Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT - Buying a house

In article , AnthonyL
scribeth thus
On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 08:45:31 +0100, stuart noble
wrote:

Solicitors. Much has been said about modern conveyancing firms. I
prefer a solicitor who has been in business and in the area for years.
He will know things. He will be aware of anything that is just an idea
at present, but may come to fruition later.

Everyone I know has used the same fixed price solicitors

http://brownssolicitors.co.uk/browns...outbrowns.aspx

Cheap, efficient, and you won't find them at lunch on completion day.
I've known removal lorries parked up in lay bys because some provincial
solicitor has screwed up on the big day.

Same price as mine. My sister used him and he stayed behind till 8pm
to make some arrangement with her.

Oooh! 'err missus;!...

Was it fun?....
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes

If you can't get insurance that indicates a serious problem with the
propetry not a place "needing a bit of work". Amongst other things it
means it's in a flood zone, has serious structural problems, close to
a quickly erroding coastline, etc.

Not necessarily. My brother is in the process of selling his house, and
the whole business is becoming a nightmare due to an insurance claim for
a damaged/collapsed drain at least ten years ago. To cut a long story
short, one back corner of the attached garage started to move, or
'subside'. Easily repaired, by rebuilding the drain. However, the word
subsidence in now on the property records, and he cannot change insurer,
as the first question new insurers ask is any history of subsidence? Yes
but ... no buts sir, phone down.

To sell, he has to obtain a certificate from his current insurer,
confirming they will continue to insure in the name of the new owner, at
almost any rate they care to pluck out of the air.

He wishes now, with hindsight, he had paid for the original repair
himself, and not contacted the insurers.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 18 July 2015 18:57:45 UTC+1, News wrote:
In message o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes

If you can't get insurance that indicates a serious problem with the
propetry not a place "needing a bit of work". Amongst other things it
means it's in a flood zone, has serious structural problems, close to
a quickly erroding coastline, etc.

Not necessarily. My brother is in the process of selling his house, and

it indicates a problem, but for some of us within the realm of diyable. Certainly for the occasional weekend diyers its well beyond them.

the whole business is becoming a nightmare due to an insurance claim for
a damaged/collapsed drain at least ten years ago. To cut a long story
short, one back corner of the attached garage started to move, or
'subside'. Easily repaired, by rebuilding the drain. However, the word
subsidence in now on the property records, and he cannot change insurer,
as the first question new insurers ask is any history of subsidence? Yes
but ... no buts sir, phone down.

To sell, he has to obtain a certificate from his current insurer,
confirming they will continue to insure in the name of the new owner, at
almost any rate they care to pluck out of the air.

He wishes now, with hindsight, he had paid for the original repair
himself, and not contacted the insurers.

I came to the conclusion that was true for just about all insurable events. The premiums asked for on properties with a history of issues just don't make sense. I expect they charge so much because mortgage payers are effectively trapped.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 18/07/15 08:40, Tim Watts wrote:
On 17/07/15 23:29, DJC wrote:
On 15/07/15 09:18, AnthonyL wrote:
For a variety of reasons I've got to being a pensioner and have never
bought a house through an agent in the UK.

I've just had an offer accepted on what appears to be a well presented
and maintained 1960's extended (floor level only) bungalow.

Yes there are lots of websites but I'd appreciate some of this groups
experiences especially with solicitors and surveys plus anything else
you'd do differently if you had known what you know now.

Three fallen through sales, two purchases that fell through, six offers
made, over thirty properties viewed; I've learned a lot these two years
past.

Do as much research as you can, ideally before making an offer, before
instructing solicitors etc.

There's a new problem - smaller "affordable" properties like flats are
getting snapped up on the first day of marketing.

So you are up against people who steam in with an offer and either won't
do much checking or will drop the deal if they find something later.

This looks like it is going to encourage people to make "weak" offers
(with half an intent to back out) just to secure their place in the
process.

Oh, I know all about that at first hand.
Sept 2013 flat on market, 40 viewing in first 7 days, half a dozen
offers at asking price: buyer instructs solicitors but then goes away
and nothing happens for six weeks, then finally arrages survey and then
pulls out.
Oct 2014, go away for a month, leave agent to arrange ? viewings, come
back to several offers, accept offer at above asking price. Mortgage
approved, seems on trackj to exchange early in new year. Buyer's
solicitor doesn't make contact with mine until February, mid march the
buyer suddenly decides to have survey, end march buyer's mortgage offer
expires. And he wonders why I am not prepared to proceed if he gets a
new mortgage offer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Oh, I know all about that at first hand.
Sept 2013 flat on market, 40 viewing in first 7 days, half a dozen
offers at asking price: buyer instructs solicitors but then goes away
and nothing happens for six weeks, then finally arrages survey and then
pulls out.
Oct 2014, go away for a month, leave agent to arrange ? viewings, come
back to several offers, accept offer at above asking price. Mortgage
approved, seems on trackj to exchange early in new year. Buyer's
solicitor doesn't make contact with mine until February, mid march the
buyer suddenly decides to have survey, end march buyer's mortgage offer
expires. And he wonders why I am not prepared to proceed if he gets a
new mortgage offer.

Anyone think that whole system needs a BIG kick up the arse?...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 18 Jul 2015 22:28:48 +0100, tony sayer wrote:

[...]

I'm sure you would have done if they had paid say a 10%
non-returnable deposit with conditions that completion was to be
achieved within 3 months of the deposit being agreed and that the
deposit had to be paid withing 7 days of the agreeement (note 7 days
not 7 working days).

Anyone think that whole system needs a BIG kick up the arse?...

The system can work very well and move fairly quickly, the local
searches can be the slow bit. How ever to get things shifting you
have to be proactive and keep badgering your solicitor to progress
things and the buyers have to respond to requests in a timely manner.
I can't see why you can't place an expiry date on the Acceptance of
an offer.

"How to buy a house", "What is a mortgage?" etc are not taught at
school, so most people haven't a clue and expect their solicitor to
"just do it". But the solicitor only acts on instruction, no
instruction - no action.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

I find the simple solution is to leave the house on the market until
contracts are exchanged. Nothing like a bit of competition to sharpen
Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name

In article , Capitol
wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

which is why "sold" doesn't appear on the board until it really is. "Under
Offer" means just that.

--
West Horsley Village Hall
The Street, West Horsley, Surrey
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 19 Jul 2015 11:03:36 +0100, Capitol
wrote:

Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

As much a novice I am in this game if I suspected that my vendor was
doing that I would have no reservation in continuing my search for a
new house and withdraw from that sale if I found something else.

My nephew is trying to get on the property ladder in London. He can
just afford to buy something - everytime he gets an offer accepted he
gets gazumped a week or two later.

I saw one house on sale by "special auction" which purportedly
circumvented this merry go round. Something along the lines of
"sealed bids", deposits and 4 weeks deadline to completion.

Why are searches such an issue? Isn't it all yet computerised? What
happened to the house sellers pack? Why does every buyer who wants a
survey still have to arrange their own RICS approved? Surely one can
be held "in trust" by RICS or similar? I'm now going to be faced
with a dilemna that it is likely that the flat roof extension is going
to need re-felting ~ £2k. Do I renegotiate the purchase price having
shook hands on the deal?

--
AnthonyL

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

that depends whether 2K is material to the price or not

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

That's why the house stays on the market. Either you want it or you
don't. If you can't exchange contracts, an offer is worthless.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

Since there are plenty of buyers who put in offers on more than one house
at a time, it would be foolish of the vendor to take it off the market
after accepting an offer. But it works both ways, we had an accepted offer
& had a survey done - only to be told "We've changed our mind - we're not
selling". So, we ended up in the house we're in now.

My nephew is trying to get on the property ladder in London. He can just
afford to buy something - everytime he gets an offer accepted he gets
gazumped a week or two later.

I saw one house on sale by "special auction" which purportedly
circumvented this merry go round. Something along the lines of "sealed
bids", deposits and 4 weeks deadline to completion.

That's the Scottish way of doing things.

Why are searches such an issue?

When my daughter was trying to buy a flat 15 years ago, the searches to the
local authority had not been answered within the required 10 working days.
Querying this led to : Ms x who is dealing witn this only works one day a
week so it could take 10 weeks!

Isn't it all yet computerised? What happened to the house sellers pack?
Why does every buyer who wants a survey still have to arrange their own
RICS approved? Surely one can be held "in trust" by RICS or similar?
I'm now going to be faced with a dilemna that it is likely that the flat
roof extension is going to need re-felting ~ £2k. Do I renegotiate the
purchase price having shook hands on the deal?

Yes, because you were unaware of an undeclared defect.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
In articleSKednVHOkYp06DbInZ2dnUU78eednZ2d@brightvie w.co.uk, Capitol
wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

Never allow " under offer" to be displayed, it just puts off real buyers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Charles Hope wrote:
In , AnthonyL
wrote:
On Sun, 19 Jul 2015 11:03:36 +0100, wrote:

Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

Defects are not declared if unknown. Flat roofs always need refelting
at some point in time, when is a matter of opinion, unless actually
leaking. Either you want to buy it or you don't.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk, Dave
Liquorice scribeth thus
[...]

Instruction - little action usually without prodding;!....
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

As much a novice I am in this game if I suspected that my vendor was
doing that I would have no reservation in continuing my search for a
new house and withdraw from that sale if I found something else.

My nephew is trying to get on the property ladder in London. He can
just afford to buy something - everytime he gets an offer accepted he
gets gazumped a week or two later.

Poor sod, that must be so disheartening...

I saw one house on sale by "special auction" which purportedly
circumvented this merry go round. Something along the lines of
"sealed bids", deposits and 4 weeks deadline to completion.

Why are searches such an issue? Isn't it all yet computerised? What
happened to the house sellers pack? Why does every buyer who wants a
survey still have to arrange their own RICS approved? Surely one can
be held "in trust" by RICS or similar?

Perhaps its in someone's interests not to..

I'm now going to be faced
with a dilemna that it is likely that the flat roof extension is going
to need re-felting ~ £2k. Do I renegotiate the purchase price having
shook hands on the deal?

Mind you round here in Cambridge a house can go up in price by that
amount in a week;(...

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

Perhaps the answer to this is to mandate a small non refundable 2 way
deposit of say £500 (contract breaker loses it to the breakee). Not a
complete disaster if you have to pull out but enough to make time
wasters think twice. And if you get gazumped (which it will not stop if
the new offer is much better than the old), £500 is better than a kick
in the nads.

I saw one house on sale by "special auction" which purportedly
circumvented this merry go round. Something along the lines of
"sealed bids", deposits and 4 weeks deadline to completion.

Why are searches such an issue? Isn't it all yet computerised? What
happened to the house sellers pack?

Because, unless it it done and issued by a neutral 3rd party, no one
will trust it.

Why does every buyer who wants a
survey still have to arrange their own RICS approved? Surely one can
be held "in trust" by RICS or similar? I'm now going to be faced
with a dilemna that it is likely that the flat roof extension is going
to need re-felting ~ £2k. Do I renegotiate the purchase price having
shook hands on the deal?

Yes, you can.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Watts
writes
On 19/07/15 11:19, AnthonyL wrote:
What
happened to the house sellers pack?

Because, unless it it done and issued by a neutral 3rd party, no one
will trust it.

Not sure what the seller pack comprised but, here in Scotland, the
seller provides, and pays for, a property survey which is available to
any prospective purchaser. It is unusual for the eventual purchaser to
then arrange yet another survey.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, July 19, 2015 at 12:40:32 PM UTC+1, News wrote:
In message , Tim Watts
writes
On 19/07/15 11:19, AnthonyL wrote:
What
happened to the house sellers pack?

Because, unless it it done and issued by a neutral 3rd party, no one
will trust it.

Not sure what the seller pack comprised but, here in Scotland, the
seller provides, and pays for, a property survey which is available to
any prospective purchaser. It is unusual for the eventual purchaser to
then arrange yet another survey.
--
Graeme

Home Buyer Report , a "survey" which is a valuation nothing more. An Energy Performance Certificate, sure readers here are aware of the shortcomings of such things and a Homeowners questionaire, which will reveal precisely nothing.
For the pleasure of offering this to your buyers £480 Incl VAT

If it`s on the market longer than 3 months , lenders will often want it `refreshed` the valuation confirmed, 100 quid plus VAT.

The "Surveyor" is legally obliged not to discuss the results with the vendor who paid for it and will simply confirm points to a buyer enquiry.

The HR value sets the market value of the property,get different surveyors with different opinions of near identical property with large HR valuation differences.

The Scottish market is clearly not as healthy as the southern pressure cooker, there are lots of properties marketed at `£X,000 below HR.

Home Reports are a total con on both seller and buyer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/07/2015 16:20, Dave Liquorice wrote:
If you can't get insurance that indicates a serious problem with the
propetry not a place "needing a bit of work". Amongst other things it
means it's in a flood zone, has serious structural problems, close to
a quickly erroding coastline, etc.

In our case the problem with insurance was unsafe (rubber!) wiring under
a thatched roof. The unsurer gave us 90 days to get it done... the best
bit was phoning the vendor's own insurance company, and them saying "How
long has it been thatched?"

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 19 Jul 2015 21:38:17 +0100, Vir Campestris wrote:

On 18/07/2015 16:20, Dave Liquorice wrote:
If you can't get insurance that indicates a serious problem with the
propetry not a place "needing a bit of work". Amongst other things it
means it's in a flood zone, has serious structural problems, close to a
quickly erroding coastline, etc.

In our case the problem with insurance was unsafe (rubber!) wiring under
a thatched roof. The unsurer gave us 90 days to get it done... the best

I really like that 'typo'^^^ :-) The U and the I being adjacent keys
makes it totally plausible to deny accusations of it being a Freudian
slip.

bit was phoning the vendor's own insurance company, and them saying "How
long has it been thatched?"

The answer to which should be another question, "How about forever, is
forever good enough for you?" :-)

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 2015-07-19, AnthonyL wrote:

Why are searches such an issue? Isn't it all yet computerised?

No. At least it wasn't when I personally did the Local Authority search
for this house. It was a big book of maps with all the proposed planning
applications written in in pencil. I'm told it hasn't changed.

What does 'searches' provide that I cannot find out for myself by going
to the local authrity website and looking up both current and historical
planning applications?

I'm now going to be faced
with a dilemna that it is likely that the flat roof extension is going
to need re-felting ~ £2k. Do I renegotiate the purchase price having
shook hands on the deal?

Depends how much of a ******* you feel. Like Sam Goldwyn (allegedly)
said; "Verbal contracts aren't worth the paper they're written on."

The sole change that the house buying process needs in this country is
to make offers & acceptances legally binding.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2015-07-19, AnthonyL wrote:

Why are searches such an issue? Isn't it all yet computerised?

No. At least it wasn't when I personally did the Local Authority search
for this house. It was a big book of maps with all the proposed planning
applications written in in pencil. I'm told it hasn't changed.

What does 'searches' provide that I cannot find out for myself by going
to the local authrity website and looking up both current and historical
planning applications?

Do you know if the house has a warren of tunnels underneath it[1]? Of if
there are plans for a motorway extension?

[1] Mining, railway (trains and/or drains), services (gas, oil, HV cables).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/07/2015 09:50, Adrian wrote:
On Wed, 15 Jul 2015 08:18:46 +0000, AnthonyL wrote:

snip

Whatever you do, don't go with the EA's "recommended" solicitor. The EA
works for the vendor, and their pet solicitor will be kicking them back.

Maybe, but perhaps the EA might be sympathetic to you as a result?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Tim Watts
scribeth thus
On 2015-07-19, AnthonyL wrote:

Why are searches such an issue? Isn't it all yet computerised?

No. At least it wasn't when I personally did the Local Authority search
for this house. It was a big book of maps with all the proposed planning
applications written in in pencil. I'm told it hasn't changed.

What does 'searches' provide that I cannot find out for myself by going
to the local authrity website and looking up both current and historical
planning applications?

Do you know if the house has a warren of tunnels underneath it[1]? Of if
there are plans for a motorway extension?

[1] Mining, railway (trains and/or drains), services (gas, oil, HV cables).

Do they really check for HV cables?..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Check the boundaries on the property deeds against what you see on the ground. You can download the deeds for a few pounds to avoid waiting around for your conveyancer to get them.

Check the council website for planning applications. Your conveyancer will only search for ones very close to your property and might miss the football stadium being built in a nearby field.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/07/2015 00:52, Johnny B Good wrote:
On Sun, 19 Jul 2015 21:38:17 +0100, Vir Campestris wrote:

In our case the problem with insurance was unsafe (rubber!) wiring under
a thatched roof. The unsurer gave us 90 days to get it done... the best

I really like that 'typo'^^^:-) The U and the I being adjacent keys
makes it totally plausible to deny accusations of it being a Freudian
slip.

It _was_ a typo. And I spotted it, but decided to leave it

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 20 Jul 2015 21:44:38 +0100, Vir Campestris wrote:

On 20/07/2015 00:52, Johnny B Good wrote:
On Sun, 19 Jul 2015 21:38:17 +0100, Vir Campestris wrote:

In our case the problem with insurance was unsafe (rubber!) wiring
under a thatched roof. The unsurer gave us 90 days to get it done...
the best

I really like that 'typo'^^^:-) The U and the I being adjacent keys
makes it totally plausible to deny accusations of it being a Freudian
slip.

It _was_ a typo. And I spotted it, but decided to leave it

And, for the reasons I offered (and the fact that I would have done
exactly the same if it had been my posting), I totally believe you! :-)

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 2015-07-19, AnthonyL wrote:

Why are searches such an issue? Isn't it all yet computerised?

No. At least it wasn't when I personally did the Local Authority search
for this house. It was a big book of maps with all the proposed planning
applications written in in pencil. I'm told it hasn't changed.

What does 'searches' provide that I cannot find out for myself by going
to the local authrity website and looking up both current and historical
planning applications?

Do you know if the house has a warren of tunnels underneath it[1]? Of if
there are plans for a motorway extension?

[1] Mining, railway (trains and/or drains), services (gas, oil, HV cables).

And I can't find that out for myself from public sources? And how can I
be sure that the official searcher is diligent and really knows what to
look for. Rather like surveys, it seems to me that one is paying for
little more someones professional indemnity insurance: if it turns out
bad and you have the resources you can try winning a payout in the blame
game.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 20/07/15 20:56, matthelliwell wrote:
Check the boundaries on the property deeds against what you see on the ground. You can download the deeds for a few pounds to avoid waiting around for your conveyancer to get them.

Online from Land Registry: £3 for the title and £3 for the plan. Will
also tell you ownership details and if there are any covenants.
Sometimes worth checking details of neighbouring properties too. A few
pounds well spent in my opinion, and as the online result is instant can
be done before making an offer.

Check the council website for planning applications. Your conveyancer will only search for ones very close to your property and might miss the football stadium being built in a nearby field.

I agree. Many councils (eg Wiltshire) have the details of all planning
on a map so you can zoom around the area looking for things. Can be
particularly useful in giving an impression of the neighbourhood if you
are unfamiliar with the area.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/07/15 08:20, DJC wrote:

And I can't find that out for myself from public sources?

I presume so - but where? You tell me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 18 Jul 2015 16:20:34 +0100 (BST) Dave Liquorice wrote :
If you can't get insurance that indicates a serious problem with the
propetry not a place "needing a bit of work". Amongst other things it
means it's in a flood zone, has serious structural problems, close to
a quickly erroding coastline, etc.

Not always that simple. Short story: houseowner gets mate to build
porch. Porch suffers subsidence. Insurance pays for professional
underpinning which gets BR approval, which later shows up on search
when nephew wants to buy said house and this makes it uninsurable. With
non underpinned wonky porch he'd have been ok.

Melbourne, Australia www.greentram.com