Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Glass kitchen splashback fitting

When we got the new kitchen, the fitters installed a glass splashback
behind the gas hob. All was well for around 3 years and then the glass
cracked into shards (so obviously not toughened) which emanated from a
point at the bottom immediately behind the large wok burner. My
investigations revealed that these splashbacks should be fitted with a
minimum 2mm gap all around to allow for expansion. This installation has
no such gaps. The glass rests on the worktop, is hard up against the
extractor fan and against both side upstands and I believe that this was
the cause of the failure. The fitting company don't want to know.
Everything is black, so I don't want to replace the splashback with a
stainless steel one if at all possible. I have discovered that Screwfix
sell a Hafele black glass splashback which is undersize and so would fit
the existing gap and leave sufficient room for expansion. The fly in the
ointment is that the fitting instructions specify that the splashback
must be at least 150mm from the nearest direct heat source and the edge
of the large burner is currently around 110mm away. So the question. Are
Hafele being overcautious given that the original glass lasted for 3
years without the proper expansion gaps or am I asking for trouble if I
proceed with this?

John M
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Work out the alternatives in costs /hassles/looks and place your bet.

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Miller wrote:

The fly in the
ointment is that the fitting instructions specify that the splashback
must be at least 150mm from the nearest direct heat source and the edge
of the large burner is currently around 110mm away. So the question. Are
Hafele being overcautious given that the original glass lasted for 3
years without the proper expansion gaps or am I asking for trouble if I
proceed with this?

Your question assumes that the only problem is the overall
expansion.

Surely differential expansion and local stresses due to proximity
to the heat source is the real issue.

The item you are considering is, presumably, from a different
manufacturer than your broken one, so your experience may not be
relevant.

OTOH, any competent supplier would ensure that their guidelines
left a margin of safety.

It all comes down to "Do you feel lucky?"

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris J Dixon wrote in
:

John Miller wrote:

[...]

I had mine made by a local glass supplier - along with some window-sills.
Made to size - any RAL colour, toughtned, ground edges - anything I wanted.
http://www.alvastonglass.co.uk/Servi...henSplashbacks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 18 September 2015 00:51:47 UTC+1, John Miller wrote:
When we got the new kitchen, the fitters installed a glass splashback
behind the gas hob. All was well for around 3 years and then the glass
cracked into shards (so obviously not toughened) which emanated from a
point at the bottom immediately behind the large wok burner. My
investigations revealed that these splashbacks should be fitted with a
minimum 2mm gap all around to allow for expansion. This installation has
no such gaps. The glass rests on the worktop, is hard up against the
extractor fan and against both side upstands and I believe that this was
the cause of the failure. The fitting company don't want to know.

In which case I would be drafting a letter before action.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Bonner wrote in
:

On Friday, 18 September 2015 00:51:47 UTC+1, John Miller wrote:
When we got the new kitchen, the fitters installed a glass splashback
behind the gas hob. All was well for around 3 years and then the
glass cracked into shards (so obviously not toughened) which emanated
from a point at the bottom immediately behind the large wok burner.
My investigations revealed that these splashbacks should be fitted
with a minimum 2mm gap all around to allow for expansion. This
installation has no such gaps. The glass rests on the worktop, is
hard up against the extractor fan and against both side upstands and
I believe that this was the cause of the failure. The fitting company
don't want to know.

In which case I would be drafting a letter before action.

I would think that sudden fierce heat from the side of a wok could cause
such uneven heating that if the glass was perfectly fitted it would still
break.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 18 September 2015 16:00:07 UTC+1, DerbyBorn wrote:
Martin Bonner wrote in
:

[...]

In which case the glass the fitters chose wasn't fit for purpose (I *am*
assuming that the fitters chose it, rather than the OP). Heat resistant
glass is available ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/09/2015 13:50, Martin Bonner wrote:
On Friday, 18 September 2015 00:51:47 UTC+1, John Miller wrote:
When we got the new kitchen, the fitters installed a glass splashback
behind the gas hob. All was well for around 3 years and then the glass
cracked into shards (so obviously not toughened) which emanated from a
point at the bottom immediately behind the large wok burner. My
investigations revealed that these splashbacks should be fitted with a
minimum 2mm gap all around to allow for expansion. This installation has
no such gaps. The glass rests on the worktop, is hard up against the
extractor fan and against both side upstands and I believe that this was
the cause of the failure. The fitting company don't want to know.

In which case I would be drafting a letter before action.

I have indeed drafted such a letter but I just wanted to consider
options in case they still refuse to play ball. I'm not sure that I want
to go to the hassle of Small Claims Court, etc.

I asked the question because I've looked on numerous Splashback websites
and none of the others that I can find even specify a distance from the
hob. Screwfix seem to be alone in this. I had hoped there might be some
experienced fitters of these things out there who could give advice
based on practical experience. Thanks anyway to all who replied.

John M