Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Restore small tarmac area?

Our drive is mostly paving slabs, but there is a small tarmacked are at the end near the road that is looking rather tired, although there are no actual holes. It's too small, I think, to expect a professional to take the job on, so I was wondering if anyone can recommend something to sort of pour on it and spread it out. I've found a few likely products on the web, but I want to get it right first time, and I'd like to know if anyone here has actually used a product they'd recommend.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 5 January 2016 11:18:54 UTC, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
Our drive is mostly paving slabs, but there is a small tarmacked are at the end near the road that is looking rather tired, although there are no actual holes. It's too small, I think, to expect a professional to take the job on, so I was wondering if anyone can recommend something to sort of pour on it and spread it out. I've found a few likely products on the web, but I want to get it right first time, and I'd like to know if anyone here has actually used a product they'd recommend.

What do you mean by tired?
There are black paint 'tarmac restorers,' but I don't think the results are that good. Very shiny black surface that wears off patchily.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, January 5, 2016 at 12:00:03 PM UTC, wrote:
On Tuesday, 5 January 2016 11:18:54 UTC, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
Our drive is mostly paving slabs, but there is a small tarmacked are at the end near the road that is looking rather tired, although there are no actual holes. It's too small, I think, to expect a professional to take the job on, so I was wondering if anyone can recommend something to sort of pour on it and spread it out. I've found a few likely products on the web, but I want to get it right first time, and I'd like to know if anyone here has actually used a product they'd recommend.

What do you mean by tired?
There are black paint 'tarmac restorers,' but I don't think the results are that good. Very shiny black surface that wears off patchily.

NT

It seems to be going pale and 'drying up', and the gravel is starting to be worn away, especially at the edges.

And thanks for the link to Paving Expert Mr. Huge. But for some reason, I am unable to reply to your post in the groups.google web UI. My ISP has just shut down their NNTP server at the end of the year, so I'm hoping to find another free postable one. In the meantime, I'm reading using SeaMonkey, and posting into google groups on the web.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Dan
S. MacAbre writes
Our drive is mostly paving slabs, but there is a small tarmacked are at
the end near the road that is looking rather tired, although there are
no actual holes. It's too small, I think, to expect a professional to
take the job on, so I was wondering if anyone can recommend something
to sort of pour on it and spread it out. I've found a few likely
products on the web, but I want to get it right first time, and I'd
like to know if anyone here has actually used a product they'd recommend.

How big is 'small'?

and when you say tired, what does that actually mean, loose surface,
patches missing from top layer etc.?

A piccie might be useful
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, January 5, 2016 at 12:29:40 PM UTC, Chris French wrote:
In message , Dan
S. MacAbre writes
Our drive is mostly paving slabs, but there is a small tarmacked are at
the end near the road that is looking rather tired, although there are
no actual holes. It's too small, I think, to expect a professional to
take the job on, so I was wondering if anyone can recommend something
to sort of pour on it and spread it out. I've found a few likely
products on the web, but I want to get it right first time, and I'd
like to know if anyone here has actually used a product they'd recommend.

How big is 'small'?

It's the last yard or so at the end of the drive. The council want us to leave it, since as it's ours on the deeds, they want to be able to get under it. It's about three yards wide by 1 yard long. Or, 3 x 1 metres if you prefer :-)

and when you say tired, what does that actually mean, loose surface,
patches missing from top layer etc.?

Yes, dried up and loose surface, worse at the edges. Not too bad yet, and no holes, but I want to stop it getting worse.

A piccie might be useful

Okay, I'll see if I can get enough daylight.

--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Some you can try:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/..._Party_servers

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/01/2016 11:18, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
Our drive is mostly paving slabs, but there is a small tarmacked are
at the end near the road that is looking rather tired, although there
are no actual holes. It's too small, I think, to expect a
professional to take the job on, so I was wondering if anyone can
recommend something to sort of pour on it and spread it out. I've
found a few likely products on the web, but I want to get it right
first time, and I'd like to know if anyone here has actually used a
product they'd recommend.

For fixing holes etc you can get bags of tarmac from the sheds. These
will do small areas and are solvent based, so don't need to be applied
hot - just spread out as required, and then consolidate it down. The
solvents boil off and let it "set".

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Thanks, eternal-september seems to be the first suitable thing I found,
so I'll try that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-01-05, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
Our drive is mostly paving slabs, but there is a small tarmacked are at the end near the road that is looking rather tired, although there are no actual holes. It's too small, I think, to expect a professional to take the job on, so I was wondering if anyone can recommend something to sort of pour on it and spread it out. I've found a few likely products on the web, but I want to get it right first time, and I'd like to know if anyone here has actually used a product they'd recommend.

http://www.pavingexpert.com/

Thanks, I'll have a read.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
On 05/01/2016 11:18, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
Our drive is mostly paving slabs, but there is a small tarmacked are
at the end near the road that is looking rather tired, although there
are no actual holes. It's too small, I think, to expect a
professional to take the job on, so I was wondering if anyone can
recommend something to sort of pour on it and spread it out. I've
found a few likely products on the web, but I want to get it right
first time, and I'd like to know if anyone here has actually used a
product they'd recommend.

For fixing holes etc you can get bags of tarmac from the sheds. These
will do small areas and are solvent based, so don't need to be applied
hot - just spread out as required, and then consolidate it down. The
solvents boil off and let it "set".

Okay, I'll see what I can find. Thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/01/2016 14:03, DanSMacAbre wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
On 05/01/2016 11:18, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
Our drive is mostly paving slabs, but there is a small tarmacked are
at the end near the road that is looking rather tired, although there
are no actual holes. It's too small, I think, to expect a
professional to take the job on, so I was wondering if anyone can
recommend something to sort of pour on it and spread it out. I've
found a few likely products on the web, but I want to get it right
first time, and I'd like to know if anyone here has actually used a
product they'd recommend.

For fixing holes etc you can get bags of tarmac from the sheds. These
will do small areas and are solvent based, so don't need to be applied
hot - just spread out as required, and then consolidate it down. The
solvents boil off and let it "set".

Okay, I'll see what I can find. Thanks.

Just in my limited experience - I found that stuff very difficult to
work with when it's colder. Didn't seem to go off either.

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
[...]

There are some on Amazon, which means I can read some reviews. I'd
imagine they all work best when it's warm.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
On 05/01/2016 11:18, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
Our drive is mostly paving slabs, but there is a small tarmacked are
at the end near the road that is looking rather tired, although there
are no actual holes. It's too small, I think, to expect a
professional to take the job on, so I was wondering if anyone can
recommend something to sort of pour on it and spread it out. I've
found a few likely products on the web, but I want to get it right
first time, and I'd like to know if anyone here has actually used a
product they'd recommend.

For fixing holes etc you can get bags of tarmac from the sheds. These
will do small areas and are solvent based, so don't need to be applied
hot - just spread out as required, and then consolidate it down. The
solvents boil off and let it "set".

Okay, I'll see what I can find. Thanks.

Although reading your other posts, they may be less well suited to
re-coating the whole area - they are more intended for patching.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
[...]

I'll add that a bag of that stuff covers a VERY small area and yes, it is
better used in warmer weather.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , RJH writes
Just in my limited experience - I found that stuff very difficult to
work with when it's colder. Didn't seem to go off either.

Here, I just put the bags in the car (for about an hour?) with the
heater turned full up, and it was much easier to handle.

It went off OK, but I didn't measure how cold the cold outside was.
--
Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
[...]

Aye, I've found that everything, when spread out, covers nothing like
the area I thought it would.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/01/2016 13:30, John Rumm wrote:
On 05/01/2016 11:18, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
Our drive is mostly paving slabs, but there is a small tarmacked are
at the end near the road that is looking rather tired, although there
are no actual holes. It's too small, I think, to expect a
professional to take the job on, so I was wondering if anyone can
recommend something to sort of pour on it and spread it out. I've
found a few likely products on the web, but I want to get it right
first time, and I'd like to know if anyone here has actually used a
product they'd recommend.

For fixing holes etc you can get bags of tarmac from the sheds. These
will do small areas and are solvent based, so don't need to be applied
hot - just spread out as required, and then consolidate it down. The
solvents boil off and let it "set".

Many years ago, a friend used a few bags of this type of product. Before
laying, he tipped it out onto a large steel sheet. Under the sheet, a
powerful gas burner. The water content largely boiled off, and it seemed
to lay rather like standard hot tarmac - which, by then, it was, nearly
enough.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dan S. MacAbre wrote:

It's the last yard or so at the end of the drive. The council want
us to leave it, since as it's ours on the deeds, they want to be able
to get under it. It's about three yards wide by 1 yard long. Or, 3
x 1 metres if you prefer :-)

It makes no difference what the council want, it's yours to do with as you
please.
If it were mine i would take up the tarmac and place another row of slabs
there, and then just tarmac the remaining few hundred mm with cold lay.

Failing that, I would buy 3m2 of 50mm block paving and fill it in with this,
many different colours and patterns can be had between £8 to £40 per metre

If you told the council you intend to either pave over it or have it
concreted, the chances are they would pay to have it tarmaced
professionally, IE, 100mm base layer and 50mm of top layer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:

On 05/01/2016 11:18, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
Our drive is mostly paving slabs, but there is a small tarmacked are
at the end near the road that is looking rather tired, although there
are no actual holes. It's too small, I think, to expect a
professional to take the job on, so I was wondering if anyone can
recommend something to sort of pour on it and spread it out. I've
found a few likely products on the web, but I want to get it right
first time, and I'd like to know if anyone here has actually used a
product they'd recommend.

For fixing holes etc you can get bags of tarmac from the sheds. These
will do small areas and are solvent based, so don't need to be applied
hot - just spread out as required, and then consolidate it down. The
solvents boil off and let it "set".

Yes -- that's what I would suggest, though I'm no expert. /Proceeds to
mouth off ..../

I have bought 2 or 3 bags of this stuff over the years and use it for
patching our concrete drive (which is slowly spalling and corroding away
in minor potholes).

It looks awful (patches of tarmac in a concrete drive) but it works, and
it *stays*. I only do it when the weather is warm (easier to handle); I
usually line the depression with bitumen (a tin bought for shed roofing
purposes); I spread the tarmac into place using a trowel, then thump it
all over with my lump hammer, and make sure it's approximately even; I
place a good thick board over the patch and once I've driven over it a
couple of times it's done: flattened, and the top surface de-stickied.

I also used this technique about 3 years ago on a pothole that was
appearing in the middle of our street (the Council would have ignored it
until it got much, *much* worse before they would have fixed it). My
patch stayed solid and true whilst all around the road surface decayed
under the weight of the traffic going by: I was amazed at the toughness
and longevity of the stuff.

For your 3x1 meter area I'd get three bags and hire a mechanical thumper
to smooth it all out. And I'd wait until one of those hot Spring days
that we're expecting.

Or I'd find a bloke who knows what he's doing, but that's not as much
fun.

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Phil L wrote:
Dan S. MacAbre wrote:

It's the last yard or so at the end of the drive. The council want
us to leave it, since as it's ours on the deeds, they want to be able
to get under it. It's about three yards wide by 1 yard long. Or, 3
x 1 metres if you prefer :-)

It makes no difference what the council want, it's yours to do with as
you please.

Not entirely true. I know that the main sewer for the road goes under my
drive. The council have the right to ensure that it is accessible. It may
be the same in the OPs case.

--
Please note new email address:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles wrote:
In article ,
Phil L wrote:
Dan S. MacAbre wrote:

It's the last yard or so at the end of the drive. The council want
us to leave it, since as it's ours on the deeds, they want to be able
to get under it. It's about three yards wide by 1 yard long. Or, 3
x 1 metres if you prefer :-)

It makes no difference what the council want, it's yours to do with as
you please.

Not entirely true. I know that the main sewer for the road goes under my
drive. The council have the right to ensure that it is accessible. It may
be the same in the OPs case.

I'm not sure that a restriction would be any greater than "don't build on
it". Any surface can be lifted and restored. Some are just a bit more
expensive to restore. Of course if it's a manhole or inspection chamber
then it would be foolish to make that inaccessible.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/01/2016 20:09, polygonum wrote:

Many years ago, a friend used a few bags of this type of product. Before
laying, he tipped it out onto a large steel sheet. Under the sheet, a
powerful gas burner. The water content largely boiled off, and it seemed
to lay rather like standard hot tarmac - which, by then, it was, nearly
enough.

A few years ago I dug a hole in a drive, I put the old tarmac in the
oven for an hour and then relaid it around the post I put in.
Its been there for a couple of decades now.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 6 January 2016 15:20:23 UTC, dennis@home wrote:
On 05/01/2016 20:09, polygonum wrote:

Many years ago, a friend used a few bags of this type of product. Before
laying, he tipped it out onto a large steel sheet. Under the sheet, a
powerful gas burner. The water content largely boiled off, and it seemed
to lay rather like standard hot tarmac - which, by then, it was, nearly
enough.

A few years ago I dug a hole in a drive, I put the old tarmac in the
oven for an hour and then relaid it around the post I put in.
Its been there for a couple of decades now.

IIUC that's what scalpings are.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've seen or rather felt and rattled some drive wide metal grills at the
edge orf properties or drives, but the question is who's job is keeping the
weeds away from such things I wonder?
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
"Tim+" wrote in message
charles wrote:
In article ,
Phil L wrote:
Dan S. MacAbre wrote:

It's the last yard or so at the end of the drive. The council want
us to leave it, since as it's ours on the deeds, they want to be able
to get under it. It's about three yards wide by 1 yard long. Or, 3
x 1 metres if you prefer :-)

It makes no difference what the council want, it's yours to do with as
you please.

Not entirely true. I know that the main sewer for the road goes under my
drive. The council have the right to ensure that it is accessible. It
may
be the same in the OPs case.

I'm not sure that a restriction would be any greater than "don't build on
it". Any surface can be lifted and restored. Some are just a bit more
expensive to restore. Of course if it's a manhole or inspection chamber
then it would be foolish to make that inaccessible.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 6 January 2016 22:43:52 UTC, polygonum wrote:
On 06/01/2016 17:27, tabbypurr wrote:
On Wednesday, 6 January 2016 15:20:23 UTC, dennis@home wrote:
On 05/01/2016 20:09, polygonum wrote:

A few years ago I dug a hole in a drive, I put the old tarmac in the
oven for an hour and then relaid it around the post I put in.
Its been there for a couple of decades now.

IIUC that's what scalpings are.

I don't think so, and Paving Expert says:

Scalpings
Scalpings are, correctly, the off-cuts or shards created by dressing
stone for building work, ie, a quarry waste.

Do you, perhaps, mean something like "planings" - from preparation of
tarmac surfaces for relaying?

yup.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , charles
writes
In article ,
Phil L wrote:
Dan S. MacAbre wrote:

It's the last yard or so at the end of the drive. The council want
us to leave it, since as it's ours on the deeds, they want to be able
to get under it. It's about three yards wide by 1 yard long. Or, 3
x 1 metres if you prefer :-)

It makes no difference what the council want, it's yours to do with as
you please.

Not entirely true. I know that the main sewer for the road goes under my
drive. The council have the right to ensure that it is accessible. It may
be the same in the OPs case.

Similar with us. The last metre up to the road (no pavement) is ours but
we must ensure access to services which run underneath.
--
bert