Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default LED or Flourescent tubes for garage lighting

Hi folks.
While waiting for the "Part P police" to drag me off to a dungeon for
daring to do my own wiring in extension/garage I've got to the garage
now and am trying to decide on number of and placement of lights.

Just come across LED "tubes" as replacement to fluorescent tubes but was
wondering if they are particularly directional and cast more shadows
than the fluorescent tubes they replace?

Anyone tried them in a workshop situation that can advice as to their
suitability for said purpose?

Cheers
Pete @
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/02/2016 19:12, Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:
Hi folks.
While waiting for the "Part P police" to drag me off to a dungeon for
daring to do my own wiring in extension/garage I've got to the garage
now and am trying to decide on number of and placement of lights.

Just come across LED "tubes" as replacement to fluorescent tubes but was
wondering if they are particularly directional and cast more shadows
than the fluorescent tubes they replace?

Anyone tried them in a workshop situation that can advice as to their
suitability for said purpose?

Cheers
Pete @

Not in a workshop situation, but we recently replaced 6 fluorescent
tubes with warm white led tubes. Results were very good, (the flicker
from the original tubes was bothering some of our shop-sitters) - and
the level of illumination was at least as good as the original tubes.

Our new tubes came with a 'fake' starter (think it's just a wire link
inside) which replaced the original starter. Very pleased with them.
Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default LED or Fluorescent tubes for garage lighting

Well they at least do not suffer the cold start issues that tubes do, a
point which is important if the garage is unheated.
Brian

"Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)" wrote
in message ...

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Hi folks.
While waiting for the "Part P police" to drag me off to a dungeon for
daring to do my own wiring in extension/garage I've got to the garage
now and am trying to decide on number of and placement of lights.

Just come across LED "tubes" as replacement to fluorescent tubes but was
wondering if they are particularly directional and cast more shadows
than the fluorescent tubes they replace?

Anyone tried them in a workshop situation that can advice as to their
suitability for said purpose?

Cheers
Pete @

The ants pants, have had two, Special in Aldi,in a bathroom for a year
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"F Murtz" wrote in message
eb.com...
wrote:
Hi folks.
While waiting for the "Part P police" to drag me off to a dungeon for
daring to do my own wiring in extension/garage I've got to the garage
now and am trying to decide on number of and placement of lights.

Just come across LED "tubes" as replacement to fluorescent tubes but was
wondering if they are particularly directional and cast more shadows
than the fluorescent tubes they replace?

Anyone tried them in a workshop situation that can advice as to their
suitability for said purpose?

The ants pants, have had two, Special in Aldi,in a bathroom for a year

How much did you pay for them ?

I've been reluctant to change from conventional fluoros
in the kitchen to LEDs even tho the LEDs would be much
more convenient mechanically, just because it costs me
peanuts to replace the tube every 20 years or so and its
unlikely that the LEDs will last anything like that long.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/02/2016 18:14, Rod Speed wrote:

"F Murtz" wrote in message
eb.com...
wrote:
[...]

Since I fitted electronic starters, our kitchen fluorescent tubes
have started immediately. I always regretted not buying an electronic
coil when one of the coils failed. The next time one of the tubes fails
maybe I should investigate an LED replacement.

--
Michael Chare

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
On 08/02/2016 18:14, Rod Speed wrote:

"F Murtz" wrote in message
eb.com...
wrote:
[...]

Yeah, I've used those since quite soon after they showed up.

I always regretted not buying an electronic coil when one of the coils
failed.

Haven't had any of mine fail on any of the fluoros
and they have been there for more than 45 years now.

The next time one of the tubes fails maybe I should investigate an LED
replacement.

I wouldnt for that reason. One of mine is a
real bugger to change the tubes on because
of where it is and it isnt ideally located either.
A much longer LED strip would work a lot
better there but the ones with even just a
5 year warranty aren't that cheap at all tho
I'll likely get one anyway just because it
works a lot better mechanically there.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Michael Chare wrote:
Since I fitted electronic starters, our kitchen fluorescent tubes
have started immediately. I always regretted not buying an electronic
coil when one of the coils failed. The next time one of the tubes fails
maybe I should investigate an LED replacement.

I have under cupboard florries with dimming electronic ballasts. Fitted
some 20 years ago. 'Posh' tubes which are a good match to halogen. All
still original despite much use.

Only reason I'd change to LEDs would be less heat to the cupboards above.
But only if I could get as good a colour match. Which I simply can't. At
the moment.

--
*Many people quit looking for work when they find a job *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)
Wrote in message:
Hi folks.
While waiting for the "Part P police" to drag me off to a dungeon for
daring to do my own wiring in extension/garage I've got to the garage
now and am trying to decide on number of and placement of lights.

Just come across LED "tubes" as replacement to fluorescent tubes but was
wondering if they are particularly directional and cast more shadows
than the fluorescent tubes they replace?

Anyone tried them in a workshop situation that can advice as to their
suitability for said purpose?

No experience of them, but rather dubious of the benefits of them
really.

Fluorescent tubes are very efficient already. Despite claims I've
seen , led tubes aren't any better. A 5ft 58w Florry tube is
5000+ lumens, which is about as good as LEDs currently are in
terms of lumens/watt. The have a long life and are cheap. With
electronic ballasts they start reliably, even in the
cold.

If I was considering led lighting for this then I' look at led panels:

https://www.ledhut.co.uk/commercial-...d-panel-lights.
html?limit=all

No doubt cheaper ones on eBay etc.

Chris French

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris French" wrote in message
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)
Wrote in message:
[...]

But nothing like as easy to mount mechanically.

If I was considering led lighting for this then I' look at led panels:

https://www.ledhut.co.uk/commercial-...html?limit=all

Outrageous prices tho, even for just the mounting brackets.

No doubt cheaper ones on eBay etc.

But aren't likely to last anything like as long.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Wrote in message:
[...]

?? Pete was talking about led tubes instead of fluorescent tubes
in Florry fittings, what has mechanical mounting got to do with
it?

If I was considering led lighting for this then I' look at led panels:

https://www.ledhut.co.uk/commercial-...html?limit=all

Outrageous prices tho, even for jsuit his use.the mounting brackets.

No doubt cheaper ones on eBay etc.

But aren't likely to last anything like as long.

I was just pointing Pete at an alternative type of lighting that
might suit his use. I've never bought them so wasn't recommending
any particular supplier.

Chris French

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Wrote in message:
[...]

That was a comment on your later comment about LED panels.

If I was considering led lighting for this then I' look at led panels:

https://www.ledhut.co.uk/commercial-...html?limit=all

Outrageous prices tho, even for jsuit his use.the mounting brackets.

No doubt cheaper ones on eBay etc.

But aren't likely to last anything like as long.

I was just pointing Pete at an alternative type of lighting that
might suit his use. I've never bought them so wasn't recommending
any particular supplier.

I wasn't suggesting you were. Mine was a general comment about
them as an alternative to fluoros. Outrageous prices and much more
expensive if it fails.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/02/2016 17:56, Chris French wrote:

I was just pointing Pete at an alternative type of lighting that
might suit his use. I've never bought them so wasn't recommending
any particular supplier.

Thanks Chris.
Hadn't seen them before.

I'm (was) veering down the Fl. tube route 2 seconds ago. Went onto
Screwfix to get the part number and saw these:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-electr...80lm-4ft/2779g

Just going to pick up a couple or 3 on the way home now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 09 Feb 2016 19:36:13 +0000, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:

On 09/02/2016 17:56, Chris French wrote:

I was just pointing Pete at an alternative type of lighting that
might suit his use. I've never bought them so wasn't recommending any
particular supplier.

Thanks Chris.
Hadn't seen them before.

I'm (was) veering down the Fl. tube route 2 seconds ago. Went onto
Screwfix to get the part number and saw these:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-electronic-ignition-led-

batten-41w-4180lm-4ft/2779g

Just going to pick up a couple or 3 on the way home now.

I presume (at those very high prices) the smiley removes any doubts that
you were making a joke. :-)

--
Johnny B Good