Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default siting an extractor fan

Hello,

My bathroom does not have an extractor fan, so I would like to fit one
to extract steam and prevent condensation, etc.

Are there any restrictions on where to place it? Does it have to be
three bricks in from the corner or two courses down from the top of
the wall for example, or can it go anywhere? (It will be a standard 4
inch bathroom fan, which I would plan to core drill through the brick
wall).

Thanks,
Stephen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 21 October 2015 12:48:29 UTC+1, Stephen wrote:
Hello,

My bathroom does not have an extractor fan, so I would like to fit one
to extract steam and prevent condensation, etc.

Are there any restrictions on where to place it? Does it have to be
three bricks in from the corner or two courses down from the top of
the wall for example, or can it go anywhere? (It will be a standard 4
inch bathroom fan, which I would plan to core drill through the brick
wall).

Thanks,
Stephen.

Electrical zones apply if mains. Generally the nearer the toilet bowl the better

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Stephen" wrote in message
Hello,

My bathroom does not have an extractor fan, so I would like to fit one
to extract steam and prevent condensation, etc.

Are there any restrictions on where to place it? Does it have to be
three bricks in from the corner or two courses down from the top of
the wall for example, or can it go anywhere? (It will be a standard 4
inch bathroom fan, which I would plan to core drill through the brick
wall).

Ideally in a place so the the air drawn in from the bathroom door (which is
where the replacement air comes in from) will replace all the air ie the
furthest point possible from the door and as high up as possible.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen Wrote in message:
Hello,

My bathroom does not have an extractor fan, so I would like to fit one
to extract steam and prevent condensation, etc.

Are there any restrictions on where to place it? Does it have to be
three bricks in from the corner or two courses down from the top of
the wall for example, or can it go anywhere? (It will be a standard 4
inch bathroom fan, which I would plan to core drill through the brick
wall).

Thanks,
Stephen.

Wherever you site this, would strongly recommend that you don't
buy cheap.
Cheapo £20 shed fans last maybe 2 years in my experience.
There's a good reason why hotels etc fit Xpelair or Ventaxia -
longevity!

Phil
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/10/15 19:40, TheChief wrote:
Stephen Wrote in message:
Hello,

My bathroom does not have an extractor fan, so I would like to fit one
to extract steam and prevent condensation, etc.

Are there any restrictions on where to place it? Does it have to be
three bricks in from the corner or two courses down from the top of
the wall for example, or can it go anywhere? (It will be a standard 4
inch bathroom fan, which I would plan to core drill through the brick
wall).

Thanks,
Stephen.

Wherever you site this, would strongly recommend that you don't
buy cheap.
Cheapo £20 shed fans last maybe 2 years in my experience.
There's a good reason why hotels etc fit Xpelair or Ventaxia -
longevity!

Phil

Solar Palau - an excellent make, from experience...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 21 Oct 2015 19:40:00 +0100 (GMT+01:00), TheChief
wrote:

Cheapo £20 shed fans last maybe 2 years in my experience.
There's a good reason why hotels etc fit Xpelair or Ventaxia -
longevity!

Already looking at vent axia!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/10/2015 12:48, Stephen wrote:
Hello,

My bathroom does not have an extractor fan, so I would like to fit one
to extract steam and prevent condensation, etc.

Are there any restrictions on where to place it? Does it have to be
three bricks in from the corner or two courses down from the top of
the wall for example, or can it go anywhere? (It will be a standard 4
inch bathroom fan, which I would plan to core drill through the brick
wall).

Thanks,
Stephen.

Have you considered an in-line fan fitted in the loft space vented
through the eaves or a roof tile vent? I've fitted one before and found
it much better than the wall mounted fan it replaced. It clears the
steam very quickly and is extremely quiet. Plus all you can see from the
bathroom is a small air valve.

--
Dazza
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, October 21, 2015 at 8:50:09 PM UTC+1, gremlin_95 wrote:
[...]

Be cautious if the proposed outlet faces into the prevailing wind. If so it can burn out quite quickly unless shielded.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 22 Oct 2015 02:40:29 -0700 (PDT), fred wrote:

Be cautious if the proposed outlet faces into the prevailing wind. If so it can burn out quite quickly unless shielded.

My through-the-wall fan is on the SW wall so I used one of these beasties:
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p50375
Perhaps a bit big and obvious for some places but in this case it's on the
side of the house and ~25m from the road.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

PeterC wrote:

My through-the-wall fan is on the SW wall so I used one of these beasties:
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p50375
Perhaps a bit big and obvious for some places but in this case it's on the
side of the house and ~25m from the road.

I put one of those over the exit grille from my kitchen
extractor. It is on a west facing gable end, and has helped a lot
to keep out the prevailing winds.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 22 Oct 2015 18:27:31 +0100, Chris J Dixon wrote:

PeterC wrote:

My through-the-wall fan is on the SW wall so I used one of these beasties:
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p50375
Perhaps a bit big and obvious for some places but in this case it's on the
side of the house and ~25m from the road.

I put one of those over the exit grille from my kitchen
extractor. It is on a west facing gable end, and has helped a lot
to keep out the prevailing winds.

Chris

BTW, there's still some rattling of the antibackdraught shutter even with
the cover. I'm wondering if a length of brush-type door seal would kill the
turbulence. Some time, when ICBA to get the ladder round there, I'll try it.
That's where the stainless PK screws come in handy.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Refrigerator siting outside ransley Home Repair 14 January 8th 10 07:54 PM
Flue siting PM UK diy 15 September 23rd 06 08:34 PM
re-siting gas meter :\) UK diy 5 February 22nd 06 11:07 AM
LPG Boiler vent and extractor fan siting query Ken Adam UK diy 1 November 24th 05 09:07 PM
choosing and siting bathroom extractor fan chris French UK diy 4 September 8th 03 05:15 PM