Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Mathematical Conundrum III

On Tuesday, 8 December 2015 12:27:03 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
On 07/12/2015 18:45, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , John
Rumm writes
snip
Or it wasn't covered very well, it wasn't at my school. No real
reason for using it was given at scooh no Why would we need it. And

even then it was 22/7. We know the greeks used in and the egyptians
used it for pyramids but that was it. of course the time wasted on
reading shakespeare or virtually any other story book ! What great
knowledge to I get from Alice in Wonderland, Kes, Lord of the flies,

The same argument could be turned toward any subject that did not
float your boat really. Much as those do today when they announce with
pride they have no idea how a screwdriver works.

Developing an interest is a vital part of education. Again, 1st. year

Indeed, and reading in general is a very big part of that... its
sometimes very easy for those of us with a technical disposition to
dismiss "shakespeare or virtually any other story book",

I wouldn;t dismis them any more than I'd dismaiss start trek but it seems very easy for teh intelituls to dismis things like star trek and would only consider you as inteligent if you read such things as shakspeare and dickens.
Which is why they are relatively few MPs/polititions that know anyhting about teh real world but they are experts at alice in wonderland or any other fictiona;l book and can't work out why their so called polices aren't working for real people but would work fine on fantasy island.

when in reality
there is a wealth of knowledge and understanding contained therein, not
least training the mind to think and analyse.

but **** in the real world.