Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Health and softy for dishwashers

"Mr Macaw" wrote in message news
On Sun, 14 Feb 2016 17:06:06 -0000, T i m wrote:

On Sun, 14 Feb 2016 16:49:28 -0000, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

snip

It's got the same basket I've seen in everybody's dishwasher - about a
foot long and 6 inches wide divided into 8 compartments. You shove
about 10 bits of cutlery into each.

Not everybody's though. ;-)

Do you really have to place every individual piece of cutlery in one by
one?

Yes, but it's very quick to do (even when I do it).

Placing single items takes 10 times longer than placing groups of 10.

I have the cutlery basket on one of the kitchen benches
and put the cutlery from the current meal in the basket
after each meal. So there is no separate loading of the
basket before starting the dishwasher.

You'd be quicker washing them by hand!

Not if you include filling the bowl with water, washing, rinsing and
drying. ;-)

I never did dry. Isn't that what the draining basket on the draining
board was for?

However, having all the 'working ends' completely exposed and held
apart guarantees a much better wash than potentially having them all
bunched together.

Agreed, which is why I was surprised anyone did any different.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mr Macaw" wrote in message news
On Sun, 14 Feb 2016 17:54:16 -0000, wrote:

Mr Macaw wrote:
On Sun, 14 Feb 2016 15:37:15 -0000, wrote:

Mr Macaw wrote:
On Sun, 14 Feb 2016 10:36:50 -0000, wrote:

F Murtz wrote:
Mr Macaw wrote:
I can't believe it, I've just discovered the majority actually
face
their cutlery down in the dishwasher so they don't hurt
themselves.
What happened to cleaning them properly? What happened to being
able to
see which is which when you put them away?

I always put the blunt end down so they don't fall through the
basket.

The basket on ours has lots of little holes such that knives *have*
go blades down (the handles won't fit in the holes) and forks
*have*
to go tines up because only the handle fit in the holes. The
knives
always seem to come out clean anyway.

You have a posh dishwasher where you have to take the trouble to put
each
piece of cutlery in individually. I'm glad mine doesn't. I just put a
handful
of 10 of any cutlery item into each section of the basket.

Posh? It's a Beko. :-)

Mine is a Beko too, 1-2 years old. It's got the same basket I've seen in
everybody's dishwasher - about a foot long and 6 inches wide divided
into
8 compartments. You shove about 10 bits of cutlery into each. Do you
really
have to place every individual piece of cutlery in one by one? You'd be
quicker washing them by hand!

No, ours isn't like that. It's around the same size overall as yours,
but has two top pieces which make a grid into which you drop the
cutlery. It was a little awkward at first since previous dishwashers
were like yours but it's not so bad now and actually quiten handy when
getting them out.

You've just reminded me, I think mine actually had a flip down piece like
that, which I removed and discarded as it didn't make any sense. Easiest
thing in the world to use it without, you place 10 items of cutlery in
each section, business end up. Then take them all out together after the
wash. Nothing could be simpler.

That approach does keep the individual items more
separate so in theory should see less food remain
between the cutlery items at the end of the wash.

And with a removable lid you can use it whichever way you
like if you find that you hardly ever get any food not removed
when you don't bother with the lids.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 14 Feb 2016 19:37:13 -0000, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

snip

Like I said, it's got to be taken in context. It wasn't a measurement
of time per-se, it was the suggestion that it didn't take very long.

How many pieces of cutlery do you put in your dishwasher for one load?

I dunno, 'all that needs doing' probably? Basically I think the DW
gets used every day or when full (whichever is the longer).

snip

Yes. You *can* use the draining board to 'dry' (rather than just
drain) stuff, but it's often quicker to dry it by hand.

Why does crockery have to be dried urgently?

It doesn't.

Like it is generally quicker to dry stuff in a TG

What is a TG?

Sorry, a TD. ;-)

than to just peg it on a line
oustside or on a horse inside, especially if you are in a hurry and
consider all conditions.

snip

Correct? *IF you only have the bunchy basket thing* you don't have the
choice of having them held individually?

No, if you have the special fancy holder, you have no choice - you must put them handle down.

Quite.

If you don't, like me,

No, I think I do like you weg

then they can go either way up.

Yup.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 14 Feb 2016 19:40:59 -0000, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

On Sun, 14 Feb 2016 19:27:07 -0000, Tim Streater wrote:

In article , wrote:

Mr Macaw wrote:

Mine is a Beko too, 1-2 years old. It's got the same basket I've seen in
everybody's dishwasher - about a foot long and 6 inches wide divided into
8 compartments. You shove about 10 bits of cutlery into each. Do you really
have to place every individual piece of cutlery in one by one? You'd be
quicker washing them by hand!

No, ours isn't like that. It's around the same size overall as yours,
but has two top pieces which make a grid into which you drop the
cutlery. It was a little awkward at first since previous dishwashers
were like yours but it's not so bad now and actually quiten handy when
getting them out.

Trouble is that the grid holes are not circular, so you have to watch
that when you pull something out, it doesn't catch and pull the lid
off. Also the lid (top piece) is getting very ratty now after 5 years
of me having no patience with it.

Thass why when we get the kitchen redone, we're gonna get a new DW with
a top tray for the cutlery.

Why not just remove the offending lid like I did?

Or happen to have cutlery that doesn't get stuck? ;-)

Cheers, T i m.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 14 Feb 2016 21:28:42 -0000, T i m wrote:

On Sun, 14 Feb 2016 19:37:13 -0000, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

snip

Like I said, it's got to be taken in context. It wasn't a measurement
of time per-se, it was the suggestion that it didn't take very long.

How many pieces of cutlery do you put in your dishwasher for one load?

I dunno, 'all that needs doing' probably? Basically I think the DW
gets used every day or when full (whichever is the longer).

Mine is every 4 days for 1 person and 4 cats.

Yes. You *can* use the draining board to 'dry' (rather than just
drain) stuff, but it's often quicker to dry it by hand.

Why does crockery have to be dried urgently?

It doesn't.

Ah, we're using male logic.

Like it is generally quicker to dry stuff in a TG

What is a TG?

Sorry, a TD. ;-)

I was trying to think of the American for Dryer then realised you weren't an American.

than to just peg it on a line
oustside or on a horse inside, especially if you are in a hurry and
consider all conditions.

More expensive though. And a TD takes up space. I think I'm going to give mine away and gain room.

Correct? *IF you only have the bunchy basket thing* you don't have the
choice of having them held individually?

No, if you have the special fancy holder, you have no choice - you must put them handle down.

Quite.

If you don't, like me,

No, I think I do like you weg

But you're married! [crosses legs and pushes self off on chair]

--
Beelzebug (n.): Satan in the form of a mosquito that gets into your bedroom at three in the morning and cannot be cast out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

In article , wrote:

Mr Macaw wrote:

[...]

I like saving time and effort. Putting a handful of 10 cutleries in at
once is easier. Probably stems form the way I wash dishes. I shove all
dirty dishes on the draining board, and when there's about a dishwasher
full, I put them all in at once. Save times opening the dishwasher door
for every meal.

I leave the dishwasher door open all the time and put the
dishes straight into the dishwasher when I have finished
eating off them. The basket for the cutlery its on one of
the kitchen benches and the cutlery goes straight into
it as it comes off the plates after the the meal is over.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 14 Feb 2016 10:39:47 -0000, Richard wrote:

"Blanco"
Go and gut yourself, ****less.

Replying to nothing is a sign of insanity.

--
Peter is currently listening to 10 minutes of laughter set to music.

Health and softy gone mad Tough Guy no. 1265 UK diy 156 November 28th 15 05:15 AM
Health and Softy twatt Uncle Peter[_2_] UK diy 252 May 28th 14 01:36 AM
Dishwashers GMM UK diy 26 July 1st 12 06:37 PM
Effin Softy Act The Medway Handyman UK diy 48 August 23rd 11 12:47 AM
Am I a big softy? The Medway Handyman UK diy 30 November 16th 08 02:48 PM