Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default cutting ceramic tiles manually ?

I have just finished tiling the wall of shower room and used an
inexpensive manual tile cutter from screwfix, perfect and no broken
tiles (8mm).
I thought I would measure up and cut a couple of the floor tiles so to
start on the floor tomorrow. (polished ceramic 9mm tiles x 60cm long)
I know for the length cuts I will need to use my wet tile cutter but the
less outdoors in this weather the better. So I measured the tile and
cut across the width (30cm) I did as per the wall tiles but at one edge
a small corner snapped off, this was where I had the pressure bar
located, fortunately this tile is for around the door frame and the
broken part will be taken out with the wet cutter as I need to shape it.
As the tiles are slightly thicker should I alter my technique or was it
just bad luck. I scored as I normally did for the wall but did find the
pressure required to snap was much greater.
Should the pressure to snap the tile be constant but increasing until it
snaps?
Where best to place the bar that puts pressure on the tile to snap it? I
currently place about 2 cms in from one edge.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 17/01/2016 22:04, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sun, 17 Jan 2016 20:42:57 +0000, ss wrote:

[...]

IMO you will be far better off using your wet cutter, if by that you
mean one of those little rotary diamond saw jobs. Floor tiles are
thicker, as you've found out, and tend to be a lot stronger than wall
tiles, which are soft by comparison. Floor tiles are fired to a higher
temperature, and tend to be less porous. This is so they can cope with
the pressure of being walked over; wall tiles don't usually have to
cope with that. YMMV, but I think you'll find that you waste a lot
less if you use the saw.

Yes its a diamond rotary and I just bought a fresh blade.
Thanks for the reply, I think you are correct and I will go with the wet
cutter as I am only doing probably less than 3 sq metres when I take the
shower tray area off.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ss wrote:
Yes its a diamond rotary and I just bought a fresh blade.
Thanks for the reply, I think you are correct and I will go with the wet
cutter as I am only doing probably less than 3 sq metres when I take the
shower tray area off.

I tend to use my wet cutter for everything. I know it is slower, but the
better edge makes it worth the time to me. I like to take my time when
tiling anyway. ;-)

--
*Why is the man who invests all your money called a broker? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 17/01/2016 22:27, ss wrote:

Yes its a diamond rotary and I just bought a fresh blade.
Thanks for the reply, I think you are correct and I will go with the wet
cutter as I am only doing probably less than 3 sq metres when I take the
shower tray area off.

A friend of mine did operational research for a large building firm. He
pointed out that the time spent tiling is not on the large areas but on
the edges, because the edges are where the cuts tiles are. Even so, all
tilers still quote by the square metre.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/01/2016 11:01, GB wrote:
On 17/01/2016 22:27, ss wrote:

Yes its a diamond rotary and I just bought a fresh blade.
Thanks for the reply, I think you are correct and I will go with the wet
cutter as I am only doing probably less than 3 sq metres when I take the
shower tray area off.

A friend of mine did operational research for a large building firm. He
pointed out that the time spent tiling is not on the large areas but on
the edges, because the edges are where the cuts tiles are. Even so, all
tilers still quote by the square metre.

I recently cut some porcelain floor tiles on a saw, and the finish was
bloody awful compared to a score and snap. The snapper worked fine until
the offcut got below 2", then I started to get breakages

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
stuart noble wrote:
I recently cut some porcelain floor tiles on a saw, and the finish was
bloody awful compared to a score and snap. The snapper worked fine until
the offcut got below 2", then I started to get breakages

A decent wet cut gives as near a perfect edge as you could wish for.

--
*Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder...

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
stuart noble wrote:
I recently cut some porcelain floor tiles on a saw, and the finish was
bloody awful compared to a score and snap. The snapper worked fine until
the offcut got below 2", then I started to get breakages

A decent wet cut gives as near a perfect edge as you could wish for.

Must have been the tiles or the blade, but it was a decidedly jagged edge