Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Glass shelves

Need some toughened glass shelves made to order. Happy to collect in the
London area. Any recommendations as to the best value supplier?

Using an online calculator from one place suggests a price of approx £400.

--
*Hard work has a future payoff. Laziness pays off NOW.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 29 Jan 2016 11:20:15 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

Need some toughened glass shelves made to order. Happy to collect in the
London area. Any recommendations as to the best value supplier?

Using an online calculator from one place suggests a price of approx £400.

Can't help with London area but a while ago I got some 35in x 10in x
5mm toughened glass to use as shelves from a local glazier for about
£50. Kowing what I know now I'd see if I could get them a little
thicker if I was doing it again as they do sag slight under the weight
of CDs.
I'd suggest looking for a local back-street glass merchant. The firm I
used had a website but had to be emailed for a quote.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Need some toughened glass shelves made to order.

I had some toughened, smokey shelves with radiused corners and milled
edges from Prad Glass, happy with them, sizes were spot on.

http://www.pradglass.com/order-shelves.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 29 January 2016 11:20:25 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Need some toughened glass shelves made to order. Happy to collect in the
London area. Any recommendations as to the best value supplier?

I didn't shop around as I needed somewhere local I could carry my shelves back from. They cut a mirror to order and drilled some 6 or 8mm holes in it for me.

http://www.allinlondon.co.uk/directory/1116/61924.php

Email and phone .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
Need some toughened glass shelves made to order. Happy to collect in the
London area. Any recommendations as to the best value supplier?

Using an online calculator from one place suggests a price of approx £400.

A little while ago I had 3 glass shelves made. About 1400x150x10. Polished
all round. Had to be precise fit. Cost £75.
More recently I had a glass table top made to template. About 1015x915x8.
This was a b*gger. Not a straight edge or a square corner. They made a
fantastic job of it. Cost £110.
Supplier was Windsor Glass Co., not too very far from W. London.
http://www.windsorglass.com/

HTH
Nick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

Need some toughened glass shelves made to order. Happy to collect in the
London area. Any recommendations as to the best value supplier?

Using an online calculator from one place suggests a price of approx £400.

http://www.preedyglass.com/
J. Preedy & Sons Ltd (Stanley Works),
7b Coronation Road,
Park Royal,
London
NW10 7PQ

Tel: +44 (0)20 8965 1323

--
djc

(–€Ì¿Ä¹Ì¯–€Ì¿ Ì¿)
No low-hanging fruit, just a lot of small berries up a tall tree.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for the tips - looks like I'll have to phone round for the best
price.

I'd like to have spacers between the two glass shelves. To stop things
like books falling over. Something like a SS rod every 200mm or so works
well enough. Easily done with wood - but how about glass? The idea used
for the legs on a table etc would be fine - but can you get the same idea
in say 12mm?

--
*Why doesn't Tarzan have a beard? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

Thanks for the tips - looks like I'll have to phone round for the best
price.

I'd like to have spacers between the two glass shelves. To stop things
like books falling over. Something like a SS rod every 200mm or so works
well enough. Easily done with wood - but how about glass? The idea used
for the legs on a table etc would be fine - but can you get the same idea
in say 12mm?

http://www.preedyglass.com/fittings.html
http://www.preedyglass.com/shelves.html

in particular
http://www.preedyglass.com/pdfs/shelves/steelmax.pdf

--
djc

(–€Ì¿Ä¹Ì¯–€Ì¿ Ì¿)
No low-hanging fruit, just a lot of small berries up a tall tree.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
DJC wrote:
Thanks for the tips - looks like I'll have to phone round for the best
price.

I'd like to have spacers between the two glass shelves. To stop things
like books falling over. Something like a SS rod every 200mm or so
works well enough. Easily done with wood - but how about glass? The
idea used for the legs on a table etc would be fine - but can you get
the same idea in say 12mm?

http://www.preedyglass.com/fittings.html
http://www.preedyglass.com/shelves.html

in particular
http://www.preedyglass.com/pdfs/shelves/steelmax.pdf

Nothing there even remotely like I'm after.

What I'm thinking of would involve drilling holes in the two shelves and
having a vertical rod in say SS between them. If you've seen the way they
make glass TV tables etc, the same idea as the legs only say about 12mm in
diameter

--
*Money isn‘t everything, but it sure keeps the kids in touch

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
I'd like to have spacers between the two glass shelves. To stop
things like books falling over. Something like a SS rod every 200mm
or so works well enough. Easily done with wood - but how about
glass? The idea used for the legs on a table etc would be fine - but
can you get the same idea in say 12mm?

http://www.preedyglass.com/fittings.html
http://www.preedyglass.com/shelves.html

in particular http://www.preedyglass.com/pdfs/shelves/steelmax.pdf

Nothing there even remotely like I'm after.

What I'm thinking of would involve drilling holes in the two shelves and
having a vertical rod in say SS between them. If you've seen the way
they make glass TV tables etc, the same idea as the legs only say about
12mm in diameter

Alternative might be to use glass as partitions on the shelves. Perhaps
'floating' between them - ie with a gap top and bottom. But how to fix
them to the wall behind? Plenty of shelf fixings on offer - but would they
hold a vertical piece? And they seem to be made to look good from the top,
so not so good side on.

--
*A clear conscience is the sign of a fuzzy memory.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
[...]

You should be able to get them to drill the holes in the shelves like they
do in the verticals you don’t like and put your own metal vertical rods in
those holes to keep the books from falling over. All you really need is
some form of screw on head to the rod and drop it into the hole thru
the top shelf, guide the rod into the hole in the lower shelf and have
the head stop it falling right thru the top shelf. That should look perfect.

So the vertical rods are just very long bolts with just little thread on the
top to screw the head onto.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

On Saturday, January 30, 2016 at 8:01:06 PM UTC, DJC wrote:
Thanks for the tips - looks like I'll have to phone round for the best
price.

I'd like to have spacers between the two glass shelves. To stop things
like books falling over. Something like a SS rod every 200mm or so works
well enough. Easily done with wood - but how about glass? The idea used
for the legs on a table etc would be fine - but can you get the same idea
in say 12mm?

http://www.preedyglass.com/fittings.html
http://www.preedyglass.com/shelves.html

in particular
http://www.preedyglass.com/pdfs/shelves/steelmax.pdf

Ugh:

"Sooner or later, the time will come, when you need
to take the less taken route"

Sheesh - where's Robert Frost when you need him!!??

Jon N

Glass Refrigerator Shelves Jack Home Repair 32 August 13th 19 04:31 PM
Margin for glass shelves... blueman Woodworking 7 January 14th 12 03:34 PM
Toughened glass shelves NoSpam UK diy 31 March 15th 09 09:55 AM
Brackets for glass shelves Davao UK diy 0 March 10th 08 09:17 PM
Glass for shelves Harlan Messinger Home Repair 11 September 17th 06 01:53 AM