James W

Default Using a mains powered lamp in a lighting circuit

Hi

There is a little nook (or maybe a cranny)in my house that needs
lighting up. A little idea I have had is to wire a bog standard shop
bought mains powered lamp into the right lighting circuit.

Is there any problem with taking off the plug, and fitting the lamp
onto a lighting curcuit? I can't see one with a normal lamp, but
possibly with a mains powered halogen desk light for example?

Thanks in advance

James
The Natural Philosopher

James W wrote:

Hi

There is a little nook (or maybe a cranny)in my house that needs
lighting up. A little idea I have had is to wire a bog standard shop
bought mains powered lamp into the right lighting circuit.

Is there any problem with taking off the plug, and fitting the lamp
onto a lighting curcuit? I can't see one with a normal lamp, but
possibly with a mains powered halogen desk light for example?

Don't see why not. I have rewired loads of standard lamps and table
lamps with 5A plugs to fit my secondary lighting circuits...

Thanks in advance

James

Dave Plowman

In article ,
James W wrote:
There is a little nook (or maybe a cranny)in my house that needs
lighting up. A little idea I have had is to wire a bog standard shop
bought mains powered lamp into the right lighting circuit.

Best way to do this is to fit a 2 amp 3 pin socket to the lighting
circuit. I don't think the sheds stock them, but any wholesaler will. They
are the same size as a one gang 13 amp socket.

Is there any problem with taking off the plug, and fitting the lamp
onto a lighting curcuit? I can't see one with a normal lamp, but
possibly with a mains powered halogen desk light for example?

You could do this with a halogen low voltage desk light too ok - but if
you have a dimmer on the circuit it might have to be changed for a
suitable one as the transformer will be an inductive load.

--
*If you lived in your car, you'd be home by now *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Harry Bloomfield

On 08/01/2004 James W opined:-
There is a little nook (or maybe a cranny)in my house that needs
lighting up. A little idea I have had is to wire a bog standard shop
bought mains powered lamp into the right lighting circuit.

Is there any problem with taking off the plug, and fitting the lamp
onto a lighting curcuit? I can't see one with a normal lamp, but
possibly with a mains powered halogen desk light for example?

The usual way to do this would be to wire from the lighting circuit, to
a socket close to where you want the light. A 5amp 3pin plug and socket
is the one most often used for this purpose.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT)...

Remove the 'NOSPAM' in my email address to reply.

Free Amateur Radio Courses:-
http://www.ukradioamateur.org

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Frank Davis wrote:
P.S. I have found it very hard to find a source for round pin plugs

Any electrical wholesaler should stock them - TLC do. Think you may find 5
amp types in the larger B&Qs etc. I prefer 2 amp as they are neater

--
*Suicidal twin kills sister by mistake.

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Owain

"Frank Davis" wrote
| P.S. I have found it very hard to find a source for round pin plugs

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TLPT2.html 2A
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TLPT5.html 5A

Or your local electrical factors. NB round pin plugs are now supposed to
have sleeved pins as well.

Owain