Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Adhesive for slate tiles on outside doorstep?

I need to replace some slate floor tiles on to an exterior concrete front
doorstep. Can't remember what I used originally (about 10 years ago!) but
they came loose in short order and I stashed them away until I got round to
sorting it out - and that particular tuit has just come home to roost!

It's actually for a rental property which I'm tarting up for sale, so a
reasonably quick'n dirty method would be preferred TBH! Anything
recommended from Screwfix or Toolstation? Is there a suitable glue-in-a-
tube I could use, rather than mixing up tubs of powder etc?

Thanks

--
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Lobster wrote:
I need to replace some slate floor tiles on to an exterior concrete
front doorstep. Can't remember what I used originally (about 10 years
ago!) but they came loose in short order and I stashed them away until
I got round to sorting it out - and that particular tuit has just come
home to roost!

It's actually for a rental property which I'm tarting up for sale, so a
reasonably quick'n dirty method would be preferred TBH! Anything
recommended from Screwfix or Toolstation? Is there a suitable glue-in-a-
tube I could use, rather than mixing up tubs of powder etc?

Think most decent exterior stone to stone adhesives will be a variation on
mortar. So most probably a powder you mix with water. Most decent DIY
stores will sell it. Look for a tile adhesive suitable for exterior use.

--
*7up is good for you, signed snow white*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lobster" wrote in message
. 222...
I need to replace some slate floor tiles on to an exterior concrete front
doorstep. Can't remember what I used originally (about 10 years ago!) but
they came loose in short order and I stashed them away until I got round
sorting it out - and that particular tuit has just come home to roost!

It's actually for a rental property which I'm tarting up for sale, so a
reasonably quick'n dirty method would be preferred TBH! Anything
recommended from Screwfix or Toolstation? Is there a suitable glue-in-a-
tube I could use, rather than mixing up tubs of powder etc?

Slate's not suitable for this, it has a tendency to come away in thin
sheets, which will leave one thin piece stuck down to the step and the rest
will be stashed away for another ten years.

There's plenty of exterior tiles, quarry tiles would probably be best.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 Jul 2015, "Phil L" grunted:

"Lobster" wrote in message
. 222...
I need to replace some slate floor tiles on to an exterior concrete
front
doorstep. Can't remember what I used originally (about 10 years
ago!) but they came loose in short order and I stashed them away
until I got round to
sorting it out - and that particular tuit has just come home to
roost!

It's actually for a rental property which I'm tarting up for sale, so
a reasonably quick'n dirty method would be preferred TBH! Anything
recommended from Screwfix or Toolstation? Is there a suitable
glue-in-a- tube I could use, rather than mixing up tubs of powder
etc?

Slate's not suitable for this, it has a tendency to come away in thin
sheets, which will leave one thin piece stuck down to the step and the
rest will be stashed away for another ten years.

OK, interesting. Even those sold specifically as floor tiles, then? I
think I'll just reuse the ones I've TBH, as they aree already cut to size
etc and as I mentioned, am just tarting the place up for sale anyway.

Thanks to everyone else for the Gripfill advice - am off to Toolstation!

--
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/07/2015 15:27, Phil L wrote:

"Lobster" wrote in message
. 222...
I need to replace some slate floor tiles on to an exterior concrete front
doorstep. Can't remember what I used originally (about 10 years ago!) but
they came loose in short order and I stashed them away until I got round
sorting it out - and that particular tuit has just come home to roost!

It's actually for a rental property which I'm tarting up for sale, so a
reasonably quick'n dirty method would be preferred TBH! Anything
recommended from Screwfix or Toolstation? Is there a suitable glue-in-a-
tube I could use, rather than mixing up tubs of powder etc?

Slate's not suitable for this, it has a tendency to come away in thin
sheets, which will leave one thin piece stuck down to the step and the rest
will be stashed away for another ten years...

That depends upon the density and quality of the slate. You will find
plenty of slate successfully used as steps around the Welsh slate mining
areas.

--
Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:

I need to replace some slate floor tiles on to an exterior concrete front
doorstep.

Gripfill.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/07/2015 15:05, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sat, 18 Jul 2015 13:30:42 GMT, Lobster
wrote:

I need to replace some slate floor tiles on to an exterior concrete front
doorstep. Can't remember what I used originally (about 10 years ago!) but
they came loose in short order and I stashed them away until I got round to
sorting it out - and that particular tuit has just come home to roost!

It's actually for a rental property which I'm tarting up for sale, so a
reasonably quick'n dirty method would be preferred TBH! Anything
recommended from Screwfix or Toolstation? Is there a suitable glue-in-a-
tube I could use, rather than mixing up tubs of powder etc?

Thanks

Gripfill. Works for slates on the roof that come loose, so no reason
why it shouldn't work with slate on a step provided the slate is well
bedded and doesn't rock. Just wire-brush off any loose stuff from both
step and slate first.

+1. As it's outdoors I'd go for the "original" solvent based version
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I need to replace some slate floor tiles on to an exterior concrete front
doorstep. Can't remember what I used originally (about 10 years ago!) but
they came loose in short order and I stashed them away until I got round to
sorting it out - and that particular tuit has just come home to roost!

It's actually for a rental property which I'm tarting up for sale, so a
reasonably quick'n dirty method would be preferred TBH! Anything
recommended from Screwfix or Toolstation? Is there a suitable glue-in-a-
tube I could use, rather than mixing up tubs of powder etc?

Thanks

Gripfill. Works for slates on the roof that come loose, so no reason
why it shouldn't work with slate on a step provided the slate is well
bedded and doesn't rock. Just wire-brush off any loose stuff from both
step and slate first.

Is this a decent alternative to replacing or re-securing a slate
'properly' using straps/nails?

Just feels wrong . . .

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

My feeling too, but, about a year ago, I used Stixall to glue down a 4' high
x2' square angle iron bench to slabs, outside. It's still secure and has
been used for many jobs. Somehow I still don't really trust it.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away