Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default outside lighting

Hello,

With it getting darker earlier, I'm thinking again about outside
lighting. I did ask before about LED floodlights but went off the idea
because they seemed too blue in colour.

I remember someone here saying that rather than have a PIR-controlled
bright light, it was better to have a dim dawn-to-dusk light. I am
thinking about that. I don't want to add to light pollution but I
think a dim light sufficient to see where I am treading and to see the
keyhole would be enough.

The only problem with that is that I think I would like a brighter
light for when I want to do more than see where I am going. Unless I
use a dimmer, I would have to have two light fittings. I suppose that
would not look excessive, but I was hoping to just use one.

I have seen hi-lo lights that are normally dim and go bright when the
PIR is activated but these use incandescent bulbs so I imagine it is
expensive to have these on every night from dawn to dusk.

Are CFL or LED hi-los available and are they any good?

My experience with a PIR, light sensor, and lamp all in one unit is
that it is always a bit of a compromise.

What material is best for an outside light? Brass would be too
expensive and would stainless steel look too industrial? I have had
painted aluminium lamps in the past but after a couple of years the
aluminium has started to corrode. To be fair these were just cheap
lamps from the like of Toolstation; perhaps I should buy a dearer make
for more longevity?

I see you can get polycarbonate which would not corrode but does it
look too plasticy?

Interestingly most outside lights use ES bulbs. Why is this? I know it
would allow international sales of the same model but the same
argument would apply to indoor lights, yet they make ES ones for
abroad and BC ones for the UK?

Thanks,
Stephen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 21 October 2015 12:29:08 UTC+1, Stephen wrote:
Hello,

With it getting darker earlier, I'm thinking again about outside
lighting. I did ask before about LED floodlights but went off the idea
because they seemed too blue in colour.

I remember someone here saying that rather than have a PIR-controlled
bright light, it was better to have a dim dawn-to-dusk light. I am
thinking about that. I don't want to add to light pollution but I
think a dim light sufficient to see where I am treading and to see the
keyhole would be enough.

The only problem with that is that I think I would like a brighter
light for when I want to do more than see where I am going.

Now put it on a PIR and eliminate most of the run cost

Unless I
use a dimmer, I would have to have two light fittings. I suppose that
would not look excessive, but I was hoping to just use one.

I have seen hi-lo lights that are normally dim and go bright when the
PIR is activated but these use incandescent bulbs so I imagine it is
expensive to have these on every night from dawn to dusk.

excessively
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Dimmed_PIR_Lights

Are CFL or LED hi-los available and are they any good?

My experience with a PIR, light sensor, and lamp all in one unit is
that it is always a bit of a compromise.

What material is best for an outside light? Brass would be too
expensive and would stainless steel look too industrial? I have had
painted aluminium lamps in the past but after a couple of years the
aluminium has started to corrode. To be fair these were just cheap
lamps from the like of Toolstation; perhaps I should buy a dearer make
for more longevity?

I see you can get polycarbonate which would not corrode but does it
look too plasticy?

no

Interestingly most outside lights use ES bulbs. Why is this? I know it
would allow international sales of the same model but the same
argument would apply to indoor lights, yet they make ES ones for
abroad and BC ones for the UK?

Thanks,
Stephen.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 21 Oct 2015 04:59:09 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

excessively
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Dimmed_PIR_Lights

Thanks. I did not want to use filament bulbs for this reason. If a
hilo cfl existed, I would try that. I was hoping that being on from
dusk till dawn should give it time to warm up and avoid any of the
problems caused by cfls in cold temperatures.

I presume just as dimmable cfls need special dimmers, you can't just
put a cfl bulb into a hilo light sold for filament bulbs?

Thanks,
Stephen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 28 October 2015 14:33:38 UTC, Stephen wrote:
On Wed, 21 Oct 2015 04:59:09 -0700 (PDT), nt wrote:

excessively
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Dimmed_PIR_Lights

Thanks. I did not want to use filament bulbs for this reason. If a
hilo cfl existed, I would try that. I was hoping that being on from
dusk till dawn should give it time to warm up and avoid any of the
problems caused by cfls in cold temperatures.

I presume just as dimmable cfls need special dimmers, you can't just
put a cfl bulb into a hilo light sold for filament bulbs?

Thanks,
Stephen.

CFLs object to attempts to dim. LEDs work well in hi-lo mode, but filament compatible controllers tend not to work with them.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hello,

With it getting darker earlier, I'm thinking again about outside
lighting. I did ask before about LED floodlights but went off the idea
because they seemed too blue in colour.
What material is best for an outside light? Brass would be too
expensive and would stainless steel look too industrial? I have had
painted aluminium lamps in the past but after a couple of years the
aluminium has started to corrode. To be fair these were just cheap
lamps from the like of Toolstation; perhaps I should buy a dearer make
for more longevity?

I see you can get polycarbonate which would not corrode but does it
look too plasticy?

I have an Aldi, painted aluminium, Quartz halogen, 300w floodlight that's
been on our back wall for 10 years and its showing no sign of corrosion. My
favourites though are the two ex MOD "airfield lights" I have wired via a
PIR covering the drive and parking area. Although I only have 32w quartz
halogen bulbs in them the reflectors are so good they give as good a light
as the 300w flood.

Airfield light.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/t601o6t88z...32.14.jpg?dl=0

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Stephen wrote:
With it getting darker earlier, I'm thinking again about outside
lighting. I did ask before about LED floodlights but went off the idea
because they seemed too blue in colour.

Does that really much matter for outside lighting?

I've recently replaced 300w halogen outside flood lights as they were
falling apart.

Got 30w LEDs from Lidl at approx 25 quid each. Nicely made.

They ain't as bright as the halogen, and 'cooler'. Subjectively, looking
out of the window at them when it's dark, I'd say the colour looks like
dusk on a cloudy day. So not unpleasant.

--
*Sticks and stones may break my bones but whips and chains excite me*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Stephen wrote:
With it getting darker earlier, I'm thinking again about outside
lighting. I did ask before about LED floodlights but went off the idea
because they seemed too blue in colour.

Does that really much matter for outside lighting?

Well the OP could fit a warm white LED floodlight if it matters that much.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen wrote:
With it getting darker earlier, I'm thinking again about outside
lighting. I did ask before about LED floodlights but went off the idea
because they seemed too blue in colour.

Does that really much matter for outside lighting?

Well the OP could fit a warm white LED floodlight if it matters that
much.

I've not really looked, but is there the same choice for fittings with non
replaceable LEDs as with domestic LEDs?

--
*Why are a wise man and a wise guy opposites?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
Stephen wrote:
With it getting darker earlier, I'm thinking again about outside
lighting. I did ask before about LED floodlights but went off the idea
because they seemed too blue in colour.

Does that really much matter for outside lighting?

Well the OP could fit a warm white LED floodlight if it matters that
much.

I've not really looked, but is there the same choice for fittings with non
replaceable LEDs as with domestic LEDs?

You can certainly get some LED floodlights with different colour temps.
A quick glance at a CPC flyer next to suggest some are about 4000K,
others about 6000K
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Stephen wrote:
With it getting darker earlier, I'm thinking again about outside
lighting. I did ask before about LED floodlights but went off the idea
because they seemed too blue in colour.

Does that really much matter for outside lighting?

Well the OP could fit a warm white LED floodlight if it matters that
much.

I've not really looked, but is there the same choice for fittings with non
replaceable LEDs as with domestic LEDs?

Unfortunately not - but they are available. I do not know if it is just
marketing or just because people believe that colder coloured LEDs are
brighter than the warm colours or a mixture of both.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARW wrote:
I've not really looked, but is there the same choice for fittings with non
replaceable LEDs as with domestic LEDs?

Unfortunately not - but they are available. I do not know if it is just
marketing or just because people believe that colder coloured LEDs are
brighter than the warm colours or a mixture of both.

Generally, they're right. 'Cool' LEDs are - or were - more efficient than
warm. If you go back to the early days of LEDs, white was more blue than
white. And when warm arrived it was a bilious shade of green.

--
*(over a sketch of the titanic) "The boat sank - get over it

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen wrote:
With it getting darker earlier, I'm thinking again about outside
lighting. I did ask before about LED floodlights but went off the idea
because they seemed too blue in colour.

Does that really much matter for outside lighting?

Well the OP could fit a warm white LED floodlight if it matters that
much.

I've not really looked, but is there the same choice for fittings with non
replaceable LEDs as with domestic LEDs?

Unfortunately not - but they are available. I do not know if it is just
marketing or just because people believe that colder coloured LEDs are
brighter than the warm colours or a mixture of both.

Believe or perceive? I've tried 3W 320lm lamps at 4100K and 4W 400lm lamps
at 2700K in the same fitting in the same room (the lamps have very similar
spread) and the 'cooler' ones just seem to be better. The room is 'warm'
decoration.
Conversely, in a 'cool' room the 'warmer' lamps seem to be better.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen wrote:

With it getting darker earlier, I'm thinking again about outside
lighting. I did ask before about LED floodlights but went off the idea
because they seemed too blue in colour.

Does that really much matter for outside lighting?

Well the OP could fit a warm white LED floodlight if it matters that
much.

I've not really looked, but is there the same choice for fittings with non
replaceable LEDs as with domestic LEDs?

The fixtures designed for LEDs tend to have proper heatsinking and
bespoke built in LED arrays bonded to it. Seem to be available in warm
white, blue white and these days colour changing varieties.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
I've not really looked, but is there the same choice for fittings with
non replaceable LEDs as with domestic LEDs?

The fixtures designed for LEDs tend to have proper heatsinking and
bespoke built in LED arrays bonded to it. Seem to be available in warm
white, blue white and these days colour changing varieties.

The 30 watt LED floods I got from Lidl have a separate power supply inside
the connection box. Similar to a ballast for a florry or whatever.

Much more sanitary way of doing things than building it in to the bulb.

--
*Why doesn't glue stick to the inside of the bottle?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 21 Oct 2015 13:45:11 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

They ain't as bright as the halogen, and 'cooler'. Subjectively, looking
out of the window at them when it's dark, I'd say the colour looks like
dusk on a cloudy day. So not unpleasant.

That's not so bad then. I was afraid they would be very blue.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

They ain't as bright as the halogen, and 'cooler'. Subjectively, looking
out of the window at them when it's dark, I'd say the colour looks like
dusk on a cloudy day. So not unpleasant.

That's not so bad then. I was afraid they would be very blue.

Not really. Other comparison might be moonlight. But rather brighter. So
OK to me.

--
*Remember, no-one is listening until you fart.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/10/2015 12:29, Stephen wrote:
Hello,

With it getting darker earlier, I'm thinking again about outside
lighting. I did ask before about LED floodlights but went off the idea
because they seemed too blue in colour.

LED come in various colour temperatures BUT you are fitting it outside
and not in your living room. I perceive that my cold white/blueish LED
floodlights of 10 and 20W cut through the gloom/mist a lot better than
the warmer halogens that I've had in the past.

I have seen hi-lo lights that are normally dim and go bright when the
PIR is activated but these use incandescent bulbs so I imagine it is
expensive to have these on every night from dawn to dusk.

I'm sure that I've seen the hi/lo type with LEDs. Possibly is one of
the CPC glossy pamphlets.

Interestingly most outside lights use ES bulbs. Why is this? I know it
would allow international sales of the same model but the same
argument would apply to indoor lights, yet they make ES ones for
abroad and BC ones for the UK?

Most LEDs are bolted directly to the metal housing which acts as a
heat-sink.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 21 Oct 2015 20:13:28 +0100, alan_m
wrote:

LED come in various colour temperatures BUT you are fitting it outside
and not in your living room. I perceive that my cold white/blueish LED
floodlights of 10 and 20W cut through the gloom/mist a lot better than
the warmer halogens that I've had in the past.

Wouldn't that be the other way around? After all fog lights are red to
go through fog rather than blue?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote:

LED come in various colour temperatures BUT you are fitting it outside
and not in your living room. I perceive that my cold white/blueish LED
floodlights of 10 and 20W cut through the gloom/mist a lot better than
the warmer halogens that I've had in the past.

Wouldn't that be the other way around? After all fog lights are red to
go through fog rather than blue?

Front fog lights are not red!

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Most LEDs are bolted directly to the metal housing which acts as a
heat-sink.

I was thinking more about filament/cfl/led builbs in traditional
design: GLS?