Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default peat ash in concrete

Hi
I'm thinking of putting a small walkway to the door of a garden
shed. I have a bin full of peat ash [from peat briquettes]

Looking on the net suggests that "fly ash" can be used to replace some
of the cement.

Has anyone experience of this?

Regards

HN

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/12/2015 13:58, H. Neary wrote:
Hi
I'm thinking of putting a small walkway to the door of a garden
shed. I have a bin full of peat ash [from peat briquettes]

Looking on the net suggests that "fly ash" can be used to replace some
of the cement.

Has anyone experience of this?

I would suggest that any ash that has been hanging around will have
regained the CO2 lost when originally heated so of little use. If bagged
once cold and kept in a sealed then there is a fighting chance it might
not go off.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 26 December 2015 13:57:53 UTC, H. Neary wrote:
Hi
I'm thinking of putting a small walkway to the door of a garden
shed. I have a bin full of peat ash [from peat briquettes]

Looking on the net suggests that "fly ash" can be used to replace some
of the cement.

Has anyone experience of this?

Best put on the garden for potash.
Go out and buy proper aggregate
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 26 Dec 2015 08:35:27 -0800 (PST), harry
wrote:

On Saturday, 26 December 2015 13:57:53 UTC, H. Neary wrote:
Hi
I'm thinking of putting a small walkway to the door of a garden
shed. I have a bin full of peat ash [from peat briquettes]

Looking on the net suggests that "fly ash" can be used to replace some
of the cement.

Has anyone experience of this?

Best put on the garden for potash.
Go out and buy proper aggregate

Currently the area I want to concrete is under water, so there is
little lost if there is a problem.

I have a large amount of sand left from a flooring project, so I
thought that if the ash were added it would save a little on cement
and a whole lot more on the cost of disposal.

I tried dropping the stuff onto the garden, but it takes years before
anything grows on it. I just wish I had enough to redo the roadway to
the house, I had it put down about three years ago and there must be
something in the limestone chippings that the weeds adore. An earlier
ash "dump" from the same period is still free of growth of any
description.

HN

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 26 Dec 2015 18:42:39 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Sat, 26 Dec 2015 16:52:38 +0000, H. Neary
wrote:

Fresh wood ash is pretty caustic; I expect fresh peat ash would be
similar. I imagine it would sterilise and destroy any weed seeds or
seedlings in the area you spread it, and the area is now taking time
to be recolonised. The limestone gravel on its own provides an ideal
environment for weed seeds to germinate and grow - moist, good
drainage, enough soil to get established and protection at the
seedling stage when they're most vulnerable.

You are quite right!

I have just measured the ash from the stove, pH 13.

I assume it gets neutralised over the years courtesy of the CO2 in the
atmos.

I'll give it a try with the cement, I assume that a bit of
neutralisation would make it more plant friendly if the cement comes a
cropper.

Regards

HN

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sat, 26 Dec 2015 13:58:08 +0000, H. Neary
wrote:

Hi
I'm thinking of putting a small walkway to the door of a garden
shed. I have a bin full of peat ash [from peat briquettes]

Looking on the net suggests that "fly ash" can be used to replace some
of the cement.

Has anyone experience of this?

Regards

HN

No direct experience, but many ashes have pozzolanic properties (i.e.
when mixed with lime and water, they set like cement). The Romans used
volcanic ash extensively as a pozzolanic cement in their structures,
many of which still survive, although their volcanic ash won't
necessarily have the same composition as your peat ash. But biomass
ash will be very similar. There's probably something in one of these
articles that will tell all. http://tinyurl.com/ofsohoy In general,
it seems it's not a bad thing to do and may have advantages if you
don't add too much.

I visited a medieval house in Cheshire a few years go and found that some
upstairs floors seemed to be made of concrete. I read that the material was
a mix of ash and cattle dung.

--
Please note new email address:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 26 Dec 2015 15:34:40 -0000, charles wrote:

wrote:

[...]

With a health warning: "Always use a small amount of ventilation" (TM Tilley).

--
Hickory dickory dock, three mice ran up the clock. The clock struck one, and the others got away with minor injuries.