Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default £3 million and rusty nails !!!!

Anyone watch the Grand Designs on telly this evening?

Fabulous pad on the Isle of Wight, clad in expensive impregnated timber,
fixed with un galvanised nails so rusty stains running down everywhere !!!!!

Madness

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Mawson wrote:

Fabulous pad on the Isle of Wight, clad in expensive impregnated
timber, fixed with un galvanised nails so rusty stains running down
everywhere !!!!!

Agreed. I watched it last (?) month and thought it was a mess.

And I thought stainless was recommended for all ext cladding....

But then I'm never sure if Grand Designs have a design life greater than
c20 years

--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/11/2015 22:05, Andrew Mawson wrote:
Anyone watch the Grand Designs on telly this evening?

Fabulous pad on the Isle of Wight, clad in expensive impregnated timber,
fixed with un galvanised nails so rusty stains running down everywhere
!!!!!

Madness

Andrew

I even used stainless steel screws on my lowly garden fence.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 5 November 2015 22:05:29 UTC, Andrew Mawson wrote:
Anyone watch the Grand Designs on telly this evening?

Fabulous pad on the Isle of Wight, clad in expensive impregnated timber,
fixed with un galvanised nails so rusty stains running down everywhere !!!!!

Madness

Andrew

Gone right off Grand Designs. And this follow on program.
It used to be very good,all sorts of DIYers and oddballs.
+Strange projects.

Now it's just uninhabitable glass boxes with posturing brain dead architects.
They always run out of money (some bloody architects, can't even cost a project)'
A brain dead Kev always does his pessimist thing first.
At the end goes round swooning over some ****ty glass box monstrosity, that's in dire need of instant demolition.

I always use SS screws outside these days.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

***The Australia one is even worse.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/11/15 22:12, Jonno wrote:
Andrew Mawson scribbled

Anyone watch the Grand Designs on telly this evening?

Fabulous pad on the Isle of Wight, clad in expensive impregnated timber,
fixed with un galvanised nails so rusty stains running down everywhere !!!!!

Madness

Character innit.

There's some building coming into London on the Hastings line that's
"clad" in rusty expanded metal. It it's made to look like that. It's
almost like it was pre-rusted and soaked in lacquer.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

There's some building coming into London on the Hastings line that's
"clad" in rusty expanded metal. It it's made to look like that. It's
almost like it was pre-rusted and soaked in lacquer.

This one did that:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/g...mand/52739-014

Looks like the C4 web site is now limited to "On Demand", I can't
find the interesting background detail they used to have, it is
simply a means to select programmes.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/11/2015 22:05, Andrew Mawson wrote:
Anyone watch the Grand Designs on telly this evening?

Fabulous pad on the Isle of Wight, clad in expensive impregnated timber,
fixed with un galvanised nails so rusty stains running down everywhere
!!!!!

Madness

Its an ecohouse.. designed to fall apart and compost after 20 years.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , polygonum
writes
On 05/11/2015 22:05, Andrew Mawson wrote:
Anyone watch the Grand Designs on telly this evening?

Fabulous pad on the Isle of Wight, clad in expensive impregnated timber,
fixed with un galvanised nails so rusty stains running down everywhere
!!!!!

Madness

Andrew

I even used stainless steel screws on my lowly garden fence.

Essential for any external use of Oak.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
harry writes
On Thursday, 5 November 2015 22:05:29 UTC, Andrew Mawson wrote:
Anyone watch the Grand Designs on telly this evening?

Fabulous pad on the Isle of Wight, clad in expensive impregnated timber,
fixed with un galvanised nails so rusty stains running down everywhere !!!!!

Madness

Andrew

Gone right off Grand Designs. And this follow on program.
It used to be very good,all sorts of DIYers and oddballs.
+Strange projects.

I still watch. Hoping to glean something useful.

Now it's just uninhabitable glass boxes with posturing brain dead architects.
They always run out of money (some bloody architects, can't even cost a
project)'

An architect will always maximise the site potential! I think it may be
an ego issue:-)

A brain dead Kev always does his pessimist thing first.
At the end goes round swooning over some ****ty glass box monstrosity,
that's in dire need of instant demolition.

Formulaic TV. Find out what brings in most viewers and repeat ad
nauseum. The ****ty glass box only works if you overlook 1/2 mile of
open country and the sun never shines.

I always use SS screws outside these days.

Don't try undoing them. They usually break off at the weak point behind
the head.

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Does seem daft when galvanised nails are pretty cheap.

What will happen is exactly what is happening to my cheapo fence, bits are
dropping off as the nails rust through.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message
Anyone watch the Grand Designs on telly this evening?

Fabulous pad on the Isle of Wight, clad in expensive impregnated timber,
fixed with un galvanised nails so rusty stains running down everywhere
!!!!!

Madness

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
On 05/11/15 22:12, Jonno wrote:
Andrew Mawson scribbled

Anyone watch the Grand Designs on telly this evening?

Fabulous pad on the Isle of Wight, clad in expensive impregnated
timber,
fixed with un galvanised nails so rusty stains running down
everywhere !!!!!

Madness

Character innit.

There's some building coming into London on the Hastings line that's
"clad" in rusty expanded metal. It it's made to look like that. It's
almost like it was pre-rusted and soaked in lacquer.

Grand designs featured this sort of finish a week or two ago.
Apparently the special steel is produced to surface rust only and then
stop. I'm just low on faith, if it hasn't stood there for a century then
I'll let someone else use it!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
In message ,
harry writes
[...]

Or are so soft that the heads strip. I find the roundhead ones
much harder and have yet to break one.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Capitol wrote:

Apparently the special steel is produced to surface rust only and then
stop. I'm just low on faith, if it hasn't stood there for a century then
I'll let someone else use it!

If shipping containers are made of corten steel, why are they all painted?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 6 November 2015 08:58:53 UTC, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message ,
harry writes
[...]

I find they break off at the begining of the thread. And they break/bend quite easily.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 6 November 2015 10:41:55 UTC, Capitol wrote:
Tim Lamb wrote:
In message ,
harry writes
[...]

Yes I've had that.
You need a completely unworn screwdriver bit to avoid it.
And lean on it hard.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/11/2015 23:22, polygonum wrote:

I even used stainless steel screws on my lowly garden fence.

So did I however The ones I have are a piece of sh&t as the heads snap
off if you try to take them out to re-fix. Then you're left with a
headless stump.
Are all stainless screws this crap or did I just get a screwfix
extra-special crap brand?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/11/2015 15:56, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
On 05/11/2015 23:22, polygonum wrote:

I even used stainless steel screws on my lowly garden fence.

So did I however The ones I have are a piece of sh&t as the heads snap
off if you try to take them out to re-fix. Then you're left with a
headless stump.
Are all stainless screws this crap or did I just get a screwfix
extra-special crap brand?

Mine has been up ten years or so - none has been taken out for refixing.
I used Screwfix cheapos of the day - I only needed small ones for most
of it - don't remember much head snapping.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/11/2015 06:23, harry wrote:

Gone right off Grand Designs. And this follow on program.

I stopped watching it a number of years ago when they simply re-ran the
same builds over and over again occasionally adding 2 minutes on the end
and calling it "grand designs re-visited"

Not to mention the "oh yes we maxed out 25 credit cards and sold our
souls to the devil to complete it. We'll never be able to pay it off and
it's way too qwerky and personal to be sold for anything like the build
cost, not to mention a nervous breakdown, terminal illness and a
on-going divorce and child custody battle because of it I'd sooner kill
myself than do anything like it again but I feel fulfilled and it's just
what I wanted"

To which Kevin says

"It's really quite ugly, and that strange projection makes me shudder,
like architectural nails on a blackboard - It's not attractive but
somehow seems to work for them, which ultimately is all that
matters...... isn't it?"

Yeah thanks a bunch Kevin. Give me gorgeous George any day of the week
(in a perfectly heterosexual way)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/11/15 15:56, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
On 05/11/2015 23:22, polygonum wrote:

I even used stainless steel screws on my lowly garden fence.

So did I however The ones I have are a piece of sh&t as the heads snap
off if you try to take them out to re-fix. Then you're left with a
headless stump.
Are all stainless screws this crap or did I just get a screwfix
extra-special crap brand?

SS screws can snap if done *very* tight - but a decent brand should be
fine - I've used loads.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/11/2015 09:12, Brian-Gaff wrote:
Does seem daft when galvanised nails are pretty cheap.

What will happen is exactly what is happening to my cheapo fence, bits are
dropping off as the nails rust through.
Brian

Around my way a 3 storey block of flats was clad in wooden timber slats
and within a year it had water stained badly. I have noticed since that
around every 3 years they erect scaffold to maintain the cladding.
Possibly a low cost option for the builder but not for the flat owners.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 6 November 2015 10:46:42 UTC, Andy Burns wrote:
Capitol wrote:

Apparently the special steel is produced to surface rust only and then
stop. I'm just low on faith, if it hasn't stood there for a century then
I'll let someone else use it!

If shipping containers are made of corten steel, why are they all painted?

I read (can't remember where, but on t'internet, so it must be true), that painted Corten is unable to form the desired surface, so it loses its corrosion resistance. Someone built a load of railway coeches which rotted under the paint.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Capitol" wrote in message
Tim Watts wrote:
On 05/11/15 22:12, Jonno wrote:
Andrew Mawson scribbled

Anyone watch the Grand Designs on telly this evening?

Fabulous pad on the Isle of Wight, clad in expensive impregnated
timber,
fixed with un galvanised nails so rusty stains running down everywhere
!!!!!

Madness

Character innit.

There's some building coming into London on the Hastings line that's
"clad" in rusty expanded metal. It it's made to look like that. It's
almost like it was pre-rusted and soaked in lacquer.

Grand designs featured this sort of finish a week or two ago.
Apparently the special steel is produced to surface rust only and then
stop. I'm just low on faith, if it hasn't stood there for a century then
I'll let someone else use it!

Its worked fine for more than 50 years now
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weathering_steel

Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 06/11/15 07:39, Tim Watts wrote:

There's some building coming into London on the Hastings line that's
"clad" in rusty expanded metal. It it's made to look like that. It's
almost like it was pre-rusted and soaked in lacquer.

Google: CoreTen Steel

--
DJC
(–€Ì¿Ä¹Ì¯–€Ì¿ Ì¿)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Jackson wrote:

"Capitol" wrote in message
Tim Watts wrote:
On 05/11/15 22:12, Jonno wrote:
Andrew Mawson scribbled

Anyone watch the Grand Designs on telly this evening?

Fabulous pad on the Isle of Wight, clad in expensive impregnated
timber,
fixed with un galvanised nails so rusty stains running down
everywhere !!!!!

Madness

Character innit.

There's some building coming into London on the Hastings line that's
"clad" in rusty expanded metal. It it's made to look like that. It's
almost like it was pre-rusted and soaked in lacquer.

Grand designs featured this sort of finish a week or two ago.
Apparently the special steel is produced to surface rust only and
then stop. I'm just low on faith, if it hasn't stood there for a
century then I'll let someone else use it!

Its worked fine for more than 50 years now
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weathering_steel

Another 50 to go!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/11/2015 22:49, John Jackson wrote:
Its worked fine for more than 50 years now
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weathering_steel

It's worked fine in _most_ places according to that article...

Andy