Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

Default Things on my mind (1)

Whilst having the bonfire that I have to have because the council won't
take all our rubbish I chanced upon a small directory, one of those that
comes free.

Of course I looked at the 'Aerials' section. I have in-depth knowledge
of all the local aerial firms, and I can tell you that every single one
of those with display adverts should, in my opinion, be avoided by the
consumer. The larger the advert the worse the advertiser! It seems that
the better people don't advertise as widely as the others.

What should the poor customer do? I really don't know, but looking
around at the rooftops in this area there's going to be a rich harvest
of work for all installers when there's a gale.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, July 14, 2015 at 3:01:20 PM UTC+1, Bill Wright wrote:
Whilst having the bonfire that I have to have because the council won't
take all our rubbish I chanced upon a small directory, one of those that
comes free.

Of course I looked at the 'Aerials' section. I have in-depth knowledge
of all the local aerial firms, and I can tell you that every single one
of those with display adverts should, in my opinion, be avoided by the
consumer. The larger the advert the worse the advertiser! It seems that
the better people don't advertise as widely as the others.

What should the poor customer do? I really don't know, but looking
around at the rooftops in this area there's going to be a rich harvest
of work for all installers when there's a gale.

Bill

I wonder with digital tv how many people could get away with an antenna in their attic anyway. Even a coat hanger antenna high up in an upstairs room gets all the channels here on the south coast with the strong signal from Rowridge.

There's the likes of Checkatrade etc. but the best bet as always is word of mouth.

Philip
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 14/07/2015 15:01, Bill Wright wrote:
Whilst having the bonfire that I have to have because the council won't
take all our rubbish I chanced upon a small directory, one of those that
comes free.

Of course I looked at the 'Aerials' section. I have in-depth knowledge
of all the local aerial firms, and I can tell you that every single one
of those with display adverts should, in my opinion, be avoided by the
consumer. The larger the advert the worse the advertiser! It seems that
the better people don't advertise as widely as the others.

What should the poor customer do? I really don't know, but looking
around at the rooftops in this area there's going to be a rich harvest
of work for all installers when there's a gale.

My local council publishes a booklet of trustworthy tradesmen, and all
they ask is that anybody who chooses a tradesman from the book sends in
feedback of what they thought of the job that was done, so that it is
possible to check that standards are being maintained.

An elderly neighbour of mine asked me to have a look at her "hot water"
because sometimes it wasn't running hot. I had a quick look and found
that her gas multipoint had a pilot light burning, but perhaps one time
out of three the main burner didn't try to light when a tap was turned
on. I called a plumber from the council booklet and he was excellent.
He told me which part was failing, he told me which part was going to
fail soon, and he asked me if he should replace both or just the failing
piece (and of course I said do both, but it was good that the choice was
offered). It was a reasonable price and he did a full service as well
as the repair and he left the place spotless.

If your council does something similar, it seems to be a good place to
start.

Jim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

in 1406496 20150714 150115 Bill Wright wrote:
Whilst having the bonfire that I have to have because the council won't
take all our rubbish ...

No amenity tip nearby?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bob Martin
writes
in 1406496 20150714 150115 Bill Wright wrote:
Whilst having the bonfire that I have to have because the council won't
take all our rubbish ...

No amenity tip nearby?

Difficult. Our local amenity tip comprises two dust carts parked side
by side, one taking garden rubbish, the other taking anything else,
within reason. Within reason excludes the obvious such as paint, oil,
batteries, tyres, fridges, TVs, monitors etc., which have to be taken to
a larger tip 25 miles away.

We're in a village, and I can understand the LA not providing full
facilities in every village, but a 50 mile round trip does encourage fly
tipping. I just pile stuff up until I have enough to fill car and
trailer, to justify the trip, but not everyone has enough space.

--
Graeme

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 15 July 2015 08:50:34 UTC+1, News wrote:
In message , Bob Martin
writes
in 1406496 20150714 150115 Bill Wright wrote:
Whilst having the bonfire that I have to have because the council won't
take all our rubbish ...

No amenity tip nearby?

Difficult. Our local amenity tip comprises two dust carts parked side
by side, one taking garden rubbish, the other taking anything else,
within reason. Within reason excludes the obvious such as paint, oil,
batteries, tyres, fridges, TVs, monitors etc., which have to be taken to
a larger tip 25 miles away.

We're in a village, and I can understand the LA not providing full
facilities in every village, but a 50 mile round trip does encourage fly
tipping. I just pile stuff up until I have enough to fill car and
trailer, to justify the trip, but not everyone has enough space.

--

Can't you phone them up to collect it. I think I can have 2 or 3 free collections a year for such large items. Remember not everyone has a car or can use a mini-cab to take their crap to the skip.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Martin wrote:
in 1406496 20150714 150115 Bill Wright wrote:
Whilst having the bonfire that I have to have because the council won't
take all our rubbish ...

No amenity tip nearby?

They won't let me use the van and I'm not going to put dirty things in
the car.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:

Bob Martin wrote:
in 1406496 20150714 150115 Bill Wright wrote:
Whilst having the bonfire that I have to have because the council won't
take all our rubbish ...

No amenity tip nearby?

They won't let me use the van and I'm not going to put dirty things in
the car.

WON'T let you use it? All the councils (all three of them ) that I
know have arrangements for vans; my best mate has a van instead of a
car, and, on application, has been issued with 12 free permits for the
year for the occasions when they want to visit the tip.

J.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/07/2015 17:03, Another John wrote:
In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:

Bob Martin wrote:
in 1406496 20150714 150115 Bill Wright wrote:
Whilst having the bonfire that I have to have because the council won't
take all our rubbish ...

No amenity tip nearby?

They won't let me use the van and I'm not going to put dirty things in
the car.

WON'T let you use it? All the councils (all three of them ) that I
know have arrangements for vans; my best mate has a van instead of a
car, and, on application, has been issued with 12 free permits for the
year for the occasions when they want to visit the tip.

J.

At ours, you have to book it in first, have to bring ID, and can't use
tip at weekends.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote:

Bob Martin wrote:
in 1406496 20150714 150115 Bill Wright wrote:
Whilst having the bonfire that I have to have because the council won't
take all our rubbish ...

No amenity tip nearby?

They won't let me use the van and I'm not going to put dirty things in
the car.

WON'T let you use it? All the councils (all three of them ) that I
know have arrangements for vans; my best mate has a van instead of a
car, and, on application, has been issued with 12 free permits for the
year for the occasions when they want to visit the tip.

J.

At ours, you have to book it in first, have to bring ID, and can't use
tip at weekends.

Occasionally (just occasionally) I have sympathy with governments who
want to centralise everything.

*I* dunno: they issue national requirements to pursue a national policy
(e.g. waste processing and recycling), and then (apparently) let every
bloody council (let the number be 'n') decide how best they're going to
do it, and thus create 'n' committees made up of Tom Dick and Harry each
decide for themselves how this scheme will be carried out.

tangent
I was at one o'them there scrap yards the other day ("metal recycling
plant"?) First time I'd been to a scrapyard for about 25 years. All
the same dodgy looking faces, all the same dodgy looking pickups, all
the same dodgy looking "scrap"! Very impressive operation though, and
much better payment system. However railway lines (for example) are
still losing their cables, I understand.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
whisky-dave writes
On Wednesday, 15 July 2015 08:50:34 UTC+1, News wrote:

We're in a village, and I can understand the LA not providing full
facilities in every village, but a 50 mile round trip does encourage fly
tipping. I just pile stuff up until I have enough to fill car and
trailer, to justify the trip, but not everyone has enough space.

Can't you phone them up to collect it. I think I can have 2 or 3 free
collections a year for such large items. Remember not everyone has a
car or can use a mini-cab to take their crap to the skip.

To be honest, I don't know. I just save enough until I have a car or
trailer load, or am going in that direction anyway. The only problem
item in 13 years is an old oil fired boiler, and that sits in a hidden
corner of the garden because it is so bloody heavy :-)
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 14 July 2015 15:01:20 UTC+1, Bill Wright wrote:
Whilst having the bonfire that I have to have because the council won't
take all our rubbish I chanced upon a small directory, one of those that
comes free.

Of course I looked at the 'Aerials' section. I have in-depth knowledge
of all the local aerial firms, and I can tell you that every single one
of those with display adverts should, in my opinion, be avoided by the
consumer. The larger the advert the worse the advertiser! It seems that
the better people don't advertise as widely as the others.

What should the poor customer do? I really don't know, but looking
around at the rooftops in this area there's going to be a rich harvest
of work for all installers when there's a gale.

Bill

DIY of course.
Installers'd be eating grass if they had to rely on me.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 15 July 2015 17:03:12 UTC+1, Another John wrote:
In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:

Bob Martin wrote:
in 1406496 20150714 150115 Bill Wright wrote:
Whilst having the bonfire that I have to have because the council won't
take all our rubbish ...

No amenity tip nearby?

They won't let me use the van and I'm not going to put dirty things in
the car.

WON'T let you use it? All the councils (all three of them ) that I
know have arrangements for vans; my best mate has a van instead of a
car, and, on application, has been issued with 12 free permits for the
year for the occasions when they want to visit the tip.

Maybe differnt councils have differnt methods/ideas, here's mine.

http://www.walthamforest.gov.uk/Page...ng-centre.aspx

Vans are only allowed on Wednesdays and Saturdays
If you intend to bring a van, please call 020 8509 3664 the day before visiting so the height barrier can be opened for booked vehicles

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote:

Bob Martin wrote:
[...]

Our local waste disposal site have strange interpretation of commercial
vehicles. I now have to have a permit to dump anything from my 1972 rag top
Land Rover as they recently decided its a commercial vehicle. Yet they have
never queried my pals 2012 Defender 90!

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote:

Bob Martin wrote:
[...]

Mine has decided that all hardcore/building waste is now chargeable
==================
Residents will be charged at the same rate as trade or commercial waste,
if they want to dispose of soil, brick, rubble, DIY and construction
waste. Currently, the minimum charge is £21 and vehicles will need to
use the weighbridge for an exact price.
==================

So, £21 to dispose of a single brick! That's enough to turn anyone into
a fly-tipper.
A more sensible (and cheaper in the long-run) idea would have been a
hardcore skip where the entry holes are small, and 6 feet off the ground

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Muddymike
writes
Bill Wright wrote:

Bob Martin wrote:
in 1406496 20150714 150115 Bill Wright wrote:
Whilst having the bonfire that I have to have because the
council won't
take all our rubbish ...

No amenity tip nearby?

They won't let me use the van and I'm not going to put dirty things in
the car.

WON'T let you use it? All the councils (all three of them ) that I
know have arrangements for vans; my best mate has a van instead of a
car, and, on application, has been issued with 12 free permits for the
year for the occasions when they want to visit the tip.

Maybe differnt councils have differnt methods/ideas, here's mine.

http://www.walthamforest.gov.uk/Page...access-road-ho
usehold-waste-and-recycling-centre.aspx

Vans are only allowed on Wednesdays and Saturdays
If you intend to bring a van, please call 020 8509 3664 the day before
visiting so the height barrier can be opened for booked vehicles

Our local waste disposal site have strange interpretation of commercial
vehicles. I now have to have a permit to dump anything from my 1972 rag
top Land Rover as they recently decided its a commercial vehicle. Yet
they have never queried my pals 2012 Defender 90!

Mike

Defender CSW is an estate car. Rag/hardtop is a van.
--
bert

OT What Is It ? .. oh never mind. [email protected] Woodworking 1 April 26th 14 03:26 PM
Who in their right mind ARW UK diy 15 May 9th 13 03:21 AM
Am I losing my mind? klem kedidelhopper Electronics Repair 12 May 19th 12 12:06 AM
Mind stretching Jim Thompson[_3_] Electronic Schematics 17 April 30th 12 02:41 AM
Help - camcorder with mind of its own ?? Samantha Electronics Repair 4 April 20th 05 05:11 AM