Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default [OT] Accumulated electrical 'stuff'

Is it just me? Where does this stuff come from? Just been going
through a stack of *15* quite large Addis stacking boxes, all of which
contain computer or related stuff. Some is easy, like TV coax cables,
telephone cables, modems etc., but some I must have had more than twenty
years and will never use again. Printer cables from the ark, old
mobiles, wall warts that I don't know what for, remotes for stuff we
probably dumped years ago, mains leads, extension leads, adaptors that
are for jobs I've forgotten, countless leads I haven't a clue what they
belong to and will never use again. A cupboard containing two printers,
six desk tops and a lap top. Why do I keep this stuff?

The problem, of course, is that whatever gets dumped will be needed the
following week.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/07/2015 15:42, News wrote:

Is it just me? Where does this stuff come from? Just been going
through a stack of *15* quite large Addis stacking boxes, all of which
contain computer or related stuff. Some is easy, like TV coax cables,
telephone cables, modems etc., but some I must have had more than twenty
years and will never use again. Printer cables from the ark, old
mobiles, wall warts that I don't know what for, remotes for stuff we
probably dumped years ago, mains leads, extension leads, adaptors that
are for jobs I've forgotten, countless leads I haven't a clue what they
belong to and will never use again. A cupboard containing two printers,
six desk tops and a lap top. Why do I keep this stuff?

The problem, of course, is that whatever gets dumped will be needed the
following week.

That makes two of us!

Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Lobster
writes

On 30/07/2015 15:42, News wrote:

[...]

I used to collect all that stuff..

But I've got much better at just getting rid of stuff. Had various clear
outs over the last couple of years and got rid of lots accumulated
stuff. Felt much better having done so.

Will I want it in future, possibly, but almost certainly not (and I'll
not find it if I do) If I do I can probably pick something up free or
cheap anyway.

DD2 decided she wanted to make 'space ship' and wanted old electrical
stuff with buttons and knobs etc for controls Rummaged out a few things,
but she wanted some more stuff. A quick shout on a local freecycle
group and I had more old tat than I could ever want. She'll get fed up
with it all at some point, but then it'll just go to the tip
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/07/2015 16:24, Lobster wrote:

ALL of us

A few weeks back I filled up the boot and back seat of my car with
computer/electrical appliances that 'may come in handy' but have never
had power applied since they were retired. My local council tip is
currently recycling them - into landfill.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/07/2015 18:01, alan_m wrote:
On 30/07/2015 16:24, Lobster wrote:

ALL of us

:-)

I've had two clear-outs in the past 20 years, with a remit of reducing
anything that hasn't been used for a few years to one small box-full.

A few weeks back I filled up the boot and back seat of my car with
computer/electrical appliances that 'may come in handy' but have never
had power applied since they were retired. My local council tip is
currently recycling them - into landfill.

The first clearout I advertised on Freecycle. It went, and while the
recipients seemed pleased (told me it was for school kids' projects), it
was some hassle.

This time I phoned the local scrappy. Unfortunately, it was gone by the
time they got here (a few hours). 6 or 7 rubble sacks full.

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Peter Andrews
scribeth thus
On 30/07/2015 15:42, News wrote:

Is it just me? Where does this stuff come from? Just been going
through a stack of *15* quite large Addis stacking boxes, all of which
contain computer or related stuff. Some is easy, like TV coax cables,
telephone cables, modems etc., but some I must have had more than twenty
years and will never use again. Printer cables from the ark, old
mobiles, wall warts that I don't know what for, remotes for stuff we
probably dumped years ago, mains leads, extension leads, adaptors that
are for jobs I've forgotten, countless leads I haven't a clue what they
belong to and will never use again. A cupboard containing two printers,
six desk tops and a lap top. Why do I keep this stuff?

The problem, of course, is that whatever gets dumped will be needed the
following week.

That makes two of us!

Peter

+1 here;!.....
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 30 July 2015 15:42:46 UTC+1, News wrote:
Is it just me? Where does this stuff come from? Just been going
through a stack of *15* quite large Addis stacking boxes, all of which
contain computer or related stuff. Some is easy, like TV coax cables,
telephone cables, modems etc., but some I must have had more than twenty
years and will never use again. Printer cables from the ark, old
mobiles, wall warts that I don't know what for, remotes for stuff we
probably dumped years ago, mains leads, extension leads, adaptors that
are for jobs I've forgotten, countless leads I haven't a clue what they
belong to and will never use again. A cupboard containing two printers,
six desk tops and a lap top. Why do I keep this stuff?

Just in case it's useful, one day.

The problem, of course, is that whatever gets dumped will be needed the
following week.

So don't dump it, surely you have a loft, atic, basement, cellar, under the stairs, shed or two, maybe there's space under the bed.
you know that if you throw it you'll need it, so don't throw it :-D simples.

--
Graeme

Posted to uk.d-i-y

We probably all appreciate the quality of the item and the value we put on
it when new. I remember dismantling some old stereo items to admire the
innards before binning them. The only thing I don't miss from way back are
the old 5 pin DIN plugs.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote:

We probably all appreciate the quality of the item and the value we put on
it when new. I remember dismantling some old stereo items to admire the
innards before binning them. The only thing I don't miss from way back are
the old 5 pin DIN plugs.

I recently decided to replace the lounge hi fi units. Quite a good idea
until I found out that it is nearly impossible to find an amplifier with
two separate outputs, or enough inputs. Very glad I didn't bin it first!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 30 Jul 2015 17:16:51 +0100, Capitol wrote:

DerbyBorn wrote:

We probably all appreciate the quality of the item and the value we put
on it when new. I remember dismantling some old stereo items to admire
the innards before binning them. The only thing I don't miss from way
back are the old 5 pin DIN plugs.

I recently decided to replace the lounge hi fi units. Quite a

good idea
until I found out that it is nearly impossible to find an amplifier with
two separate outputs, or enough inputs. Very glad I didn't bin it first!

I still have the Quad 33/303. So I have DIN plugs!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Bob Eager
scribeth thus

DerbyBorn wrote:

We probably all appreciate the quality of the item and the value we put
on it when new. I remember dismantling some old stereo items to admire
the innards before binning them. The only thing I don't miss from way
back are the old 5 pin DIN plugs.

I recently decided to replace the lounge hi fi units. Quite a

good idea
until I found out that it is nearly impossible to find an amplifier with
two separate outputs, or enough inputs. Very glad I didn't bin it first!

I still have the Quad 33/303. So I have DIN plugs!

Yes me too, well the ex missus had it, its still here new caps and all
in its still fine apart from the QUAD lamp having expired but will get
aroundtuit replacing that with a LED one.

Not that authentic but I ask myself if Peter Walker would have used it
if it were available then and I'm sure he would:!)..

Must get around to upping the 33 rail volts sometime, they say it does
improve it a bit....

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message 6,
DerbyBorn writes

The only thing I don't miss from way back are
the old 5 pin DIN plugs.

Are you sure? I do have some :-)

--
Graeme

Posted to uk.d-i-y

News wrote in
:

In message 6,
DerbyBorn writes

The only thing I don't miss from way back are
the old 5 pin DIN plugs.

Are you sure? I do have some :-)

My attempts to solder them usually failed after a short time. Leads were
not as flexible back then.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"whisky-dave" wrote in message
[...]

+1
I have 4 desktops, 3 lap tops, 3 printers, 4 monitors, about 5 modems and a
bin full of bits in the loft.
One of the lap tops is Windows '95 but it still works.
Oh, and a load of floppies.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 30 July 2015 15:56:20 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:
... maybe there's space under the bed.

Hah, I might just as well put the mattress on top of the boxes as use a bed-stead.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
whisky-dave writes
don't dump it, surely you have a loft

Full
, atic

Same as loft
, basement, cellar

Neither, but you missed garage (full)
, under the stairs,

full
shed or two,

Both full
maybe there's space under the bed.

That's where the old magazines live
you know that if you throw it you'll need it, so don't throw it :-D
simples.

The depressing thing is that I don't throw it, but I can't find it.

I've been looking for 2 days for the laptop with the missing 's' key to
load Windows 10 on, and I still can't think where I could have put it.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 30 Jul 2015 07:56:17 -0700 (PDT), whisky-dave wrote:

So don't dump it, surely you have a loft, atic, basement, cellar, under
the stairs, shed or two, maybe there's space under the bed. you know
that if you throw it you'll need it, so don't throw it :-D simples.

Q:

Overlord of the Stuffed Attic

If it moves, I'll keep it..
If it stands still, I'll keep it..
If I want it, it's up there somewhere...
If I've not yet used it, it's not been kept long enough...

It's not complete units that get reused, they by definition are
obsolete otherwise they'd still be doing what they where doing
orginally. It's the small stuff, off cuts of pipe/conduit/wire etc
that are suddenly required late on a Sunday. But one has to be strict
about what is a "useful" size for an offcut, I tend to draw the line
at less than about 18".

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes, I need a psu for a Sonus 1 by pure, the lead on the existing supply, a
retasked Oric Atmos psu, has fractured internally.
The problem is most wall warts seem to now be switch mode and crap causing
interference and spazmodic resets of anything run off of them.
I need a printer switch of the old centronics kind. I put one in a safe
place, now I have no idea where it is...
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"News" wrote in message

Is it just me? Where does this stuff come from? Just been going through
a stack of *15* quite large Addis stacking boxes, all of which contain
computer or related stuff. Some is easy, like TV coax cables, telephone
cables, modems etc., but some I must have had more than twenty years and
will never use again. Printer cables from the ark, old mobiles, wall
warts that I don't know what for, remotes for stuff we probably dumped
years ago, mains leads, extension leads, adaptors that are for jobs I've
forgotten, countless leads I haven't a clue what they belong to and will
never use again. A cupboard containing two printers, six desk tops and a
lap top. Why do I keep this stuff?

The problem, of course, is that whatever gets dumped will be needed the
following week.
--
Graeme

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Brian-Gaff
writes

I need a printer switch of the old centronics kind. I put one in a safe
place, now I have no idea where it is...

Sorry Brian, no Centronics printer switch. The closest I have is a
Centronics printer cable, and even two inches of ribbon cable with
Centronics socket at both ends. That was used to connect my first
'proper' PC to a dot matrix printer. The PC was an Apricot, running
their version of DOS 2.x, which taught me a lot.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian-Gaff wrote

Yes, I need a psu for a Sonus 1 by pure, the lead on the existing supply,
a retasked Oric Atmos psu, has fractured internally.

The problem is most wall warts seem to now be switch mode

Yes.

and crap causing interference and spazmodic resets of anything run off of
them.

Never had a problem with any of mine.

I need a printer switch of the old centronics kind.

Makes a lot more sense to change to a decent modern wifi printer.

"News" wrote in message

Is it just me? Where does this stuff come from? Just been going through
a stack of *15* quite large Addis stacking boxes, all of which contain
computer or related stuff. Some is easy, like TV coax cables, telephone
cables, modems etc., but some I must have had more than twenty years and
will never use again. Printer cables from the ark, old mobiles, wall
warts that I don't know what for, remotes for stuff we probably dumped
years ago, mains leads, extension leads, adaptors that are for jobs I've
forgotten, countless leads I haven't a clue what they belong to and will
never use again. A cupboard containing two printers, six desk tops and a
lap top. Why do I keep this stuff?

The problem, of course, is that whatever gets dumped will be needed the
following week.
--
Graeme

Posted to uk.d-i-y

News wrote:

Is it just me? Where does this stuff come from? Just been going
through a stack of *15* quite large Addis stacking boxes, all of which
contain computer or related stuff. Some is easy, like TV coax cables,
telephone cables, modems etc., but some I must have had more than twenty
years and will never use again. Printer cables from the ark, old
mobiles, wall warts that I don't know what for, remotes for stuff we
probably dumped years ago, mains leads, extension leads, adaptors that
are for jobs I've forgotten, countless leads I haven't a clue what they
belong to and will never use again. A cupboard containing two printers,
six desk tops and a lap top. Why do I keep this stuff?

The problem, of course, is that whatever gets dumped will be needed the
following week.

However you only dumped it because you took the trouble to look. If you
hadn't looked, you wouldn't have known you already had one, so you'd
have bought a new one anyway.

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mike Barnes
writes

However you only dumped it because you took the trouble to look. If you
hadn't looked, you wouldn't have known you already had one, so you'd
have bought a new one anyway.

Hmm. Not sure. Doubtless in the past I've looked for something I don't
have and even not looked for something I do have, but generally, I have
a pretty good idea of the stuff accumulated, and (roughly) where to find
it. The problem, of course, is knowing when to stop. Can it really be
worth storing a widget for twenty years, through a house move or three,
when a new one can be bought for a pound or two? Trouble is, just
buying a new one gives nothing like the satisfaction of needing
something, knowing it is there, finding it then using it :-)
--
Graeme

Posted to uk.d-i-y

News wrote:
In message , Mike Barnes
writes

However you only dumped it because you took the trouble to look. If you
hadn't looked, you wouldn't have known you already had one, so you'd
have bought a new one anyway.

Hmm. Not sure. Doubtless in the past I've looked for something I don't
have and even not looked for something I do have, but generally, I have
a pretty good idea of the stuff accumulated, and (roughly) where to find
it. The problem, of course, is knowing when to stop. Can it really be
worth storing a widget for twenty years, through a house move or three,
when a new one can be bought for a pound or two? Trouble is, just
buying a new one gives nothing like the satisfaction of needing
something, knowing it is there, finding it then using it :-)

Very true, but more and more my thoughts run along the lines of "if I
needed to get another one, how much time/trouble/money would it be?". I
suppose that's just another symptom of stuff being much cheaper than it
used to be.

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 31 Jul 2015 11:12:44 +0100, Mike Barnes wrote:

Trouble is, just buying a new one gives nothing like the

satisfaction
of needing something, knowing it is there, finding it then using

it :-)

Very true, but more and more my thoughts run along the lines of "if I
needed to get another one, how much time/trouble/money would it be?".

Quite, even with online ordering and "next day delivery" that can be
too long. Much more satisfying to have the requirement, a 10 minute
rummage, find the solution and apply it.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 31 Jul 2015 11:12:44 +0100, Mike Barnes wrote:

Trouble is, just buying a new one gives nothing like the

satisfaction
of needing something, knowing it is there, finding it then using

it :-)

Very true, but more and more my thoughts run along the lines of "if I
needed to get another one, how much time/trouble/money would it be?".

Quite, even with online ordering and "next day delivery" that can be
too long. Much more satisfying to have the requirement, a 10 minute
rummage, find the solution and apply it.

IME this tends towards a 10 day rummage!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mike Barnes
writes
News wrote:
In message , Mike Barnes
writes

[...]

I've ben sorting out some of my late father's stuff in my mum and dads
garage.

He has some tins and things that were his dads containing what are
obviously scavenged nails and such like. I can't remember the last time
I collected and stored a used nail.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Chris French
wrote:
In message , Mike Barnes
writes
News wrote:
In message , Mike Barnes
writes

[...]

How about "Pieces of string too short to be useful"?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mike Barnes
writes
News wrote:
Trouble is, just
buying a new one gives nothing like the satisfaction of needing
something, knowing it is there, finding it then using it :-)

Very true, but more and more my thoughts run along the lines of "if I
needed to get another one, how much time/trouble/money would it be?". I
suppose that's just another symptom of stuff being much cheaper than it
used to be.

Not just cheaper, but easier to obtain. A delay of course, but almost
any widget can be ordered these days, without the need for a shelf full
of paper catalogues, and without the need for multiple accounts.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 30 Jul 2015 22:07:47 +0100, Mike Barnes wrote:

The problem, of course, is that whatever gets dumped will be

needed the
following week.

However you only dumped it because you took the trouble to look. If you
hadn't looked, you wouldn't have known you already had one, so you'd
have bought a new one anyway.

Not me, I know what I have and where it is 99% of time. Chucking out
causes trouble as I will remember having widget X and where widget X
should be. When it isn't there I'll look in possible secondary or
tertiary locations, when that fails I'll try and remember if it has
been chucked or not. Memory of this aspect of "useful widgets" is no
where near as good as the "I have one of those" memory. Perhaps I
ought to keep a "chucked out" list.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"News" wrote in message

Is it just me? Where does this stuff come from? Just been going through
a stack of *15* quite large Addis stacking boxes, all of which contain
computer or related stuff. Some is easy, like TV coax cables, telephone
cables, modems etc., but some I must have had more than twenty years and
will never use again. Printer cables from the ark, old mobiles, wall
warts that I don't know what for,

I keep a proper database of that stuff.

remotes for stuff we probably dumped years ago, mains leads, extension
leads, adaptors that are for jobs I've forgotten, countless leads I
haven't a clue what they belong to and will never use again. A cupboard
containing two printers, six desk tops and a lap top. Why do I keep this
stuff?

I do because its impossible to work out what will be useful in future.

I've still got all the stuff left over from building the entire house
on a bare block of land more than 40 years ago too, and the tools.

The problem, of course, is that whatever gets dumped will be needed the
following week.

Precisely.

Not just electronic and DIY stuff either, I did wonder about all
those very nice straight sided 600ml glass marmalade jars that
I couldn't chuck out. Then they stopped making the marmalade
that I preferred, so I started making my own, and needed the
hundreds of jars because its more convenient to do a mega
batch every 2 years when the limes are dirt cheap.

Still got all the relish jars too, much smaller, but when the same
thing happened with those, the relish I now make myself goes
into more of those old marmalade jars and it doesn't last 2 years
so I do that every 6 months and don't need as many of those jars.
The relish jars are a good size for screws etc, better than the
tonic cans that I used when building the house because they
have proper lids, the tonic cans don't. Easier to break tho.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Rod Speed
writes
"News" wrote in message

TV coax cables, telephone cables, modems etc., but some I must have
had more than twenty years and will never use again. Printer cables
from the ark, old mobiles, wall warts that I don't know what for,

I keep a proper database of that stuff.

Hell's teeth. You are more organised than I'll ever be.

--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

News wrote
Rod Speed wrote
News wrote

TV coax cables, telephone cables, modems etc., but some I must have had
more than twenty years and will never use again. Printer cables from
the ark, old mobiles, wall warts that I don't know what for,

I keep a proper database of that stuff.

Hell's teeth. You are more organised than I'll ever be.

Yeah, I must admit I have never come across anyone else who does that.

Going to be interesting to see if anyone else in here says they do that too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , News
escribió:

You are more organised

translation: "a sad ******"

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mike Tomlinson" wrote in message
En el artículo , News
escribió:

You are more organised

translation: "a sad ******"

That must be Wodney then.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo om, bm
escribió:

That must be Wodney then.

Sure is.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, July 30, 2015 at 3:42:46 PM UTC+1, News wrote:
Is it just me? Where does this stuff come from? Just been going
through a stack of *15* quite large Addis stacking boxes, all of which
contain computer or related stuff. Some is easy, like TV coax cables,
telephone cables, modems etc., but some I must have had more than twenty
years and will never use again. Printer cables from the ark, old
mobiles, wall warts that I don't know what for, remotes for stuff we
probably dumped years ago, mains leads, extension leads, adaptors that
are for jobs I've forgotten, countless leads I haven't a clue what they
belong to and will never use again. A cupboard containing two printers,
six desk tops and a lap top. Why do I keep this stuff?

The problem, of course, is that whatever gets dumped will be needed the
following week.
--
Graeme

Nope. I chuck stuff as soon as I don't need it any more.

My wife on the other hand takes up the other 95% of the space in the house with stuff she can't find....

Philip
Posted to uk.d-i-y

" wrote in
:

[...]

I am involved with a museum of aerospace stuff. Some of the most popular
exhibits to visitors are old typewriters and mechanical calculators!