Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default Planning permission

On 08/07/2012 21:00, Bill Wright wrote:
Ellie wrote:
We have planning permission for a 2-story extension but can only
afford to do the ground floor at the moment.

Can we build the ground floor and then put a flat roof on it until we
have money to do the upper floor? Does anyone have experience of this?
Waste money on a temporary roof? Why not complete the brickwork and roof
and wait until you have more money to do the inside work?

Bill

I dont know for sure but there will probably be a time limit on what you
applied to do and doing just the gound floor (I think) would mean you
have failed to build what you applied to do and if you therefore go over
the time limit you may have to go through the planning process again.
One problem could be that each council has its own take on this it maybe
best to speak to them about it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:

I dont know for sure but there will probably be a time limit on what you
applied to do and doing just the gound floor (I think) would mean you
have failed to build what you applied to do and if you therefore go over
the time limit you may have to go through the planning process again.

Planning permission usually comes with a latest start date, but no
stipulated finish date ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Planning permission usually comes with a latest start date, but no
stipulated finish date ...

I was told that as I hadn't completed my work within the stipulated
five years (as it was then) I had to re-apply.

JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/07/2012 21:27, jgharston wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:
Planning permission usually comes with a latest start date, but no
stipulated finish date ...

I was told that as I hadn't completed my work within the stipulated
five years (as it was then) I had to re-apply.

JGH

Very odd. Planning permission usually stipulates starting within 4
years, but does not stipulate a finish date - hence occassional stories
of neighbours fed up of ongoing work lasting a decade or more.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Andy Burns wrote:
Planning permission usually comes with a latest start date, but no
stipulated finish date ...

I was told that as I hadn't completed my work within the stipulated
five years (as it was then) I had to re-apply.

JGH

Very odd. Planning permission usually stipulates starting within 4
years, but does not stipulate a finish date - hence occassional stories
of neighbours fed up of ongoing work lasting a decade or more.

SteveW

When I built my house several years back they give me a must finish by
date. I cant remember how long it was though but it wasnt excessive, and
they did check the final build to make sure it complied with regs and
the plans.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

SteveW wrote:
I was told that as I hadn't completed my work within the stipulated
five years (as it was then) I had to re-apply.

Very odd. Planning permission usually stipulates starting within 4
years, but does not stipulate a finish date

That's what I argued, but they insisted on their 150 quid and the
paperwork.

JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 08 Jul 2012 21:25:50 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

ss wrote:

I dont know for sure but there will probably be a time limit on what you
applied to do and doing just the gound floor (I think) would mean you
have failed to build what you applied to do and if you therefore go over
the time limit you may have to go through the planning process again.

Planning permission usually comes with a latest start date, but no
stipulated finish date ...

Here, if you stick a spade in the ground within five years of the
grant of PP, that's it started, and no end date applies.
Just as well, really...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Grimly Curmudgeon" wrote in message

Here, if you stick a spade in the ground within five years of the
grant of PP, that's it started, and no end date applies.
Just as well, really...

However building regs may change and that may well require you to change
what you build and hence need new planning consent.
AIUI building regs apply at the time you build not when you plan, and that
the inspector can require you to build to the new regs if he wants.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[Default] On Mon, 9 Jul 2012 07:53:13 +0100, a certain chimpanzee,
"dennis@home" , randomly hit the
keyboard and wrote:

However building regs may change and that may well require you to change
what you build and hence need new planning consent.
AIUI building regs apply at the time you build not when you plan, and that
the inspector can require you to build to the new regs if he wants.

How many levels of wrong was this answer?

Once building work has commenced on an application, the 'requirements'
[1] of the regulations that were in force at the time will apply [2].

Planning consent [3] has nothing to do with the Building Regulations
[4].

If you submit a Full Plans application, and it is approved, then
provided work is commenced on this application within three years, the
requirements in force at the time the original application was
submitted apply to the work [5]. The same applies to a building
notice. However, there have been occasions when changes to the
requirements have been applied to work that has not been commenced and
was either submitted on a building notice or plans had not been fully
approved.

A building control surveyor or officer [6] can't require you to build
to the new regs 'if he wants'[7]. There has to be a legal basis (i.e.,
Statutury Instruments) to any change in guidance, and any BCO would
know this.

7 factual errors in four lines.
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have I strayed"?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

keyboard and wrote:

[...]

That's actually quite good going for den:-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

keyboard and wrote:

However building regs may change and that may well require you to change
what you build and hence need new planning consent.
AIUI building regs apply at the time you build not when you plan, and that
the inspector can require you to build to the new regs if he wants.

How many levels of wrong was this answer?

Well i can see that your answer actually says exactly what I said so I guess
its all wrong because you always are!

Once building work has commenced on an application, the 'requirements'
[1] of the regulations that were in force at the time will apply [2].

Planning consent [3] has nothing to do with the Building Regulations
[4].

"building regs apply at the time you build not when you plan"
is the correct answer and is the same as what you quoted.

If you submit a Full Plans application, and it is approved, then
provided work is commenced on this application within three years, the
requirements in force at the time the original application was
submitted apply to the work [5]. The same applies to a building
notice. However, there have been occasions when changes to the
requirements have been applied to work that has not been commenced and
was either submitted on a building notice or plans had not been fully
approved.

Building regs have nothing to do with planning and are not approved when you
submit plans for planning applications.

A building control surveyor or officer [6] can't require you to build
to the new regs 'if he wants'[7]. There has to be a legal basis (i.e.,
Statutury Instruments) to any change in guidance, and any BCO would
know this.

Funny "inspector can require you to build to the new regs "
How do you get new regs unless there has been a legal change?

7 factual errors in four lines.

Yes you really did manage to post proof of what I said and then claim I was
wrong, well done.

--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have I strayed"?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[Default] On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 21:41:43 +0100, a certain chimpanzee,
keyboard and wrote:
Yes you really did manage to post proof of what I said and then claim I was
wrong, well done.

TBH, I was going to point out line-by-line how you've managed to
managed to twist around everything you said, and misunderstand what
I've said, but ICBA.

You're wrong, I'm right; deal with it.
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have I strayed"?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

keyboard and wrote:
Yes you really did manage to post proof of what I said and then claim I
was
wrong, well done.

TBH, I was going to point out line-by-line how you've managed to
managed to twist around everything you said, and misunderstand what
I've said, but ICBA.

So now you are claiming the opposite of what you posted then?

You're wrong, I'm right; deal with it.

You have the problem and I have no intention of dealing with it for you.