Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Identify these connectors?

Hullo.

The linked image shows some red connectors. Any idea what they're called
and/or what I should replace them with. (I need to replace the appliance.)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...2012.08.57.jpg

Thanks & regards
Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Common or garden crimps but should be protected inside an electrical enclosure not just tucked inside a cupboard unit.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

WeeBob wrote:
Hullo.

The linked image shows some red connectors. Any idea what they're called
and/or what I should replace them with. (I need to replace the appliance.)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...2012.08.57.jpg

Thanks & regards
Bob

Standard insulated crimp couplers. Available very easily but you need a
decent ratchet tool to fit them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
WeeBob wrote:
Hullo.

The linked image shows some red connectors. Any idea what they're called
and/or what I should replace them with. (I need to replace the appliance.)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...2012.08.57.jpg

Thanks & regards
Bob

Crimp connectors - any decent wholesaler will stock them.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/01/2016 12:40, charles wrote:
In article ,
WeeBob wrote:
Hullo.

The linked image shows some red connectors. Any idea what they're called
and/or what I should replace them with. (I need to replace the appliance.)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...2012.08.57.jpg

Thanks & regards
Bob

Crimp connectors - any decent wholesaler will stock them.

Worth mentioning that the different sizes are colour coded, so you need
red ones.

Cheers
--
Syd
Posted to uk.d-i-y

WeeBob wrote:
Hullo.

The linked image shows some red connectors. Any idea what they're called
and/or what I should replace them with. (I need to replace the
appliance.)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...2012.08.57.jpg

Thanks & regards
Bob

Crimp connectors - any decent wholesaler will stock them.

Worth mentioning that the different sizes are colour coded, so you need
red ones.

Cheers

You do need a crimper. Pliers don't work.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/01/2016 12:13, WeeBob wrote:
Hullo.

The linked image shows some red connectors. Any idea what they're called
and/or what I should replace them with. (I need to replace the appliance.)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...2012.08.57.jpg

Thanks & regards
Bob

See he

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Cable_crimping

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/01/2016 08:00, WeeBob wrote:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Cable_crimping

That's a great link, thanks.

Indeed. Can't claim any credit for the content, other than knowing you
should see it!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 28 January 2016 13:14:02 UTC+1, WeeBob wrote:
Hullo.

The linked image shows some red connectors. Any idea what they're called
and/or what I should replace them with. (I need to replace the appliance.)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...2012.08.57.jpg

As others have said, they are crimp connectors. You can replace them with:
- more crimp connectors (if you have or buy the right tool)
- choc-block connectors (if you can get at the connectors to tighten them
up if necessary).
- wago connectors (more expensive than crimp for each connector, but if
you only want to make three joints, probably a good choice).
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

On 28/01/2016 12:13, WeeBob wrote:
Hullo.

The linked image shows some red connectors. Any idea what they're called
and/or what I should replace them with. (I need to replace the appliance.)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...2012.08.57.jpg

Thanks & regards
Bob

In addition to the other comments, I was going to say that it might be
an idea to consider using a Wago connector, as an alternative to buying
a decent crimp tool.
Unless you want to, because you know, can never have enough tools
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 28 January 2016 15:19:02 UTC+1, Lee wrote:
On 28/01/2016 12:13, WeeBob wrote:
Hullo.

The linked image shows some red connectors. Any idea what they're called
and/or what I should replace them with. (I need to replace the appliance.)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...2012.08.57.jpg

Thanks & regards
Bob

In addition to the other comments, I was going to say that it might be
an idea to consider using a Wago connector, as an alternative to buying
a decent crimp tool.
Unless you want to, because you know, can never have enough tools

"Enough" "tools"? My brain is exploding trying to connect those two
words.

"Enough tools"? No. Just cannot get them to parse.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo ,
Martin Bonner escribió:

"Enough" "tools"? My brain is exploding trying to connect those two
words.

"Enough tools"? No. Just cannot get them to parse.

I'm looking at the tool used to crimp 50 ohm BNC connectors for thin
Ethernet that cost a fortune mumble years ago. Can I bring myself to
chuck it out? No.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Bunny says: Windows 10? Nein danke!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 29 Jan 2016 15:13:21 +0000, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

En el artÃ*culo ,
Martin Bonner escribió:

"Enough" "tools"? My brain is exploding trying to connect those two
words.

"Enough tools"? No. Just cannot get them to parse.

I'm looking at the tool used to crimp 50 ohm BNC connectors for thin
Ethernet that cost a fortune mumble years ago. Can I bring myself to
chuck it out? No.

Who'd have thought "Cheapernet"(tm) was going to be *such* a short lived
fad? I also made the same foolish "investment" in a BNC crimping tool.
I'm pretty certain I *didn't* throw it out but I'd have to invest more
time than ICBA to in searching it out.

The RG45 crimping tool (despite very little use over the past 15 years
or so since I purchased it) otoh, was right where I thought it was (in an
ex-BT hard toolcase gathering dust underneath the bay window ledge of my
office/workshop cum 'den'.

This was a much better investment, one that's likely to remain of some
use for the next decade at least (and possibly for as long as the next
two decades). I won't feel too 'cheated' even if RG45 were to become
*totally* obsoleted by fibre optic cabling as early as 2020.

To be fair, a more sensible investment would have been a decent krone IDC
inserter tool (which I already had) and a stock of RG45 face plates and
back boxes to suit along with a stock of 2 and 3 metre patch cables and a
drum (or box) or two of solid copper cored CAT5 cable. There aren't too
many situations where eliminating a wall mounted RG45 socket in the
interests of 'keeping things simple and tidy' can really be justified.

Our back kitchen dining room TV setup comes about as close to this
requirement where the single 15mm diameter hole in the corner of the
wall, a foot above the skirting, serves to route the TV antenna feed and
the CAT5 cable from the basement to our wall mounted TV set.

The 'tone' was set by the pre-existing 'straight through the wall'
antenna feed arrangement (neatly avoiding potential, but all too common,
signal loss at UHF issues with such "TV aerial wall sockets"). Having yet
another 'cable' popping straight out of the hole, going to the tiny media
streaming box alongside the TV set seemed a more fitting solution at the
time[1] (plus, it saved a bit of 'faffing about with mounting and
terminating a backbox and RG45 socket faceplate). I can always tidy up
the installation any time afterwards if I ever find myself with too much
time on my hands. :-)

[1] Although the current media streaming box includes WiFi, I don't think
this was an option with the first Aldiddle Medion unit I 'sampled' 4 or 5
years ago, hence the CAT5 cable dangling out of the wall. Regardless that
the current unit allows me to 'get by' without the need for a wired
connection, I still prefer wired over wireless when it comes to "Fixed
Installations" such as this.

I'm saving my WiFi from such abuse in order to let it better serve
portable battery powered kit, such as tablets and smart phones and the
like where it makes so much more sense (and the shortcomings of wireless
are more readily accepted).

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Huge
escribió:

Become a radio amateur and then you'd have a use for it.

Lost all interest in it when I saw the state of uk.ra and met some of
the amateurs at the rallies. A passing acquaintance with hot water and
soap, say once a year, about describes their personal hygiene.

Bin I think.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Bunny says: Windows 10? Nein danke!
(")_(")
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/01/2016 15:05, Martin Bonner wrote:
On Thursday, 28 January 2016 15:19:02 UTC+1, Lee wrote:
On 28/01/2016 12:13, WeeBob wrote:
Hullo.

The linked image shows some red connectors. Any idea what they're called
and/or what I should replace them with. (I need to replace the appliance.)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...2012.08.57.jpg

Thanks & regards
Bob

In addition to the other comments, I was going to say that it might be
an idea to consider using a Wago connector, as an alternative to buying
a decent crimp tool.
Unless you want to, because you know, can never have enough tools

"Enough" "tools"? My brain is exploding trying to connect those two
words.

"Enough tools"? No. Just cannot get them to parse.

Try adding "Not got " in front of it.... better?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , WeeBob
escribió:

The linked image shows some red connectors. Any idea what they're called

Butt splices.

http://www.wiringproducts.com/butt-splices-connectors

Do borrow/hire/buy/steal a decent crimping tool, though. Whoever did
the splices in your pic had one.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Bunny says: Windows 10? Nein danke!
(")_(")
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/01/16 17:47, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artÃ*culo , WeeBob
escribió:

The linked image shows some red connectors. Any idea what they're called

Butt splices.

That sounds a bit rude...

and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally
important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for
the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the
truth is the greatest enemy of the State.

Joseph Goebbels

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , The Natural Philosopher
escribió:

That sounds a bit rude...

Dirty mind. Down, Fido!

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Bunny says: Windows 10? Nein danke!
(")_(")
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/01/2016 12:13, WeeBob wrote:
Hullo.

The linked image shows some red connectors. Any idea what they're called
and/or what I should replace them with. (I need to replace the appliance.)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...2012.08.57.jpg

They are butt crimps.

(They are not reusable, so cut them off and recrimp)

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...uitable_crimps

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/01/2016 12:13, WeeBob wrote:
Hullo.

The linked image shows some red connectors. Any idea what they're called
and/or what I should replace them with. (I need to replace the appliance.)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...2012.08.57.jpg

Thanks & regards
Bob

Thanks for all the tips.

I had thought that crimping was only for Cat5 etc, and I'd never seen it
used for power.

Usually I'd have used a choc block, but the appliance has very limited
space. I think a Wago connector would also be too large.

New tools will be delivered this morning! Yum.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/01/2016 08:08, WeeBob wrote:
On 28/01/2016 12:13, WeeBob wrote:
Hullo.

The linked image shows some red connectors. Any idea what they're called
and/or what I should replace them with. (I need to replace the
appliance.)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...2012.08.57.jpg

Thanks & regards
Bob

Thanks for all the tips.

I had thought that crimping was only for Cat5 etc, and I'd never seen it
used for power.

Usually I'd have used a choc block, but the appliance has very limited
space. I think a Wago connector would also be too large.

New tools will be delivered this morning! Yum.

I will confess that I probably use Wago more than crimps, easier to test
and adjust. Crimps are at their best for stuff you are never going to
modify.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/01/2016 13:56, newshound wrote:
[...]

and handy for when you need a really slim joint without having to solder
and heatshrink...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

WeeBob wrote:
On 28/01/2016 12:13, WeeBob wrote:
Hullo.

The linked image shows some red connectors. Any idea what they're called
and/or what I should replace them with. (I need to replace the
appliance.)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...2012.08.57.jpg

Thanks & regards
Bob

Thanks for all the tips.

I had thought that crimping was only for Cat5 etc, and I'd never seen it
used for power.

Usually I'd have used a choc block, but the appliance has very limited
space. I think a Wago connector would also be too large.

New tools will be delivered this morning! Yum.

My crimp lugs, and I am retired,minus my usual crimper which I seem to
have mislaid.It is unusual as it is based on the vicegrip principal.
I am getting ancient so my kids will end up with them to throw out.

http://tinypic.com/r/2hhhnie/9

F connectors Bill[_18_] UK diy 16 November 15th 14 04:46 PM
F Connectors Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 4 September 3rd 08 12:17 AM
Can you identify these connectors? JW Electronics Repair 2 July 13th 07 02:06 PM
Can you identify these connectors? Dave Plowman (News) Electronics Repair 0 July 13th 07 11:14 AM
where to get N connectors [email protected] Electronics Repair 9 June 5th 05 08:30 AM