Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default fences & planning permission

Hi, I have a row of 20 leylandii trees at the front of my property.

They are 8ft high. At one time they used to be 30ft high.

I wish to chop all 20 trees down and replace with a 6ft high fence. the
fence length will be 11 metres.

The local council have advised me that as the proposed fence is next to
a public pavement, I need to apply for planning permission.

We obviously will apply for planning permission. This will cost £150
irrespective of whether PP is granted or rejected.

Now obviously I only want to pay t6his fee once, so want to hear from
people who have been there, done that and got the T shirt so to speak..

Now what I would like to know is what the *must dos* and the *Must Not
dos* are to ensure that our PP applicatio nis successful first time.

I propose to use concrete posts with 6ft by 6ft wavey lap fence panels
in a neutral colour.

It will be adjacent to the edge of a pedestrian pavement which in turn
is adjacent to a cul de sac road.

Is a written statement enough or have I got to provide full drawings of
the proposed works? WIll photos and hand drawings be enough or have I
got to comission an architect?

Regards,

Stephen
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ring them and ask?
I would expect dimensioned sketch drawings would be sufficient unless it's contentious... What do your neighbours think of the proposal? If they are on your side get them to write letters of support for the application, this may help reassure the officer that it won't turn into a political hot potato for them to be seen to be dealing with completely "by the book" wrt drawings etc.

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen wrote:
[...]

Ask them where this is specified.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/08/2015 23:24, Capitol wrote:
Stephen wrote:
[...]

In the planning laws. Fences, but not hedges, next to a highway require
planning permission if they are more than 1 metre high. On other
boundaries, they need planning permission if more than 2m high.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen wrote:

Is a written statement enough or have I got to provide full drawings of
the proposed works? WIll photos and hand drawings be enough or have I
got to comission an architect?

One way to test the water, if your authority has an online
planning portal - just scan through and look at the documents
submitted for a sample of similar applications.

Clearly you can't see the minimum acceptable, but you will
probably discover how simple some of the submissions are.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Personally I'd cut down the Leylandii and install the fence and wait for the **** to hit the fan, I.M.E. it probably never will. Who is going to complain about replacing truncated Leylandii (Ugghhh) with a nice fence ? Whats the worst case scenario ? They make you replace the Leylandii. I think not. You may have to apply for retention but at that stage they will be talking to you.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/08/2015 12:17, fred wrote:
Personally I'd cut down the Leylandii and install the fence and wait for the **** to hit the fan, I.M.E. it probably never will. Who is going to complain about replacing truncated Leylandii (Ugghhh) with a nice fence ? Whats the worst case scenario ? They make you replace the Leylandii. I think not. You may have to apply for retention but at that stage they will be talking to you.

You dont need pp if its less than 3ft and bordering a road, or 6ft
elsewhere.
You could always plant a more suitable low maintenance hedge with a few
supporting wires. I would set it back from the boundary so you arent
always having to clip it to keep it off the footpath
If you do it may be worth putting in a few short posts to define the
boundary for future reference
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/08/2015 12:17, fred wrote:
Personally I'd cut down the Leylandii and install the fence and wait for the **** to hit the fan, I.M.E. it probably never will.

Given that he has already been advised by the LA that he needs planning
permission, it probably will.

Who is going to complain about replacing truncated Leylandii (Ugghhh) with a nice fence ? Whats the worst case scenario ? They make you replace the Leylandii. I think not. You may have to apply for retention but at that stage they will be talking to you.

That they can't do, but they can require the fence to be removed.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/08/2015 16:10, Nightjar cpb wrote:
On 12/08/2015 12:17, fred wrote:
Personally I'd cut down the Leylandii and install the fence and wait
for the **** to hit the fan, I.M.E. it probably never will.

Given that he has already been advised by the LA that he needs planning
permission, it probably will.

Who is going to complain about replacing truncated Leylandii (Ugghhh)
with a nice fence ? Whats the worst case scenario ? They make you
replace the Leylandii. I think not. You may have to apply for
retention but at that stage they will be talking to you.

That they can't do, but they can require the fence to be removed.

Of course OP may well "suddenly discover" an existing fence buried in
the dense high leylandii which has been there for more than 6? years
and so beyond LA action.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Brian-Gaff" writes:
Blimey, most of the peeps around here would just cut them down and put their
fences up, indeed some have done this with no come backs.

Someone near me did that, actually put up rather expensive railings which
are probably 2m or more high. Council told them they had to get retrospective
PP or take them down. All the neighbours supported the application so it went
through. The retrospective PP costs more than applying before you start work.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 11 August 2015 17:54:17 UTC+1, Stephen wrote:
[...]

I have had this very problem.
There are two aspects.
Sight lines, ie visibility when you leave your driveway in a car.
And appearance.
Some snivelling little university educated snot comes along and woffles on about what planning department guidelines, artistic crap and and non-specific past history. Utter drivel. They are brain dead.

See what your neighbours have and speak to them.

What you had there in the past/present is craftily ignored if they can get away with it.

Hedges/trees are a loophole. You can plant and grow these as high as you like.
Which is what you've got.
Which may indicate something that happened in the past.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Just talk to them BTW.
A ****-fer-brains architect is the last person you want
And you ONLY NEED PLANNIG PERMISSION IF THE FENCE IS TO BE OUTSIDE THE ONE METRE GUIDELINE.

All you need is a letter, thumbnail plan showing your boundary and the nearby road with the proposed fence marked in and fence manufacturer's catalogue with a picture of proposed fence.
Also plead traffic noise, local kids + anything else that comes to mind.

And the answer is likely to be "NO" IME.
Again speak to neighbours & get their experiences
So very probably, money wasted.

Or just do it and say nowt.
Works unless there are busybodies nearby.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Stephen
wrote:

Is a written statement enough or have I got to provide full drawings of
the proposed works? WIll photos and hand drawings be enough or have I
got to comission an architect?

Phone your council's Planning Dept, speak to a planning officer and
find out what definite no-nos are and what they expect you to provide
with the planning application.

but you don't need an architect,, there are plenty of people out there who
will draw up plans or even design a building who are not architects

--
Please note new email address:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/08/15 18:03, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Stephen
wrote:

Is a written statement enough or have I got to provide full drawings
of the proposed works? WIll photos and hand drawings be enough or have
I got to comission an architect?

Phone your council's Planning Dept, speak to a planning officer and
find out what definite no-nos are and what they expect you to provide
with the planning application.

If he can - ours refuses to talk to anyone but will reply to a letter
for a fee.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Is a written statement enough or have I got to provide full drawings
of the proposed works? WIll photos and hand drawings be enough or have
I got to comission an architect?

Phone your council's Planning Dept, speak to a planning officer and
find out what definite no-nos are and what they expect you to provide
with the planning application.

If he can - ours refuses to talk to anyone but will reply to a letter
for a fee.

Much the same in Sheffield: "If you are needing pre planning advice or
confirmation if planning is required or not, then there is usually a
charge for this" (SCC planning dept)

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/08/15 19:54, Tim Streater wrote:

wrote:

Is a written statement enough or have I got to provide full drawings
of the proposed works? WIll photos and hand drawings be enough or have
I got to comission an architect?

Phone your council's Planning Dept, speak to a planning officer and
find out what definite no-nos are and what they expect you to provide
with the planning application.

If he can - ours refuses to talk to anyone but will reply to a letter
for a fee.

Get on to your local councillor then, and find out whether this is
council policy and why. I've not had issues calling Canterbury Planning
Dept.

I know it's council policy - and why - well I can summise it is to do
with making money.

Planning permission harry UK diy 1 July 15th 12 05:47 PM
Planning permission ss UK diy 13 July 11th 12 08:43 AM
Planning permission Lobster UK diy 0 July 9th 12 08:23 AM
Planning permission Brian Gaff UK diy 0 July 9th 12 08:20 AM
Do I need Planning permission? [email protected] UK diy 12 October 27th 07 08:55 AM