Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cordless hammer drill for DIY

Any recommendations for a cordless hammer drill - for DIY use, not
professional? Would like to avoid NiCd-battery versions and having to be
careful how/when to charge it.

I had a Bosch corded drill which lasted for many years. It would be good
to get something similarly long-lasting, although I understand that a
battery would not last more than a few years.

To my surprise I see Makita have some affordable products. I think of
the name as relatively high end but do their affordable hammer drills
mean that they are getting into lower quality merchandise?

A bonus would be being able to use the same batteries in other kit.

So, any suggestions for a DIY cordless hammer drill? Is there a
sweet-spot for such things these days?

James
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/12/2015 16:42, James Harris wrote:
Any recommendations for a cordless hammer drill - for DIY use, not
professional? Would like to avoid NiCd-battery versions and having to be
careful how/when to charge it.

I had a Bosch corded drill which lasted for many years. It would be good
to get something similarly long-lasting, although I understand that a
battery would not last more than a few years.

To my surprise I see Makita have some affordable products. I think of
the name as relatively high end but do their affordable hammer drills
mean that they are getting into lower quality merchandise?

They do a lot of deals with Ni Cads but also with Li-Ion, probably with
cheaper chucks.

I've got one of these, can't fault it;
http://www.screwfix.com/p/hitachi-dv...bi-drill/8652f

A bonus would be being able to use the same batteries in other kit.

All the Hitachi stuff has the same batteries. I bought the 18v combi
because it's batteries are compatible with my Hitachi SDS

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

David Lang Wrote in message:
[...]

How do you find the 1.5ah batteries?

I went from makita nicds to 3ah lithium ions by modding the
existing tools and it's a transformation, but wonder how much
1.5ah will do especially in an sds?

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/12/2015 18:45, jim wrote:
David Lang Wrote in message:
[...]

Pretty good. The charger is fairly quick and it came with 2 batteries,
not been a problem. Nice & light!

I went from makita nicds to 3ah lithium ions by modding the
existing tools and it's a transformation, but wonder how much
1.5ah will do especially in an sds?

Sorry, the SDS has a 3a/hr battery. I've used the 1.5 to back up the SDS
more than the other way around.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to James Harris , richpwrr wrote:
james.harris.1 wrote:

Any recommendations for a cordless hammer drill - for DIY use, not
professional? Would like to avoid NiCd-battery versions and having to be
careful how/when to charge it.
I had a Bosch corded drill which lasted for many years. It would be good
to get something similarly long-lasting, although I understand that a
battery would not last more than a few years.
To my surprise I see Makita have some affordable products. I think of
the name as relatively high end but do their affordable hammer drills
mean that they are getting into lower quality merchandise?
A bonus would be being able to use the same batteries in other kit.
So, any suggestions for a DIY cordless hammer drill? Is there a
sweet-spot for such things these days?
James

Hi James,

Having been in a similar situation recently, I looked into a lot of
options. as you did, i used to think Makita was out of my price range but
have recently found some good offers. I have just bought a Makita DHP456
drill and can not speak highly enough about it. It has had no problems
with any of the tasks I have used it for so far. As you alluded, to the
advantage it has is that it shares a battery with loads of other bits of
kit. I have also just bought a makita jigsaw. Because the battery fits
both, I went for a body only option and saved loads.

Search for fastfix as they have some pretty good prices.

Rich

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article s.com,
richpwrr wrote:
Having been in a similar situation recently, I looked into a lot of
options. as you did, i used to think Makita was out of my price range but
have recently found some good offers. I have just bought a Makita DHP456
drill and can not speak highly enough about it. It has had no problems
with any of the tasks I have used it for so far. As you alluded, to the
advantage it has is that it shares a battery with loads of other bits of
kit. I have also just bought a makita jigsaw. Because the battery fits
both, I went for a body only option and saved loads.

Given the batteries always die before the tool itself is worn out, this
may or may not be a good option. Depending on how much a battery costs
bought on its own - it may be cheaper as part of a package.

--
*Whatever kind of look you were going for, you missed.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article s.com,
richpwrr wrote:
Having been in a similar situation recently, I looked into a lot of
options. as you did, i used to think Makita was out of my price range but
have recently found some good offers. I have just bought a Makita DHP456
drill and can not speak highly enough about it. It has had no problems
with any of the tasks I have used it for so far. As you alluded, to the
advantage it has is that it shares a battery with loads of other bits of
kit. I have also just bought a makita jigsaw. Because the battery fits
both, I went for a body only option and saved loads.

Given the batteries always die before the tool itself is worn out, this
may or may not be a good option. Depending on how much a battery costs
bought on its own - it may be cheaper as part of a package.

The really annoying thing about Makita is that the new Li Ion batts
don't fit the older tools.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

David Lang Wrote in message:
In article s.com,
richpwrr wrote:
Having been in a similar situation recently, I looked into a lot of
options. as you did, i used to think Makita was out of my price range but
have recently found some good offers. I have just bought a Makita DHP456
drill and can not speak highly enough about it. It has had no problems
with any of the tasks I have used it for so far. As you alluded, to the
advantage it has is that it shares a battery with loads of other bits of
kit. I have also just bought a makita jigsaw. Because the battery fits
both, I went for a body only option and saved loads.

Given the batteries always die before the tool itself is worn out, this
may or may not be a good option. Depending on how much a battery costs
bought on its own - it may be cheaper as part of a package.

The really annoying thing about Makita is that the new Li Ion batts
don't fit the older tools.

There was/is someone on eBay etc selling an adaptor to use mak
lithium batteries with older mak kit... I made my own
up.

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/12/2015 17:17, David Lang wrote:
On 06/12/2015 16:42, James Harris wrote:

Any recommendations for a cordless hammer drill - for DIY use, not
professional? Would like to avoid NiCd-battery versions and having to be
careful how/when to charge it.

I had a Bosch corded drill which lasted for many years. It would be good
to get something similarly long-lasting, although I understand that a
battery would not last more than a few years.

To my surprise I see Makita have some affordable products. I think of
the name as relatively high end but do their affordable hammer drills
mean that they are getting into lower quality merchandise?

They do a lot of deals with Ni Cads but also with Li-Ion, probably with
cheaper chucks.

I've got one of these, can't fault it;
http://www.screwfix.com/p/hitachi-dv...bi-drill/8652f

That's good enough for me. I bought one yesterday - cost £90.

A bit of an odd tale: When I got home and opened the box there were two
batteries and a charger in it but no drill. I don't think I have ever
before bought a boxed product only to find the product missing.

Fortunately, after I phoned Screwfix they checked their CCTV footage and
could see that a mistake had been made. They had apparently given me the
box for a drill that was on display. All sorted now.

James

Posted to uk.d-i-y

james.harris.1 wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the feedback. I saw your post just after I bought a Hitachi
but I guess either will do.

I have also just bought a makita jigsaw. Because the battery fits
both, I went for a body only option and saved loads.

I took a look at some body-only prices online and I have to say the 18V
jigsaws seem expensive (for Hitachi and Makita) whereas lower voltage
units are cheaper. E.g. (both Makita) 18V £139, 10.8V £64 at

http://www.toolstop.co.uk/cordless-jigsaws-b518

James