Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Insulating around window air condition for winter...

I would like to insulate around my window air condition for winter.

I have already taken off the inside cover and covered the face of the
AC unit itself with 2 layers of 3mil black plastic (from contractor
bag). I also have inserted foam weatherstripping to seal between the
upper and lower window sashes.

However the louvers on the sides that fill the gaps between the AC
unit and the window jamb seem to be a much bigger source of air
leakage.

What is the best way to seal those in a cost-effective, simple, and
non-obtrusive fashion?

I could use caulking chord to seal the actual air gaps, but that still
would leave the uninsulated louvers as a sourec of heat transfer.

Any product or homebrew suggestions?

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

blueman wrote:
I would like to insulate around my window air condition for winter.

I have already taken off the inside cover and covered the face of the
AC unit itself with 2 layers of 3mil black plastic (from contractor
bag). I also have inserted foam weatherstripping to seal between the
upper and lower window sashes.

However the louvers on the sides that fill the gaps between the AC
unit and the window jamb seem to be a much bigger source of air
leakage.

What is the best way to seal those in a cost-effective, simple, and
non-obtrusive fashion?

I could use caulking chord to seal the actual air gaps, but that still
would leave the uninsulated louvers as a sourec of heat transfer.

Any product or homebrew suggestions?

Thanks

Remove air conditioner. Close window. Easiest and cheapest way to
save money and comfort.....

-paul

Posted to alt.home.repair

Paul's idea is good. But if you want to leave it in, have you thought about
spray foam that is sold in cans? It expands to fill any void. It sticks to
all surfaces, so it would be more or less perminent. I have also used
plastic wrap to cover the surface that I want to protect, then foamed,
with very good results.

--------
KaCe
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Remove air conditioner. Close window. Easiest and cheapest way to
save money and comfort.....

Cheapest, yes. Easiest, not for everyone. I leave one of my ACs in because
it is more than I can safely handle myself. I'm glad you can do it, but
don't think that everyone can.

Posted to alt.home.repair

get a helper and do it right remove unit.

besides the unit will last longer if out of the weather for the wnter.

so you gain twice lower utilitry bill in winter less likely to have to
buy a new one next spring

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" writes:
wrote in message
Remove air conditioner. Close window. Easiest and cheapest way to
save money and comfort.....

Cheapest, yes. Easiest, not for everyone. I leave one of my ACs in because
it is more than I can safely handle myself. I'm glad you can do it, but
don't think that everyone can.

Agreed - it is heavy and I would have to drag it down from the 3rd
floor back to the basement. Also, I have the cage screwed in plus when
I remove it, I would have to clean it too probably, etc... PITA.
Posted to alt.home.repair

blueman wrote:
I would like to insulate around my window air condition for winter.

I agree that is is best to remove it but for sure can be a difficult
job. Hire or rent whatever tools or helpers you need to get the job
done. This also gives the opportunity to service the unit which I have
learned needs to be done each year. I use a forklift to remove mine.