Default Recommendations - ISPs for ISDN? (sort-of relevant to DIY)

Colin M wrote:

Don't sign up for ISDN this late in the day. How does your exchange look
like on www.adslguide.org.uk?

What that doesn't tell you iif you can have it or not, even if your
exchange is enabled. Our exchange is, but even though its less than a
mile, as the crow files, its 3 miles plus as the cable goes....So over a
mile too far for even the slowest ADSL. Still we do have National
Thieves Limited and their "broad-band" (which isn't really so I'm told)
in the area.

Niel, one of many radio hams whose repeaters had to move following
demands of "commercial rates" by NTL when they took over the
"management" of many transmitter sites in the UK.

Dave

We've given up on getting ADSL so my company is paying for ISDN; now the
family want me to find an unmetered ISP for their use that can offer 128k
ISDN for a reasonable monthly charge - any suggestions?

I also need to get the home network sorted (the DIY relevant bit) so need a
router and WAP. The Vigor 2600W has ISDN and an 802.11b WAP but it's pricey,
can anyone suggest an ISDN router that supports VPN (for the work related
access)?

Dave S

Grunff

Dave wrote:

We've given up on getting ADSL so my company is paying for ISDN; now the
family want me to find an unmetered ISP for their use that can offer 128k
ISDN for a reasonable monthly charge - any suggestions?

IME only one worth considering - Clara
http://www.uk.clara.net/claraaccess/isdn/

I also need to get the home network sorted (the DIY relevant bit) so need a
router and WAP. The Vigor 2600W has ISDN and an 802.11b WAP but it's pricey,
can anyone suggest an ISDN router that supports VPN (for the work related
access)?

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?DLI-632306
+ an access point of your choice.

--
Grunff

Reestit Mutton

Dave wrote:
We've given up on getting ADSL so my company is paying for ISDN; now the
family want me to find an unmetered ISP for their use that can offer 128k
ISDN for a reasonable monthly charge - any suggestions?

I also need to get the home network sorted (the DIY relevant bit) so need a
router and WAP. The Vigor 2600W has ISDN and an 802.11b WAP but it's pricey,
can anyone suggest an ISDN router that supports VPN (for the work related
access)?

Dave S

I have a shed-load of Lucent/Ascend Pipeline 75s still in shrink-wrapped
boxes and I'm wondering what to do with them as not that many people are
interested in ISDN anymore.

http://www.dcmgroup.com/downloads/Pi..._datasheet.pdf

Let me know if you're interested...

RM
--
unlocking Nokia and SonyEricsson phones in the Edinburgh area
email: reestit_mutton AT lauriem DOT plus DOT com

dave cunningham

In message , Grunff wrote

Dave wrote:

We've given up on getting ADSL so my company is paying for ISDN; now the
family want me to find an unmetered ISP for their use that can offer 128k
ISDN for a reasonable monthly charge - any suggestions?

IME only one worth considering - Clara
http://www.uk.clara.net/claraaccess/isdn/

I'd imagine Demon Super Showroom is in the same leage as Clara's
offering. Whether the OP finds either of these to have reasonable
monthly charges is perhaps another matter though.

--
Dave Cunningham dave at upsilon org uk
PGP KEY ID: 0xA78636DC

Grunff

dave cunningham wrote:

I'd imagine Demon Super Showroom is in the same leage as Clara's
offering. Whether the OP finds either of these to have reasonable
monthly charges is perhaps another matter though.

I don't personally use Demon, but know at least 3 different
people who've had connectivity problems over the past year.

They used to be great - I used to use them about 5 years ago.
But I'm not so sure that this is still the case.

--
Grunff

Colin M

Dave

Don't sign up for ISDN this late in the day. How does your exchange look
like on www.adslguide.org.uk?

When BT finally enabled my exchange and the engineer came to hook it all up,
he commented how many ISDN boxes there were lying around in skips these
days.

Comparing ISDN to ADSL, it is worth the wait.

Colin M

Owain

"Grunff" wrote
| Dave wrote:
| We've given up on getting ADSL so my company is paying for ISDN; now
| the family want me to find an unmetered ISP for their use that can
| offer 128k ISDN for a reasonable monthly charge - any suggestions?
| IME only one worth considering - Clara
| http://www.uk.clara.net/claraaccess/isdn/

Clara are generally very good but their news server tends to die or run like
treacle about 9pm weekday evenings.

Owain

Colin M wrote:
Dave

Don't sign up for ISDN this late in the day. How does your exchange look
like on www.adslguide.org.uk?

When BT finally enabled my exchange and the engineer came to hook it all up,
he commented how many ISDN boxes there were lying around in skips these
days.

Comparing ISDN to ADSL, it is worth the wait.

Not if the wait is going to be years which it may be for many people.
Also 128k ISDN with compression is remarkably good subjectively.

There are quite a few ISPs offering 128k ISDN, just do a google search
for "128k ISDN ISP" and you'll find quite a few. I'm in the process
of selecting one at the moment, current front runner is NDO.

Here's a quick list of *some* ISPs that offer 128k ISDN:-

320 hours 64k, 160 hours 128k
-----------------------------
www.cymru1.net 10:1 27.99
www.swiftinter.net 24.50 Direct Debit

250 hours 64k, 125 hours 128k
-----------------------------
www.ndo.com 19.99

200 hours 64k, 100 hours 128k
-----------------------------
www2.fast24.net 7:1 18.00

160 hours 64k, 80 hours 128k
----------------------------
www.4dinternet.co.uk 15:1 18.99
www.aardvarkltd.co.uk 12:1 22.55
www.gcsnet.co.uk 17.99
www.giointernet.com 15:1 19.99 Direct debit (?)
www.iapwired.com 15:1 19.99
www.icuknet.co.uk 15:1 20.00
www.southgrove.com 30:1 19.95
www.surf128.com 15:1 19.99
www.surfmad.com 15:1 18.99
www.wisesurfer.com 15:1 18.99

100 hours 64k, 50 hours 128k
----------------------------
www.anispo.com 12:1 17.95
www.jjtek-online.com 12:1 17.99
www.officelinkit.com 15:1 19.27
www.zx3.net 12:1 24.99

--
Chris Green )
Dave Liquorice

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 19:29:32 +0000 (UTC), Colin M wrote:

Don't sign up for ISDN this late in the day. How does your exchange
look like on www.adslguide.org.uk?

Ours has 25, trigger 300...

I doubt very much it'll rise.

Comparing ISDN to ADSL, it is worth the wait.

Comparing ADSL to wireless community broadband is worth the wait. It's
a bit variable depending on system load but 1Mbps full duplex is the
norm, in the wee small hours I've had 4 to 5Mbps, full duplex of
course.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

David W.E. Roberts

"Dave" wrote in message
We've given up on getting ADSL so my company is paying for ISDN; now the
family want me to find an unmetered ISP for their use that can offer 128k
ISDN for a reasonable monthly charge - any suggestions?

I also need to get the home network sorted (the DIY relevant bit) so need

router and WAP. The Vigor 2600W has ISDN and an 802.11b WAP but it's

pricey,
can anyone suggest an ISDN router that supports VPN (for the work related
access)?

I used http://www.123isp.co.uk/ when I was on ISDN before ADSL arrived.

Generally a helpful bunch, and they seem to offer unlimited connectivity,
but with a 1 or 2 hour cutoff.
This is no big issue because the router will automatically remake the
connection.
Just means that you have to use a download manager which can restart long
downloads.

HTH
Dave R

David

In article , Grunff
writes
dave cunningham wrote:

I'd imagine Demon Super Showroom is in the same leage as Clara's
offering. Whether the OP finds either of these to have reasonable
monthly charges is perhaps another matter though.

I don't personally use Demon, but know at least 3 different
people who've had connectivity problems over the past year.

They used to be great - I used to use them about 5 years ago.
But I'm not so sure that this is still the case.

I don't have any problems with them, I've been with them for about that
time and can't say the service has got any worse.
--
David
David

In article , Colin M
writes
Dave

Don't sign up for ISDN this late in the day. How does your exchange look
like on www.adslguide.org.uk?

When BT finally enabled my exchange and the engineer came to hook it all up,
he commented how many ISDN boxes there were lying around in skips these
days.

Comparing ISDN to ADSL, it is worth the wait.

Oh I don't know, I can change to ISDN for an extra £1.50 /mth to BT and
the demon 128k unlimited access line is the same price as what I'm
paying. Its certainly fast enough for me ATM and trigger levels for ADSL
are still too high for access any time soon in this area.

--
David
Dave

"Reestit Mutton" wrote in message

I have a shed-load of Lucent/Ascend Pipeline 75s still in shrink-wrapped
boxes and I'm wondering what to do with them as not that many people are
interested in ISDN anymore.

http://www.dcmgroup.com/downloads/Pi..._datasheet.pdf

Let me know if you're interested...

RM

Unfortunately it doesn't appear to support VPN and I need this for the "work
breaks".

Dave S

Dave

"dave cunningham" ] wrote in message
I'd imagine Demon Super Showroom is in the same leage as Clara's
offering. Whether the OP finds either of these to have reasonable
monthly charges is perhaps another matter though.

--
Dave Cunningham dave at upsilon org uk
PGP KEY ID: 0xA78636DC

We've used Demon for analogue dial-up for many years, unfortunately they
only offer 64k ISDN with surftime. The 128k offering is £60/month - a bit
too steep for home use.

Dave S

David wrote:
In article , Grunff
writes
dave cunningham wrote:

I'd imagine Demon Super Showroom is in the same leage as Clara's
offering. Whether the OP finds either of these to have reasonable
monthly charges is perhaps another matter though.

I don't personally use Demon, but know at least 3 different
people who've had connectivity problems over the past year.

They used to be great - I used to use them about 5 years ago.
But I'm not so sure that this is still the case.

I don't have any problems with them, I've been with them for about that
time and can't say the service has got any worse.

.... but if you're on SDU it's costing you £11.75/monthi for something
that just about everyone else is offering for free. For that sort of
amount many ISPs will offer you unmetered connectivity.

--
Chris Green )
Dave

"Colin M" wrote in message
Dave

Don't sign up for ISDN this late in the day. How does your exchange look
like on www.adslguide.org.uk?

When BT finally enabled my exchange and the engineer came to hook it all

up,
he commented how many ISDN boxes there were lying around in skips these
days.

Comparing ISDN to ADSL, it is worth the wait.

Colin M

The exchange is enabled but the attenuation of both our lines is too high
(although they won't tell us what the actual figure is!) even for
extended-reach ADSL.
The PowerLine trial doesn't cover our area.
The cable services are too far away.
......AFAIK this only leaves satellite or ISDN and my employer is paying for
the ISDN install.

This all sounds like we live in a remote Welsh valley - we actually live in
a village a couple of miles N of Winchester.

Dave S

Dave

"David" wrote in message
news
In article , Colin M
writes
Dave

Don't sign up for ISDN this late in the day. How does your exchange look
like on www.adslguide.org.uk?

When BT finally enabled my exchange and the engineer came to hook it all

up,
he commented how many ISDN boxes there were lying around in skips these
days.

Comparing ISDN to ADSL, it is worth the wait.

Oh I don't know, I can change to ISDN for an extra £1.50 /mth to BT and
the demon 128k unlimited access line is the same price as what I'm
paying. Its certainly fast enough for me ATM and trigger levels for ADSL
are still too high for access any time soon in this area.

--
David

Demon told me the charge for their unmetered 128k ("showroom"?) offering was
£60/month - have I got this wrong?

Dave S

The Natural Philosopher

Dave wrote:

We've given up on getting ADSL so my company is paying for ISDN; now the
family want me to find an unmetered ISP for their use that can offer 128k
ISDN for a reasonable monthly charge - any suggestions?

I also need to get the home network sorted (the DIY relevant bit) so need a
router and WAP. The Vigor 2600W has ISDN and an 802.11b WAP but it's pricey,
can anyone suggest an ISDN router that supports VPN (for the work related
access)?

What I have here, is a small CISCO router, ISDN business highway (so I
can stll use the phone) and a Demon unlimited access account. Plus BT
anytime.

The whole lot cots me about 1500 quid a year including phone charges.

The router is set up to do NAT, and runs a couple of computers fine.

Ths cisco is a 800 series with 4 ethernet hub built in. Its not the
cheapest option, but it has never missed a beat. I got it because I am
very familiar with Cisco kit.

BT anytime works as advertised.

Demon sucks, always has, always will, but you do get a fixed IP address
which makes getting through other peoples firewalls a bit easier to
manage. I think Pipex also do a unlimited access ISDN service on anytime
numbers.

Transfer rates are about double what I used to get with a modem - about
6k a second if demon is not borked (which it mostly is)

Its advisable not steer clear of Demons popmail service. I have two
Clara Net 'lite' domains+popmail and web services and one other which
cost me about another 30 quid a year each.

If I could find four people withing wifi range who wanted brodaband, I'd
bring in a leased line...and go 2Mbps...:-) But its about 8 k a year to
do that...

Dave S

The Natural Philosopher

Grunff wrote:

Dave wrote:

We've given up on getting ADSL so my company is paying for ISDN; now the
family want me to find an unmetered ISP for their use that can offer 128k
ISDN for a reasonable monthly charge - any suggestions?

IME only one worth considering - Clara
http://www.uk.clara.net/claraaccess/isdn/

Mmm. I am tempted to switch as well. Clara are pretty good, and I know
themn a bit personally.

I also need to get the home network sorted (the DIY relevant bit) so
need a
router and WAP. The Vigor 2600W has ISDN and an 802.11b WAP but it's
pricey,
can anyone suggest an ISDN router that supports VPN (for the work related
access)?

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?DLI-632306
+ an access point of your choice.

The Natural Philosopher

Grunff wrote:

dave cunningham wrote:

I'd imagine Demon Super Showroom is in the same leage as Clara's
offering. Whether the OP finds either of these to have reasonable
monthly charges is perhaps another matter though.

I don't personally use Demon, but know at least 3 different people
who've had connectivity problems over the past year.

They used to be great - I used to use them about 5 years ago. But I'm
not so sure that this is still the case.

They are averagely OK at teh moment. That is mostly you get connected,
most;y the peering links are over stressed during teh working day, and
outagse of 30 seconds or more are not uncommon. I used to play online
games, and have been 'killed' more by demon than by other players. Adds
to the spice.

Demon works, and if you want that fixed IP address its not bad. I am
sure others are better. When I went for them they were the only one
apart from Pipex to have BT anytime numbers, if clara now do, they are
probably a better bet.

I can't rem,ember wheher teh Ascend routers someone was offering do NAT.
You will need a NSAT capable touter IMHO, and built in hub is neater.

The Natural Philosopher

wrote:

Colin M wrote:

Don't sign up for ISDN this late in the day. How does your exchange look
like on
www.adslguide.org.uk?

What that doesn't tell you iif you can have it or not, even if your
exchange is enabled. Our exchange is, but even though its less than a
mile, as the crow files, its 3 miles plus as the cable goes....So over a
mile too far for even the slowest ADSL. Still we do have National
Thieves Limited and their "broad-band" (which isn't really so I'm told)
in the area.

Niel, one of many radio hams whose repeaters had to move following
demands of "commercial rates" by NTL when they took over the
"management" of many transmitter sites in the UK.

Yerrs. And they are still losing money..

NTL broadband is not too bad. Frinds have it.

Dave Liquorice

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 08:23:35 +0000, David wrote:

I don't have any problems with them, I've been with them for about
that time and can't say the service has got any worse.

Demon have had ups and downs but generally if they do get a down they
work hard at getting back up. The last majr problems where the delays
in mail between the punts and mailstore in the last couple of months.
Caused by increased demand (I read that to mean spam/virus generated
rubbish) being faster than anticpated but that's been resolved now.

A Demon Internet Founder Member and still with Demon.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 18:10:11 -0000, "Dave"
wrote:

We've given up on getting ADSL so my company is paying for ISDN; now the
family want me to find an unmetered ISP for their use that can offer 128k
ISDN for a reasonable monthly charge - any suggestions?

I also need to get the home network sorted (the DIY relevant bit) so need a
router and WAP. The Vigor 2600W has ISDN and an 802.11b WAP but it's pricey,
can anyone suggest an ISDN router that supports VPN (for the work related
access)?

Dave S

Well, if you don't need too many hours a month I'd go for BT midband.
Tried a few other ISPs that claimed to offer bonded ISDN, including
123 and firefly, but found them to be unreliable. Not only did bonding
often not work, quite frequently it would take several attempts to
connect, which rather removes one of the advantages of ISDN, the quick
call setup time.

I've found midband to be consistently reliable. and relatively
inexpensive. You do need to make separate provision for news and SMTP
email delivery though.

Bill

tony sayer

In article ,
writes

Colin M wrote:

Don't sign up for ISDN this late in the day. How does your exchange look
like on
www.adslguide.org.uk?

What that doesn't tell you iif you can have it or not, even if your
exchange is enabled. Our exchange is, but even though its less than a
mile, as the crow files, its 3 miles plus as the cable goes....So over a
mile too far for even the slowest ADSL. Still we do have National
Thieves Limited and their "broad-band" (which isn't really so I'm told)
in the area.

FWIW we have some premises which are 6 KM from the exchange chatting to
a BT tech the other day he said that ADSL would work over that distance
but only up to 512 down, and you couldn't expect anything
faster...FWIW..

Niel, one of many radio hams whose repeaters had to move following
demands of "commercial rates" by NTL when they took over the
"management" of many transmitter sites in the UK.

Agreed!...
--
Tony Sayer

tony sayer

In article , Dave
writes

"Colin M" wrote in message
Dave

[...]

Where the mighty nthell is based!....shame....

--
Tony Sayer

Dave

wrote:

[...]

Thanks Bill, I hadn't heard of the BT offering and it sounds too good to be
true...
£10/month, 75 hrs at 128k (150 at 64k), 2 hr timeout.

They say that it's not ISP-based - how does it differ?
Do you use a standard browser? Does it work with MSN (essential for
teenagers)?
Presumably the standard newsreaders work so it's possible to use one of the
free news servers(?)

Dave S

Dave

"Huge" wrote in message
"Dave" writes:

We've used Demon for analogue dial-up for many years, unfortunately they
only offer 64k ISDN with surftime. The 128k offering is £60/month - a bit
too steep for home use.

Demon supports ISDN - indeed that's why you're reading this. They also
support channel bonding to give 128Kb. All on the standard £10/month
dialup.

....but are you paying 1 or 2p/minute for the connection time?

Demon told me yesterday that they will provide 128k at the normal connection
charge rates but only 64k with BT surftime.
....did I get a duff salesgirl?

Dave S

Will Cooke

"Dave" wrote in message ...
We've given up on getting ADSL so my company is paying for ISDN; now the
family want me to find an unmetered ISP for their use that can offer 128k
ISDN for a reasonable monthly charge - any suggestions?

I use Quik Internet. They're based in Manchester (a franchise of a US com.)
and they are very good. Take a look at http://www.ispreview.co.uk Have a look
in the forums, and you'll see many other people who would recommend them.

Huge wrote:
"Dave" writes:

"dave cunningham" ] wrote in message
I'd imagine Demon Super Showroom is in the same leage as Clara's
offering. Whether the OP finds either of these to have reasonable
monthly charges is perhaps another matter though.

--
Dave Cunningham dave at upsilon org uk
PGP KEY ID: 0xA78636DC

We've used Demon for analogue dial-up for many years, unfortunately they
only offer 64k ISDN with surftime. The 128k offering is £60/month - a bit
too steep for home use.

Demon supports ISDN - indeed that's why you're reading this. They also
support channel bonding to give 128Kb. All on the standard £10/month
dialup.

.... plus of course *two* 0845 calls at the same time for 128k ISDN.
This is why I have just left Demon after being with them since soon
after they started up. Paying £10/month *plus* 0845 call charges makes
them distinctly expensive and also reduces one of the advantages of ISDN
which is the fast call setup time.

An unmetered ISDN connection means that you can have what feels almost
like an 'always on' connection and don't need to worry about how many
times you disconnect and reconnect. With an 0845 number it costs you
5p (or thereabouts) every time you bring up the connection even if
it's only for a few seconds. If you compensate by setting the idle
time quite long then you're wasting 'contention bandwidth' and your
ISP is likely to have to charge you more.

--
Chris Green )

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 10:49:51 -0000, "Dave"
wrote:

They say that it's not ISP-based - how does it differ?
Do you use a standard browser? Does it work with MSN (essential for
teenagers)?
Presumably the standard newsreaders work so it's possible to use one of the
free news servers(?)

Dave S

Basically all BT provide is the connectivity. They don't provide web
space, email or news services, but they don't appear to limit access
to others.

Don't know anything about MSN, but I don't see any reason why it
wouldn't work.

Yes, the standard browsers, email clients and newsreaders work. You
should be able to use free news servers.

Email was what initially gave me problems. If you have email accounts
with other ISPs you can collect mail from them via pop3, but sending
via SMTP is not completely straightforward. BT do offer an SMTP
service for an extra fee, either £1.50 or £2.50 a month. There are
various providers of mail facilities, including SMTP, for either
nothing or fairly low fees. I'm trying Runbox at the moment. Not the
cheapest at about $30 p.a. but it seems reliable so far. Alternatively
you can use webmail.

Bill
Lawrence

What has happened around here is someone has stood up to coordinarte
and then a group have gone door knocking and talking to other locals.
The exchange has gone fom 32 to 136 sign ups in about 2 weeks. Ok the
trigger level is 150. This suypprised me as I never expected to get
broadband but it looks like it will happen. Chirton exchange in
wiltshire did the same door knocking and goes live in January.

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 22:23:38 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 19:29:32 +0000 (UTC), Colin M wrote:

Don't sign up for ISDN this late in the day. How does your exchange
look like on www.adslguide.org.uk?

Ours has 25, trigger 300...

I doubt very much it'll rise.

Comparing ISDN to ADSL, it is worth the wait.

Comparing ADSL to wireless community broadband is worth the wait. It's
a bit variable depending on system load but 1Mbps full duplex is the
norm, in the wee small hours I've had 4 to 5Mbps, full duplex of
course.

Lawrence

usenet at lklyne dt co dt uk
Lawrence

I used to use demon but got the hump when the official line with there
mail system was that there where no problems with it. (I found mail
downloads not triggering for a large part of the day). In the last
month I was with them, notice period, a whole raft of updates where
done to the mail system. I prefer openess and honesty which I did not
feel I was getting.

On 25 Nov 2003 10:30:15 GMT, (Huge) wrote:

The Natural Philosopher writes:

[27 lines snipped]

Demon sucks, always has, always will,

In your (incorrect) opinion.

Lawrence

usenet at lklyne dt co dt uk
Lawrence

static IP address is an option on plus net. www.plusnet.com

You just go to the account web page and select it. Configuring your
firewall first of course.

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 09:32:31 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Demon sucks, always has, always will, but you do get a fixed IP address
which makes getting through other peoples firewalls a bit easier to
manage. I think Pipex also do a unlimited access ISDN service on anytime
numbers.

Lawrence

usenet at lklyne dt co dt uk

The Natural Philosopher

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 08:23:35 +0000, David wrote:

I don't have any problems with them, I've been with them for about
that time and can't say the service has got any worse.

Demon have had ups and downs but generally if they do get a down they
work hard at getting back up. The last majr problems where the delays
in mail between the punts and mailstore in the last couple of months.
Caused by increased demand (I read that to mean spam/virus generated
rubbish) being faster than anticpated but that's been resolved now.

A Demon Internet Founder Member and still with Demon.

Ah, a DIFM rather than just DIM I see.

Demon is cheap, and the service quality reflects that, and always has.
Its about the cheapest unlimited ISDN dial up option out there.

Apart from that, its as crap as you would expect. I know, I use it :-)

The Natural Philosopher

Huge wrote:

"Dave" writes:

"dave cunningham" ] wrote in message
.. .

I'd imagine Demon Super Showroom is in the same leage as Clara's
offering. Whether the OP finds either of these to have reasonable
monthly charges is perhaps another matter though.

--
Dave Cunningham dave at upsilon org uk
PGP KEY ID: 0xA78636DC

We've used Demon for analogue dial-up for many years, unfortunately they
only offer 64k ISDN with surftime. The 128k offering is £60/month - a bit
too steep for home use.

Demon supports ISDN - indeed that's why you're reading this. They also
support channel bonding to give 128Kb. All on the standard £10/month
dialup.

Not on freetime numbers it isn't.

Costs more than that.

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 08:23:35 +0000, David wrote:

I don't have any problems with them, I've been with them for about
that time and can't say the service has got any worse.

Demon have had ups and downs but generally if they do get a down they
work hard at getting back up. The last majr problems where the delays
in mail between the punts and mailstore in the last couple of months.
Caused by increased demand (I read that to mean spam/virus generated
rubbish) being faster than anticpated but that's been resolved now.

A Demon Internet Founder Member and still with Demon.

Ah, a DIFM rather than just DIM I see.

Demon is cheap, and the service quality reflects that, and always has.
Its about the cheapest unlimited ISDN dial up option out there.

How about FreeServe and AOL, I don't think either of them impose usage
limits and they are a whole lot cheaper than Demon. I'm assuming by
'unlimited' you mean really unlimited as in no monthly hours limit.

If you mean unlimited as in 'unmetered' but with a limit on the total
number of hours/month then there are dozens of alternatives to Demon.

Demon is expensive for just about any sort of usage except possibly
somewhere over 10 hours/day. 300 hours/month packages can be found
for far less than Demon + Surftime costs.

--
Chris Green )