Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default any reccomendations for a small workshop vacuum cleaner

As asked, we're looking for the above to use for 'sucking' up smallish amounts of wood shavings a bit or light swarf, solder and general workshop and home type stuff.

been using this one for the past 5 years and it's always been pretty crap.

http://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/FC6091_...vacuum-cleaner

I'm thinking of a standard dyson cordless as I'm pretty pleased with it at home, but there could be something better.

We have a proper henry for heavier cleaning but it's not practical to use on benches.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/09/15 12:41, whisky-dave wrote:

As asked, we're looking for the above to use for 'sucking' up smallish amounts of wood shavings a bit or light swarf, solder and general workshop and home type stuff.

been using this one for the past 5 years and it's always been pretty crap.

http://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/FC6091_...vacuum-cleaner

I'm thinking of a standard dyson cordless as I'm pretty pleased with it at home, but there could be something better.

We have a proper henry for heavier cleaning but it's not practical to use on benches.

Old Vax cylinder - will take any amount of abuse.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 22 September 2015 14:54:13 UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:
On 22/09/15 12:41, whisky-dave wrote:

As asked, we're looking for the above to use for 'sucking' up smallish amounts of wood shavings a bit or light swarf, solder and general workshop and home type stuff.

been using this one for the past 5 years and it's always been pretty crap.

http://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/FC6091_...vacuum-cleaner

I'm thinking of a standard dyson cordless as I'm pretty pleased with it at home, but there could be something better.

We have a proper henry for heavier cleaning but it's not practical to use on benches.

Old Vax cylinder - will take any amount of abuse.

Trouble is we have to buy it. Buying SH is virtually impossible, ebay can be a problem, so such things are brought from RS, rapid amazon, cpc etc...

I don't think an old vax cylinder would go on the bench very well which is why I was thinking handheld as I have tyo hand it to the students too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
We have a proper henry for heavier cleaning but it's not practical
to use on benches.

Old Vax cylinder - will take any amount of abuse.

Trouble is we have to buy it. Buying SH is virtually impossible, ebay
can be a problem, so such things are brought from RS, rapid amazon, cpc
etc...

I don't think an old vax cylinder would go on the bench very well which
is why I was thinking handheld as I have tyo hand it to the students too.

A possible problem with a small hand held type is all to easy to walk - if
only to be used elsewhere.

I have a large wet or dry type in the workshop. Fine for clearing the
workbench too. So I'm not quite sure why your Henry isn't ok?

--
*Many hamsters only blink one eye at a time *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 22 September 2015 15:17:20 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:
[...]

If it weren't for your s/h issue I'd recommend a Dustette, sounds like a perfect match for the job. They last forever, I've got one from the 30s.

There might be some good new ones, but if there are I don't know them. All the new ones I've had or used have been crap one way or another.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 22 September 2015 15:38:56 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
We have a proper henry for heavier cleaning but it's not practical
to use on benches.

Old Vax cylinder - will take any amount of abuse.

Trouble is we have to buy it. Buying SH is virtually impossible, ebay
can be a problem, so such things are brought from RS, rapid amazon, cpc
etc...

I don't think an old vax cylinder would go on the bench very well which
is why I was thinking handheld as I have tyo hand it to the students too.

A possible problem with a small hand held type is all to easy to walk - if
only to be used elsewhere.

I have a large wet or dry type in the workshop. Fine for clearing the
workbench too. So I'm not quite sure why your Henry isn't ok?

1/ the Henry doesn't belong to the college it was brought in by a memeber of staff because the department didnt have any form of cleaner for such things.
The memeber oif staff want to take it back home for their own use.

2/ we don't have space to store a large cleaner, and we don't need one.
The one we had was crap but it was OK for cleaning the workbench down and other light work, but still wans;t very good my dyson is easily 5X better.

3/ if it walks it walks. With over 1/4 million quid of equipment in my lab we won't worry about a vacuum cleaner in my locked office.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 22 September 2015 16:20:57 UTC+1, wrote:
On Tuesday, 22 September 2015 15:17:20 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:

If it weren't for your s/h issue I'd recommend a Dustette, sounds like a perfect match for the job. They last forever, I've got one from the 30s.

I have this cute dirt devil.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=di...FtsLcGLerlY%3D

but I'd prefer something cordless, for safety reasons with students.

There might be some good new ones, but if there are I don't know them. All the new ones I've had or used have been crap one way or another.

I've had a D&B cordless again pretty useless but was only 30 quid.

At the moment I'm still looking at dysons as that's what I use and have been happy with them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 22 September 2015 16:40:28 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:
On Tuesday, 22 September 2015 16:20:57 UTC+1, wrote:
On Tuesday, 22 September 2015 15:17:20 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:

If it weren't for your s/h issue I'd recommend a Dustette, sounds like a perfect match for the job. They last forever, I've got one from the 30s.

I have this cute dirt devil.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=di...FtsLcGLerlY%3D

but I'd prefer something cordless, for safety reasons with students.

There might be some good new ones, but if there are I don't know them. All the new ones I've had or used have been crap one way or another.

I've had a D&B cordless again pretty useless but was only 30 quid.

At the moment I'm still looking at dysons as that's what I use and have been happy with them.

Cordless are inherently double crap. First you can't get enough power from the batteries, and 2nd the batteries don't last.

If the issue with used goods is around guarantees, maybe someone could donate a £5 dustette. You might need to add an earth wire in the handle, they tend to be insufficiently earthed. They always need a good bag clean, and unblocking of the area behind the fan. Once these are done you have a hoover that does a fair job and lasts a lifetime.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:

Old Vax cylinder - will take any amount of abuse.

Trouble is we have to buy it. Buying SH is virtually impossible, ebay can be
a problem, so such things are brought from RS, rapid amazon, cpc etc...

I was going to say: car boot sale ... then I realised that
(probably) what you're saying above is that you have to order it
officially, so that the company has a proper audit trail, returns
possibilities etc.

But nonetheless: boot sales often have decent looking vacuum cleaners
which have been thoroughly abused by lazy or ignorant owners (no offence
intended in any direction!), and which can be easily fixed. You can get
such machines for a fiver or a tenner ... which maybe the company will
put through petty cash. And you could end up with (a series of) very
good machines for the job intended.

2p
John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 22 September 2015 17:09:28 UTC+1, Another John wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:

Old Vax cylinder - will take any amount of abuse.

Trouble is we have to buy it. Buying SH is virtually impossible, ebay can be
a problem, so such things are brought from RS, rapid amazon, cpc etc...

I was going to say: car boot sale ... then I realised that
(probably) what you're saying above is that you have to order it
officially, so that the company has a proper audit trail, returns
possibilities etc.

Yes, and that I'm not buying something from a 'friend' or even importing something illegally.

But nonetheless: boot sales often have decent looking vacuum cleaners
which have been thoroughly abused by lazy or ignorant owners (no offence
intended in any direction!),

Why should I give up my time to go find a vacuum cleaner.
Are they goning to give me the time off work.
Which boot sale would you suggest, how many hours would you suggest I allocate to this. Then it has to be electrically tested, so I won;t be able to use it until january.

and which can be easily fixed.

By who, and will they guarantee it.

You can get
such machines for a fiver or a tenner ...

This dependents on who the "you" is.

which maybe the company will
put through petty cash. And you could end up with (a series of) very
good machines for the job intended.

I could be blamed for having crap machines that don't do the job,
so saving money is not my main point.

2p
John

cheers but I need something a little more practical, like a URL
or a model number.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 24 September 2015 10:50:42 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:

snip inability

cheers but I need something a little more practical, like a URL
or a model number.

there are none. Unless you could find a refurbed dustette from an online dealer.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:

I need something a little more practical, like a URL

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/dustette/221891176445

But from your previous posts, the finance dept won't like buying via
eBay, and the PAT person will have kittens about it ... just buy one of
those Bosch battery ones, useful for fighting tigers off too

http://www.bosch-home.co.uk/athlet.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Just make sure that your dressing gown doesn't "accidentally" fall open at
the wrong time. The Dustette has "form". ;-)

https://drmarkgriffiths.wordpress.co...cuum-cleaners/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 24 September 2015 12:06:29 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:
nt wrote:
On Tuesday, 22 September 2015 15:17:20 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:

If it weren't for your s/h issue I'd recommend a Dustette, sounds like a
perfect match for the job. They last forever, I've got one from the 30s.

There might be some good new ones, but if there are I don't know them.
All the new ones I've had or used have been crap one way or another.

Just make sure that your dressing gown doesn't "accidentally" fall open at
the wrong time. The Dustette has "form". ;-)

https://drmarkgriffiths.wordpress.co...cuum-cleaners/

lol, it does indeed. The cast metal fan is too close to the inlet - maybe there are also people doing weird things with other designs of vac out there.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 24 September 2015 11:51:06 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
whisky-dave wrote:

I need something a little more practical, like a URL

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/dustette/221891176445

yeah that's scary.

But from your previous posts, the finance dept won't like buying via
eBay, and the PAT person will have kittens about it ... just buy one of
those Bosch battery ones, useful for fighting tigers off too

http://www.bosch-home.co.uk/athlet.html

yes, we often get problems with tigers in the lab ;-)

looks too floor orientated, and as we have cleaners employed for the floors.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Now that is worrying especailly with students in the lab, I've heard
of accidents where a buzz lightyear was left on a sofa and a man just happened to sit down on buzz while butt naked and buzz ending up where the sun doesn't shine. It also happens with friut and other objects.
It's quite scary you'd have thought the H&S people would insist that every object made should have a suitable warning label on them. :-)

Keep away from arseholes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:
I've had a D&B cordless again pretty useless but was only 30 quid.

At the moment I'm still looking at dysons as that's what I use and have been happy with them.

How big is your bench? Could you do something with a small mains cylinder?
For instance park it under the bench against the wall, permanently switched
on. All that emerges is the mains lead, which is on a switched socket, and
the hose which comes up the back of the bench.

Just turn it on and pull the hose to whichever part of the workbench you
want. Maybe a longer hose would help reach further.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 27 September 2015 23:02:06 UTC+1, Theo Markettos wrote:
whisky-dave wrote:
I've had a D&B cordless again pretty useless but was only 30 quid.

At the moment I'm still looking at dysons as that's what I use and have been happy with them.

How big is your bench?

that's rather personal

But I work in a teaching lab. roughly 60 x 6ft benches. usually in rows of 3.

Could you do something with a small mains cylinder?

that's what worries me, what might a student do with such a thing.

Just turn it on and pull the hose to whichever part of the workbench you
want. Maybe a longer hose would help reach further.

a much longer hose about 100ft should do :-)

Vacuum cleaner Van Chocstraw Home Repair 8 January 19th 09 06:53 PM
Vacuum cleaner Andy & Carol Home Repair 14 November 18th 06 10:52 PM
Vacuum Cleaner- Which is the best?? miele Home Ownership 1 October 17th 06 11:28 PM
Workshop Vacuum Cleaners Hamie UK diy 14 May 11th 05 02:07 AM
Vacuum cleaner for DIY David W.E. Roberts UK diy 24 August 28th 03 11:20 AM