Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Matching AC mains adapter to motor?

Asking for a non-internet compliant acquaintance of my mum...

The friend's apparently bought an electrically powered recliner chair, but
missing its PSU. Not sure where from, but the vendor has provided an
internet printout of the following unit and assured them that it's the
correct one:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121759864926
However, I gather the motor on the chair is labelled "24V" and they are
worried that the ebay item is rated 29V.

I don't know enough electrickery to be sure, but (all other things being
equal) I think it should be OK in principal, shouldn't it? I note that all
similar listings for such PSUs for recliner chairs also seem to be 29V.

Mother (who is on the net) has been co-opted into making the purchase, and
has enquired of me...

Thanks!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 11 October 2015 20:39:57 UTC+1, Lobster wrote:
Asking for a non-internet compliant acquaintance of my mum...

The friend's apparently bought an electrically powered recliner chair, but
missing its PSU. Not sure where from, but the vendor has provided an
internet printout of the following unit and assured them that it's the
correct one:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121759864926
However, I gather the motor on the chair is labelled "24V" and they are
worried that the ebay item is rated 29V.

I don't know enough electrickery to be sure, but (all other things being
equal) I think it should be OK in principal, shouldn't it? I note that all
similar listings for such PSUs for recliner chairs also seem to be 29V.

Mother (who is on the net) has been co-opted into making the purchase, and
has enquired of me...

Thanks!

Non-continuous motors aren't critical re voltage.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 11 Oct 2015 19:34:32 +0000, Lobster wrote:

[...]

The extra 5v would add a little more torque to the motor, but that's
probably all. In theory the motor would run hotter, but it doesn't run
for very long so you'd almost certainly be ok with it. The main thing in
this case is that the replacement power supply has a current rating
either the same or higher than the original unit.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

With all electricity sources, the voltage varies when in use.
ie as the load rises, the voltage falls.
So in use the voltage will likely be 24 volts.
You also need to check that it can supply sufficient current (amps) to meet that of the motor(s).
How ever many will be in use at once.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Another thing to watch is the electrical connections.
Also don't see any mention of the input voltage?
Should be 230 volts AC.
A lot of stuff is 120 volts, definitely not suitable.
(Intended for US market)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well, its not much and one could suggest it will drop under load in any
case. the main thing is can it take the current involved.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
"Lobster" wrote in message
. 236...
Asking for a non-internet compliant acquaintance of my mum...

The friend's apparently bought an electrically powered recliner chair, but
missing its PSU. Not sure where from, but the vendor has provided an
internet printout of the following unit and assured them that it's the
correct one:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121759864926
However, I gather the motor on the chair is labelled "24V" and they are
worried that the ebay item is rated 29V.

I don't know enough electrickery to be sure, but (all other things being
equal) I think it should be OK in principal, shouldn't it? I note that
all
similar listings for such PSUs for recliner chairs also seem to be 29V.

Mother (who is on the net) has been co-opted into making the purchase, and
has enquired of me...

Thanks!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message
[...]

But with most of those external power packs,
the labelled voltage is usually about what it
actually delivers in use and the voltage measured
when not actually driving the motor is higher.

You also need to check that it can supply sufficient current (amps) to
meet that of the motor(s).
How ever many will be in use at once.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message
[...]

Looks like it's a switch mode power supply and those
are mostly 100-240V input or something like that.