Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Solar power calculations, please help!

According to:

http://www.fwi.co.uk/business/hampsh...ks-largest.htm

48 MW solar farm is being built.

No info on that page, as expected. Look at:

http://renewables-map.co.uk/details....Solar %20Farm

for more details:

Solar Panels: 50000
Capacity: 40 MW
Acreage: 200

More info:

200 acres = 80.9 hectares = 809,371.284 square metres.

40 MW from 809,371.284 square metres.

40,000,000 / 809,371.284 = 49.42 watts per square metre.

I am aware that this will be the avaerage over day and night, and over the year. I am aware that solar insolation is very variable. But 49 watts per square metre? Can that really be right? Is the 200 acres the site size, or the combined size of all the panels?

I assume I have calculated something wrong. Can any one help?

Thanks in advance,

David Paste.

Background:

A not-particularly-technologically-minded friend was pondering whether or not an electric train covered in PV panels would be viable. I said no, assuming an easy to calculate figure of 10 MW for a Eurostar (wikipedia has values ranging from 3.4 MW to 12.2 MW). I was assuming that the *avaerage* yearly insolation for the UK was 1kW per square metre, garnered from:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insolation

so for 10 MW, you'd need (10,000,000/1,000 = 10,000 square metres = 1 hectare = 2.47 acres of panels for one train.

A rough estimation for BR Class 373 on the Eurostar gives about 1,000 square metres of roof on a 20 car set. Or 1 MW at theoretical maximum. But it won't be, will it. Curved roof, adverse weather, panel efficiency, all of that.

solar power alan_m UK diy 5 June 14th 15 09:53 PM
O.T. Solar power. harry Home Repair 112 April 27th 11 06:09 PM
Solar Power Stu Fields Metalworking 127 July 31st 10 10:19 PM
Solar power Stu Fields Metalworking 68 July 24th 10 02:20 AM
Solar Heating / Wind Power / Solar Power / UK Grants [email protected] UK diy 112 April 6th 10 11:41 AM