Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Immersion heater - remote control

Amongst all the other projects both sons have got me "helping with", we
have an immersion heater.

He has an iphone and can switch various things on and off remotely.
Apparently the house controller has switched contacts labelled
"Immersion Heater" so he wired these to the immersion heater.

It worked for about a day.
He then read the instructions and saw the heater was rated at 13A and
the switch contacts in the controller at 3A.

He has asked me what sort of relay he needs to install next to the HW
tank.

I have suggested http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products/4927202/

Is this OK? Are there likely to be heat problems with the box he mounts
it in? I have suggested stranded wire via a choc block if the existing
cable is solid core, crimped terminals and a decent, earthed metal box.

I don't think it would be easy to cable a controller output to the main
distribution board, but would a "proper" way to do it be to fit some
sort of relay/actuator in that in the supply to the immersion?

--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/08/2015 15:34, Bill wrote:
Amongst all the other projects both sons have got me "helping with", we
have an immersion heater.

He has an iphone and can switch various things on and off remotely.
Apparently the house controller has switched contacts labelled
"Immersion Heater" so he wired these to the immersion heater.

It worked for about a day.
He then read the instructions and saw the heater was rated at 13A and
the switch contacts in the controller at 3A.

He has asked me what sort of relay he needs to install next to the HW tank.

I have suggested http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products/4927202/

Is this OK? Are there likely to be heat problems with the box he mounts
it in? I have suggested stranded wire via a choc block if the existing
cable is solid core, crimped terminals and a decent, earthed metal box.

The relay is rated at 70degsC ambient. I would say it is fine as long as
its not in contact with a hot pipe or the hot tank.

It looks a little expensive to me as it's a 2 pole, 2 throw relay. You
only need a single pole single throw SPST N/O relay.

I don't think it would be easy to cable a controller output to the main
distribution board, but would a "proper" way to do it be to fit some
sort of relay/actuator in that in the supply to the immersion?

Or plastic box that wouldn't need earthing?

I don't see the issue, just place a relay in the same location as the
controller and use the relay to switch the live to the immersion heater.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Fredxxx
writes

The relay is rated at 70degsC ambient. I would say it is fine as long
as its not in contact with a hot pipe or the hot tank.

It looks a little expensive to me as it's a 2 pole, 2 throw relay. You
only need a single pole single throw SPST N/O relay.

I don't think it would be easy to cable a controller output to the main
distribution board, but would a "proper" way to do it be to fit some
sort of relay/actuator in that in the supply to the immersion?

Or plastic box that wouldn't need earthing?

I don't see the issue, just place a relay in the same location as the
controller and use the relay to switch the live to the immersion heater.

It won't be in contact with the tank or hot pipework, but will be in his
big, room sized airing cupboard. So a moderately high ambient
temperature and possible heat transmission down the cable from the
immersion. We just want to be sure, as it's all being turned on when the
house is empty.

The relay needs to be at the heater end of the cable from the
controller. I can't supervise or do any more decorative work in the hall
where the controller is.

I was told that it had to switch live and neutral to be legal. There are
cheaper, similar relays available online, and a 30A dpdt mains driven
relay seems to be a standard type. There are solid state relays that are
single pole, but I'm not sure about heat dissipation (some seem to have
heatsinks), and they are more expensive.

I might look up the temperature ratings of plastic boxes.

Thanks.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 23 August 2015 17:53:01 UTC+1, Bill wrote:

I was told that it had to switch live and neutral to be legal. There are
cheaper, similar relays available online, and a 30A dpdt mains driven
relay seems to be a standard type. There are solid state relays that are
single pole, but I'm not sure about heat dissipation (some seem to have
heatsinks), and they are more expensive.

I can't think of any reason for needing a double pole relay. Double pole
contacts are only needed for an isolator and a conventional or solid-state
relay would not be acceptable for isolation anyway.

Have you considered what would happen if the water supply is shut off
when the occupier is away and the immersion heater is switched on remotely?

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote in message
On Sunday, 23 August 2015 17:53:01 UTC+1, Bill wrote:

I was told that it had to switch live and neutral to be legal. There are
cheaper, similar relays available online, and a 30A dpdt mains driven
relay seems to be a standard type. There are solid state relays that are
single pole, but I'm not sure about heat dissipation (some seem to have
heatsinks), and they are more expensive.

I can't think of any reason for needing a double pole relay. Double pole
contacts are only needed for an isolator and a conventional or solid-state
relay would not be acceptable for isolation anyway.

Have you considered what would happen if the water supply is shut off
when the occupier is away and the immersion heater is switched on
remotely?

A cylinder full of of water?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/08/15 18:19, wrote:
On Sunday, 23 August 2015 17:53:01 UTC+1, Bill wrote:

I was told that it had to switch live and neutral to be legal. There are
cheaper, similar relays available online, and a 30A dpdt mains driven
relay seems to be a standard type. There are solid state relays that are
single pole, but I'm not sure about heat dissipation (some seem to have
heatsinks), and they are more expensive.

I can't think of any reason for needing a double pole relay. Double pole
contacts are only needed for an isolator and a conventional or solid-state
relay would not be acceptable for isolation anyway.

Me neither. Switching does not need double pole. There'd be an isolator
before the relay anyway and that can be DP.

Have you considered what would happen if the water supply is shut off
when the occupier is away and the immersion heater is switched on remotely?

Hopefully nothing unless the tank is drained down? And failing that, the
immersion *should* have a failsafe trip built in - but I'm not sure if
that's a mandatory requirement or just a feature of better heaters.

But part of a "going away lockdown" would include turning the local
isolator off if turning the main water off.

BTW for the OP - you can get DIN rail contactors (fancy name for a
relay) if you want to make the job look solid. Some contactors include a
local override lever, which could be a useful feature. Or wire a 20A
switch in parallel.

Remote central heater control Timothy Murphy[_2_] UK diy 26 February 10th 15 06:05 PM
Immersion heaters - remote setting? Timothy Murphy[_2_] UK diy 12 November 23rd 08 12:56 AM
Wireless control of immersion heater? Timothy Murphy UK diy 2 September 19th 07 07:23 PM
Immersion Heater Macc Glyn UK diy 15 June 14th 07 06:03 PM
TV Remote Control rubber pad(UR50CT1071) used in remote control for Panasonic TV Model TX-29GF10X Steve Electronics Repair 4 November 1st 03 02:27 PM