Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gas like smell

Hi we have been living in our bungalow since March and never had any problems with smells but after being away for ten days we can home and there was a really bad gas like smell in the little hallway and in the bathroom that leads off the hall way although it wasn't in the lounge and bedroom next to this hall. It went away after two hours we had a knock from a gas man today as our neigh our had also reported a gas smell in their kitchen he checked their home and metres etc. And then checked ours but found no leak. Wen my husband went to put our suitcase in the attic he opened the loft hatch and the same gas smell hit him again from the loft. So we again called the gas board and a different man came he checked the loft with a machine but nothing registered although he cud smell something. He checked the boiler and metre again and still registered clear. He said he was certain there was no leaks . We are still very concerned as we have children as to what this odour is if not a gas leak . Can something else cause this gas like smell ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stink horn mushrooms can give off a gas like smell look for a phallic like growth in any undergrowth under hedges and trees. The smell attracts flies which help to spread their spores, if you have any do not handle them otherwise you will stink from it but dig the testicle like root out and dispose in a sealed plastic bag.

Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, October 10, 2015 at 9:56:00 PM UTC+1, wrote:
[...]

We had a gas smell, and after lots of investigation (e.g. some floorboards up), I found that the builder had hammered a pipe, which must have been a bit proud, so that they could plaster over it. Over time, the plaster had corroded the copper. I mention this because we twice had someone from the gas board out, and they didn't detect a leak. I think it's because a very small leak 'passes the test', as it were, but whatever they put in it (ethyl or methyl mercaptan, I think) so that we can still smell it is very detectable by the human nose.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/10/2015 01:05, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Stink horn mushrooms can give off a gas like smell look for a phallic like growth in any undergrowth under hedges and trees. The smell attracts flies which help to spread their spores, if you have any do not handle them otherwise you will stink from it but dig the testicle like root out and dispose in a sealed plastic bag.

Richard

Mushrooms do not have roots!

They only stink for a short time - a few days. They seem especially
partial to appearing under holly bushes/trees.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'd go for the sewer gas first. Often due to a build up of organic gunge
somewhere and it comes up in any drain nearby, ewhich makes me wonder if
this house has one of those pipes that sticks up above the roof and its
coming in somehow that way.

The issue of build up of gass to an explosive mix depends on whether the
leak and the drain from where its going are sufficiently different to let it
gradually increase, then switch on a light or a thermostat goes over etc,
and kerboom, like the old tin trick we did at school.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
"Scott M" wrote in message

We are still very concerned as we have children
as to what this odour is if not a gas leak . Can something else cause
this gas like smell ?

Sewer gas smells? If there's an internal soil stack terminator (damned if
I can think of the right name) in the loft it could be playing up and not
sealing properly.

Otherwise probably is a mains gas leak but of such small amount that it
takes a long time to build up enough to be noticeable. And is then easily
wafted away when you open a door/loft hatch etc. While it wants to be
sorted, I don't think these normally build up to a dangerous level.

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
.. .
In article , Phil L
wrote:

I had a very slow leak a few weks ago and did this, it was using just less
than a square foot of gas each day ...

A square foot of gas, eh? Like it, like it.

A cubic foot of gas.

Try actually contributing something to the group instead of wandering in and
out of threads trying to make clever comments and showing yourself up to be
a stupid old ****

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 11/10/2015 16:50, Phil L wrote:
"Tim wrote in message
.. .
In , Phil L
wrote:

I had a very slow leak a few weks ago and did this, it was using just less
than a square foot of gas each day ...

A square foot of gas, eh? Like it, like it.

A cubic foot of gas.

Try actually contributing something to the group instead of wandering in and
out of threads trying to make clever comments and showing yourself up to be
a stupid old ****

I had similar on an old style boiler (not combi) 24 years ago, the
boiler / house was new. Every time I went in to the airing cupboard
where it was located I got that gassy smell, I got it checked
out..nothing. On 3 or 4 ocassions over the years I had plumbers/gas
fitters for various reasons, all said I can smell gas in that cupboard,
we must check it and if leaking shut it down, none could find any cause.
Eventually after 20 years the boiler was replaced by a combi (relocated)
and the smell disappeared.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ss" wrote in message
On 11/10/2015 16:50, Phil L wrote:
"Tim wrote in message
.. .
In , Phil L
wrote:

[...]

As a contractor I could smell what I thought was gas in the kitchens of a
very large hotel. It gave me a screaming headache.
I mentioned it to the owner who produced a bit of paper saying that the
place had been checked for gas leaks - no leaks had been detected.
The bit of paper was bull****, it was gas.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

"ss" wrote in message
On 11/10/2015 16:50, Phil L wrote:
"Tim wrote in message
.. .
In , Phil L
wrote:

[...]

Gas is SMELLY. It seems to take very little of it for our noses to detect
it.

Our pipe work passes a pressure drop test but eventually a smell of gas in
a cupboard below our gas hob was isolated to a compression joint that was
only finger tight.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/10/2015 19:51, Tim+ wrote:

Gas is SMELLY.

Natural gas is odourless.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/10/2015 20:18, alan_m wrote:
On 11/10/2015 19:51, Tim+ wrote:

Gas is SMELLY.

Natural gas is odourless.

Odour is added to it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bod" wrote in message
On 11/10/2015 20:18, alan_m wrote:
On 11/10/2015 19:51, Tim+ wrote:

Gas is SMELLY.

Natural gas is odourless.

Odour is added to it.

He did not seem to know that.
FFS

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim+" wrote in message
Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

"ss" wrote in message
On 11/10/2015 16:50, Phil L wrote:
"Tim wrote in message
.. .
In , Phil L
wrote:

[...]

Finger tight.
A while ago I helped out with a total renovation of a bungalow.
I pulled out the old Baxi boiler behind the gas fire out of the chimney
breast.
One connection was only finger tight. It had not been leaking in over 40
years.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"Bod" wrote in message
On 11/10/2015 20:18, alan_m wrote:
On 11/10/2015 19:51, Tim+ wrote:

Gas is SMELLY.

Natural gas is odourless.

Odour is added to it.

tert-Butylthiol (aka t-butyl mercaptan), says Wikipedia. Mercaptans are
generally offensively smelly - rotten eggs or dog**** smell. Apparently it
has an odour threshold of 0.33 parts per *billion* which I imagine is why
it is chosen: the human nose can detect exceptionally small concentrations
of it.

Reminds me of when I was working in a chemistry lab during my year off. We
used a solvent that smelled exactly like vomit - I imagine it is one of the
constituents of vomit. When the big boss was showing some VIPs round the
lab, someone "accidentally" took the cap of the bottle out of the fume
cupboard for a few seconds just before the VIPs arrived, and they all turned
green and the boss hastily cut short that part of the visit :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 11 Oct 2015 20:45:45 +0100, "NY" wrote:

Reminds me of when I was working in a chemistry lab during my year off. We
used a solvent that smelled exactly like vomit - I imagine it is one of the
constituents of vomit.

There used to be a floor polish used on commercial floors that left a
stink like that. Used to wonder how on earth they sold any , they
probably only sold one container to anyone who tried it but being
commercial use it would be a 25 Litre drum.

G.Harman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

NY wrote:

tert-Butylthiol (aka t-butyl mercaptan), says Wikipedia. Mercaptans are
generally offensively smelly - rotten eggs or dog**** smell. Apparently
it has an odour threshold of 0.33 parts per *billion* which I imagine
is why it is chosen: the human nose can detect exceptionally small
concentrations of it.

They broke a container of it in (or near) Southampton about 10 years ago
and it could be smelt across the entire city.

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/10/2015 01:05, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Stink horn mushrooms can give off a gas like smell

It's more a corpse-like smell, which to me is nothing like gas. Equally
unpleasant though.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 11 Oct 2015 21:15:38 +0100, Scott M wrote:

NY wrote:

tert-Butylthiol (aka t-butyl mercaptan), says Wikipedia. Mercaptans are
generally offensively smelly - rotten eggs or dog**** smell

They broke a container of it in (or near) Southampton about 10 years ago
and it could be smelt across the entire city.

Residents are used to nasty niffs with a refinery and chemical complex
on one side, Portsmouth on the other and France not that far over the
Water.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote:
On 11/10/2015 19:51, Tim+ wrote:

Gas is SMELLY.

Natural gas is odourless.

Ah, another ******y pedant.

In the context (try and remember that), of domestic gas, it is SMELLY.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim+ wrote:
alan_m wrote:
On 11/10/2015 19:51, Tim+ wrote:

Gas is SMELLY.

Natural gas is odourless.

Ah, another ******y pedant.

In the context (try and remember that), of domestic gas, it is SMELLY.

The smell is added - for safety reasons.

--
Please note new email address:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles wrote:
In article ,
Tim+ wrote:
alan_m wrote:
On 11/10/2015 19:51, Tim+ wrote:

Gas is SMELLY.

Natural gas is odourless.

Ah, another ******y pedant.

In the context (try and remember that), of domestic gas, it is SMELLY.

The smell is added - for safety reasons.

Your point being?

I don't recall saying that domestic gas is naturally smelly, only that it
IS smelly.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/10/2015 21:27, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 11/10/2015 01:05, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Stink horn mushrooms can give off a gas like smell

It's more a corpse-like smell, which to me is nothing like gas. Equally
unpleasant though.

Andy

Definitely not a scent to be applied delicately to one's person.

What does smell like gas is: "Tricholoma sulphureum, the Sulphur Knight,
used to be referred to as the Gas Works Mushroom because of its strong
pungent odour."

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/10/15 21:53, Tim+ wrote:
alan_m wrote:
On 11/10/2015 19:51, Tim+ wrote:

Gas is SMELLY.

Natural gas is odourless.

Ah, another ******y pedant.

In the context (try and remember that), of domestic gas, it is SMELLY.

And natural gas is also often smelly too.

Its not pure methane/butane/propane when it comes out of the ground

But it's given a standard smell anyway.

Tim

--
Global warming is the new Margaret Thatcher. There is no ill in the
world it's not directly responsible for.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 10 October 2015 21:56:00 UTC+1, wrote:
Hi we have been living in our bungalow since March and never had any problems with smells

A few a couple of months ago, I noticed what I thought was a sewage/gas smell
when I walked past the colleges main building, I mentioned this to one of our H&S peole who told me it ws the flowers they planted on the front area of the college. He didn't know what they were but others had noticed the stink too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 11/10/15 20:45, NY wrote:

Reminds me of when I was working in a chemistry lab during my year off.
We used a solvent that smelled exactly like vomit - I imagine it is one
of the constituents of vomit. When the big boss was showing some VIPs
round the lab, someone "accidentally" took the cap of the bottle out of
the fume cupboard for a few seconds just before the VIPs arrived, and
they all turned green and the boss hastily cut short that part of the
visit :-)

Which reminds me of the offensive vomit smell that whiffed every time I
opened my toolbox. Took everything out, washed it inside and out, left
it to dry in fresh air: still smelled next time I opened it. Repeated
the clean out several times to no avail. Eventually I identified the
plastic handle of a screwdriver as the culprit: it seems to be in the
plastic, nothing will remove it and the smell accumulates in a confined
space, so that's one screwdriver has to be kept out of boxes.
It was (and is) a useful tool that I bought because it was ideal for
adjusting ski bindings, but I now know why it was in the bargain bin in
Migros.

--
DJC
(–€Ì¿Ä¹Ì¯–€Ì¿ Ì¿)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 12/10/15 13:24, whisky-dave wrote:
On Saturday, 10 October 2015 21:56:00 UTC+1, wrote:
Hi we have been living in our bungalow since March and never had any problems with smells

A few a couple of months ago, I noticed what I thought was a sewage/gas smell
when I walked past the colleges main building, I mentioned this to one of our H&S peole who told me it ws the flowers they planted on the front area of the college. He didn't know what they were but others had noticed the stink too.

Ginko tree? There is one just in the entrance to University College that
smells like vomit at this time of year.

--
DJC
(–€Ì¿Ä¹Ì¯–€Ì¿ Ì¿)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 12 October 2015 16:05:14 UTC+1, DJC wrote:
On 12/10/15 13:24, whisky-dave wrote:
On Saturday, 10 October 2015 21:56:00 UTC+1, wrote:
Hi we have been living in our bungalow since March and never had any problems with smells

A few a couple of months ago, I noticed what I thought was a sewage/gas smell
when I walked past the colleges main building, I mentioned this to one of our H&S peole who told me it ws the flowers they planted on the front area of the college. He didn't know what they were but others had noticed the stink too.

Ginko tree? There is one just in the entrance to University College that
smells like vomit at this time of year.

Could be, I wonder if anyone here (qmul) knows, or should I blame the students,
they have their uses. Maybe it's to please the chinese.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Hi we have been living in our bungalow since March and never had any
problems with smells

A few a couple of months ago, I noticed what I thought was a
sewage/gas smell
when I walked past the colleges main building, I mentioned this to one
of our H&S peole who told me it ws the flowers they planted on the
front area of the college. He didn't know what they were but others
had noticed the stink too.

Ginko tree? There is one just in the entrance to University College that
smells like vomit at this time of year.

Many fungi species smell weird - like semen is the species I am thinking
of.

:Lots of fungi in October.

Bad Smell tonkski[_2_] UK diy 9 December 17th 11 10:17 PM
WC Smell John UK diy 4 July 31st 07 08:56 AM
A/C smell m Home Repair 8 June 2nd 07 08:32 PM
Bad smell - what could it be? [email protected] Home Repair 11 September 15th 06 09:23 PM
Gas Smell John UK diy 7 December 14th 05 06:08 PM