Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hotpoint Dryer Recall Update

In article ,
Jaffna Dog writes:
On Friday, 12 February 2016 09:21:24 UTC, soup wrote:
On 11/02/2016 23:56, Davey wrote:

That was offered as an option, but at a price, I'm sure.

There is an offer 'if your dryer is a certain age and you cant wait to
have your dryer 'fixed' then you can buy (at £99) a replacement dryer'
Sure when I first got a phone call[1] regarding the 'modifications'
there was talk of replacements (ours is black wife wishes she'd got a
white one I was asking if they exchanged could we have the more common
colour).

I wouldn't have another appliance from the same manufacturer who let dud products out, as it indicates they have a serious systemic problem with design/manufacturing, there's no excuse for defective products to ever leave the factory if you have an effective Quality Control system.

Well, you couldn't even if you wanted to - Hotpoint hasn't existed
for years. The name in Euopre was used by Indesit/Merloni Brothers
for a while (together with Ariston, Creda, and probably others).

Just recently, the name was sold to Whirlpool (togther with the legacy
liabilities), and it's Whirlpool who decided they needed to fix this
old Hotpoint issue. Given that Whirlpool might seem to have a different
view of this issue from previous owners of the Hotpoint name, you might
instead assume current Whirlpool products sold under the Hotpoint name
would have better Quality Control, although that might not necessarily
follow.

With items that are DOA, it's quite possible that there's an issue with the whole production run, so a replacement is likely to be defective too. Always claim a refund, as the Sale of Goods Act stipulates.

The Sale of Goods Act no longer exists either...

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

....however, Quality Assurance and Design for Manufacture are specialities
that have come more to the fore in all industries. So things are getting
better (unless you want to service things to make them last beyond their
planned life)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

No but a lot of its terms, adjusted for more understand and commen sense
still do though the actual act name eludes me at the moment.
Incidentally, in the case of Washing machines called Hotpoint, considering
the single cold feed most have now, it should be called coldpoint!

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
Jaffna Dog writes:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I think the big question in this case is whether the fault condition is
actually dangerous, ie could cause a fire. I can remember even back in the
60s, tvs were routinely tested for this aspect. The odd thing was that it
was not the pcbs, or the wood in the cabinet that often let them down but
glue and laquers used in transformers and the self destruction of some
capacitors that caused issues. The backs just tended to melt.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
.236...

...however, Quality Assurance and Design for Manufacture are specialities
that have come more to the fore in all industries. So things are getting
better (unless you want to service things to make them last beyond their
planned life)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 19 Mar 2016 11:28:32 -0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

I think the big question in this case is whether the fault condition is
actually dangerous, ie could cause a fire.

They have casued fires. *BUT* possibly because the owners haven't
followed the makers instructions for use and kept the lint filter
clear. Lint builds up, eventually falls off either in little bits or
as lump and gets drawn to the heaters...

We have an affected machine, just looked at it. There is a layer of
lint on the filter but also small light bits in the bottom of the
slot just waiting to get drawn to the heaters.

Another design/ergonomic problem is that the lint collects on the
side of the filter you can't see when you just lift the filter up a
bit. You have to fully remove it and turn it around to check it. Yes,
it's fitted the right way round it won't go in the other way, I
tried. Thinking that it's a bit blooming daft to have to fully remove
the filter to check it when lifting it a little appears to show a
clear filter...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 19 Mar 2016 12:09:45 +0000 (GMT)
"Dave Liquorice" wrote:

Another design/ergonomic problem is that the lint collects on the
side of the filter you can't see when you just lift the filter up a
bit. You have to fully remove it and turn it around to check it. Yes,
it's fitted the right way round it won't go in the other way, I
tried. Thinking that it's a bit blooming daft to have to fully remove
the filter to check it when lifting it a little appears to show a
clear filter...

We just remove the filter and clean it every time we dry a load, so
that is not a problem.
But the guy who did the upgrade this morning showed me that there was a
film on the filter mesh that he said was the result of using dryer
softener sheets, and he recommended that I wash the filter in warm
soapy water. This I did, and there is a big difference in the
transparency of the filter mesh.
Before this, there was always some lint getting past the filter,
though, it would collect in the hose and discharge port through the
wall. Now it's all clean, it will be interesting to see if that gather
again after the mods. that were done.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote:

[...]

There must be different mods depending on the perceived risk for each
model. We reported ours (Hotpoint 5 years old) in late November and
there was no offer to repair - they swapped it out for a new Whirlpool
one early January foc - complete with 12 months warranty (and it doesn't
wet the floor from the condenser seal any more :-) ).

Never noticed a problem previously though it wasn't used that often -
the filter was cleaned after each use. Maybe the danger is associated
with heavy use and neglect...

Chris K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 19 Mar 2016 16:33:45 +0000, ChrisK wrote:

Before this, there was always some lint getting past the filter,
though, it would collect in the hose and discharge port through

the
wall. Now it's all clean, it will be interesting to see if that

gather
again after the mods. that were done.

On our un-modded machine only some of the air circulating through the
dryer passes through the lint filter the majority doesn't. So unless
the air path is radically changed I'd expect the amount of lint in
the exhaust to be more or less the same.

There must be different mods depending on the perceived risk for each
model. We reported ours (Hotpoint 5 years old) in late November and
there was no offer to repair - they swapped it out for a new Whirlpool
one early January foc - complete with 12 months warranty (and it doesn't
wet the floor from the condenser seal any more :-) ).

Condensor driers are a bit more complex that vented ones and the
impression I got from the recent news coverage is that the mods are
not a simple task.

Never noticed a problem previously though it wasn't used that often -
the filter was cleaned after each use. Maybe the danger is associated
with heavy use and neglect...

The instructions for continued use after you have registered an
affected machine basically say clean the filter after every use. This
implies the danger arises when the filter isn't clean.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/02/2016 13:01, Jaffna Dog wrote:
On Friday, 12 February 2016 09:21:24 UTC, soup wrote:
On 11/02/2016 23:56, Davey wrote:

That was offered as an option, but at a price, I'm sure.

There is an offer 'if your dryer is a certain age and you cant wait to
have your dryer 'fixed' then you can buy (at £99) a replacement dryer'
Sure when I first got a phone call[1] regarding the 'modifications'
there was talk of replacements (ours is black wife wishes she'd got a
white one I was asking if they exchanged could we have the more common
colour).

I wouldn't have another appliance from the same manufacturer who let dud products out

I agree. We bought a Hoover washing machine from Comet some years ago. I
put it on the hottest wash to make sure nothing remained from any
stagnant water that may have remained after any factory testing (do they
do any?) and it overheated, melting the soap drawer with the steam
coming up from the drum - surely there should be a hard-wired
over-temperature cut-out? Comet tried to insist on replacing it with the
same make and model, which I refused totally and, as they had no
equivalent available from another manufacturer, they finally had to give
me my money back.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/03/2016 12:09, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sat, 19 Mar 2016 11:28:32 -0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

I think the big question in this case is whether the fault condition is
actually dangerous, ie could cause a fire.

They have casued fires. *BUT* possibly because the owners haven't
followed the makers instructions for use and kept the lint filter
clear. Lint builds up, eventually falls off either in little bits or
as lump and gets drawn to the heaters...

If they are like the Hotpoint dryer that we used to have, there is a
plastic pipe (about the size of soil pipe) running from the front to the
back of the machine, where the vent pipe connects. That pipe was prone
to coming loose and any lint that bypassed the filter (there is always
some) built up under the machine ... which is where the air intake is,
so lint builds up under the machine and clumps are sucked in and passed
straight to the heater. We regularly smelt burning and found the bottom
of the machine caked with lint, the heater cover containing lumps of
charred lint and the pipe loose again. We no longer have that machine!

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hotpoint Dryer Recall Update Again

On Fri, 18 Mar 2016 12:25:36 +0000
Davey wrote:

On Thu, 11 Feb 2016 18:37:19 +0000
Davey wrote:

"Your repair status

Due to high demand it is currently estimated that we will be able to
complete the modifications to your tumble dryer in June.

We will be in contact with you in due course to arrange the repair
visit from our engineer."

4 hours in A&E doesn't seem so bad after all.

The Engineer is coming tomorrow, Saturday, they tell me.

He came along and worked on the machine; afterwards, my wife commented
that it sounded as though it was now supercharged.

Today, I receive a request to fill in a Customer Survey.

What to say: "It still hasn't caught fire yet"?

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Davey wrote:

The Engineer is coming tomorrow

He came along and worked on the machine; afterwards, my wife commented
that it sounded as though it was now supercharged.
Today, I receive a request to fill in a Customer Survey.
What to say: "It still hasn't caught fire yet"?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3394365

"Hotpoint tumble dryer at the centre of a fire risk warning burst into
flames AFTER an engineer had supposedly fixed the defect"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/03/2016 12:45, Andy Burns wrote:
Davey wrote:

The Engineer is coming tomorrow

He came along and worked on the machine; afterwards, my wife commented
that it sounded as though it was now supercharged.
Today, I receive a request to fill in a Customer Survey.
What to say: "It still hasn't caught fire yet"?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3394365

"Hotpoint tumble dryer at the centre of a fire risk warning burst into
flames AFTER an engineer had supposedly fixed the defect"

A relative had hers replaced with a shiny new one for £59 yesterday.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Davey wrote:

The Engineer is coming tomorrow

He came along and worked on the machine; afterwards, my wife
commented that it sounded as though it was now supercharged.
Today, I receive a request to fill in a Customer Survey.
What to say: "It still hasn't caught fire yet"?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3394365

"Hotpoint tumble dryer at the centre of a fire risk warning burst
into flames AFTER an engineer had supposedly fixed the defect"

A relative had hers replaced with a shiny new one for £59 yesterday.

Hopefully hers was not one of them, but I saw one report that some of
these 'new' ones were in fact refurbished old ones that had had the
same repair done, and were then sold on as replacements.

You pays your money and you takes your chances. Our engineer did say
that there was no dangerous lint build-up on our heating element. Maybe
because we clean the filter after every use.

--
Davey.

Hotpoint Dryer Recall Davey UK diy 21 March 13th 16 02:44 PM
Hotpoint gas dryer will not heat. David Farber Home Repair 3 September 10th 06 11:28 PM
Hotpoint Dryer John Smith Home Repair 2 June 17th 05 03:09 PM
Hotpoint Dryer John Smith Home Ownership 0 June 16th 05 01:35 PM
Hotpoint BWD12 washer dryer - dryer comes on by itself. [email protected] UK diy 1 January 24th 05 05:02 PM