Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Remotes which learn

Bob Eager writes:

On Wed, 01 Jul 2015 23:19:28 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article ,
lid (Windmill) writes:
Anyone knowlegeable about these? I'm looking for something with which I
could select which device I want to control, presumably chosen from a
menu displayed on an LCD screen or whatever, and then perform all the
usual functions for that device.

I believe some remotes have a built-in selection of remotes whose codes
they can emulate, but I'd prefer something more flexible.
It'd probably need to have a touch screen to show different functions
for different devices.

Or could something like an Android phone have an IR
transmitter/receiver plugged into it so that it could act as a remote?
I have a vague idea I've heard of something of the kind.

It's over 10 years ago since I looked at such products, but there were
"4 in 1" type remotes which could record and playback the data stream
from the original equipment remote, providing you still had it and it
was working. (I think they might also have had codes for some common
remotes preloaded.)

Probably the most flexible ones are the Logotech ones - they vary in
price, up to about £200!

The Logitech harmony 650 is about £50, and can control 8 devices. I have
the 600 (earlier model) and that can control pretty well anything I threw
at it. And it can learn functions from an old remote.

Thanks; that told me what to look for. Maybe the 600 is better in some
way than the 650 (prices higher) ?

--
Windmill,
Use t m i l l