Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Screwfix Website

Looking for some odd size woodscrews - pozis with the
thread running all the way down - 2 1/4 x 12 in old
money or 60 x 6 ; near enough anyway.
Checked on my first port of call Toolstation.
Their ranges are all listed is size order and as
expected from memory anyway - 2 1/4 only go up
to x 10 or 60 up to 5.
Tried the Screwfix site.

Unless I'm doing something very, very, wrong -

It seems the numpties who designed the Screwfix site
and the morons who signed it off decided it would be
a good idea to list screws - not in size order -
but instead give the customer the choice of sorting
by

Top Sellers, Price High to Low, Price Low to High"
Product Brand A-toZ, product Brand Z to A, Average Star
Rating. None of which bring up a size sorted list
but a mixture of individual sizes.

Which is total ********. You chose your sort
categories according to the characteristics of
what you're selling. Without checking maybe this
is a straight port of the B&Q abortion. The only
surprise is that they didn't include "sort
by colour" as well.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/12/2015 15:19, Turnip Watch wrote:
[...]

You can set Brand, size, head type, diameter and pack size?
For an example where I have chosen Quicksilver:

http://www.screwfix.com/c/screws-nai...or t_by=price

I might agree about their search engine, it is poor.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fredxxx" wrote in message ...
On 30/12/2015 15:19, Turnip Watch wrote:

You can set Brand, size, head type, diameter and pack size?
For an example where I have chosen Quicksilver:

http://www.screwfix.com/c/screws-nai...or t_by=price

Looking at that I'm getting a page with mixed heads including
slotted heads on the first and second row, or in list view
3rd and 5th down. Again pack size and price come second
to size. If somebody is looking for a particular size
of screw, pack size and price come second and third
on their list of priorities.

And clicking on any particular size doedn't bring up any
more informatuon unless you count reviews.

Here's an equivalent page from Toolstation resulting from
entering "twin thread pozi" in the search box and clicking
on one particular size with search set to relevance

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p63496

With a full list in size order given below.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Maybe it was an old design for selling something totally different
altogether!
I find this sort of annoyance on Amazon. You would put in, say cassette
recorders and also find listed mp3 recorders, MP3 storage devices and indeed
almost anything at all in any department at all but might have cassette in
it even if you prevfix it with the word audio.
I just think that those who put items on to web sites do not really get it.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
"Turnip Watch" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian-Gaff" wrote in message
Maybe it was an old design for selling something totally different altogether!
I find this sort of annoyance on Amazon. You would put in, say cassette recorders and
also find listed mp3 recorders, MP3 storage devices and indeed almost anything at all
in any department at all but might have cassette in it even if you prevfix it with the
word audio.
I just think that those who put items on to web sites do not really get it.
Brian

Maybe with Amazon, as with supermarkets spacing out all the
essentials in the far corners of the store so as to expose
you to more goods, the idea is to try to get you to buy
things you never had any intention of buying.

Another site which is notorious for that is Homebase. As
whatever search term you put in, its almost certain that
among the first five hits will be something to do with
bathroom fittings or curtains

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Turnip Watch wrote
Brian-Gaff wrote

Maybe it was an old design for selling something totally different
altogether!
I find this sort of annoyance on Amazon. You would put in, say cassette
recorders and also find listed mp3 recorders, MP3 storage devices and
indeed almost anything at all in any department at all but might have
cassette in it even if you prevfix it with the word audio.

I just think that those who put items on to web sites do not really get
it.

Maybe with Amazon, as with supermarkets spacing out all the essentials in
the far corners of the store so as to expose you to more goods, the idea
is to try to get you to buy things you never had any intention of buying.

Yeah, I'm sure that's the reason for that. Pain in the arse IMO.

Another site which is notorious for that is Homebase. As whatever search
term you put in, its almost certain that among the first five hits will be
something to do with bathroom fittings or curtains

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian-Gaff wrote

Maybe it was an old design for selling something totally different
altogether!

More likely that no one actually considered what many would want to sort on.

I find this sort of annoyance on Amazon.

Yeah, it has one of the worst searches around of the majors.

It has recently improved significantly tho, you can now filter
by items that can be shipped to your location and they do
show the shipping cost on the main page for the item when
your location is outside the main country for the amazon site.

And you don’t have to specify a category before it will sort either.

You would put in, say cassette recorders and also find listed mp3
recorders, MP3 storage devices and indeed almost anything at all in any
department at all but might have cassette in it even if you prevfix it
with the word audio.

Yeah, that has always been one massive downside with amazon,
they throw in stuff that doesn’t include the search terms at all.

I've decided that is deliberate, so you see stuff you haven't asked
to see, so you may find that worth buying too. And that is still
there are the recent major rewrite too, so I bet its deliberate.

Aliexpress is much worse the other way, you can get **** all
hits with the most basic search terms like Seagate for example.

Refining the search is quite good with some sites that allow
you to select subsets of the category that are specific to the
category with say external hard drives as a subset of hard
drives and then by brand within that.

I just think that those who put items on to web sites do not really get
it.

That is certainly true of the sort of search that mike is talking about.

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 30 December 2015 15:19:54 UTC, Turnip Watch wrote:
Without checking maybe this
is a straight port of the B&Q abortion.

The Screwfix website hasn't enabled me to place an order the last couple of times I tried. When I phoned they said they knew there was a problem ...

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Truly awful. Recently (at least months) I have been finding it is
entirely unusable unless I regularly force a page refresh. For example,
put "skyhook" in search box, hit the go and look for it button. Nothing
happens. Refresh, try again, it might work. Similarly with the filter
options. Might be due to using ad blocker - but it is a foolish thing to
make a website so bad that customers go elsewhere.

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/12/2015 19:21, polygonum wrote:
[...]

I'm simply amazed. Apart from the search engine issues with limited key
words, I currently don't have any problems with the site, and I
generally use Firefox with uBlock to block adverts.

Some time ago I used some alternative adblock plugin which was quite
aggressive, that rendered the website virtually useless. Screwfix seem
to have numerous photos and scripts from a wide number of different but
related domains.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/12/2015 19:31, Fredxxx wrote:

I'm simply amazed. Apart from the search engine issues with limited key
words, I currently don't have any problems with the site, and I
generally use Firefox with uBlock to block adverts.

Some time ago I used some alternative adblock plugin which was quite
aggressive, that rendered the website virtually useless. Screwfix seem
to have numerous photos and scripts from a wide number of different but
related domains.

And I use Firefox (up to date) with uBlock! (Don't imagine OS matters -
but W10, in case it does.)

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/12/2015 20:25, polygonum wrote:
On 30/12/2015 19:31, Fredxxx wrote:

I'm simply amazed. Apart from the search engine issues with limited key
words, I currently don't have any problems with the site, and I
generally use Firefox with uBlock to block adverts.

Some time ago I used some alternative adblock plugin which was quite
aggressive, that rendered the website virtually useless. Screwfix seem
to have numerous photos and scripts from a wide number of different but
related domains.

And I use Firefox (up to date) with uBlock! (Don't imagine OS matters -
but W10, in case it does.)

And for a completely unconnected reason, I needed to use the site again
a few minutes ago. Seems to be its usual crap instead of cussedly worse
than usual. Maybe they have fixed something? Probably by accident.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/12/2015 22:17, Jonno wrote:
polygonum scribbled

[...]

WTF would Screwfix have adverts on their site?

They are running Coremetrics -
"... a leading provider of web analytics and marketing optimization
solutions helps businesses relentlessly optimize their marketing..."

Which probably what causes most of the problems.

I didn't say that they have ads on their site. (Though plenty of
commercial sites do actually have adverts for all sorts of things on
them.) But the blocking techniques used by an adblocker can sometimes
affect whether a site works or not. Reasonably frequently I find I have
to switch the ad blocker off on a site to enable it to work.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

I find the search facility on the SF site pretty useless - it invariably
comes up with things which are totally unrelated to what I'm trying to find!

It's far easier to find things in the printed catalogue and then enter
the item number to locate them on the site.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/12/2015 23:25, Roger Mills wrote:
[...]

I find the site easier to navigate.

As you say the search is crap. I have resorted to putting the site in
Google and searching for parts there!

"site:screwfix.co.uk dpm"

gets me just 6 hits.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
[...]

Indeed. If you don't know the "correct" Screwfix, or Toolstation
name for whetever you're looking for - with often different names for
exactly the same item on either site, then basically you're screwed
when using the search [mal]function. It seems there's no such thing
as a "near miss"; if you don't hit the mark, then you could end up
almost anywhere.

It's far easier to find things in the printed catalogue and then enter the item number
to locate them on the site.

In theory at least, rather then the search box there's always the menu
bar and the drop down menus, which are a straight port from the B&Q
site. Although I haven't used them much myself as I mainly use
Toolstation. The B&Q menus did seem a bit hover/click happy however,
maybe optimised for mobiles/tablets dunno. I stopped the catalogues
as with theirs and Toolstation every couple of months it was becoming
a bit of a chore to dispose of them all.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Oh dear! Things going backwards