Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Plastering question(s)

You've mixed some plaster, set about applying it, you've covered about
60% of a wall, it's getting late,

Do you mix some more or finish it tomorrow?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/10/15 22:14, R D S wrote:
You've mixed some plaster, set about applying it, you've covered about
60% of a wall, it's getting late,

Do you mix some more or finish it tomorrow?

I think you'll have to put and edging strip in and finish to that - then
do the other 40% from the strip on tomorrow.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 Oct 2015 22:17:57 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

On 12/10/15 22:14, R D S wrote:
You've mixed some plaster, set about applying it, you've covered about
60% of a wall, it's getting late,

Do you mix some more or finish it tomorrow?

I think you'll have to put and edging strip in and finish to that - then
do the other 40% from the strip on tomorrow.

Quote;
"it's OK if the seam is a bit rough, I have a big sander"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/10/15 22:14, R D S wrote:
You've mixed some plaster, set about applying it, you've covered about
60% of a wall, it's getting late,

Do you mix some more or finish it tomorrow?

I think you'll have to put and edging strip in and finish to that - then
do the other 40% from the strip on tomorrow.

Quote;
"it's OK if the seam is a bit rough, I have a big sander"

You can seamlessly bond plaster "joints" together by use of PVA,
Leave the finshed edge tapered.
Later, when recommencing, wet down the taper area with PVA and water 50/50 mix.
Mix some plaster up with 50/50 mix for where the joint is.
You can "feather" the edge right down to nothing no problem with the PVA/water/plaster mix. Or even less PVA, you have to experiment.
There is a cheap grade of PVA sold specially for this and similar purposes. (No good as wood glues)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Try to avoid machine sanding of plasterwork it creates a helluva lot of dust.

Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 13 October 2015 08:03:15 UTC+1, harry wrote:
There is a cheap grade of PVA sold specially for this and similar purposes.
(No good as wood glues)

I'd hope it's at least slightly good as wood glue. I've used an awful lot of it to hold my bedroom floor down and my door frames up.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 Oct 2015 21:14:03 +0000, R D S wrote:

You've mixed some plaster, set about applying it, you've covered about
60% of a wall, it's getting late,

Do you mix some more or finish it tomorrow?

You're a better man than I. I'd have completed about 10% then ****ed off
down the pub.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/10/15 18:52, Julian Barnes wrote:
On Mon, 12 Oct 2015 21:14:03 +0000, R D S wrote:

You've mixed some plaster, set about applying it, you've covered about
60% of a wall, it's getting late,

Do you mix some more or finish it tomorrow?

You're a better man than I. I'd have completed about 10% then ****ed off
down the pub.

I'd have chosen a room with smaller walls.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:
You've mixed some plaster, set about applying it, you've covered about
60% of a wall, it's getting late,

Do you mix some more or finish it tomorrow?

I'm skimming a friend's hallway. I do a bucketfull, wash everything up,
tidy up and go away for about a month....

I'm a busy person!! :-)

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"R D S" wrote in message
You've mixed some plaster, set about applying it, you've covered about
60% of a wall, it's getting late,

Do you mix some more or finish it tomorrow?

Bad management.

You don't start it unless you have the time, materials and skills to finish
it in a reasonable time.
This isn't to say non pro's shouldn't try it, but get everything ready very
early, then check again that everything is ready before starting to mix.
I've seen people put a big mix on, then spend half an hour in the shed
looking for dustsheets, then 20 minutes looking for stepladders, then they
can't find a decent trowel so they start putting it on with a spoon, by
which time it resembles playdoh, then they realise the wall hasn't been
scraped properly and there's lumps of wallpaper / paint / nails everywhere
so they give up.

Plastering, like everything else, is easy if you follow a few basic rules.

Mixing is the last thing you do once *everything* else regarding preparation
has been done.

Don't start anything until you've got *every* tool and other equipment in
place and ready to go, this includes scaffold and cleaning up equipment.

Don't start anything unless you've got enough time and materials to finish

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 13 Oct 2015 20:56:14 +0100, Phil L wrote:

"R D S" wrote in message
You've mixed some plaster, set about applying it, you've covered about
60% of a wall, it's getting late,

Do you mix some more or finish it tomorrow?

Bad management.

snipped and noted if I ever decide to have a go myself

Cheers Phil.

I have someone in doing it, admittedly he has a dayjob and is doing it in
spare time but applying at approx one bag per day and has yet to finish a
wall in one go.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"R D S" wrote in message

snipped and noted if I ever decide to have a go myself

Cheers Phil.

I have someone in doing it, admittedly he has a dayjob and is doing it in
spare time but applying at approx one bag per day and has yet to finish a
wall in one go.

I hope he's not charging you for it!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 Oct 2015 16:51:06 +0100, Phil L wrote:

"R D S" wrote in message

snipped and noted if I ever decide to have a go myself

Cheers Phil.

I have someone in doing it, admittedly he has a dayjob and is doing it
in spare time but applying at approx one bag per day and has yet to
finish a wall in one go.

I hope he's not charging you for it!

Sadly I am paying him.

That said he hasn't yet finished the job, was coming to finish tomorrow
but when I called him earlier he was in A&E with 'plaster burns'.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"R D S" wrote in message

snipped and noted if I ever decide to have a go myself

Cheers Phil.

I have someone in doing it, admittedly he has a dayjob and is doing it
in spare time but applying at approx one bag per day and has yet to
finish a wall in one go.

I hope he's not charging you for it!

Sadly I am paying him.

That said he hasn't yet finished the job, was coming to finish tomorrow
but when I called him earlier he was in A&E with 'plaster burns'.

I started a plastering job yesterday, 3 bedrooms and a hall/stairs/landing
(walls only).

Since yesterday morning I have finished the master bedroom (inc corner beads
around window and another external corner), done 3 walls in the medium sized
bedroom and one wall in the box room.

This included PVA'ing and scraping everything beforehand, loosening sockets
and switches to plaster behind and removing two (unfilled yet) radiators to
plaster behind.

Monday I will have all 3 bedrooms completed and the rest of the job prepped
ready for Tuesday.
I may get it finished but they want me to skim the kitchen ceiling as an
extra so it will probably stretch to Wed.

Never heard of 'plaster burns' in 35 years, maybe he's got it in his eyes?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"R D S" wrote in message

snipped and noted if I ever decide to have a go myself

Cheers Phil.

I have someone in doing it, admittedly he has a dayjob and is doing it
in spare time but applying at approx one bag per day and has yet to
finish a wall in one go.

I hope he's not charging you for it!

Sadly I am paying him.

That said he hasn't yet finished the job, was coming to finish tomorrow
but when I called him earlier he was in A&E with 'plaster burns'.

If you haven't developed builder's leather skin, you need one of:
Barrier cream, or
Plastic Gloves, or
enough skill not to get it all over yourself.

When washing your hands whilst plastering, use only water, as
soaps/detergents also wash away the oils which provide your skin
with some basic protection.

If you do get cracked skin (but not bad enough to go to A&E), rinse
clean with water, gently dry, and rub pure vaselene into your skin.
It's knuckles which seem to get it first.

It's a lot easier to avoid getting preventable skin conditions in
the first place than it is to get rid of them afterwards. Some
people can develop sensitivity or a permanent allergy to
lime/plaster/cement products on repeated exposure.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
Don't start anything until you've got *every* tool and other equipment in
place and ready to go, this includes scaffold and cleaning up equipment.
Don't start anything unless you've got enough time and materials to finish

That time has to include cleaning afterwards. It's hugely easier to wash
damp plsater off your tools at the end of the job than it is to chisel it
off before starting the next job.

Also, be prepared to be happy to mix too much plaster and throw away the
unused in the bottom of your bucket. Don't be tempted to try and use it
to start the first few inches of the next job. It takes a bit of practice
to get the quantity right to do a job with minimal waste.

jgh

Plastering question Gib Bogle[_3_] UK diy 10 September 17th 11 08:04 AM
PVA and plastering question. Uncle-C UK diy 10 November 7th 09 10:47 PM
Plastering Question Cyberdog UK diy 7 February 25th 07 12:39 AM
plastering question mikee Home Repair 1 February 22nd 07 04:20 AM
Plastering Question Cyberdog UK diy 12 February 9th 07 04:27 PM