Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default "Gorilla screws"?

Talking to somebody over the weekend, "Gorilla screws" were mentioned -
basically, self-tapping masonry screws. Just drill the hole, and bang 'em
in, no need for a rawlplug.

'course, I can't now find anything about 'em online - and they sound
ideal for a job I need to get started on.

Anybody got any kind of pointer?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

These are probably the same thing.

http://www.screwfix.com/c/screws-nai...rews/cat840054

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 19 Oct 2015 01:57:47 -0700, Tricky Dicky wrote:

These are probably the same thing.

http://www.screwfix.com/c/screws-nai...rews/cat840054

They'd be happy into block walls, sans plugs? How much load would you
trust 'em with?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I got some masonry hex. head screws from my local fencing supplier to bolt down some post sockets to a concrete drive and I got to say they are solid. I do think that they are a tighten up once device though and will not stand up to too much screwing and unscrewing although although I managed a little adjustment owing to packing the sockets out to compensate for a slope in the drive. Hex head are best as you can use a socket to drive them if you need the countersink use the torx type if you buy them by the box they often give you the right driver.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adrian wrote:
On Mon, 19 Oct 2015 01:57:47 -0700, Tricky Dicky wrote:

These are probably the same thing.

http://www.screwfix.com/c/screws-nai...rews/cat840054

They'd be happy into block walls, sans plugs? How much load would you
trust 'em with?

Beauty with a plug is the screw can be removed and replaced. I doubt it
applies to these?

What job would make it impossible to use plugs?

--
*A bartender is just a pharmacist with a limited inventory *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/10/2015 09:59, Adrian wrote:
On Mon, 19 Oct 2015 01:57:47 -0700, Tricky Dicky wrote:

These are probably the same thing.

http://www.screwfix.com/c/screws-nai...rews/cat840054

They'd be happy into block walls, sans plugs? How much load would you
trust 'em with?

I've used these, but with pilot holes. They are a sort of poor man's
Multi Monti.

There's no doubt you can make very secure fixings with steel objects
banged straight into concrete, but you need a Hilti Gun to do it.
Personally, I would have little faith in something which you bang in by
hand using a hammer. Traditional masonry nails work OK on some
materials, but I havn't used them for many years given the convenience
of cordless hammer drills, and the more or less guaranteed performance
of frame fixings or screwed fixings with or without plastic plugs.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Newshound I think you are thinking of something else, the linked screws do require a pilot hole but certainly do not need to be hammered in they screw in without any hammering. When my mother had uPVC windows fitted they fixed into the brickwork with masonry screws and the brickwork at her place is hard but the fitter easily drove them in with a battery drill.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
Adrian wrote:
On Mon, 19 Oct 2015 01:57:47 -0700, Tricky Dicky wrote:

These are probably the same thing.

http://www.screwfix.com/c/screws-nai...rews/cat840054

They'd be happy into block walls, sans plugs? How much load would you
trust 'em with?

Beauty with a plug is the screw can be removed and replaced. I doubt it
applies to these?

What job would make it impossible to use plugs?

Probably not many. But these speed up installation and time is money,
it's someone else's problem after the job is signed off............

--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tricky Dicky" wrote in message
These are probably the same thing.

http://www.screwfix.com/c/screws-nai...rews/cat840054

None of those are self tapping in masonry.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well if Gorillas did not screw, they would soon be extinct I say...
:-)

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
"Tricky Dicky" wrote in message
These are probably the same thing.

http://www.screwfix.com/c/screws-nai...rews/cat840054

Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 19 Oct 2015 10:35:37 +0100, Brian-Gaff wrote:

Well if Gorillas did not screw, they would soon be extinct I say...
:-)

groan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 19 Oct 2015 10:12:52 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

What job would make it impossible to use plugs?

Not "impossible". Just "easier".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, October 19, 2015 at 9:59:16 AM UTC+1, Adrian wrote:
On Mon, 19 Oct 2015 01:57:47 -0700, Tricky Dicky wrote:

These are probably the same thing.

http://www.screwfix.com/c/screws-nai...rews/cat840054

They'd be happy into block walls, sans plugs? How much load would you
trust 'em with?

Very little to none.

Obviously it depends on the blocks, but I found that if the block was soft enough to screw them into, it couldn't hold them.

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 19 Oct 2015 02:42:40 -0700, jones_michael_groups wrote:

They'd be happy into block walls, sans plugs? How much load would you
trust 'em with?

Very little to none.

Obviously it depends on the blocks, but I found that if the block was
soft enough to screw them into, it couldn't hold them.

Ta. I think my mind's settled on it. Plugs it is.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/10/2015 10:21, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Newshound I think you are thinking of something else, the linked screws do require a pilot hole but certainly do not need to be hammered in they screw in without any hammering. When my mother had uPVC windows fitted they fixed into the brickwork with masonry screws and the brickwork at her place is hard but the fitter easily drove them in with a battery drill.

Richard

Sorry, yes, I know these need screwing. I didn't make my point well, I
was just trying to say that these are *not* the "hammer straight in" ones.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/10/15 10:35, Brian-Gaff wrote:
Well if Gorillas did not screw, they would soon be extinct I say...

LoL

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:
On Mon, 19 Oct 2015 01:57:47 -0700, Tricky Dicky wrote:

These are probably the same thing.

http://www.screwfix.com/c/screws-nai...rews/cat840054

They'd be happy into block walls, sans plugs? How much load would you
trust 'em with?

Beauty with a plug is the screw can be removed and replaced. I doubt it
applies to these?

What job would make it impossible to use plugs?

Probably not many. But these speed up installation and time is money,
it's someone else's problem after the job is signed off............

Yes indeed, screws straight into brickwork are used extensively by
window and door fitters because they are so quick.

It true that you can't get them out very easily - but in the "old" days
wooden door and window frames were held in by bl**dy great nails which
were also pretty difficult to remove!
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 19 Oct 2015 10:12:52 +0100 Dave Plowman (News) wrote :
My daughter has decided she needs to replace the existing (unreliable
and ancient) gas boiler in her big Victorian semi. It's a big house
on three (or even four) floors and there are around 20 radiators, two
showers (one electric) and two baths plus all the usual other hot
water consumers like kitchen, washbasins, etc.

She is considering a combi but knows that a few years ago at least it
probably wouldn't be recommended for such a large house, are modern
combis more up to the job or would it still make more sense to go for
a system with a hot water tank?

Also, what are currently regarded as 'good makes' of boiler?

Depends on the budget, but when a similarly sized house next to my home
in Twickenham was refurbed they put in three ordinary boilers, one for
each floor. Makes zoning easy, servicing and parts should be easier and
if one boiler fails there's still heating in part.

Melbourne, Australia www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/10/2015 09:47, Adrian wrote:
Talking to somebody over the weekend, "Gorilla screws" were mentioned -
basically, self-tapping masonry screws. Just drill the hole, and bang 'em
in, no need for a rawlplug.

'course, I can't now find anything about 'em online - and they sound
ideal for a job I need to get started on.

Anybody got any kind of pointer?

Be warned they need an exact size drill .. which are usually pretty
expensive.
Been used by uPVC windows trade for decades.

They other 'similar' bang it in approach are frame fixings ... depends
what you are fixing.

If you need it to take a decent load then use Thunder Bolts ..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adrian wrote:
On Mon, 19 Oct 2015 01:57:47 -0700, Tricky Dicky wrote:

These are probably the same thing.

http://www.screwfix.com/c/screws-nai...rews/cat840054

They'd be happy into block walls, sans plugs? How much load would you
trust 'em with?

Beauty with a plug is the screw can be removed and replaced. I doubt it
applies to these?

What job would make it impossible to use plugs?

Multi Monti can be removed and replaced (but I wouldn't want to do it
many times). Where they come into their own is if you need a solid
fixing relatively close to the edge of brickwork. You can certainly
apply them closer than you could safely using plugs.