Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wall light shades repair

Two of three wall lights, due to long usage and heat have suffered the
plasticky shades turning brown and brittle. There are also matching
ceiling light shades too. The plastic bits an elongated triangle
slotted into a gold metal shade frame, 6 triangles per frame. They are
made from a sort of flexible clear plastic, with like a coloured lily
pattern in the plastic.

I really rather would prefer to repair them, than try to source some
replacement shades. I'm thinking photo copy an undamaged shade lens,
print it in colour, laminate then cut to shape. I suspect the heat will
distort them. Is there a better way.

Maybe replacement for these plastic parts can be bought, anyone know?

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/08/2015 14:40, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Two of three wall lights, due to long usage and heat have suffered the
plasticky shades turning brown and brittle. There are also matching
ceiling light shades too. The plastic bits an elongated triangle slotted
into a gold metal shade frame, 6 triangles per frame. They are made from
a sort of flexible clear plastic, with like a coloured lily pattern in
the plastic.

I really rather would prefer to repair them, than try to source some
replacement shades. I'm thinking photo copy an undamaged shade lens,
print it in colour, laminate then cut to shape. I suspect the heat will
distort them. Is there a better way.

Maybe replacement for these plastic parts can be bought, anyone know?

Can you still buy "cels" for stage lights?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/08/2015 14:50, newshound wrote:
On 11/08/2015 14:40, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Two of three wall lights, due to long usage and heat have suffered the
plasticky shades turning brown and brittle. There are also matching
ceiling light shades too. The plastic bits an elongated triangle slotted
into a gold metal shade frame, 6 triangles per frame. They are made from
a sort of flexible clear plastic, with like a coloured lily pattern in
the plastic.

I really rather would prefer to repair them, than try to source some
replacement shades. I'm thinking photo copy an undamaged shade lens,
print it in colour, laminate then cut to shape. I suspect the heat will
distort them. Is there a better way.

Maybe replacement for these plastic parts can be bought, anyone know?

Can you still buy "cels" for stage lights?

Gels. Modern high temp gels are thin and flexible. One of the
manufacturers is Lee but if you find a local theatrical lighting
supplier you should be able to see the range available. You can also buy
a swatch of the gels available, IIRC transparent and frosted gels are
availabl A number of years ago,

A supplier which I have used is AJS based in Rigwood, Hants.

For a school production, gels were used to make a large stained glass
window for the stage as they are non flammable. Afterwards it was
displayed on the hall window for a few months.

Malcolm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Malcolm Race
wrote:
[...]

Swatches are normally free, I've never had to pay for one.

A supplier which I have used is AJS based in Rigwood, Hants.

They went bust, for the 2nd time - about 2 years ago.

For a school production, gels were used to make a large stained glass
window for the stage as they are non flammable. Afterwards it was
displayed on the hall window for a few months.

Done that, too.

--
Please note new email address:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/08/2015 16:52, charles wrote:

They went bust, for the 2nd time - about 2 years ago.

Previously posted here

http://www.flints.co.uk/catalogue.html

http://www.flints.co.uk/pdfcatalogue...hting_2015.pdf

The above are pages 3.72 to 3.77 from their catalogue
The gels are on page 3.75

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/08/2015 16:19, Malcolm Race wrote:
On 11/08/2015 14:50, newshound wrote:

Can you still buy "cels" for stage lights?

Gels. Modern high temp gels are thin and flexible.

Oops yes. It's my age, you know.....

At least you were able to work out what I meant to say!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
newshound wrote:
On 11/08/2015 14:40, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Two of three wall lights, due to long usage and heat have suffered the
plasticky shades turning brown and brittle. There are also matching
ceiling light shades too. The plastic bits an elongated triangle slotted
into a gold metal shade frame, 6 triangles per frame. They are made from
a sort of flexible clear plastic, with like a coloured lily pattern in
the plastic.

I really rather would prefer to repair them, than try to source some
replacement shades. I'm thinking photo copy an undamaged shade lens,
print it in colour, laminate then cut to shape. I suspect the heat will
distort them. Is there a better way.

Maybe replacement for these plastic parts can be bought, anyone know?

Can you still buy "cels" for stage lights?

I'd call them "gels" (short for gelatine filters). But yes, you, can.

--
Please note new email address:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/08/2015 14:40, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Two of three wall lights, due to long usage and heat have suffered the
plasticky shades turning brown and brittle. There are also matching
ceiling light shades too. The plastic bits an elongated triangle slotted
into a gold metal shade frame, 6 triangles per frame. They are made from
a sort of flexible clear plastic, with like a coloured lily pattern in
the plastic.

I really rather would prefer to repair them, than try to source some
replacement shades. I'm thinking photo copy an undamaged shade lens,
print it in colour, laminate then cut to shape. I suspect the heat will
distort them. Is there a better way.

Maybe replacement for these plastic parts can be bought, anyone know?

Nomex paper/card is the stuff. RS sell it, though not such a range as
they used to...

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/abrasi...9495 8073&m=1

Cheers
--
Syd
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 11 August 2015 14:40:14 UTC+1, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Two of three wall lights, due to long usage and heat have suffered the
plasticky shades turning brown and brittle. There are also matching
ceiling light shades too. The plastic bits an elongated triangle
slotted into a gold metal shade frame, 6 triangles per frame. They are
made from a sort of flexible clear plastic, with like a coloured lily
pattern in the plastic.

I really rather would prefer to repair them, than try to source some
replacement shades. I'm thinking photo copy an undamaged shade lens,
print it in colour, laminate then cut to shape. I suspect the heat will
distort them.

Probably not if you use CFL or LED

Is there a better way.

Maybe replacement for these plastic parts can be bought, anyone know?

Show us a pic. Your options certainly widen if you can lose the lilies. Printer ink generally fades, red especially. Etching the pattern with a laser would last.

NT