Tony

Default Combi Boiler radiator moving

I have a gloworm swiftflow 100 combi boiler fitted downstairs in kitchen. I
have a downstairs bathroom and want to change / move a radiator but I have
no idea how to drain the system off.

Couple of questions..

Is it just a case of turning of the electric to the boiler at the wall
switch to stop the pump and then draining all of the radiators through the
tap on the lowest radiator with the bleed nipples open, then undoing the
couplings on the radiator and swapping them for the new radiator, then
reversing the process....

if anyone has any tips feel free to post! all diy books i have read only
deal with other boiler types, and plumbers round my neck of teh woods want
an arm and a leg and 6 months waiting!

Cheers

Tony

Alan Darlington

"Tony" wrote in message ...
I have a gloworm swiftflow 100 combi boiler fitted downstairs in kitchen. I
have a downstairs bathroom and want to change / move a radiator but I have
no idea how to drain the system off.

Couple of questions..

Is it just a case of turning of the electric to the boiler at the wall
switch to stop the pump and then draining all of the radiators through the
tap on the lowest radiator with the bleed nipples open, then undoing the
couplings on the radiator and swapping them for the new radiator, then
reversing the process....

if anyone has any tips feel free to post! all diy books i have read only
deal with other boiler types, and plumbers round my neck of teh woods want
an arm and a leg and 6 months waiting!

Cheers

Tony

Hi Tony,

I had a Vaillant combi boiler fitted 18 months ago. Since then I have
moved/replaced several radiators with no problems. As you suggested,
I just switched off the boiler and drained the system. after changing
the radiator I simply filled the system up to normal pressure before
restarting the boiler. I turned it on and off a few times to get rid
of a small amount of air. To save completely draining the system I
usually close the lockshield valves on all the radiators to save
draining them.

Good luck,

Alan
PJO

Basically yes. Switch off and drain as usual. Then re-fill from the filling
loop. You may find that you have to do a little more bleeding than usual but
that's norm. Make sure you fill the system to the correct pressure and keep
an eye on the gauge for a weeks or so and keep re-filling as necessary
because your boiler may have an auto venting system to remove air and that
lower the pressure which can be dangerous.

"Tony" wrote in message
I have a gloworm swiftflow 100 combi boiler fitted downstairs in kitchen.

have a downstairs bathroom and want to change / move a radiator but I

have
no idea how to drain the system off.

Couple of questions..

Is it just a case of turning of the electric to the boiler at the wall
switch to stop the pump and then draining all of the radiators through the
tap on the lowest radiator with the bleed nipples open, then undoing the
couplings on the radiator and swapping them for the new radiator, then
reversing the process....

if anyone has any tips feel free to post! all diy books i have read only
deal with other boiler types, and plumbers round my neck of teh woods want
an arm and a leg and 6 months waiting!

Cheers

Tony

Christian McArdle

all diy books i have read only deal with other boiler types,

Being a combi boiler makes no difference in itself, although it suggests the
installation isn't that ancient, and will probably be a sealed pressurised
system, like most other modern boilers.

Christian.