Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

Default Apollo oil tank level gauge, move receiver?

My new oil tank (1100 litre Harlequin ITE) is fitted with an Apollo
wireless level gauge. According to the instruction sheet which the
installer gave me after setting it all up, the receiver should stay in
the socket originally plugged into, but can be moved as long as one is
patient and waits for an hour for the receiver to pick up the
transmitter from its new location. I haven't decided yet where I'd
like to position the receiver. It has to be within 200m of the tank
transmitter.

Anyone had any experience of these Apollo units and how reliable they
are long term?

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"MM" wrote in message
My new oil tank (1100 litre Harlequin ITE) is fitted with an Apollo
wireless level gauge. According to the instruction sheet which the
installer gave me after setting it all up, the receiver should stay in
the socket originally plugged into, but can be moved as long as one is
patient and waits for an hour for the receiver to pick up the
transmitter from its new location. I haven't decided yet where I'd
like to position the receiver. It has to be within 200m of the tank
transmitter.

It makes no difference as long as it is signal range. The only reason that
they are suggesting you do not move the receiver is in case you move it to a
socket that is out of signal range - that would make you liable for a call
out charge if the installer is called back because the receiver is no longer
working.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 11 Oct 2015 12:25:04 +0100, ARW wrote:

It has to be within 200m of the tank transmitter.

It makes no difference as long as it is signal range.

And that 200 m is almost certainly clear line of sight, bung a wall
or three in the way and you could be lucky to get 10 m ...

The long wait on moving the receiver is because it has no back-up and
the transmitter doesn't transmit very often to conserve battery. Our
Oil Watchman takes around 15 mins to aquire a reading.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Sun, 11 Oct 2015 13:24:36 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Sun, 11 Oct 2015 12:25:04 +0100, ARW wrote:

It has to be within 200m of the tank transmitter.

It makes no difference as long as it is signal range.

And that 200 m is almost certainly clear line of sight, bung a wall
or three in the way and you could be lucky to get 10 m ...

The long wait on moving the receiver is because it has no back-up and
the transmitter doesn't transmit very often to conserve battery. Our
Oil Watchman takes around 15 mins to aquire a reading.

Yeah, it does say "line of sight" in the instruction sheet. But 200m
is a l o n g way. My German radio-controlled alarm clock gets its
signal from somewhere in Germany.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote:

On Sun, 11 Oct 2015 12:25:04 +0100, ARW wrote:

It has to be within 200m of the tank transmitter.

It makes no difference as long as it is signal range.

And that 200 m is almost certainly clear line of sight, bung a wall
or three in the way and you could be lucky to get 10 m ...

The long wait on moving the receiver is because it has no back-up and
the transmitter doesn't transmit very often to conserve battery. Our
Oil Watchman takes around 15 mins to aquire a reading.

Yeah, it does say "line of sight" in the instruction sheet. But 200m
is a l o n g way. My German radio-controlled alarm clock gets its
signal from somewhere in Germany.

Does it receive German radio station broadcasts?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Sun, 11 Oct 2015 12:25:04 +0100, ARW wrote:

It has to be within 200m of the tank transmitter.

It makes no difference as long as it is signal range.

And that 200 m is almost certainly clear line of sight, bung a wall
or three in the way and you could be lucky to get 10 m ...

The long wait on moving the receiver is because it has no back-up and
the transmitter doesn't transmit very often to conserve battery. Our
Oil Watchman takes around 15 mins to aquire a reading.

Yeah, it does say "line of sight" in the instruction sheet. But 200m
is a l o n g way. My German radio-controlled alarm clock gets its
signal from somewhere in Germany.

Comparing the German DCF77 time signal with your wireless tank gauge is
like comparing your TV signal with red light. Well almost!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Sun, 11 Oct 2015 12:25:04 +0100, ARW wrote:

It has to be within 200m of the tank transmitter.

It makes no difference as long as it is signal range.

And that 200 m is almost certainly clear line of sight, bung a wall
or three in the way and you could be lucky to get 10 m ...

The long wait on moving the receiver is because it has no back-up and
the transmitter doesn't transmit very often to conserve battery. Our
Oil Watchman takes around 15 mins to aquire a reading.

Yeah, it does say "line of sight" in the instruction sheet. But 200m
is a l o n g way. My German radio-controlled alarm clock gets its
signal from somewhere in Germany.

Does it receive German radio station broadcasts?

I've got one that does and the one our village hall does too.

--
Please note new email address:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/10/2015 13:56, MM wrote:

Yeah, it does say "line of sight" in the instruction sheet. But 200m
is a l o n g way. My German radio-controlled alarm clock gets its
signal from somewhere in Germany.

A sky dish gets its signal from over 20 thousand miles away. I think
200m isn't that far...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/10/2015 13:56, MM wrote:

Yeah, it does say "line of sight" in the instruction sheet. But 200m
is a l o n g way. My German radio-controlled alarm clock gets its
signal from somewhere in Germany.

Apples and Oranges. If the transmitter in your tank transmitted at 30 to
50KW and at the same frequency I'm sure that you could receive it at the
same distance you are from Germany. I'm not sure that you would want
the electricity bill or the broadcasting charges. You probably wouldn't
want all the readings from all the tanks within a couple of a hundred
miles radius fitted with the same type of transmitter.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Sun, 11 Oct 2015 12:25:04 +0100, ARW wrote:

It has to be within 200m of the tank transmitter.

It makes no difference as long as it is signal range.

And that 200 m is almost certainly clear line of sight, bung a wall
or three in the way and you could be lucky to get 10 m ...

The long wait on moving the receiver is because it has no back-up and
the transmitter doesn't transmit very often to conserve battery. Our
Oil Watchman takes around 15 mins to aquire a reading.

Yeah, it does say "line of sight" in the instruction sheet. But 200m
is a l o n g way. My German radio-controlled alarm clock gets its
signal from somewhere in Germany.

The power used by the transmitter is just a tad higher tho.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Clive George" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 11/10/2015 13:56, MM wrote:

Yeah, it does say "line of sight" in the instruction sheet. But 200m
is a l o n g way. My German radio-controlled alarm clock gets its
signal from somewhere in Germany.

A sky dish gets its signal from over 20 thousand miles away. I think 200m
isn't that far...

Best send MMs oil level transmitter up into the Clarke Belt then.

I cannot think of anywhere else to send it.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/10/2015 19:02, Clive George wrote:
On 11/10/2015 13:56, MM wrote:

Yeah, it does say "line of sight" in the instruction sheet. But 200m
is a l o n g way. My German radio-controlled alarm clock gets its
signal from somewhere in Germany.

A sky dish gets its signal from over 20 thousand miles away. I think
200m isn't that far...

Try putting a concrete wall between the Sky dish and satellite.

MM's wireless signal has a fighting chance of going through at least one
course of bricks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Sun, 11 Oct 2015 13:58:58 +0100, "ARW"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

On Sun, 11 Oct 2015 12:25:04 +0100, ARW wrote:

It has to be within 200m of the tank transmitter.

It makes no difference as long as it is signal range.

And that 200 m is almost certainly clear line of sight, bung a wall
or three in the way and you could be lucky to get 10 m ...

The long wait on moving the receiver is because it has no back-up and
the transmitter doesn't transmit very often to conserve battery. Our
Oil Watchman takes around 15 mins to aquire a reading.

Yeah, it does say "line of sight" in the instruction sheet. But 200m
is a l o n g way. My German radio-controlled alarm clock gets its
signal from somewhere in Germany.

Does it receive German radio station broadcasts?

It's a clock, not a radio.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Sun, 11 Oct 2015 19:02:26 +0100, Clive George
wrote:

On 11/10/2015 13:56, MM wrote:

Yeah, it does say "line of sight" in the instruction sheet. But 200m
is a l o n g way. My German radio-controlled alarm clock gets its
signal from somewhere in Germany.

A sky dish gets its signal from over 20 thousand miles away. I think
200m isn't that far...

Well, given that the tank is less than 15m from the house, I'd say
200m is like having the tank three doors down the road.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Mon, 12 Oct 2015 05:59:39 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

On Sun, 11 Oct 2015 12:25:04 +0100, ARW wrote:

It has to be within 200m of the tank transmitter.

It makes no difference as long as it is signal range.

And that 200 m is almost certainly clear line of sight, bung a wall
or three in the way and you could be lucky to get 10 m ...

The long wait on moving the receiver is because it has no back-up and
the transmitter doesn't transmit very often to conserve battery. Our
Oil Watchman takes around 15 mins to aquire a reading.

Yeah, it does say "line of sight" in the instruction sheet. But 200m
is a l o n g way. My German radio-controlled alarm clock gets its
signal from somewhere in Germany.

The power used by the transmitter is just a tad higher tho.

Can't be all that high. It only has a coin battery that has an
expected life of about 8 years.

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Sun, 11 Oct 2015 19:52:01 +0100, alan_m
wrote:

On 11/10/2015 13:56, MM wrote:

Yeah, it does say "line of sight" in the instruction sheet. But 200m
is a l o n g way. My German radio-controlled alarm clock gets its
signal from somewhere in Germany.

Apples and Oranges. If the transmitter in your tank transmitted at 30 to
50KW and at the same frequency I'm sure that you could receive it at the
same distance you are from Germany. I'm not sure that you would want
the electricity bill or the broadcasting charges. You probably wouldn't
want all the readings from all the tanks within a couple of a hundred
miles radius fitted with the same type of transmitter.

That couldn't happen. The sender and receiver are paired.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/10/2015 13:56, MM wrote:

Yeah, it does say "line of sight" in the instruction sheet. But 200m
is a l o n g way. My German radio-controlled alarm clock gets its
signal from somewhere in Germany.

A sky dish gets its signal from over 20 thousand miles away.

And uses a transmitter than its just a tad bigger than is in his oil tank.

I think 200m isn't that far...

It is for something like that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"MM" wrote in message
On Sun, 11 Oct 2015 13:58:58 +0100, "ARW"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

On Sun, 11 Oct 2015 12:25:04 +0100, ARW wrote:

It has to be within 200m of the tank transmitter.

It makes no difference as long as it is signal range.

And that 200 m is almost certainly clear line of sight, bung a wall
or three in the way and you could be lucky to get 10 m ...

The long wait on moving the receiver is because it has no back-up and
the transmitter doesn't transmit very often to conserve battery. Our
Oil Watchman takes around 15 mins to aquire a reading.

Yeah, it does say "line of sight" in the instruction sheet. But 200m
is a l o n g way. My German radio-controlled alarm clock gets its
signal from somewhere in Germany.

Does it receive German radio station broadcasts?

It's a clock, not a radio.

Can it tell you what time to refill your oil tank?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"MM" wrote in message
On Mon, 12 Oct 2015 05:59:39 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

On Sun, 11 Oct 2015 12:25:04 +0100, ARW wrote:

It has to be within 200m of the tank transmitter.

It makes no difference as long as it is signal range.

And that 200 m is almost certainly clear line of sight, bung a wall
or three in the way and you could be lucky to get 10 m ...

The long wait on moving the receiver is because it has no back-up and
the transmitter doesn't transmit very often to conserve battery. Our
Oil Watchman takes around 15 mins to aquire a reading.

Yeah, it does say "line of sight" in the instruction sheet. But 200m
is a l o n g way. My German radio-controlled alarm clock gets its
signal from somewhere in Germany.

The power used by the transmitter is just a tad higher tho.

Can't be all that high.

It is anyway.

It only has a coin battery that has an expected life of about 8 years.

The time transmitter in Germany uses a bit more than a coin battery to
power it and it wouldn't last anything like 8 years if they did use one of
those.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Sun, 11 Oct 2015 22:56:21 +0100, "ARW"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

On Sun, 11 Oct 2015 12:25:04 +0100, ARW wrote:

It has to be within 200m of the tank transmitter.

It makes no difference as long as it is signal range.

And that 200 m is almost certainly clear line of sight, bung a wall
or three in the way and you could be lucky to get 10 m ...

The long wait on moving the receiver is because it has no back-up and
the transmitter doesn't transmit very often to conserve battery. Our
Oil Watchman takes around 15 mins to aquire a reading.

Yeah, it does say "line of sight" in the instruction sheet. But 200m
is a l o n g way. My German radio-controlled alarm clock gets its
signal from somewhere in Germany.

Does it receive German radio station broadcasts?

It's a clock, not a radio.

Can it tell you what time to refill your oil tank?

Don't be silly. That is what the Apollo is for. Do keep up!

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

No ****, Sherlock.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Bunny says: Windows 10? Nein danke!
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"MM" wrote in message
On Sun, 11 Oct 2015 22:56:21 +0100, "ARW"
wrote:

"MM" wrote in message
. ..
On Sun, 11 Oct 2015 13:58:58 +0100, "ARW"
wrote:

m...
wrote:

On Sun, 11 Oct 2015 12:25:04 +0100, ARW wrote:

It has to be within 200m of the tank transmitter.

It makes no difference as long as it is signal range.

And that 200 m is almost certainly clear line of sight, bung a wall
or three in the way and you could be lucky to get 10 m ...

The long wait on moving the receiver is because it has no back-up and
the transmitter doesn't transmit very often to conserve battery. Our
Oil Watchman takes around 15 mins to aquire a reading.

Yeah, it does say "line of sight" in the instruction sheet. But 200m
is a l o n g way. My German radio-controlled alarm clock gets its
signal from somewhere in Germany.

Does it receive German radio station broadcasts?

It's a clock, not a radio.

Can it tell you what time to refill your oil tank?

Don't be silly. That is what the Apollo is for. Do keep up!

It's not me that is asking stupid questions.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Mon, 12 Oct 2015 20:34:00 +0100, "ARW"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"MM" wrote in message
On Sun, 11 Oct 2015 13:58:58 +0100, "ARW"
wrote:

om...
wrote:

[...]

Oh? What was "Does it receive German radio station broadcasts?"
if not a stupid question asked by you?

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Mon, 12 Oct 2015 23:16:25 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

"MM" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 12 Oct 2015 09:39:41 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

"MM" wrote in message
On Mon, 12 Oct 2015 05:59:39 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

om...
wrote:

On Sun, 11 Oct 2015 12:25:04 +0100, ARW wrote:

It has to be within 200m of the tank transmitter.

It makes no difference as long as it is signal range.

And that 200 m is almost certainly clear line of sight, bung a wall
or three in the way and you could be lucky to get 10 m ...

The long wait on moving the receiver is because it has no back-up and
the transmitter doesn't transmit very often to conserve battery. Our
Oil Watchman takes around 15 mins to aquire a reading.

Yeah, it does say "line of sight" in the instruction sheet. But 200m
is a l o n g way. My German radio-controlled alarm clock gets its
signal from somewhere in Germany.

The power used by the transmitter is just a tad higher tho.

Can't be all that high.

It is anyway.

It cannot be high if the battery lasts up to 10 years

There is no battery powering the entire germany
time transmitter and if there was, it wouldn't last for
anything like 10 years, or even 10 nanoseconds either.

Just forget the radio time signal transmitter in Germany and
concentrate on the actual issue, okay?

(see below).

Completely useless.

What is?

It only has a coin battery that has an expected life of about 8 years.

The time transmitter in Germany uses a bit more than a coin battery to
power it and it wouldn't last anything like 8 years if they did use one of
those.

reams of your complete irrelevancy flushed where it belongs

You seem to be avoiding the issue since I published the actual spec!

I.e. Ten years expected life from the coin battery in the tank sender.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"MM" wrote in message
On Mon, 12 Oct 2015 23:16:25 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

"MM" wrote in message
. ..
On Mon, 12 Oct 2015 09:39:41 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

m...
wrote:

news:uvmk1bp2i9n6rog7944e7umhotds37q7vq@4ax. com...
wrote:

[...]

Not OK, it was what I was commenting on.

(see below).

Completely useless.

What is?

That **** of yours below.

It only has a coin battery that has an expected life of about 8 years.

The time transmitter in Germany uses a bit more
than a coin battery to power it and it wouldn't last
anything like 8 years if they did use one of those.

reams of your complete irrelevancy flushed where it belongs

You seem to be avoiding the issue

Then you need to get your seems machinery seen to, BAD.

since I published the actual spec!

Its completely irrelevant.

I.e. Ten years expected life from the coin battery in the tank sender.

Pity the German time transmitter wouldn't last even a nanosecond
when you tried to power it from that coin battery.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

wrote:

[...]

What has German radio got to do with a oil tank in Lincolnshire

**** all.

It's you that is asking stupid question as always unable to understand
simple things.