John Rumm

Default Recommendations - ISPs for ISDN? (sort-of relevant to DIY)

Dave wrote:

Demon told me yesterday that they will provide 128k at the normal connection
charge rates but only 64k with BT surftime.
....did I get a duff salesgirl?

No that sounds about right.... you can't do the bandwidth allocation on
demand trick using surf(any)time either - so if you have an ISDN router
you need to go to the hassle of reprogramming each time to switch
between unmetered 64K and paid for 128K.

--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm

Dave wrote:

Unfortunately it doesn't appear to support VPN and I need this for the "work
breaks".

I used to use an Eicon Diva 1830 ISDN router - pretty sure you can run
VPN over that. Currently sitting on a shelf gathering dust. Drop me an
email if you want to make me an offer ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm

Lawrence wrote:

static IP address is an option on plus net. www.plusnet.com

it's usually standard on plusnet - rather than an option. Multiple
static IP addresses is a (free) option.

--
Cheers,

John.

Gordon Henderson

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
Dave wrote:

Demon told me yesterday that they will provide 128k at the normal connection
charge rates but only 64k with BT surftime.
....did I get a duff salesgirl?

No that sounds about right.... you can't do the bandwidth allocation on
demand trick using surf(any)time either - so if you have an ISDN router
you need to go to the hassle of reprogramming each time to switch
between unmetered 64K and paid for 128K.

Er... Yes you can.

You need the right account with Demon - Super Showroom. then you can
have 64K or 128K 24/7 for a fixed amount. (£23 to BT for the line, £25
to BT for Surftime/Anytime and some huge amount to Demon for the service)

CyberCafe up the road from me has that as a backup system to their
main 2Mb feed. I set it up for them (Zyxel router) and it does BOD as
it needs to. (We use the ISDN for other things to like outgoing email,
but thats another story)

Gordon

Gordon Henderson wrote:
In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
Dave wrote:

Demon told me yesterday that they will provide 128k at the normal connection
charge rates but only 64k with BT surftime.
....did I get a duff salesgirl?

No that sounds about right.... you can't do the bandwidth allocation on
demand trick using surf(any)time either - so if you have an ISDN router
you need to go to the hassle of reprogramming each time to switch
between unmetered 64K and paid for 128K.

Er... Yes you can.

You need the right account with Demon - Super Showroom. then you can
have 64K or 128K 24/7 for a fixed amount. (£23 to BT for the line, £25
to BT for Surftime/Anytime and some huge amount to Demon for the service)

I think it's £60/month to Demon.

--
Chris Green )

Huge wrote:

Demon supports ISDN - indeed that's why you're reading this. They also
support channel bonding to give 128Kb. All on the standard £10/month
dialup.

.... plus of course *two* 0845 calls at the same time for 128k ISDN.

Well, yes. You're using two phone lines.

.... but if it's unmetered you don't care.

[5 lines snipped]

An unmetered ISDN connection means that you can have what feels almost
like an 'always on' connection and don't need to worry about how many
times you disconnect and reconnect. With an 0845 number it costs you
5p (or thereabouts) every time you bring up the connection even if
it's only for a few seconds. If you compensate by setting the idle
time quite long then you're wasting 'contention bandwidth' and your
ISP is likely to have to charge you more.

I have no choice where I live. ISDN is as good as it's likely to get.

Exactly my situation too.

--
Chris Green )
Dave Liquorice

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 09:28:38 -0000, Dave wrote:

This all sounds like we live in a remote Welsh valley - we actually
live in a village a couple of miles N of Winchester.

Naw if you lived in a remote Welsh valley you'd be connected via a
wireless system as an adjunct to getting the local schools decent
broadband connections or simply because the locals new that BT would
not be enabling their exchange for years (if ever) and wireless brings
better bandwidth so they got together and formed a Community
Enterprise to do it.

If you are in Cumbria keep an eye out for Project Access, this aims to
provide broadband access to the whole of the county (target 90/95%).
This should start to roll out early next year with completion in 2005
or perhaps late 2004 (but that would seem to be pushing it a bit
IMHO).

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

John Rumm

Gordon Henderson wrote:

Er... Yes you can.

You need the right account with Demon - Super Showroom. then you can
have 64K or 128K 24/7 for a fixed amount. (?23 to BT for the line, ?25
to BT for Surftime/Anytime and some huge amount to Demon for the service)

Yup - sorry was thinking "premier connect plus" - I was forgetting their
business ISDN offerings.

I used to use PCP + Surf anytime - and damn expensive it was too!

--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm

Huge wrote:

Demon told me yesterday that they will provide 128k at the normal connection
charge rates but only 64k with BT surftime.
....did I get a duff salesgirl?

Probably. I must admit that I don't do channel bonding because the equipment
at my end doesn't support it, but I am absolutely convinced that Demon allow
it, because it's one of the oh-so-many things on my "To Do" list.

They do allow channel bonding - but not on the 0808 numbers (at least a
year ago or so when I last used ISDN). You can do it on the 0845 numbers
and also (as Grodon points out above) with the business oriented
packages like showroom.

--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm wrote:
Huge wrote:

Demon told me yesterday that they will provide 128k at the normal connection
charge rates but only 64k with BT surftime.
....did I get a duff salesgirl?

Probably. I must admit that I don't do channel bonding because the equipment
at my end doesn't support it, but I am absolutely convinced that Demon allow
it, because it's one of the oh-so-many things on my "To Do" list.

They do allow channel bonding - but not on the 0808 numbers (at least a
year ago or so when I last used ISDN). You can do it on the 0845 numbers
and also (as Grodon points out above) with the business oriented
packages like showroom.

Demon don't have any 0808 numbers, all of their numbers are 0845 or
0844 (Surftime).

--
Chris Green )
John Rumm

wrote:

Demon don't have any 0808 numbers, all of their numbers are 0845 or
0844 (Surftime).

yes you are right - did not feel right when I typed it ;-)

(you can see its been a while since I used dial-up ;-))

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |

geoff

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes

If I could find four people withing wifi range

I've got one of those ...........He he

Free internet access whenever my NTL box locks up

--
geoff