Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Before you throw away that fridge...

See, sometimes when you keep something in the "might come in handy"
pile, you do find a use for it:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...able_Wine_Rack

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, July 9, 2015 at 10:34:32 AM UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:

"I saved the metal shelves that went in it before lobbing the remainder in a skip"

Surely you aren't allowed to simply "lob an old fridge in the skip" in these environmentally conscious times?

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/07/2015 12:17, RobertL wrote:
On Thursday, July 9, 2015 at 10:34:32 AM UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:

"I saved the metal shelves that went in it before lobbing the
remainder in a skip"

Surely you aren't allowed to simply "lob an old fridge in the skip"
in these environmentally conscious times?

I did not hear the skip complain ;-)

It was a peltier effect cooler type of design - no compressor or gas...
It was fairly useless when new (it could not drop more than about 5 deg
below ambient, and had a minimum setting of 11 deg C), so it could
manage a bit cooler, but never chilled.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 9 July 2015 13:24:16 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 09/07/2015 12:17, RobertL wrote:
On Thursday, July 9, 2015 at 10:34:32 AM UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:

"I saved the metal shelves that went in it before lobbing the
remainder in a skip"

Surely you aren't allowed to simply "lob an old fridge in the skip"
in these environmentally conscious times?

I did not hear the skip complain ;-)

It was a peltier effect cooler type of design - no compressor or gas...
It was fairly useless when new (it could not drop more than about 5 deg
below ambient, and had a minimum setting of 11 deg C), so it could
manage a bit cooler, but never chilled.

Hopefully you harvested the peltier(s). External insulation can get more cooling, but its never pretty.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

RobertL wrote:
On Thursday, July 9, 2015 at 10:34:32 AM UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:

"I saved the metal shelves that went in it before lobbing the remainder in a skip"

Surely you aren't allowed to simply "lob an old fridge in the skip" in these environmentally conscious times?

I was expecting a more innovative use of the body. Raised bed, cold
frame, fishtank, hydroponics, parts storage?

Theo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/07/2015 10:34, John Rumm wrote:

See, sometimes when you keep something in the "might come in handy"
pile, you do find a use for it:

I am convinced that everything in that pile will find a use, someday. :-)

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 9 July 2015 16:17:23 UTC+1, Nightjar wrote:
I am convinced that everything in that pile will find a use, someday. :-)

My problem is often that I know I've got it but I can't find it.

Or I then realise after several hours' hunting for it that I already used it for something else.

Turning the former kitchen ceiling into a hall cupboard was quite a good bit of re-use, I thought, and I still have quite a lot of ceiling left.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"RobertL" wrote in message
On Thursday, July 9, 2015 at 10:34:32 AM UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:

"I saved the metal shelves that went in it before lobbing the remainder in
a skip"

Surely you aren't allowed to simply "lob an old fridge in the skip" in
these environmentally conscious times?

You can lob it into someone elses skip at night.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2015-07-09, John Rumm wrote:

See, sometimes when you keep something in the "might come in handy"
pile, you do find a use for it:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...able_Wine_Rack

Nice.

I find that the drawer from a freezer we threw away a long time ago
still works well, upside-down, for draining sanitized homebrew
bottles. The necks fit in the holes in the grid but don't touch the
surface below.

And here's why you want to save the cut-outs from installing sinks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EtosSJE-70

"Handyman Corner", starting at 5:37. (Some of the other sketches are
pretty good too.)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2015-07-09, John Rumm wrote:

See, sometimes when you keep something in the "might come in handy"
pile, you do find a use for it:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...able_Wine_Rack

Nice.

I find that the drawer from a freezer we threw away a long time ago
still works well, upside-down, for draining sanitized homebrew
bottles. The necks fit in the holes in the grid but don't touch the
surface below.

And here's why you want to save the cut-outs from installing sinks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EtosSJE-70

"Handyman Corner", starting at 5:37. (Some of the other sketches are
pretty good too.)

I saved an old small non working under counter fridge with the intention of using it to store rust prone tools but I couldn't stand the look of it in the workshop

Throw them out. Ian Field Electronic Schematics 25 May 12th 15 06:43 PM
Fix or throw away Clanger UK diy 13 March 20th 15 08:08 PM
I never throw anything away Bill who putters Home Repair 59 November 21st 10 03:32 PM
O/T: Throw Another Log On The Fire Lew Hodgett[_6_] Woodworking 30 April 24th 10 04:14 AM
Don't throw away the batteries [email protected] Home Repair 19 November 12th 07 12:51 PM