Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Insulating a window bay

In the course of renovations a window bay that was previously panelled over
has been exposed. (This was where the main incoming fuse was hidden!)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2izs7im0nk...2002.jpeg?dl=1

The panelling is sometimes dripping with condensation, aggravated by a lack
of extractor fans and the presence of an underfloor air vent that makes the
panels cold. There doesn't appear to be any insulation between the panels
and the stone/brickwork.

We'd quite like to turn that area into a cupboard (there's an existing wide
shelf above it) but
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim+" wrote in message
In the course of renovations a window bay that was previously panelled
over
has been exposed. (This was where the main incoming fuse was hidden!)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2izs7im0nk...2002.jpeg?dl=1

The panelling is sometimes dripping with condensation, aggravated by a
lack
of extractor fans and the presence of an underfloor air vent that makes
the
panels cold. There doesn't appear to be any insulation between the panels
and the stone/brickwork.

We'd quite like to turn that area into a cupboard (there's an existing
wide
shelf above it) but

But what?

Aside from the panelled bay, the new joists appear to be sitting on
soil/debris. These will be rotted away within a year or two if they are left
like this, they need elevating above this and could do with underfloor
ventilation as a minimum.
It looks like someone has removed a concrete floor and installed a timber
floor in it's place without any thought whatsover.

As for the alcove, you could stip off the panneling, add some insulation and
re-panel with new timber or plasterboard and skim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:

"Tim+" wrote in message
[...]

But, but... where did the rest of my message go?

....but don't want to lose too much "volume". I know that this would be
best achieved by what you suggest but I just don't like the idea of
stripping out original woodwork unless really necessary.

It's a 100 year old house, solid walls + lath & plaster. I don't suppose
there's much behind the panelling though.

The floor is "work in progress". Because of pre-existing cables the
original joiner (who was replacing some rotten joists) didn't go into the
alcove. The new joist are actually resting on a timber plate on top of some
DPC so I think they're okay. A bit annoying that he didn't do the alcove
though.

I've lifted the remaining floor in the alcove to remove the old cables and
plan to extend the existing new joists which *won't* be resting on the
ground.

Regarding insulation, I'm wondering how much thickness of Celotex/Kingspan
is worth adding in this small area given the relative lack of insulation
elsewhere. No point in going too bonkers I suppose?

Any suggestions of easy to cut and install insulation that's available in
small quantities? If it has plasterboard bonded to one side so much the
better.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 18 November 2015 16:10:30 UTC, Tim wrote:
Phil L wrote:

"Tim+" wrote in message
[...]

A very small thickness makes all the difference. PB fronted insulation is always polystyrene AFAICT, and I wouldn't want that in the house. Bad news in a fire.

The overall problem is as you say lack of insulation, and maybe too high RH, the cause of which might be anywhere.

FWIW some wood survives sat on soil, but not of course cheap softwoods. Such constructions must have dumped a ton of water vapour into the building.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Are you planning to retain the panelling with insulation behind? Make sure there is an air gap to the brickwork and include a vapour barrier on the warm side of the insulation before replacing the panel or PB, you might also consider an air brick in the external wall.

Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message

A very small thickness makes all the difference. PB fronted insulation is
always polystyrene AFAICT, and I wouldn't want that in the house. Bad news
in a fire.

The overall problem is as you say lack of insulation, and maybe too high
RH, the cause of which might be anywhere.

FWIW some wood survives sat on soil, but not of course cheap softwoods.
Such constructions must have dumped a ton of water vapour into the
building.

Polystyrene insulated PB is perfect for this situation, the PB is itself a
30 minute fire barrier - if the house has been ablaze for that long,
polystyrene fumes are the least of your worries

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Phil L wrote:

"Tim+" wrote in message
[...]

A very small thickness makes all the difference. PB fronted insulation is always polystyrene AFAICT snip

NT

Er no. it can just as easily and more effectively be kingspan or
celotex (or equivalent) pir insulation.

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----