Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default My B&Q closing

Apparently my local B & Q is closing on 23rd Jan.

Wonder if they;ll have anything on sale that's worth it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 18 Jan 2016 06:23:36 -0800, whisky-dave wrote:

Apparently my local B & Q is closing on 23rd Jan.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/

@51.5686583,-0.0295944,3a,75y,321.47h,91.1t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!
1sNeCo4AbO5b8509pTelNGCg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Wonder if they;ll have anything on sale that's worth it.

If previous experience is any guide, some great deals on choc-block
connectors & insulation tape, but sweet FA beyond that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 18 January 2016 14:23:40 UTC, whisky-dave wrote:
Apparently my local B & Q is closing on 23rd Jan.

Wonder if they;ll have anything on sale that's worth it.

Apparently DIY is out of favour these days.
People (esp the younger ones,) want to walk into a perfect house these days with no work attached.
Most people I see in the local B&Q seem to be older.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 18 Jan 2016 23:40:20 -0800 (PST), harry
wrote:

Apparently DIY is out of favour these days.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Apparently DIY is out of favour these days.

That why the Australians think they can make a go of Homebase.
People (esp the younger ones,) want to walk into a perfect house these days with no work attached.
Most people I see in the local B&Q seem to be older.

They will be if you go on Wednesdays.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/01/2016 14:41, whisky-dave wrote:
On Tuesday, 19 January 2016 07:40:25 UTC, harry wrote:
On Monday, 18 January 2016 14:23:40 UTC, whisky-dave wrote:
Apparently my local B & Q is closing on 23rd Jan.

Wonder if they;ll have anything on sale that's worth it.

Apparently DIY is out of favour these days.
People (esp the younger ones,) want to walk into a perfect house these days with no work attached.

That's not realy what happens.
you aren't normmaly allowed to make changes to the places you're renting,
and if can you're unlikely to have the money to do it.

Simialr with cars I hardly see anyone under one tinkering like I used to, there were 3 or 4 people per road doing stuff with their cars when I was at school, now most can;t even change their own front headlamp bulb you need to take it in.

Have you ooked at how difficult it is to change a headlamp bulb in
modern cars? It ofen means working from underneath the front wing with
the wheel temoved (perhaps that is why I see so many one eyed monsters
(cars with only one working headlamp) these days).

I have built a kit car in the late 60s (Ginetta G15) and done my own
servicing (the last major job which I did was to replace front discs on
a Vectra Estate about 15 years ago) Two factors
Anno Domini and the increasing complexity of modern cars has forced me
to have the car examined/serviced by a garage. The first car which I
owned (a Mk 1 Mini) was easy to work on but I would not like to use a
modern 'MinI' as a starter for learnin DIY mechanics

Malcolm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Malcolm Race" wrote in message
[...]

In some ways its much easier than it ever was with the OBD2 system
telling you which sensor has failed so you can just change that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
Apparently DIY is out of favour these days. People (esp the younger
ones,) want to walk into a perfect house these days with no work
attached.

That's not realy what happens. you aren't normmaly allowed to make
changes to the places you're renting, and if can you're unlikely to have
the money to do it.

Simialr with cars I hardly see anyone under one tinkering like I used
to, there were 3 or 4 people per road doing stuff with their cars when I
was at school, now most can;t even change their own front headlamp bulb
you need to take it in.

Given most youngsters spend all their time on their phone or computer, I'd
guess they've not acquired the basic skills needed for DIY on home or car.
They think everything cam be done by a software tweak.

Those brought up with Meccano realise nuts and bolts are needed first.

--
*Stable Relationships Are For Horses.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 19 Jan 2016 16:48:47 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Given most youngsters spend all their time on their phone or computer,
I'd guess they've not acquired the basic skills needed for DIY on home
or car.
They think everything cam be done by a software tweak.

Those brought up with Meccano realise nuts and bolts are needed first.

The young can't afford to buy, they have to rent until they're maybe
35-40 when they can then, maybe, scrape a deposit together. You don't do
DIY on a rented house/flat. A whole generation of would-have-been DIYers
has been lost; priced out of the housing market.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 19 January 2016 19:43:25 UTC, Cursitor Doom wrote:
The young can't afford to buy, they have to rent until they're maybe
35-40 when they can then, maybe, scrape a deposit together.

In the past the first step on the housing ladder was often a decrepit flat or terrace house with ample opportunity for doing it up.

Although they still exist, they're now targeted by buy-to-let landlord developers, and FTBers get directed towards 'starter homes' i.e. newly built rabbit hutches, which come with washing machines, freezers, etc which in the past FTBers would have saved up for (or built their own if they were keen readers of Camm's Comics)

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Cursitor Doom wrote:
The young can't afford to buy, they have to rent until they're maybe
35-40 when they can then, maybe, scrape a deposit together. You don't do
DIY on a rented house/flat.

I rented a flat before buying this house and did a lot of DIY to it. With
the permission and blessing of the landlord.

--
*A woman drove me to drink and I didn't have the decency to thank her

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 19 January 2016 19:43:25 UTC, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Tue, 19 Jan 2016 16:48:47 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Given most youngsters spend all their time on their phone or computer,
I'd guess they've not acquired the basic skills needed for DIY on home
or car.
They think everything cam be done by a software tweak.

Those brought up with Meccano realise nuts and bolts are needed first.

The young can't afford to buy, they have to rent until they're maybe
35-40 when they can then, maybe, scrape a deposit together. You don't do
DIY on a rented house/flat. A whole generation of would-have-been DIYers
has been lost; priced out of the housing market.

By migrants.
And priced out of jobs.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 19 January 2016 16:56:27 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
Apparently DIY is out of favour these days. People (esp the younger
ones,) want to walk into a perfect house these days with no work
attached.

That's not realy what happens. you aren't normmaly allowed to make
changes to the places you're renting, and if can you're unlikely to have
the money to do it.

Simialr with cars I hardly see anyone under one tinkering like I used
to, there were 3 or 4 people per road doing stuff with their cars when I
was at school, now most can;t even change their own front headlamp bulb
you need to take it in.

Given most youngsters spend all their time on their phone or computer,

What else could they own ?.
Can you remmeber what you did as a kid here.

I'd
guess they've not acquired the basic skills needed for DIY on home or car.

Maybe they ahhve more useful skills for them.

They think everything cam be done by a software tweak.

Quite a bit cane did you miss the VW polution scandle I doubt any nuts bots or anything else needed turning to fool you.

Those brought up with Meccano realise nuts and bolts are needed first.

and tehy were teh ones fooled by VW, most other arent; suprisred that this can be done I'm suprised it took this long, as this sort of fiddling has been going on for years.

All your expertise in nuts and bolts are pretty useless when it comes to things like this you'll be fooled everytime.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
Those brought up with Meccano realise nuts and bolts are needed first.

and tehy were teh ones fooled by VW, most other arent; suprisred that
this can be done I'm suprised it took this long, as this sort of
fiddling has been going on for years.

Not quite sure of your logic there. Are you saying that no relative
youngsters owned these cars - and if they did, they'd all have spotted the
problem?

All your expertise in nuts and bolts are pretty useless when it comes to
things like this you'll be fooled everytime.

And where did I say my expertise was limited to nuts and bolts?

I'd guess I know more about fuel injection than most - having assembled my
own ECU, installed and tuned it.

--
*Great groups from little icons grow *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 18 Jan 2016 23:40:20 -0800, harry wrote:
Apparently DIY is out of favour these days.
People (esp the younger ones,) want to walk into a perfect house these
days with no work attached.

Some young folk have moved into a rental down the road from me. They have
been there about 3 months and are still using the box their TV came in as
'curtains'.

Local B&Q closing David Lang UK diy 2 November 26th 15 12:20 AM
I am closing my eyes FrozenNorth[_4_] Woodworking 22 May 29th 10 08:38 PM
Closing cavity end. Mark[_15_] UK diy 9 March 23rd 08 11:35 AM
Closing the cavity freddyuk UK diy 1 January 31st 06 12:12 PM
pre closing fees??? Nada Home Ownership 4 October 27th 04 05:59 AM