Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Duplicating my wireless router's signal downstairs with same ID and password

I've got a wireless router upstairs and plugged into it is a CAT5 cable that goes downstairs to a small "switch".

I've got a router device plugged into the switch that broadcasts wi-fi downstairs so I get a good signal there too BUT it's got a separate ID and password from the main router upstairs.

Can anyone point my to a way of "duplicating" the wireless signal downstairs so I can use the same ID and password downstairs as well as upstairs.

They must exist but not sure where to start - and I don't want a device that uses the mains cable to carry the signal as of course I have my CAT5 cable in place.

Thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 24 Jan 2016 07:58:23 -0800, Murmansk wrote:

I've got a wireless router upstairs and plugged into it is a CAT5 cable
that goes downstairs to a small "switch".

I've got a router device plugged into the switch that broadcasts wi-fi
downstairs so I get a good signal there too BUT it's got a separate ID
and password from the main router upstairs.

Can anyone point my to a way of "duplicating" the wireless signal
downstairs so I can use the same ID and password downstairs as well as
upstairs.

Doesn't the signal from one router reach the other floor? There's
normally no problem there.

But just change the SSID and password so they're both the same. Or set
your devices up to connect to either, and they'll swap over once one is
unreachable.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 24 Jan 2016 07:58:23 -0800 (PST), Murmansk
wrote:

I've got a wireless router upstairs and plugged into it is a CAT5 cable that goes downstairs to a small "switch".

I've got a router device plugged into the switch that broadcasts wi-fi downstairs so I get a good signal there too BUT it's got a separate ID and password from the main router upstairs.

Can anyone point my to a way of "duplicating" the wireless signal downstairs so I can use the same ID and password downstairs as well as upstairs.

They must exist but not sure where to start - and I don't want a device that uses the mains cable to carry the signal as of course I have my CAT5 cable in place.

Thanks

With the setup you have there, simply change the SSID and password of
the downstairs access point to match that of upstairs. Use a different
radio channel for best effect.

There is a device called a wireless repeater, and it's possible that
the router you are using downstairs has that facility. It associates
itself with your upstairs AP as a client and behaves as an AP in its
own right, and does not need the cable between them.
I mention this only for completeness, your current setup is an even
better solution.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-01-24 15:58:23 +0000, Murmansk said:

I've got a wireless router upstairs and plugged into it is a CAT5 cable
that goes downstairs to a small "switch".

I've got a router device plugged into the switch that broadcasts wi-fi
downstairs so I get a good signal there too BUT it's got a separate ID
and password from the main router upstairs.

Why do you need a switch? If one router is the main one on ADSL/cable
you can simply run Ethernet from one of its ports to a port on the
other router. But for the second router to act as a wireless access
point you need to disable DCHP on it so it works as a hub or switch....

This is what I do in our house from a Virgin cable router (which aso
broadcasts on two wireless frequencies, so we have three Wi-Fi channels
in total). I've not set them up on the same SSID though - I find it
better to see what's doing what...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Why do you need a switch?

to supply my TV box, smart TV, CCTV camera

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/01/16 19:42, Murmansk wrote:
Why do you need a switch?

to supply my TV box, smart TV, CCTV camera

well wifi unit performs te same function as a 'switch'

too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-01-24 19:42:54 +0000, Murmansk said:

Why do you need a switch?

to supply my TV box, smart TV, CCTV camera

Most routers have four ports though. Do you just leave three empty?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-01-24 15:58:23 +0000, Murmansk said:

I've got a wireless router upstairs and plugged into it is a CAT5
cable that goes downstairs to a small "switch".

I've got a router device plugged into the switch that broadcasts wi-fi
downstairs so I get a good signal there too BUT it's got a separate ID
and password from the main router upstairs.

Why do you need a switch? If one router is the main one on ADSL/cable
you can simply run Ethernet from one of its ports to a port on the other
router. But for the second router to act as a wireless access point you
need to disable DCHP on it so it works as a hub or switch....

You also need to ensure that the IP address in the 2nd router does not
conflict with the first router and is not in the DHCP range assigned by
the first router.

--
Michael Chare

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-01-24 15:58:23 +0000, Murmansk said:

I've got a wireless router upstairs and plugged into it is a CAT5
cable that goes downstairs to a small "switch".

I've got a router device plugged into the switch that broadcasts wi-fi
downstairs so I get a good signal there too BUT it's got a separate ID
and password from the main router upstairs.

Why do you need a switch? If one router is the main one on ADSL/cable
you can simply run Ethernet from one of its ports to a port on the other
router. But for the second router to act as a wireless access point you
need to disable DCHP on it so it works as a hub or switch....

You also need to ensure that the IP address in the 2nd router does not
conflict with the first router and is not in the DHCP range assigned by
the first router.

Or that it is in the DHCP range assigned by the first router, because it's
being assigned via DHCP by the first router.
(If it's got a "be an access point, not a router" mode, ticking one box
will probably disable its own DHCP server and tell it to get its own address
from a different DHCP server.)

But if it's already working properly with a seperate SSID, he's presumably
already sorted that bit.

Maybe the OP could tell us what the device is. If it's something like a
TL-WR702N, that would answer the "why a switch and a router" question - not
all routers have multiple ports for wired connections.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Maybe the OP could tell us what the device is. If it's something like a
TL-WR702N, that would answer the "why a switch and a router" question - not
all routers have multiple ports for wired connections.

Nearly right it's a TP-Link TL-WR710N !

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 24 January 2016 16:58:29 UTC+1, Murmansk wrote:
I've got a wireless router upstairs and plugged into it is a CAT5 cable
that goes downstairs to a small "switch".

I've got a router device plugged into the switch that broadcasts wi-fi
downstairs so I get a good signal there too BUT it's got a separate ID
and password from the main router upstairs.

Can anyone point my to a way of "duplicating" the wireless signal
downstairs so I can use the same ID and password downstairs as well as
upstairs.

They must exist but not sure where to start - and I don't want a device
that uses the mains cable to carry the signal as of course I have my
CAT5 cable in place.

I have the reverse problem. I have a perfectly functional wireless system
that covers the house. I also have an old PC that doesn't have a wireless
dongle, and an old wireless router with an ethernet port.

Can I get the router to join the wireless network, and then route from the
PC? So the connection would look like:

ADSL socket---Router - - w i f i - - Router--ethernet--PC
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 28 Jan 2016 06:42:37 -0800, Martin Bonner wrote:

I have the reverse problem. I have a perfectly functional wireless
system that covers the house. I also have an old PC that doesn't have a
wireless dongle, and an old wireless router with an ethernet port.

Can I get the router to join the wireless network, and then route from
the PC?

Depending on the router, yes, but isn't it just easier to buy a cheap USB
wireless dongle? They're less than a fiver, delivered, from a whole raft
of vendors.

http://www.kikatek.com/P266742/WL-70...N-RXS-802-11n-
Nano

is just one who comes up on a quick google...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/01/2016 14:42, Martin Bonner wrote:
On Sunday, 24 January 2016 16:58:29 UTC+1, Murmansk wrote:
I've got a wireless router upstairs and plugged into it is a CAT5 cable
that goes downstairs to a small "switch".

I've got a router device plugged into the switch that broadcasts wi-fi
downstairs so I get a good signal there too BUT it's got a separate ID
and password from the main router upstairs.

Can anyone point my to a way of "duplicating" the wireless signal
downstairs so I can use the same ID and password downstairs as well as
upstairs.

Not sure it is really worth the effort. Most clients will remember more
than one set of network credentials.

They must exist but not sure where to start - and I don't want a device
that uses the mains cable to carry the signal as of course I have my
CAT5 cable in place.

I have the reverse problem. I have a perfectly functional wireless system
that covers the house. I also have an old PC that doesn't have a wireless
dongle, and an old wireless router with an ethernet port.

Wouldn't it be easier to put a cheap wireless USB dongle on the old PC?
Morgan have some nice high power ones that are ideal for experimenting
with cantennas since it doesn't hurt if you fry one. Even Hackintosh
compatible if you are lucky and get the right chipset one.

http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/pro...ongle-Antenna/

With removable antenna - many others are cheaper but this one is ideal
for challenging environments since you can put the antenna where it gets
a decent signal (not up against a wall behind a noisy PC).

After you enable internet sharing on the PC you get

ADSL --Router - - wifi - - dongle --PC--Router'

Can I get the router to join the wireless network, and then route from the
PC? So the connection would look like:

ADSL socket---Router - - w i f i - - Router--ethernet--PC

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Martin Bonner wrote:
I have the reverse problem. I have a perfectly functional wireless system
that covers the house. I also have an old PC that doesn't have a wireless
dongle, and an old wireless router with an ethernet port.

Can I get the router to join the wireless network, and then route from the
PC? So the connection would look like:

ADSL socket---Router - - w i f i - - Router--ethernet--PC

Search for your router model and "bridge mode" or "wireless bridge"
(though the latter sometimes gets misused for repeaters).

The answer may be "yes, just tick the right box on the router UI",
"yes, after reflashing the router with open source firmware", or
"no, not unless you reverse engineer enough to write your own firmware".

http://www.cnet.com/uk/how-to/reuse-...eless-network/