Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 15mm Plasterboard

I recently discovered my daughters new build was dry lined with 15mm PB, never having coming across this I checked out the British Gypsum site and sure enough it is available. Whilst reading the specs. for it I noticed a comment that the board dimensions allowed the use of to quote the "industry standard 600mm stud spacing". I always thought that 400mm was the standard spacing and was wondering if due to the thicker PB this allowed wider stud spacing, it certainly explains the trouble I have had finding studs in her walls which seem to comply with this 600mm standard?

I am posting this as recently I have had my first hollow wall anchor failure the result of using one suitable for 12mm PB, because the anchor did not fully open it pulled its way through the board rather than grip behind when screwed up tight.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tricky Dicky wrote:

I always thought that 400mm was the standard spacing

It's certainly what I build mine to.

and was wondering if due to the thicker PB this allowed wider stud
spacing, it certainly explains the trouble I have had finding studs
in her walls which seem to comply with this 600mm standard?

I did use some 15mm soundblock PB, and those couple of extra mm do make
for much stiffer board, mine went double layer onto horizontal metal
'resilient bars' rather than vertical studs though.

I am posting this as recently I have had my first hollow wall anchor
failure the result of using one suitable for 12mm PB, because the
anchor did not fully open it pulled its way through the board rather
than grip behind when screwed up tight.

The proper setting tool will prevent that
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p96740

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/01/2016 20:07, Andy Burns wrote:
Tricky Dicky wrote:

I always thought that 400mm was the standard spacing

It's certainly what I build mine to.

and was wondering if due to the thicker PB this allowed wider stud
spacing, it certainly explains the trouble I have had finding studs
in her walls which seem to comply with this 600mm standard?

I did use some 15mm soundblock PB, and those couple of extra mm do make
for much stiffer board, mine went double layer onto horizontal metal
'resilient bars' rather than vertical studs though.

I am posting this as recently I have had my first hollow wall anchor
failure the result of using one suitable for 12mm PB, because the
anchor did not fully open it pulled its way through the board rather
than grip behind when screwed up tight.

The proper setting tool will prevent that
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p96740

It will. This type is better but harder to find
http://thumbsnap.com/s/b6atJ1LT.jpg

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
Tricky Dicky writes
I recently discovered my daughters new build was dry lined with 15mm
PB, never having coming across this I checked out the British Gypsum
site and sure enough it is available. Whilst reading the specs. for it
I noticed a comment that the board dimensions allowed the use of to
quote the "industry standard 600mm stud spacing". I always thought that
400mm was the standard spacing and was wondering if due to the thicker
PB this allowed wider stud spacing, it certainly explains the trouble I
have had finding studs in her walls which seem to comply with this
600mm standard?

600mm is the standard nowadays I think, with at least 12.5mm board
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I use a setting tool but the extra 3mm thickness of the PB prevented the anchor from opening out correctly behind the PB instead it spread in the hole and basically breaking up the gypsum and simply pulling through as the screw was tightened. Anyway lesson learned not to make assumptions regards PB thickness in future, still swear by hollow wall anchors for drywall as long as the correct ones are used.

Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/01/2016 19:43, Tricky Dicky wrote:
I recently discovered my daughters new build was dry lined with 15mm PB, never having coming across this I checked out the British Gypsum site and sure enough it is available. Whilst reading the specs. for it I noticed a comment that the board dimensions allowed the use of to quote the "industry standard 600mm stud spacing". I always thought that 400mm was the standard spacing and was wondering if due to the thicker PB this allowed wider stud spacing, it certainly explains the trouble I have had finding studs in her walls which seem to comply with this 600mm standard?

Are you sure that there *are* any studs? A lot of dry lining nowadays is
done by gluing the board to the walls with dollops of plasterboard
adhesive. This leaves a gap of anything up to an inch between board and
solid wall, except where the dollops are.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger, the external walls are dry lined using dot & dab, but all the internal walls are studded walls and the studs are definetly on 600mm centres. I managed a look at one of the houses under construction and what I thought was an incomplete framework turned out to be complete with studs at 600mm centres.

Richard

4-way 15mm tee? Mike Tomlinson UK diy 5 January 14th 09 02:21 PM
15mm T off a T JustMe UK diy 5 January 5th 08 05:37 PM
15mm Oak flooring Martin Carroll UK diy 3 October 11th 07 10:59 PM
10mm to 15mm John Kelly UK diy 29 April 6th 06 12:38 PM
Does exist a 15mm pre-bent copper pipe section with tight (approx 15mm radius) bend Peter UK diy 3 August 28th 05 02:57 PM