Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Not entirely DIY question...

....but you lot seem to have a bunch of experience of the old and gently
decrepit.

My old man's getting old. Late '70s, early stages of dementia. He lives
on his own, and gets a lot of scam calls - so tends to not answer the
phone.

His current phone hasn't got any kind of caller ID or display on it. A
cordless phone would disappear into the morass of old newspapers and junk
mail in about ten seconds flat, along with the scraps of paper he insists
on writing phone numbers on.

So... what's needed is a corded landline phone with nice big buttons and
a nice big display to show the name of who's calling from the address
book.

Any recommendations?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/01/2016 11:07, Adrian wrote:
...but you lot seem to have a bunch of experience of the old and gently
decrepit.

My old man's getting old. Late '70s, early stages of dementia. He lives
on his own, and gets a lot of scam calls - so tends to not answer the
phone.

His current phone hasn't got any kind of caller ID or display on it. A
cordless phone would disappear into the morass of old newspapers and junk
mail in about ten seconds flat, along with the scraps of paper he insists
on writing phone numbers on.

So... what's needed is a corded landline phone with nice big buttons and
a nice big display to show the name of who's calling from the address
book.

Any recommendations?

I don't know of anyone who offers a telephone linked to a reverse number
lookup from a telephone book. There may be legal restrictions.

I believe some of the VOIP companies do offer something akin to spam
filter for phones.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 30 Jan 2016 11:25:47 +0000, Nick wrote:

So... what's needed is a corded landline phone with nice big buttons
and a nice big display to show the name of who's calling from the
address book.

Any recommendations?

I don't know of anyone who offers a telephone linked to a reverse number
lookup from a telephone book. There may be legal restrictions.

Y'know, like any mobile has...

01234 567890 is in the address book with my name, so it comes up with my
name on the screen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 30 Jan 2016 11:28:34 +0000 (UTC), Adrian
wrote:

On Sat, 30 Jan 2016 11:25:47 +0000, Nick wrote:

So... what's needed is a corded landline phone with nice big buttons
and a nice big display to show the name of who's calling from the
address book.

Any recommendations?

I don't know of anyone who offers a telephone linked to a reverse number
lookup from a telephone book. There may be legal restrictions.

Y'know, like any mobile has...

01234 567890 is in the address book with my name, so it comes up with my
name on the screen.

I think Nick was getting confused between 'the' address book and
'your' (Dads) address book. ;-)

I know you didn't mention your Dads hearing but ignoring that, this
seems to be well liked by many:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Amplicom-Pow.../dp/B004SGE8NM

http://www.actiononhearingloss.org.u...060%20Plus.pdf

It looks like the CLI does hook up with the address book (if you
include the area code in the address book).

p24 "Phone book. Thirty-two phone numbers can be stored in the phone
book together with the associated names.
• Always enter the area access code with the phone numbers so that
the telephone can also assign incoming local calls to a phone book
entry"

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Sat, 30 Jan 2016 11:25:47 +0000, Nick wrote:

So... what's needed is a corded landline phone with nice big buttons
and a nice big display to show the name of who's calling from the
address book.

Any recommendations?

I don't know of anyone who offers a telephone linked to a reverse number
lookup from a telephone book. There may be legal restrictions.

Y'know, like any mobile has...

01234 567890 is in the address book with my name, so it comes up with my
name on the screen.

I think Nick was getting confused between 'the' address book and
'your' (Dads) address book. ;-)

Indeed, it is one of my little bugbears. I would like a phone that
showed a proper name for all numbers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Sat, 30 Jan 2016 11:25:47 +0000, Nick wrote:

So... what's needed is a corded landline phone with nice big buttons
and a nice big display to show the name of who's calling from the
address book.

Any recommendations?

I don't know of anyone who offers a telephone linked to a reverse number
lookup from a telephone book. There may be legal restrictions.

Y'know, like any mobile has...

01234 567890 is in the address book with my name, so it comes up with my
name on the screen.

I think Nick was getting confused between 'the' address book and
'your' (Dads) address book. ;-)

Indeed, it is one of my little bugbears. I would like a phone that
showed a proper name for all numbers.

Not *impossible* I'm guessing, certainly for all the names that are in
The Phone Book and where the caller doesn't withhold their number.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:

Nick wrote:

I don't know of anyone who offers a telephone linked to a reverse number
lookup from a telephone book. There may be legal restrictions.

Y'know, like any mobile has...

Google scrapes reverse number lookups from the web, so even the names of
companies you haven't entered into your phonebook are displayed. This
only seems to apply to Nexus devices and you have to opt-in, but I don't
suppose the O/P wants a smartphone for his Dad.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Google scrapes reverse number lookups from the web, so even the names of
companies you haven't entered into your phonebook are displayed. This
only seems to apply to Nexus devices and you have to opt-in, but I don't
suppose the O/P wants a smartphone for his Dad.

It's possible something could be arranged with a tablet and a USB handset -
that might make a nice 'big screen phone', with either touchscreen buttons or
buttons on the handset.

What does Google scrape in the case of 'cold call scammer', since I imagine
that sort of number is only listed in the 'Who called me?' forums or
whatever?

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Theo wrote:

What does Google scrape in the case of 'cold call scammer', since I imagine
that sort of number is only listed in the 'Who called me?' forums or
whatever?

Usually nothing, the feature is called "Caller ID by Google" I don't
know if it's still restricted to Nexus devices, but it used to be.

Looking at the help page it seems it looks at Google Places listings and
address lists linked to accounts on your device (e.g. it could lookup
colleagues' direct numbers) rather than the web at large.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Theo" wrote in message
Andy Burns wrote:
Google scrapes reverse number lookups from the web, so even the names of
companies you haven't entered into your phonebook are displayed. This
only seems to apply to Nexus devices and you have to opt-in, but I don't
suppose the O/P wants a smartphone for his Dad.

It's possible something could be arranged with a tablet and a USB
handset -
that might make a nice 'big screen phone', with either touchscreen buttons
or
buttons on the handset.

Not clear how long the tablet battery will last with it being charged full
time.

Or how many can handle a USB phone either.

Some phablets will work in that config but again,
not clear how long the battery will last and not all
that many with user replaceable batteries now.

And not many with very solid USB charger cables either.
Some with inductive charging, but in that case the
phablet may well get lost pretty easily unless its in
some form of protective case with a security cable.

What does Google scrape in the case of 'cold call scammer', since I
imagine
that sort of number is only listed in the 'Who called me?' forums or
whatever?

I assumed he meant it shows you the name of the valid calling companies
and you just ignore the calls from operations that Google can't put a name
to or even just have those auto blocked although that may be a bit risky if
it happens to be the doctor who has just moved his surgery etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 30 Jan 2016 11:44:25 +0000, Tim Streater wrote:

In article , Adrian
wrote:

On Sat, 30 Jan 2016 11:25:47 +0000, Nick wrote:

So... what's needed is a corded landline phone with nice big buttons
and a nice big display to show the name of who's calling from the
address book.

Any recommendations?

I don't know of anyone who offers a telephone linked to a reverse
number lookup from a telephone book. There may be legal restrictions.

Y'know, like any mobile has...

01234 567890 is in the address book with my name, so it comes up with my
name on the screen.

And indeed like any of the cordless setups with base station have
(although I can see why one of those wouldn't do you). What about:

Amplicom PowerTel 30 Plus Big Button Desk Phone Binatone Speakeasy 7 Big
Button Corded Phone

I've been impressed with the Doro ones. We don't have them any more
because we have a load of IP phones.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/01/2016 11:07, Adrian wrote:
...but you lot seem to have a bunch of experience of the old and gently
decrepit.

My old man's getting old. Late '70s, early stages of dementia. He lives
on his own, and gets a lot of scam calls - so tends to not answer the
phone.

His current phone hasn't got any kind of caller ID or display on it. A
cordless phone would disappear into the morass of old newspapers and junk
mail in about ten seconds flat, along with the scraps of paper he insists
on writing phone numbers on.

So... what's needed is a corded landline phone with nice big buttons and
a nice big display to show the name of who's calling from the address
book.

Any recommendations?

One of my partner's friends has a service that requires callers to
identify themselves by name and press the hash key before the call is
passed on. I think it is provided by BT, but I've not seen what the
equipment at her end is like.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 30 January 2016 11:50:06 UTC, wrote:
One of my partner's friends has a service that requires callers to
identify themselves by name and press the hash key before the call is
passed on. I think it is provided by BT, but I've not seen what the
equipment at her end is like.

It's Truecall technology, licenced by BT and used in some of their cordless phones eg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BT8500-Advan.../dp/B00LZTHUEO

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sign him up to the telephone preference service TPS, this stops a lot of nuisance calls. Once activated it takes a few weeks during which you noticeably get fewer calls eventually they stop. The only persistent ones we get are the "no win, no fee" legal firms because someone has put out details of an accident we had 2 years ago.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 30 Jan 2016 04:07:52 -0800, Tricky Dicky wrote:

Sign him up to the telephone preference service TPS

Done years ago.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Call blockers are being discussed on BBC Radio 4 "Moneybox" at this very
moment. Should be On iPlayer soon.

--
Reentrant
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tricky Dicky writes
Sign him up to the telephone preference service TPS, this stops a lot
of nuisance calls. Once activated it takes a few weeks during which you
noticeably get fewer calls eventually they stop. The only persistent
ones we get are the "no win, no fee" legal firms because someone has
put out details of an accident we had 2 years ago.

Richard

Bit of a waste of time IME. International sources are not controlled and
many UK companies now ignore it. "Marketing surveys" are not included.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/01/2016 12:47, bert wrote:
In article ,
Tricky Dicky writes
Sign him up to the telephone preference service TPS, this stops a lot
of nuisance calls. Once activated it takes a few weeks during which
you noticeably get fewer calls eventually they stop. The only
persistent ones we get are the "no win, no fee" legal firms because
someone has put out details of an accident we had 2 years ago.

Richard

Bit of a waste of time IME. International sources are not controlled and
many UK companies now ignore it. "Marketing surveys" are not included.

+1
All my unwanted calls are flagged with International or Number Withheld,
or if a number is given it's more likely to be a premium rate number.

The more annoying cold calls result in an automated message being left
on the answerphone.

The latest scam calls inform recipients that it will be illegal to have
a non-condensing boiler after September 2016 and to press '5' to contact
a representative to order/fit a new boiler. Number withheld and no
phone number given if the answerphone picks up the automated message!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/01/2016 12:07, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Sign him up to the telephone preference service TPS, this stops a lot of nuisance calls. Once activated it takes a few weeks during which you noticeably get fewer calls eventually they stop. The only persistent ones we get are the "no win, no fee" legal firms because someone has put out details of an accident we had 2 years ago.

Richard

In the immortal words of Mr McInroe, "You can't be serious"!

The TPS is a complete waste of time. Most cold callers completely ignore
it, and few suffer any serious sanctions for so doing. I've been
registered for years - but *still* received loads of junk calls until I
installed a trueCall call blocker. Now, I get virtually none.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Roger Mills
writes
The TPS is a complete waste of time. Most cold callers completely
ignore it, and few suffer any serious sanctions for so doing. I've been
registered for years - but *still* received loads of junk calls until I
installed a trueCall call blocker. Now, I get virtually none.

Conversely, I've been registered with TPS for donkey's years and I
rarely get any cold calls.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
replace "diy" with "news" and reverse the domain

If you are reading this from a web interface eg DIY Banter,
DIY Forum or Google Groups, please be aware this is NOT a forum, and
you are merely using a web portal to a USENET group. Many people block
posters coming from web portals due to perceieved SPAM or inaneness.
For a better method of access, please see:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/01/2016 21:43, Roger Mills wrote:
On 30/01/2016 12:07, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Sign him up to the telephone preference service TPS, this stops a lot
of nuisance calls. Once activated it takes a few weeks during which
you noticeably get fewer calls eventually they stop. The only
persistent ones we get are the "no win, no fee" legal firms because
someone has put out details of an accident we had 2 years ago.

Richard

In the immortal words of Mr McInroe, "You can't be serious"!

The TPS is a complete waste of time. Most cold callers completely ignore
it, and few suffer any serious sanctions for so doing. I've been
registered for years - but *still* received loads of junk calls until I
installed a trueCall call blocker. Now, I get virtually none.

Despite having been members of TPS long enough to feel that "founder
member" would have been a good description, the frequency of calls
simply grew. Got to an average of about five a day.

Decided that we no longer had the need for a land line at all - so gave
it up. No more nuisance calls. With Wifi calling from mobiles,
everything is now happy!

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
One of my partner's friends has a service that requires callers to
identify themselves by name and press the hash key before the call
is passed on. I think it is provided by BT, but I've not seen what
the equipment at her end is like.

It's Truecall technology, licenced by BT and used in some of their
cordless phones eg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BT8500-Advan...-Handset/dp/B0
0LZTHUEO

Owain

I have those and they are excellent.
They were in Tesco's sale a week or so ago starting at £25 for one
handset. The spammers just don't bother trying to get through.

Isn't it frustrating for genuine callers to have to leave a message and
then wait to be screened?

That's only for the first time, then you add them to the contacts or
allowed list and they then get straight through unless you decide otherwise.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/01/2016 14:01, pamela wrote:

Isn't it frustrating for genuine callers to have to leave a message and
then wait to be screened?

I think they operate in reverse of what has been stated. People on the
white list get straight through. Those not in the white list get told
to press hash and leave their name. The phone then rings with the
callers name and the recipient has the option to take it or block the
number. Automatic cold calling dialling doesn't have the intelligence
to perform the addition instructions -- YET!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/01/2016 14:01, pamela wrote:
On 12:41 30 Jan 2016, dennis@home wrote:

I have those and they are excellent.
They were in Tesco's sale a week or so ago starting at £25 for one
handset. The spammers just don't bother trying to get through.

Isn't it frustrating for genuine callers to have to leave a message and
then wait to be screened?

If it works in the same way as my stand-alone trueCall unit, they only
have to do it once. You can then add their number to the 'star' list,
and they will get through straight away in future. [More difficult if
they routinely withhold their number, though].
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/01/2016 11:55, wrote:
On Saturday, 30 January 2016 11:50:06 UTC, wrote:
One of my partner's friends has a service that requires callers to
identify themselves by name and press the hash key before the call is
passed on. I think it is provided by BT, but I've not seen what the
equipment at her end is like.

It's Truecall technology, licenced by BT and used in some of their cordless phones eg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BT8500-Advan.../dp/B00LZTHUEO

Owain

Yes, indeed - and one of those may have been the cheapest solution
*except* that the OP said that a cordless phone wouldn't do, because the
handset could get mislaid too easily.

That being the case, a stand-alone trueCall unit used in conjunction
with a big button phone with a decent display would be the best bet, as
suggested in Owain's previous post.

The trueCall unit can hold many more names and numbers than most phones,
and will cause the caller's name to be displayed on the phone if a call
arrives from someone whose details have been stored in it. It also has
lots of options for dealing with various types of call - withheld,
unobtainable, international, etc. - and, with a bit of thought, could be
set up in a way which would protect the OP's father from unwanted calls
whilst allowing the calls he wants to receive to get through ok.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Saturday, 30 January 2016 11:50:06 UTC, wrote:
One of my partner's friends has a service that requires callers to
identify themselves by name and press the hash key before the call is
passed on. I think it is provided by BT, but I've not seen what the
equipment at her end is like.

It's Truecall technology, licenced by BT and used in some of their cordless phones eg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BT8500-Advan.../dp/B00LZTHUEO

Owain

I've got a Truecall but ordered one of the above anyway. Arrived today and
first impressions are very good. Big improvement in user friendliness over
the old unit.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/01/2016 15:36, Tim+ wrote:
wrote:
On Saturday, 30 January 2016 11:50:06 UTC, wrote:
One of my partner's friends has a service that requires callers to
identify themselves by name and press the hash key before the call is
passed on. I think it is provided by BT, but I've not seen what the
equipment at her end is like.

It's Truecall technology, licenced by BT and used in some of their cordless phones eg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BT8500-Advan.../dp/B00LZTHUEO

Owain

I've got a Truecall but ordered one of the above anyway. Arrived today and
first impressions are very good. Big improvement in user friendliness over
the old unit.

Tim

As a matter of interest how does truecall handle an _automated_ message
that you may want but have no prior knowledge of the caller number being
used or the number changing between calls?

I'm thinking of fraud prevention calls from credit card companies. I've
recently had an call from Amex (corporate card) where they suspected
fraudulent use. An automated message was left on my answer phone and on
contacting the card supplier the usage was identified as fraudulent.
It's not a type of message that I would want to block, or miss.

In the past few years I've had a few similar automated messages
resulting in stopping fraudulent use of cards - or in one case stopping
the cancellation of the card because the usage was genuine. (Don't tick
the charity giving box when buying on Ebay as this results in two
transactions at the same time with two different recipients which can
trigger anti fraud measures at the card company).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/01/2016 21:51, alan_m wrote:

As a matter of interest how does truecall handle an _automated_ message
that you may want but have no prior knowledge of the caller number being
used or the number changing between calls?

It depends how you've set it up. One option for unrecognised numbers is
to ask the caller to press a particular key - 5 (say). In that case,
your automated call would get blocked because the calling device
wouldn't be able to comply with the instruction, whilst a human being would.

But another option is simply to ask the caller to say their name. They
won't, of course, but trueCall will hear them say something and will
ring your phone and tell you that you have a call from {whatever it was
they said}. If you don't answer, they will be asked to leave a message.
Their automated message will carry on regardless through all that, of
course, and a lot will get lost but with a bit of luck *something* will
get recorded which gives you a clue as to what it's all about.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Our Truecall is set up to reject withheld and international calls, and
that catches 99% of nuisance ones. (You can see them listed on the
website control panel).
Friends/family calling from abroad know the breakthrough code.
For all UK calls it just acts as a normal answerphone if we're not in.

I suppose we might lose a few calls from UK PBX's that don't present
caller-id but we know the important ones (eg doctor, council offices,
workplaces etc) get through OK.

--
Reentrant
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , "Nightjar
cpb" "insert my surname writes
[...]

It's like a phone - unfortunately not corded

http://www.shop.bt.com/products/bt65...r---twin-06626
7-8H3H.html
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/01/2016 11:49, Nightjar cpb wrote:

One of my partner's friends has a service that requires callers to
identify themselves by name and press the hash key before the call is
passed on. I think it is provided by BT, but I've not seen what the
equipment at her end is like.

Its inbuilt into one of the phones that BT sell

http://www.shop.bt.com/products/bt85...8626-9M2M.html

But is it suitable for the OPs father? White lists can be set-up but for
ongoing call blocking this requires the user to to take action.

Also for someone suffering from dementia is caller ID alone practical?
Can they remember other peoples numbers/names? Ideally what's required
is the equivalent of a green light for recognised numbers and red
otherwise. I have a very old (no longer available) caller display that
does this.

Also make sure that the local doctor's surgery is included in a white list.

As for cold calling, my total this week is 29 with number withheld or
'International' despite being registered of the telephone preference
service. My normal cold calling rate is around 2 per week but I guess
the increase is because my car/house insurance policies are due for
renewal and UK companies are using 3rd party companies to bypass any
industry agreements about cold calling.

Perhaps an answer machine with call screening is required. I can hear
the outgoing message and what is being recorded. I can curtail the
recording by picking up the call. I let my answer machine pick up all
calls. Most cold callers hang up on getting the answer machine and I
pick up when I hear a call I want to answer. Warning

Not all answer machines offer this feature.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m used his keyboard to write :
As for cold calling, my total this week is 29 with number withheld or
'International' despite being registered of the telephone preference service.
My normal cold calling rate is around 2 per week but I guess the increase is
because my car/house insurance policies are due for renewal and UK companies
are using 3rd party companies to bypass any industry agreements about cold
calling.

That sort of frequency was normal for us, until we enabled TalkTalk's
filters. Exceptionally, we had a peak of two in the past seven days get
through. Any callers withholding their number receive a recorded
message which says we do not accept calls from withheld callers - end
of. The two who did manage to get through, are now on my 'blocked
list', they will not get through again.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/01/2016 15:42, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Any callers withholding their number receive a recorded message
which says we do not accept calls from withheld callers - end of. The
two who did manage to get through, are now on my 'blocked list', they
will not get through again.

The problem I see with blocking all withheld numbers is that the system
of presenting the number doesn't always work. I have friends who use
VOIP and around 25% of the time the number isn't presented on BTs caller
display facility, I suspect that caller information may be lost
depending on the route of the IP call.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/01/2016 20:14, alan_m wrote:
On 30/01/2016 15:42, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Any callers withholding their number receive a recorded message
which says we do not accept calls from withheld callers - end of. The
two who did manage to get through, are now on my 'blocked list', they
will not get through again.

The problem I see with blocking all withheld numbers is that the system
of presenting the number doesn't always work. I have friends who use
VOIP and around 25% of the time the number isn't presented on BTs caller
display facility, I suspect that caller information may be lost
depending on the route of the IP call.

There are other options. My trueCall is set up to ask the caller who
they are in the case of a withheld or unrecognised number. Most cold
callers give up at this point, and my phone doesn't ring. But if the
caller does say something, the phone rings and when I answser it
trueCall says "You have a call from {whatever they said}" and I then
have 3 options - accept the call, zap the call, or ask the caller to
leave a message.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"alan_m" wrote in message
On 30/01/2016 15:42, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Any callers withholding their number receive a recorded message
which says we do not accept calls from withheld callers - end of. The
two who did manage to get through, are now on my 'blocked list', they
will not get through again.

The problem I see with blocking all withheld numbers is that the system of
presenting the number doesn't always work. I have friends who use VOIP
and around 25% of the time the number isn't presented on BTs caller
display facility, I suspect that caller information may be lost depending
on the route of the IP call.

Yeah, its quite variable with calls made using Skype out.

My voip always presents it, but Skype often doesn't.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar cpb wrote:
[...]

In the US there is an automated service which intercepts the
call, determines if it is not a scam call and then passes the call on. I
don't know who provides the service, but having listened to it in
operation, it was very impressive how many calls disappeared after the
first ring of the phone and the user did not get one scam call in six
weeks. Maybe ther is a UK supplier?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/01/2016 14:06, Capitol wrote:
Nightjar cpb wrote:
[...]

That's the effect of tru call/BT guardian.
You just don't get scam calls getting through.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 30 January 2016 11:08:13 UTC, Adrian wrote:
My old man's getting old. Late '70s, early stages of dementia. He lives
on his own, and gets a lot of scam calls - so tends to not answer the
phone.

TrueCall, and plug his existing phone into it. Set it up so he gets calls only from known friends, and anyone else gets given a contact number (eg you).

You can also check calls he's received on the web portal.

http://shop.alzheimers.org.uk/product/truecall-care/

A phone with memory buttons may be useful, eg this one has 8 one-touch memories

http://shop.alzheimers.org.uk/product/big-button-phone/

This one has 3 memories and a large call display screen

http://www.connevans.co.uk/product/9...tton-telephone

Owain