
GCH is switched on/off manually as needed. No intention of fixing an alarm
in the kitchen, as the Baxi is well sealed and flued.

As you know, combustible gas rises and my main concern is the loft (where
the gas pipes are situated). I'm going to follow Andy's suggestion and get
an electrician mate to tap into the ceiling rose and install a 40w bulb
(handy) and hard wire in one of these http://tinyurl.com/zuw4u5u OR similar.

The house next door has just had the (extended) kitchen demolished by a
builder (not explosion). He's just removed all the Mundik block and is
likely to be onsite for at least 7 weeks. Our suffits' are already
ventilated but I'm going to ask his advice on ventilating tiles or ridge. If
the price is right .......
http://www.fixmyroof.co.uk/roof-vents/#dry%20ridge

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 22 February 2016 08:17:02 UTC, hgww wrote:
"harry" wrote in message
[...]

Rubbish.
Any active sensor can fail.
The best rule is KISS. Keep It Stupid Simple.
It's what's in the regulations anyway.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message
[...]

That's why I said SENSORS, ****wit.

The best rule is KISS. Keep It Stupid Simple.

Wrong, as always.

And nothing complicated about multiple sensors anyway.

It's what's in the regulations anyway.

More fool the regulations.

Your nanny state has never had a ****ing clue,
most obviously with power points in the bathroom.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message ...

"harry" wrote in message
On Monday, 22 February 2016 08:17:02 UTC, hgww wrote:

Makes a lot more sense to have mains powered gas sensors where the gas
can accumulate.

Rubbish.
Any active sensor can fail.

That's why I said SENSORS, ****wit.

It was hgww who said "SENSORS"
How many socks do you troll under, ****wit?

Bearing recs please [email protected] Metalworking 15 March 18th 14 05:34 PM
Recs for a good vice? Tim.. UK diy 5 March 5th 10 05:30 PM
sump pump recs cporro Home Repair 2 August 21st 08 04:35 AM
Heating System Recs plz Tim.. UK diy 0 September 6th 05 07:08 PM
Thermostatic Shower recs. Pete C UK diy 0 October 13th 04 10:31 PM