Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Maps.me weird happening

I was sitting in a quiet and rather posh cafeteria when my phone dinged
23 times. It had received (or generated?) 23 'notifications' from
maps.me. They appeared to be all the same message but in different
languages. I mentioned this to my son and he'd had the same thing.

Anyone else had this? What goes on?

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

Bill Wright wrote:

Anyone else had this? What goes on?

Perhaps your daughter/wife/w.h.y. have been careless with their address book

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

Andy Burns wrote:
Bill Wright wrote:

Anyone else had this? What goes on?

Perhaps your daughter/wife/w.h.y. have been careless with their address
book

How would that work?

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

Bill Wright wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Perhaps your daughter/wife/w.h.y. have been careless with their address
book

How would that work?

They install some or other app on their phone, the app requests
permission to read their contacts, photos, recent calls, etc, they click
"yes" to accept T&Cs,the author of the app gets your name and phone
number ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

Andy Burns wrote:
Bill Wright wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Perhaps your daughter/wife/w.h.y. have been careless with their address
book

How would that work?

They install some or other app on their phone, the app requests
permission to read their contacts, photos, recent calls, etc, they click
"yes" to accept T&Cs,the author of the app gets your name and phone
number ...

That's all fairly routine isn't it? But why would it cause me to get 23
notifications from maps.me?

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

Bill Wright wrote:

That's all fairly routine isn't it? But why would it cause me to get 23
notifications from maps.me?

They want to increase their userbase, buy a list of numbers from
whoever, intend to spam everyone once, **** up and send one in each
language to everyone on the list ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On 26/09/2015 20:12, Bill Wright wrote:
I was sitting in a quiet and rather posh cafeteria when my phone dinged
23 times. It had received (or generated?) 23 'notifications' from
maps.me. They appeared to be all the same message but in different
languages. I mentioned this to my son and he'd had the same thing.

Anyone else had this? What goes on?

Bill

Yes, something similar happened to me the other day - not on a phone but
on a WiFi-only Android tablet.

I'd only just installed maps.me based on a recommendation from another
NG, and had left WiFi and the GPS turned on when suddenly all these
notifications appeared - including some in foreign languages. I cleared
them and stopped the app - but didn't uninstall it - and thought no more
about it until prompted by your post.

I've just turned it on again, and will see whether the same thing
happens again or whether it was a one-off. If it's a regular occurrence
I shall uninstall the app.

UPDATE: I've just Googled for "maps.me multiple notifications" and it
seems that it's a known bug which has allegedly been fixed in the latest
version. I've just updated ny app, and will wait to see what happens.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

Andy Burns wrote:
Bill Wright wrote:

Anyone else had this? What goes on?
Perhaps your daughter/wife/w.h.y. have been careless with their address
book

How would that work?

Trojan.

This happened to me last week, twice in one day, been ok since
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

Don't know about that, but about three weeks ago a whole raft of texts came
in from Vodaphone all exactly the same offer but with a completly cryptic
number attached as the number to quote if you wanted the offer. On going to
their audio offer thingy number, it seems that a pay as you go number as
mine is cannot use said offer in any case.
I blamed it on the nutter at voda, who probably had had a liquid lunck
that day, and deleted them.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
"Bill Wright" wrote in message
I was sitting in a quiet and rather posh cafeteria when my phone dinged 23
times. It had received (or generated?) 23 'notifications' from maps.me.
They appeared to be all the same message but in different languages. I
mentioned this to my son and he'd had the same thing.

Anyone else had this? What goes on?

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On Sat, 26 Sep 2015 20:12:27 +0100, Bill Wright
wrote:

I was sitting in a quiet and rather posh cafeteria when my phone dinged
23 times. It had received (or generated?) 23 'notifications' from
maps.me. They appeared to be all the same message but in different
languages. I mentioned this to my son and he'd had the same thing.

Anyone else had this? What goes on?

I had it but I have Maps.me installed on my phone. Clearly a glitch
with Maps.me ignoring user settings for language in my case.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

Brian-Gaff wrote:

about three weeks ago a whole raft of texts came
in from Vodaphone

I though Bill was talking about SMS texts, but it seems he was actually
referring to notification messages from the maps.me app on his phone?

all exactly the same offer but with a completly cryptic
number attached as the number to quote if you wanted the offer.

I found a problem with the order from ebay, collect from argos system a
few weeks ago. I ordered a selection of cat5 cables, in various lengths
and colours, a day or two later I was in a dodgy phone signal area, and
when I drove away from the site, I got the text message telling me an
order was ready to collect, then a couple of minutes later I got another
message, and another, I put this down to the mobile network doing
duplicate SMS delivery.

When I went to argos, and quoted the collection number, the chap went
round the back and brought a very small envelope, obviously containing a
single cable, I looked at the phone, gave him the next number, he went
and produced another envelope, I told him I'd ordered about a dozen, but
he could only collect one at a time and I'd not had all the texts.

I went back the next day after receiving the remaining text messages,
for some of the cables, the person bunging them in the envelopes *had*
finally twigged and put two cables per bag, but really what a crap
system ... free delivery!

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

wrote:

I was sitting in a quiet and rather posh cafeteria when my phone dinged
23 times. It had received (or generated?) 23 'notifications' from
maps.me. They appeared to be all the same message but in different
languages

Yes - last week sometime.
Probably after an "update" that is/was buggy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

Andy Burns wrote:
Brian-Gaff wrote:

about three weeks ago a whole raft of texts came
in from Vodaphone

I though Bill was talking about SMS texts, but it seems he was actually
referring to notification messages from the maps.me app on his phone?

Correct. I just assumed they were emails but Mr Carver explained slowly
and patiently that the little things that pop up at the top of the
screen are notifications, whereas the things that appear across the
middle of the screen are emails or WhatsApps or whatever.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, September 26, 2015 at 10:12:36 PM UTC+3, Bill Wright wrote:
I was sitting in a quiet and rather posh cafeteria when my phone dinged
23 times. It had received (or generated?) 23 'notifications' from
maps.me. They appeared to be all the same message but in different
languages. I mentioned this to my son and he'd had the same thing.

Anyone else had this? What goes on?

Bill

Hi Bill, Hi everyone!
We're sorry for all of those notifications in different languages. Of course it was NOT our intention to send you all of these. Unfortunately, our in-built SDK failed somehow (worked without problem before) and as it was not our part of code we didn't manage to stop it in time. MAPS.ME team apologize for this situation and promise it will never happen again.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 2 Oct 2015 07:13:16 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

Quite impressed that a web2.0 company even knows usenet exists!

+1 - amazing...