Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fluorescent light mystery!

Six foot double batten unit.
One tube not working for about four months.
Swapped the two starters over.
Same tube still not working.
Replaced that tube.
Replacement (in the same position) not working.
Gave up for a while.

Two weeks later - both tubes lit!
Still OK after a couple of days.
Why?
What could possibly cause the thing to start working again?
I don't know enough to even speculate.
Can anyone suggest what might have happened?
--
Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 31 Jan 2016 18:13:08 +0000, Chris ] wrote:

Six foot double batten unit.
One tube not working for about four months.
Swapped the two starters over.
Same tube still not working.
Replaced that tube.
Replacement (in the same position) not working.
Gave up for a while.

Two weeks later - both tubes lit!
Still OK after a couple of days.
Why?
What could possibly cause the thing to start working again?
I don't know enough to even speculate.
Can anyone suggest what might have happened?

Are both tubes near an earthed piece of metal? I've found that
maginal tube starting can be improved by the close proximity of an
earthed metal object to the tube, and older fittings sometimes had a
piece of springy metal apparently for that purpose.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 1 February 2016 09:13:05 UTC, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 31 Jan 2016 11:23:24 -0800 (PST), tabbypurr wrote:

Six foot double batten unit.
One tube not working for about four months.
Swapped the two starters over.
Same tube still not working.
Replaced that tube.
Replacement (in the same position) not working.
Gave up for a while.

Two weeks later - both tubes lit!
Still OK after a couple of days.
Why?

bad connection.

Possibly but all the normal ones have been made/remade which normally
cures such things. Could be an internal connection of course. If it

exactly

wasn't for the extended period of no workee I'd say temperature. Our
garage florry is very reluctant in the winter.

Yes, I totally forget the temp range T8 is happy with, but it's worse than T12, and IIRC not suited to outdoor winter use on a traditional ballast.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sounds like dodgy connections to me. I' eve had a verisimilar thing on an
old Thorne fitting. It seems to buzz louder than it used to now though, but
no arcing or anything and no sign, funny smells of failing components.

Brian

"Chris" ] wrote in message
]...
Six foot double batten unit.
One tube not working for about four months.
Swapped the two starters over.
Same tube still not working.
Replaced that tube.
Replacement (in the same position) not working.
Gave up for a while.

Two weeks later - both tubes lit!
Still OK after a couple of days.
Why?
What could possibly cause the thing to start working again?
I don't know enough to even speculate.
Can anyone suggest what might have happened?
--
Chris

--
----- -