Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Powering a mains radio from a lighting circuit.. Permissible?

As title really, using a round pin 5a plug & socket?

Would it cause bother on a periodic inspection or some survey or other further down the line?

TIA

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JimK wrote:
As title really, using a round pin 5a plug & socket?

Would it cause bother on a periodic inspection or some survey or other
further down the line?

TIA

Jim K

"It was like that when we moved here". ;-)

Cant see why there should be a problem with it. Perfectly acceptable for a
table lamp with a switched feed. Dunno if you're thinking of a permanently
live unswitched feed.

Or, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301368271756? ;-)

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , JimK
writes
As title really, using a round pin 5a plug & socket?

Would it cause bother on a periodic inspection or some survey or other
further down the line?

A surveyor certainly would not check the electrical sockets, and which
circuit fed them. Don't worry about it.

We moved into a new house in 1954, and there was a special socket above
the mantelpiece, for a clock. Memory suggests that was fed from the
lighting ring.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/07/15 16:03, News wrote:
In message , JimK
writes
As title really, using a round pin 5a plug & socket?

Would it cause bother on a periodic inspection or some survey or other
further down the line?

A surveyor certainly would not check the electrical sockets, and which
circuit fed them. Don't worry about it.

We moved into a new house in 1954, and there was a special socket above
the mantelpiece, for a clock. Memory suggests that was fed from the
lighting ring.

2A sockets and indeed that clock socket you mention are designed to be
fed from the lighting circuits. So personally, I'd stick a 2A in and if
asked it's for a standard lamp.

If you happen to plug a radio in, so be it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
JimK wrote:
As title really, using a round pin 5a plug & socket?

Would it cause bother on a periodic inspection or some survey or other
further down the line?

Perfectly acceptable to have a 5 amp 3 pin plug and socket on a lighting
circuit for say a table light so it can be switched from the door. What
you actually plug into it doesn't much matter, provided the current draw
is within the limit.

--
*When chemists die, they barium.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 21 July 2015 14:55:33 UTC+1, JimK wrote:
As title really, using a round pin 5a plug & socket?

Would it cause bother on a periodic inspection or some survey or other further down the line?

Its fully compliant

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

/"It was like that when we moved here". ;-)

Cant see why there should be a problem with it. Perfectly acceptable for a
table lamp with a switched feed. Dunno if you're thinking of a permanently
live unswitched feed. /Q

Mmm ideally would be permanently live to allow radio function independent of light circuit. Thought I'd nick it from the lighting loop...

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
JimK wrote:
As title really, using a round pin 5a plug & socket?

Would it cause bother on a periodic inspection or some survey or other
further down the line?

Perfectly acceptable to have a 5 amp 3 pin plug and socket on a lighting
circuit for say a table light so it can be switched from the door. What
you actually plug into it doesn't much matter, provided the current draw
is within the limit.

It would not bother me if it was a 13A socket as long as it was labelled up
as "Radio only"

I have fiited several TV amp power points from the lighting circuit but used
13A sockets as the amp had a wall wart - same for plinth lights.

BTW switched 5A lighting sockets are making a comeback on a lot of the work
I do.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

JimK wrote:
As title really, using a round pin 5a plug & socket?

Would it cause bother on a periodic inspection or some survey or other
further down the line?

Perfectly acceptable to have a 5 amp 3 pin plug and socket on a lighting
circuit for say a table light so it can be switched from the door. What
you actually plug into it doesn't much matter, provided the current draw
is within the limit.

It would not bother me if it was a 13A socket as long as it was labelled up
as "Radio only"

I have fiited several TV amp power points from the lighting circuit but used
13A sockets as the amp had a wall wart - same for plinth lights.

perfectly effective, but not compliant

BTW switched 5A lighting sockets are making a comeback on a lot of the work
I do.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

So what are you asking here? I've used a clock point for this as well as a
bayonet connector in the past. You just hide it when you are getting
inspected.
The point I'd worry about is fusing in case the psu or the cable whent
phut.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"JimK" wrote in message
As title really, using a round pin 5a plug & socket?

Would it cause bother on a periodic inspection or some survey or other
further down the line?

TIA

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

/It would not bother me if it was a 13A socket as long as it was labelled up
as "Radio only"

I have fiited several TV amp power points from the lighting circuit but used
13A sockets as the amp had a wall wart - same for plinth lights.

BTW switched 5A lighting sockets are making a comeback on a lot of the work
I do. /Q

Thanks all.

Just realised that the 5A plugtops don't have fuses in... Presume it all relies on the lighting circuit mcb/fuse?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian-Gaff wrote:
So what are you asking here? I've used a clock point for this as well as
a bayonet connector in the past. You just hide it when you are getting
inspected.
The point I'd worry about is fusing in case the psu or the cable whent
phut.

Pukka clock connectors had a fuse in the plug - same as 13 amp.

ISTR reading about 15 amp three pin plugs with fuses too - would likely be
possible to make a 5 amp with one too, if it hasn't already been done.

--
*Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Brian-Gaff wrote:
So what are you asking here? I've used a clock point for this as well as
a bayonet connector in the past. You just hide it when you are getting
inspected.
The point I'd worry about is fusing in case the psu or the cable whent
phut.

Pukka clock connectors had a fuse in the plug - same as 13 amp.

ISTR reading about 15 amp three pin plugs with fuses too - would likely be
possible to make a 5 amp with one too, if it hasn't already been done.

BBC RD used 5A 3 pin fused plugs in the 1960s/70s. I think I have the odd
one somewhere from when the labs were rewired to 13A.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

In article ,
Brian-Gaff wrote:
So what are you asking here? I've used a clock point for this as well as
a bayonet connector in the past. You just hide it when you are getting
inspected.
The point I'd worry about is fusing in case the psu or the cable whent
phut.

Pukka clock connectors had a fuse in the plug - same as 13 amp.

ISTR reading about 15 amp three pin plugs with fuses too - would likely be
possible to make a 5 amp with one too, if it hasn't already been done.

There's a YouTube video that shows an old three pin 15A plug, using a
fuse as one of the "pins"....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/07/2015 11:33, JimK wrote:

Just realised that the 5A plugtops don't have fuses in... Presume it all relies on the lighting circuit mcb/fuse?

Some do -
http://cpc.farnell.com/1/1/867-mk-el...-pin-plug.html
.. Though at 10 quid each I doubt if many sell.

Though the fuse is somewhat superfluous, assuming the socket is
installed on a circuit with a 5A fuse or 6A mcb.

--
Mike Clarke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Lee
In article , Brian-Gaff
wrote:
So what are you asking here? I've used a clock point for this as well
as a bayonet connector in the past. You just hide it when you are
getting inspected. The point I'd worry about is fusing in case the psu
or the cable whent phut.

Pukka clock connectors had a fuse in the plug - same as 13 amp.

ISTR reading about 15 amp three pin plugs with fuses too - would likely
be possible to make a 5 amp with one too, if it hasn't already been
done.

There's a YouTube video that shows an old three pin 15A plug, using a
fuse as one of the "pins"....

Yes, we had those at TV Centre for protected supplies. Made by Dorman &
Smith (D&S).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Lee wrote:
There's a YouTube video that shows an old three pin 15A plug, using a
fuse as one of the "pins"....

I'd guess that is actually a D&S, which is a 13 amp variant, for use on
the same 13 amp ring circuits. At one time, there wasn't just the one
design of plug and socket

Luckily, the D&S fell out of favour. It was a lethal design. Much used by
local councils in an attempt to electrocute their problem tenants.

--
*Be nice to your kids. They'll choose your nursing home.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Lee wrote:
There's a YouTube video that shows an old three pin 15A plug, using a
fuse as one of the "pins"....

I'd guess that is actually a D&S, which is a 13 amp variant, for use on
the same 13 amp ring circuits. At one time, there wasn't just the one
design of plug and socket

Luckily, the D&S fell out of favour. It was a lethal design. Much used by
local councils in an attempt to electrocute their problem tenants.

certainly in the'60s you could buy the fuses in Selfridges. That was when
it was a real department store.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

In article ,
Lee wrote:
There's a YouTube video that shows an old three pin 15A plug, using a
fuse as one of the "pins"....

I'd guess that is actually a D&S, which is a 13 amp variant, for use on
the same 13 amp ring circuits. At one time, there wasn't just the one
design of plug and socket

Luckily, the D&S fell out of favour. It was a lethal design. Much used by
local councils in an attempt to electrocute their problem tenants.

Ah yes, it was 13A. Link to Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLnIn8y75WE

Has a lot of other videos that may be of interest.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote in message
On Tuesday, 21 July 2015 14:55:33 UTC+1, JimK wrote:
As title really, using a round pin 5a plug & socket?

Would it cause bother on a periodic inspection or some survey or other
further down the line?

Its fully compliant

Not if the manufacturer of the radio says you have to use a 3A fuse.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 22 July 2015 19:38:59 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
nt wrote in message
On Tuesday, 21 July 2015 14:55:33 UTC+1, JimK wrote:

As title really, using a round pin 5a plug & socket?

Would it cause bother on a periodic inspection or some survey or other
further down the line?

Its fully compliant

Not if the manufacturer of the radio says you have to use a 3A fuse.

Any such appliance is either non-compliant or such advice given with it would be wrong. All new appliances are required to be safe on a 13A fuse.

If 13A sockets on a lighting circuit is compliant, what's to stop one putting an entire floor of 13A sockets on a 6A 1mm2 radial?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Jul 2015 15:06:57 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Brian-Gaff wrote:
So what are you asking here? I've used a clock point for this as well as
a bayonet connector in the past. You just hide it when you are getting
inspected.
The point I'd worry about is fusing in case the psu or the cable whent
phut.

Pukka clock connectors had a fuse in the plug - same as 13 amp.

I don't think I have seen an unused clock connector, the square MK
ones certainty had one, and this Wylex round one has two, doubling as
pins. Eat your heart out D&S.

http://www.fam-oud.nl/~plugsocket/GB...ctor_parts.jpg

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Jul 2015 19:38:54 +0100, "ARW"
wrote:

wrote in message
On Tuesday, 21 July 2015 14:55:33 UTC+1, JimK wrote:
As title really, using a round pin 5a plug & socket?

Would it cause bother on a periodic inspection or some survey or other
further down the line?

Its fully compliant

Not if the manufacturer of the radio says you have to use a 3A fuse.

I always like to comply with manufactures instructions but sometimes
they don't make it easy.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/g3zvt/8571874309/

(Yes I know it's not connected directly to the mains)

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

nt wrote in message
On Tuesday, 21 July 2015 14:55:33 UTC+1, JimK wrote:

As title really, using a round pin 5a plug & socket?

Would it cause bother on a periodic inspection or some survey or other
further down the line?

Its fully compliant

Not if the manufacturer of the radio says you have to use a 3A fuse.

Any such appliance is either non-compliant or such advice given with it
would be wrong. All new appliances are required to be safe on a 13A fuse.

Name that law and stick it in the Wiki then.

If 13A sockets on a lighting circuit is compliant, what's to stop one
putting an entire floor of 13A sockets on a 6A 1mm2 radial?

Nothing if the sockets are correctly labelled up.

--
Adam