Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Domestic "noise" pollution

According to the local council:

"All DIY/Construction noise must be carried out during the hours of
8.00am to 5.00pm Monday to Friday and 9.00am till 1.00pm on Saturdays
and none at all on Sundays."

The rules regarding construction noise would make sense for businesses
such as builders, sparkies, plumbers and carpenters/joiners etc.

When pressed on the point of homeowners doing DIY at weekends and early
evenings:

According to the council, wallpapering or painting can be done at *any*
time, even through the night, but power tools must only be used during
the times stated above.

That seems incongruent with DIY hobbyists who work a 9 to 5 Mon to Fri
job, How are they supposed to carry out DIY with such restrictions?

Personally I would have thought till 7.00pm weekdays for noisy
activities would have been OK and that all day on Saturday and Sundays
from 9am to 5pm.

Incidentally, the use of lawnmowers in summer evenings is OK as no one
has ever complained about a lawnmower in over 20 years!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 24 July 2015 12:29:17 UTC+1, Stephen wrote:
According to the council, wallpapering or painting can be done at *any*
time, even through the night, but power tools must only be used during
the times stated above.

Does the blender I used to mix up the wallpaper paste last night count as a power tool?

I couldn't see any other way of getting the lumps out.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Friday, 24 July 2015 12:29:17 UTC+1, Stephen wrote:
According to the council, wallpapering or painting can be done at *any*
time, even through the night, but power tools must only be used during
the times stated above.

Does the blender I used to mix up the wallpaper
paste last night count as a power tool?

Corse it does and you will be publicly tarred
and feathered because you did that.

I couldn't see any other way of getting the lumps out.

No excuse.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen wrote:
[...]

I was talking to a bloke who said you're not even allowed to work on
your car where he lives - not even change the coolant or oil. He
reckons one of the neighbours would report you if you tried. And this
is in England.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I once heard the story of a new town in Florida - called Celebration. It
had firm rules about grass height, no vans on drieways, no washing on lines
outside permitted times, etc. There was a rush of people to buy properties
because they had previously had their living environment blighted by those
who want to create a shanty town.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.236...

I once heard the story of a new town in Florida - called Celebration. It
had firm rules about grass height, no vans on drieways, no washing on lines
outside permitted times, etc.

And no dissing Mickey Mouse

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celebration,_Florida

michael adams

There was a rush of people to buy properties
because they had previously had their living environment blighted by those
who want to create a shanty town.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/07/2015 13:15, Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:
Stephen wrote:
[...]

I am aware of notices being given to Housing Association tenants, where
some were working on cars in what was close to a business.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:
I was talking to a bloke who said you're not even allowed to work on
your car where he lives - not even change the coolant or oil. He
reckons one of the neighbours would report you if you tried. And this
is in England.

You're not allowed to do any work on a car on the street - and in theory,
that would include washing it. If you rent a property, the landlord might
also reasonably ban it too on the driveway, etc due to the likely mess.

But neighbours can't stop you doing this on your own property. Unless
doing so as a business. Or noise etc - same as anything else.

--
*Vegetarians taste great*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:
I was talking to a bloke who said you're not even allowed to work on
your car where he lives - not even change the coolant or oil. He
reckons one of the neighbours would report you if you tried. And this
is in England.

You're not allowed to do any work on a car on the street - and in theory,
that would include washing it. If you rent a property, the landlord might
also reasonably ban it too on the driveway, etc due to the likely mess.

I forgot to mention that it's in a fairly posh residential estate. I
think you'd have to be brave to work on a car in the actual street :-)
He said something about someone's cat drinking anti-freeze, although I
don't remember if he said it had actually happened, or if it was
precautionary. Must have been an important cat, if it really did happen.

But neighbours can't stop you doing this on your own property. Unless
doing so as a business. Or noise etc - same as anything else.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:
I was talking to a bloke who said you're not even allowed to work on
your car where he lives - not even change the coolant or oil. He
reckons one of the neighbours would report you if you tried. And this
is in England.

You're not allowed to do any work on a car on the street - and in
theory, that would include washing it. If you rent a property, the
landlord might also reasonably ban it too on the driveway, etc due to
the likely mess.

I forgot to mention that it's in a fairly posh residential estate. I
think you'd have to be brave to work on a car in the actual street :-)

I do. No option in this part of London - very few indeed have off road
parking.

Of course if it's a newish estate, it might be a condition in the deeds.
But most newish posh estates would have garages, so how would neighbours
know what you do? ;-)

He said something about someone's cat drinking anti-freeze, although I
don't remember if he said it had actually happened, or if it was
precautionary. Must have been an important cat, if it really did happen.

Tell whoever owned the cat to keep it on his own property, then. ;-)

But neighbours can't stop you doing this on your own property. Unless
doing so as a business. Or noise etc - same as anything else.

--
*Eat well, stay fit, die anyway

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

My cut off time for DIY was 9:00pm whilst I was working, mind you we lived on a main road near traffic lights and it was difficult to compete with the traffic noise, the late brakers and the ******s with a boot full of speakers who insisted on letting everyone know the crap music they listened to. However, if I had a particularly noisey job on, warning the neighbours always met with approval as long as I stuck to my cut off times and did not make too much of a habit of it. Although the house was a semi, I was fortunate not to have any party wall issues as he was in Abu Dhabi most of the time.

I do have some friends who work in the building trade who work overnight especially on refurbishment projects in commercial properties where business needs to take place during the day. So I wonder how these rules apply in those circumstances?

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:
I was talking to a bloke who said you're not even allowed to work on
your car where he lives - not even change the coolant or oil. He
reckons one of the neighbours would report you if you tried. And this
is in England.

You're not allowed to do any work on a car on the street - and in theory,
that would include washing it. If you rent a property, the landlord might
also reasonably ban it too on the driveway, etc due to the likely mess.

In theory. I've changed brake lines and all sorts out in the road.
However it was an ex council estate and people are pretty open minded
about rust buckets on jacks in the road.

But neighbours can't stop you doing this on your own property. Unless
doing so as a business. Or noise etc - same as anything else.

Mind you the lease on your flat (even if it comes with an allocated
space) might.

However, whether anyone cares depends on whether you **** anyone off.
Noone is going to care if you change a wheel or even the oil (as long as
you don't spill it everywhere).

What they don't want is someone running a trade from their parking spot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message

Well that ****s up the AA/RAC etc then:-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 24 Jul 2015 20:44:00 +0100, ARW wrote:

You're not allowed to do any work on a car on the street

Well that ****s up the AA/RAC etc then:-)

Ha, how many faults on a modern car can be fixed at the roadside?
Lets see what I have had:

Computer deflates suspension and refuses to play. Recovered to
garage, faulty ride height sensor.

Loud clattering noise from engine, lack of power. Recovered to
garage,
knackered injector seal and injector.

Driving along engines just dies, strange combination of warning
lights. Refuses to start. Recovered to garage, dead ECU.

There's another air suspension fault in there some where as well.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/07/2015 01:00, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 24 Jul 2015 20:44:00 +0100, ARW wrote:

You're not allowed to do any work on a car on the street

Well that ****s up the AA/RAC etc then:-)

Ha, how many faults on a modern car can be fixed at the roadside?
Lets see what I have had:

Computer deflates suspension and refuses to play. Recovered to
garage, faulty ride height sensor.

Loud clattering noise from engine, lack of power. Recovered to
garage,
knackered injector seal and injector.

Driving along engines just dies, strange combination of warning
lights. Refuses to start. Recovered to garage, dead ECU.

There's another air suspension fault in there some where as well.

And people thought the hydropneumatic citroen suspension was iffy :-)

For the original question : Fuel, flat battery and punctures are the
obvious ones. Though it would be pretty dim for somebody to complain
about fixing any of them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
JHY JHY is offline

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Fri, 24 Jul 2015 20:44:00 +0100, ARW wrote:

You're not allowed to do any work on a car on the street

Well that ****s up the AA/RAC etc then:-)

Ha, how many faults on a modern car can be fixed at the roadside?

More than you might think.

Lets see what I have had:

Computer deflates suspension and refuses to play. Recovered to
garage, faulty ride height sensor.

Loud clattering noise from engine, lack of power. Recovered to
garage,
knackered injector seal and injector.

Driving along engines just dies, strange combination of warning
lights. Refuses to start. Recovered to garage, dead ECU.

There's another air suspension fault in there some where as well.

I've had a battery die and fixed that myself by getting my
mate to give me a lift to the suppliers of new batteries.

Another mate of mine has just bought a car off ebay. They
showed up at the seller's and couldn't get the car to start.
They got the price knocked back from the original $2K to
just $500, brought it home on a car trailer, and then he
did 'something electronic' to it and it works fine. I got
that story second hand yesterday from another mate
and haven't had a chance to ask him what he actually
did with that Hyundai Sonata or Santa Fe, not clear
which it is yet, haven't bothered to walk over and check.
The road service could certainly have done the same thing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/07/2015 01:00, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 24 Jul 2015 20:44:00 +0100, ARW wrote:

You're not allowed to do any work on a car on the street

Well that ****s up the AA/RAC etc then:-)

Ha, how many faults on a modern car can be fixed at the roadside?
Lets see what I have had:

Computer deflates suspension and refuses to play. Recovered to
garage, faulty ride height sensor.

Loud clattering noise from engine, lack of power. Recovered to
garage,
knackered injector seal and injector.

Driving along engines just dies, strange combination of warning
lights. Refuses to start. Recovered to garage, dead ECU.

There's another air suspension fault in there some where as well.

Hmm, in about 1.5 million miles I have had the following faults that
stopped my own car..

Nothing although I did have to drive one home with a broken clutch cable.

In the other half a million driving someone else's car I have had..

Two total clutch failures and undrivable ,
one start stop that would start again, once due to a broken alternator
belt and one faulty clutch actuator,
one total brake failure.

None of which the AA would have been able to fix because they just don't
have the parts for foreign cars.

The foreign cars appear to break down far more often in my case, the
ones assembled in Britain have broken down except for the clutch cable
and that I knew was faulty but hadn't got around to fixing it, in fact
the wd40 I used to try and free it up my have made it worse before it
broke. It appears WD40 is not a good lubricant.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...

On Fri, 24 Jul 2015 20:44:00 +0100, ARW wrote:

You're not allowed to do any work on a car on the street

Well that ****s up the AA/RAC etc then:-)

Ha, how many faults on a modern car can be fixed at the roadside?
Lets see what I have had:

Computer deflates suspension and refuses to play. Recovered to
garage, faulty ride height sensor.

Loud clattering noise from engine, lack of power. Recovered to
garage,
knackered injector seal and injector.

Driving along engines just dies, strange combination of warning
lights. Refuses to start. Recovered to garage, dead ECU.

There's another air suspension fault in there some where as well.

Buy a better car. Yours sucks big time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 24 Jul 2015 13:15:20 +0100, Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:

I was talking to a bloke who said you're not even allowed to work on
your car where he lives - not even change the coolant or oil. He
reckons one of the neighbours would report you if you tried. And this
is in England.

Sounds like Frinton-on-sea.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bob Eager
writes
On Fri, 24 Jul 2015 13:15:20 +0100, Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:

I was talking to a bloke who said you're not even allowed to work on
your car where he lives - not even change the coolant or oil. He
reckons one of the neighbours would report you if you tried. And this
is in England.

Sounds like Frinton-on-sea.

Harwich for the continent
Frinton for the incontinent ...

--
Graeme

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Stephen" wrote in message
According to the local council:

"All DIY/Construction noise must be carried out during the hours of
8.00am to 5.00pm Monday to Friday and 9.00am till 1.00pm on Saturdays and
none at all on Sundays."

The rules regarding construction noise would make sense for businesses
such as builders, sparkies, plumbers and carpenters/joiners etc.

I cannot remember any complaints when I added new sockets and lighting at
the morgue on a night shift.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , ARW
writes

I cannot remember any complaints when I added new sockets and lighting
at the morgue on a night shift.

You were working in the dead of night :-)
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/07/2015 07:51, News wrote:
In message , ARW
writes

I cannot remember any complaints when I added new sockets and lighting
at the morgue on a night shift.

You were working in the dead of night :-)

Sounds like a dead interesting shift... :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 25 Jul 2015 14:30:25 +0100, Stephen wrote:

On 25/07/2015 07:51, News wrote:
In message , ARW
writes

I cannot remember any complaints when I added new sockets and lighting
at the morgue on a night shift.

You were working in the dead of night :-)

Sounds like a dead interesting shift... :-)

Depends on ones, er, 'interests'.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
"Stephen" wrote in message ...
According to the local council:

"All DIY/Construction noise must be carried out during the hours of 8.00am to 5.00pm
Monday to Friday and 9.00am till 1.00pm on Saturdays and none at all on Sundays."

The rules regarding construction noise would make sense for businesses such as
builders, sparkies, plumbers and carpenters/joiners etc.

I cannot remember any complaints when I added new sockets and lighting at the morgue on
a night shift.

Just so long as you remembered to switch the fridges back on.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"michael adams" wrote in message

"ARW" wrote in message
"Stephen" wrote in message
According to the local council:

"All DIY/Construction noise must be carried out during the hours of
8.00am to 5.00pm Monday to Friday and 9.00am till 1.00pm on Saturdays
and none at all on Sundays."

The rules regarding construction noise would make sense for businesses
such as builders, sparkies, plumbers and carpenters/joiners etc.

I cannot remember any complaints when I added new sockets and lighting at
the morgue on a night shift.

Just so long as you remembered to switch the fridges back on.

I have worked in worse places.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen Wrote in message:
[...]

IME necessary noise such as lawn mowing or occasional DIY is far
easier to tolerate than loud music or car racing.

Phil
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, July 24, 2015 at 12:29:17 PM UTC+1, Stephen wrote:
According to the local council:

"All DIY/Construction noise must be carried out during the hours of
8.00am to 5.00pm Monday to Friday and 9.00am till 1.00pm on Saturdays
and none at all on Sundays."

Here in Cambridge the city council merely says:

"if you intend to carry out DIY, please inform your neighbours in advance. Avoid DIY in the early morning or evening when neighbours may be trying to sleep."

Robert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"michael newport" wrote in message
On Fri, 24 Jul 2015 12:29:29 +0100, Stephen
wrote:

[...]

The whole idea of set hours is rather academic in any case nowadays,
with maybe more people having to work shifts.

How about those armies of "driveway pavers" that pollute for hundreds
of yards with those soddin' angle grinders. Someone local had his
entire back garden paved and it took 5 weeks, 08:00 to 17:00 ++ every
day! It really ought to be illegal to make that much noise pollution -
but hey, noise pollution is not real pollution, right!

The same sort of thing applies to "tree surgeons" who park their shredders
in residential streets - often in the road backing onto the
customers back garden, rather than the customers own road,
and grind away for hours on end. Although for health and safety
reasons its noticeable that most of them are at least supplied with ear
defenders. Rather than taking the stuff away and grinding it down outside
their own premises, one of their director's houses maybe, or on an
industrial estate somewhere.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7/24/2015 1:27 PM, michael adams wrote:

The same sort of thing applies to "tree surgeons" who park their shredders
in residential streets - often in the road backing onto the
customers back garden, rather than the customers own road,
and grind away for hours on end. Although for health and safety

IME they can go through a large tree in relatively little time...

reasons its noticeable that most of them are at least supplied with ear
defenders. Rather than taking the stuff away and grinding it down outside
their own premises, one of their director's houses maybe, or on an
industrial estate somewhere.

Not a very practical solution though is it...

You would be complaining about all the coming and going of lorries

Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 7/24/2015 1:27 PM, michael adams wrote:

The same sort of thing applies to "tree surgeons" who park their shredders
in residential streets - often in the road backing onto the
customers back garden, rather than the customers own road,
and grind away for hours on end. Although for health and safety

IME they can go through a large tree in relatively little time...

There we'll have to agree to differ on that one then. IME it can
take a whole day to take down a large tree, saw up the branches
and the trunk, carry it all through to the road and put the former
through the chipper. That's 8 hours of otherwise avoidable noise
which can be heard streets away in all directions.

reasons its noticeable that most of them are at least supplied with ear
defenders. Rather than taking the stuff away and grinding it down outside
their own premises, one of their director's houses maybe, or on an
industrial estate somewhere.

Not a very practical solution though is it...

You would be complaining about all the coming and going of lorries loading up branches
instead then!

Not really. Throwing branches onto the backs of a succession
of lorries makes far less noise than feeding them into a shredder
which can be heard four or five streets away in all directions.

Although its obviously much cheaper for the operators
to use the chipper.

michael adams

Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

michael adams wrote
John Rumm wrote
michael adams wrote

The same sort of thing applies to "tree surgeons" who park their
shredders in residential streets - often in the road backing onto the
customers back garden, rather than the customers own road,
and grind away for hours on end. Although for health and safety

IME they can go through a large tree in relatively little time...

There we'll have to agree to differ on that one then.

Nope.

IME it can take a whole day to take down a large tree, saw up the branches
and the trunk, carry it all through to the road and put the former through
the chipper.

Didn’t take anything like that long when they did
that with any of my neighbours trees or one of mine.

And the one of mine was a ****ing great tree too.

That's 8 hours of otherwise avoidable noise

Bull****. You'd still have the noise of the chainsaws
and whatever they use to get the ****ing great logs
onto the trucks and the noise of the trucks coming
and going.

which can be heard streets away in all directions.

Same with the chainsaws and whatever they use to put
the ****ing great logs onto the trucks and the trucks.

reasons its noticeable that most of them are at least supplied with ear
defenders. Rather than taking the stuff away and grinding it down
outside their own premises, one of their director's houses maybe, or on
an industrial estate somewhere.

Not a very practical solution though is it...

You would be complaining about all the coming and going of lorries

Not really.

Yes, really.

Throwing branches onto the backs of a succession of lorries

Pity about the chainsaws used to cut them off.

makes far less noise than feeding them into a shredder which can be heard
four or five streets away in all directions.

Although its obviously much cheaper for the operators to use the chipper.

You've ****ed that up completely too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
michael adams wrote

Didn’t take anything like that long when they did
that with any of my neighbours trees or one of mine.

Of course it didn't. They just chop them off at the bottom
and the worst that can happen is the odd crushed kangaroo.

You silly boy !

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

Bull****. You'd still have the noise of the chainsaws

Chainsaws cut branches in 4-6 ft lengths in the open
air.

Chippers and shredders cut branches in 1/2 inch lengths
inside an enclosed chute which amplifies the noise
So thats a minimum of 96 times as many cuts, which are
possibly twice as loud as a result of the ampification
which makes 192 times as much noise.

HTH

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7/24/2015 7:58 PM, michael adams wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 7/24/2015 1:27 PM, michael adams wrote:

The same sort of thing applies to "tree surgeons" who park their shredders
in residential streets - often in the road backing onto the
customers back garden, rather than the customers own road,
and grind away for hours on end. Although for health and safety

IME they can go through a large tree in relatively little time...

There we'll have to agree to differ on that one then. IME it can
take a whole day to take down a large tree, saw up the branches
and the trunk, carry it all through to the road and put the former
through the chipper. That's 8 hours of otherwise avoidable noise
which can be heard streets away in all directions.

Well I had a *very* large black poplar tree taken down last year... it
probably took five hours in total to take it down (since it was close to
another house - the bits had to be roped down rather than dropped). My
neighbour (a tree surgeon) drove his chipper[1] into the garden so there
was not far to carry the stuff. Total time spent actually chipping was
probably less than an hour in total. The noise was probably less
intrusive than that of the chainsaws.

[1] A fairly serious affair, that he forked out about £26K for. It will
shred a 12' long branch in three or four seconds.

reasons its noticeable that most of them are at least supplied with ear
defenders. Rather than taking the stuff away and grinding it down outside
their own premises, one of their director's houses maybe, or on an
industrial estate somewhere.

Not a very practical solution though is it...

You would be complaining about all the coming and going of lorries loading up branches
instead then!

Not really. Throwing branches onto the backs of a succession
of lorries makes far less noise than feeding them into a shredder
which can be heard four or five streets away in all directions.

Although its obviously much cheaper for the operators
to use the chipper.

Can't say I found it an issue personally.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, July 27, 2015 at 3:17:11 AM UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 7/24/2015 7:58 PM, michael adams wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

About 15 years ago we had a copse of about 140 Poplars which had got to about 50ft high. I though them too close to the house so we had them removed. Took less than a day. They asked if I wanted the chippings for compost so I got a large pile left. They removed most of the trunks in 8ft lengths which led me to believe they had a commercial value, though they denied that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Jonno" wrote in message
Stephen scribbled

According to the local council:

"All DIY/Construction noise must be carried out during the hours of
8.00am to 5.00pm Monday to Friday and 9.00am till 1.00pm on Saturdays
and none at all on Sundays."

A load of ********.

+1

--